Map of all the people that have visited your cache?

Dekaner

What would be neat would be to have a map of all the people that have visited your cache based on their home coordinates.

Maybe a top 10 of people who have traveled the farthest to visit a cache?

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

Sorry, I would think that would violate people's right to privacy. I certainly don't want my home coordinates published, although obviously the general area of my cache logs gives you some idea.

I say no to this one...

Happy Caching!

LindaLu

Although I do list the city I live in. I think any of that info should be voluntary.

You could certainly ask people to list where they are from when they log their visits to your cache. Then you could make your own pin map showing where people have come from.

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

Hehe, funny, but you know...

When I see people post their coordinates in emails and on their signatures I usually comment that I am loading their coords into a smart missle with their name on it! I am just being funny icon_wink.gif , but it does make them think about it at least. Most of them then remove it.

I support the Georgia Geocachers Association, or the GGA!

Hehe, funny, but you know...

When I see people post their coordinates in emails and on their signatures I usually comment that I am loading their coords into a smart missle with their name on it! I am just being funny icon_wink.gif , but it does make them think about it at least. Most of them then remove it.

I support the Georgia Geocachers Association, or the GGA!

Why are so many people hung up on wanting to be anonomous and then calling it merely protecting their "right to privacy"? I find it such a strange concept. Am I weird to have my name and address listed in my telephone directory (which is posted on the internet)? Am I stupid to let the world know my real e-mail address? I find it easier and less complicated to live my life as an open book. Maybe one day I will regret it... but I haven't yet. When I see someone who seeks to be hidden or anonomous in the community in which they live or interact with, my immediate reaction is to distrust them.

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

1. A very high level map you can't zoom on of the world listing all the folks who found your cache as pushpins would be near impossible to sort out, especially if there weren't notations as to who each pushpin went to. I doubt there would be any complaints with this.

2. If I added an additional coordinate field where you could add your visible home coordinates (by choice), would that be acceptable? Of course it would be opt in and folks could just pick a nearby park so it was close but not *that* close.

As privacy goes, I agree wholeheartedly in a person's right to choose what info they want known and what they don't. That's why I take pains to have emails go through the web site. I definitely wouldn't let that information be available without the owner's explicit permission. We get spammed enough, neh?

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Make maps for locationless caches from all of the coordinates that people enter. I did this for the first 50 or so entries from my Don't Know Much About History cache, but it soon become a real pain to record the details. Now at 150 entries, with 1-3 added everyday, I am now way behind. It would also be cool if you could download a .loc file with the coordinates, usernames, and dates of the finds for a cache. Since this would have no privacy implications, it could be done without user permission. The bugs could be ironed out using locationless caches as a test case. Then who knows what after that.

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

Why are so many people hung up on wanting to be anonomous and then calling it merely protecting their "right to privacy"? I find it such a strange concept. Am I weird to have my name and address listed in my telephone directory (which is posted on the internet)? Am I stupid...

No your not stupid. Maybe a little sheltered. I know Canada isn't crime free.

Anyways "right to privicy" is just a hot term thrown around by the media. It certainly sounds good when we don't have a thought out arguement.

There are millions of reasons a person may not want their home coordinates posted for anyone to see.

The first is why should I. I'm not inviting everyone in the world to my house. As we make friends with people we meet through this game of course they will be welcome at my house. However I don't want strangers knocking on my door. I'm certainly not hiding from the community.

Would you go to a public event and hand out your address to everyone attending just because their enjoying the same activities?

As for safety, not to sound paranoid, you can't be to careful. I work in a prison. Inmates are released every day. Inmates that have comitted every crime you can think of. I have seen ex-inmates every where I have been in this state. We even had to retrieve an escaped inmate from Hazlton, B.C. after he stabbed someone in a bar.

Now imagine that every prison in America and Canada is releasing prisoners every day. Can you tell which ones are violent offenders, or are mentally ill? It's against the law to keep someone in prison just because their mentally ill. All the inmates I've seen around the state are just the few I've recognized.

No I don't have my phone number in the directory. Does that mean I'm hiding from the community? Just activelly participating in this game and other outdoor activities, means I'm not.

I'm not hiding from the world, I'm just not inviting the world to my house.

