What do you use to cache?

When i started i actually didn't use anything other then google maps. I would put in the coordinates and get an idea where it was and then search around that are. just recently i bought the app and i absolutely love it. so what do you guys use and why?

I have used PDA's, smartphones, car gps systems and various hand-held gps units. I still have not found what I would consider the perfect solution. If I could combine the screen, geocaching app and on-demand aerial images of my iphone with the robustness, accuracy, battery life and water resistance of my PN-40 I would be a happy camper. If I could afford it :unsure:

I have ended up suddenly up to my chest in water that I thought was knee deep so I really don't like using the iphone when caching just because it is so fragile and I depend on it for much more then geocaching. But for a quick spur of the moment easy terrain cache hunt the iphone (maybe other smartphones as well) can't be beat(provided I have a data signal on AT&T spotty data network).

I use either my smartphone, or my smartphone in combination with an external bluetooth GPS. The external bluetooth gps extends the battery life of the phone, and is much more accuriate. Unfortunatly, my new phone (WP7) does not support the Serial Port Profile for bluetooth, so I can't use my external GPS. That kind of makes me angry!

I use a 60csx with cachemate on my smartphone for my normal caching. I use the geocaching app on my pone for spur of the moment caching when I am without my GPSr. I also use my phone when I get a new cache notification. But even then (and usually when I'm outside my home area) I take my GPS in case I can't get good enough sat signals my phone. Then I'll plug the numbers into my GPS and use it instead. I always use my GPS for cache placements. As a previous poster, there is no single perfect solution. Ya gotta find what works best for your caching style and needs.

cant beat a smartphone with good apps, especially in conjunction

with a quality handheld

I use a Droid and Garmin 62st

its also helpful to use a car gps with a PQ loaded so you can easily see

or navigate to GZ rather than looking at your phone or handheld. Safer

and legal that way too

I use my Garmin Dakota 20 for real caching, but I also use C:Geo on my HTC Thunderbolt for the occasional quick P&G or when I need a cache to fill in a day on my GeoCalendar.

A smartphone is a great caching tool, but is definitely no replacement for a real GPSr.

Garmin 62S is my current favorite.

The quickest to respond is the old Garmin Legend.

The Garmin Nuvi in the car is good for finding streets to get to the cache area.

The droid phone is good as a toy, and fun to see if it matches up with the handheld (rarely).

...and sometimes we just let someone else point to Zero...and we search for the cache. :rolleyes:

Wow! I found 200+ caches with my BlackBerry. The Thunderbolt has been very accurate. However, I dropped it face down on a rock and scratched it a little. So I try not to use it.

Use a hard case and an lanyard. So far I have used phones for all of my cacheing, including 5* terrain (not special equipment 5*), and have no noticable damage from caching.

With me, it's always been a hand-held GPS, though I can admit to a few finds using a hockey-puck GPS plugged into the laptop in the car, and walking blind from there to GZ. I have a pretty wide assortment, mostly Garmins a few Lowrances, 3 limited DeLorme's (2 pucks, and a Bluetooth) and 3 Magellans.. But, as of late, I've been using a Garmin eTrex Summit-HC, and a Magellan Explorist-GC.

My Cell Phone, has always been a pre-paid, so no apps, or GPS in it.

Stephen (gelfling6)

GPS. I've had all of mine in the drink (or snow, or ..) at one time or another. My cell phone would not approve. Neither does the battery do well with the GPS chip enabled all the time. Found that out trying to use it as a 'walking GPS device' in towns when traveling. Now I load any necessary openstreetmap maps to my Oregon instead.

Using printed Google maps to find a cache? That's hardcore and I commend you. :o

I started with a car GPS (Nuvi 3790) and it wasn't that great. Tried my Blackberry

with stock maps and it was much worse. Now I use the Nuvi to get me to the parking

coordinates (if available) and a Garmin 62ST handheld to find the cache. The combo is

about as good as it gets I think. Even better now with the birdseye sat pics on the handheld.

Doesn't help me find the cache's though....still averaging about 50% first time out. :lol:

B.

Unfortunately, geosense is the best tool for finding caches, and you can't buy that.

True enough :lol: I'm getting better though. Experience definitely helps.

Was stymied on one yesterday. Sat down on a log and took in the whole area.

Eye finally twigged on a piece of wood that just didn't "look right".

Climbed up and moved it and sure enough he cache was behind it.

I have a new respect for trackers and am beginning to understand some of the things

they must look for. At first it was frustrating, but I now understand if all the

caches were QEF's you'd get bored of the hobby pretty quickly.

B.

Edited by BStheTech

When i started i actually didn't use anything other then google maps. I would put in the coordinates and get an idea where it was and then search around that are. just recently i bought the app and i absolutely love it. so what do you guys use and why?

I still do it this way!

A new iPhone (with GPS) is on the top of my wish-list, and later on I will buy a GPS.

I've been using a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx in conjunction with an Apple iPod Touch running the Geosphere app for a while now. The combo works really well together and am surprised no one else has mentioned using Geosphere. Lately, when caching in cities and towns I'm a stranger to, I'll add a third gadget in the mix and use a Nuvi 1350t so I can have spoken directions rather than having to rely on the eTrex's beeps. Also, the response/reaction time on the Nuvi is better and the screen is easier to follow.

I use a GPSr and I often copy/paste the cache coordinates into Google Earth to get an overview of where I'll be going. I generally choose caches that have been found fairly recently but I still log a lot of DNF's. I'm up over 300 finds and some might think by now I've seen it all...NOT! I've met, and seen the logs from, fellow geocachers with numbers in the thousands who post DNF's, so there are some tricky cache owners out there, LOL. I'm not the world's most patient guy and still, after all those caches, find myself saying, "Well, I'm at GZ, why isn't it at my feet?". DOH!

When I had my 60CSx I would use it as my primary tool and the iPhone was there for cache information or to use for spur-of-the-moment hunts.

Now that I have a Dakota 20 that is small enough to keep with me all the time and does paperless caching my phone barely leaves my pocket while caching where it stays safe®.