Is that an inmate walking up the street behind you?icon_biggrin.gif

39197_400.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

Why are so many people hung up on wanting to be anonomous and then calling it merely protecting their "right to privacy"? I find it such a strange concept. Am I weird to have my name and address listed in my telephone directory (which is posted on the internet)? Am I stupid...

No your not stupid. Maybe a little sheltered. I know Canada isn't crime free.

Anyways "right to privicy" is just a hot term thrown around by the media. It certainly sounds good when we don't have a thought out arguement.

There are millions of reasons a person may not want their home coordinates posted for anyone to see.

The first is why should I. I'm not inviting everyone in the world to my house. As we make friends with people we meet through this game of course they will be welcome at my house. However I don't want strangers knocking on my door. I'm certainly not hiding from the community.

Would you go to a public event and hand out your address to everyone attending just because their enjoying the same activities?

As for safety, not to sound paranoid, you can't be to careful. I work in a prison. Inmates are released every day. Inmates that have comitted every crime you can think of. I have seen ex-inmates every where I have been in this state. We even had to retrieve an escaped inmate from Hazlton, B.C. after he stabbed someone in a bar.

Now imagine that every prison in America and Canada is releasing prisoners every day. Can you tell which ones are violent offenders, or are mentally ill? It's against the law to keep someone in prison just because their mentally ill. All the inmates I've seen around the state are just the few I've recognized.

No I don't have my phone number in the directory. Does that mean I'm hiding from the community? Just activelly participating in this game and other outdoor activities, means I'm not.

I'm not hiding from the world, I'm just not inviting the world to my house.

Is that an inmate walking up the street behind you?icon_biggrin.gif

39197_400.jpg

I have to agree with Seneca. I live my life as an open book and I don't fret. Someone's signature says "Don't worry about the noises in the night. Anything that truly means to harm you will stalk you silently". So, I don't bother trying to hide who I am. Then again, Mr. Mossburg sleeps under my bed should someone actually try something stupid. (Please, let's not have a gun-control debate here).

My home coordinates are actually my shop. That's where I work and surf and that's where I was the day I filled in my profile. If you want to know where I live, you need only look in the phone book.

As for a pin map, I think it would be kind of interesting to have a world map with a little point of light for each person who has listed their home coordinates. I wonder if it would look like that tiled image of the world taken from space that shows all the urban areas lit up.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

quote:
Originally posted by TresOkies:

As for a pin map, I think it would be kind of interesting to have a world map with a little point of light for each person who has listed their home coordinates. I wonder if it would look like that tiled image of the world taken from space that shows all the urban areas lit up.

That'd be this one.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

I don't post mine either, but I know that there is a good chance, with a little web searching, my or anybody's address can be found then there are websites to convert addresses to coordinates, heck my GPS V can convert addresses to coordinates then plan a route to it. But at least someone hunting would have to go to some effort.

Right Mtn-Man?

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

I don't post mine either, but I know that there is a good chance, with a little web searching, my or anybody's address can be found then there are websites to convert addresses to coordinates, heck my GPS V can convert addresses to coordinates then plan a route to it. But at least someone hunting would have to go to some effort.

Right Mtn-Man?

I know this thread is teetering on the old side, but I really like this idea.

Respecting people's right to privacy is important, You'd never catch me giving out personal information. (cell) 510-543-8836

Seriously, would anyone care if it was the zipcode or a truncated set of coordinates? (rounded to the minute - about a square mile)

A square mile in Berkeley is a completely different animal than one in a remote area, so feel free to poo-poo this idea on safety concerns if you live in the boonies.

Also, what about a pull-down resolution meter that would allow people with any concerns to decrease the accuracy (truncate further) their coordinates?

I for one, can pretty much post my exact coordinates and still feel pretty safe here. (Multi-story building is where I hang my hat)

I can't be the only one who thinks it's pretty dang cool to have a regular here that is posting from Thialand.

My favorite food joint is Thia, the family that owns it is in some way connected to Tiger Woods because they have this *HUGE* autographed poster of him and a smaller photo showing him shaking hands with the owner.

I wonder if he's be interested in geocaching?

Dear Mr. Woods....