PM cache question

I went after my first PM cache earlier this week, after finally taking the plunge & upgrading to a PM. Looking at the map, I thought it would be at/near a local landmark. When I got to gz, it turned out to be 1/2-3/4 mile from the location with no mention of that landmark. Instead, it was a micro in a signpost. There was no mention of anything special about the nearby creek (grandpa & I used to fish here & this cache is to honor him, etc...) or the adjacent field (this was where mom & dad's first home was etc...). There was nothing in the description to indicate anything special about this particular cache at all. To be honest, it was like all of the other signpost micros around here that are a dime a dozen.

Don't get me wrong - I like a quick post or bridge PNG as much as the next guy if I'm just making a quick stop enroute from one errand to another, and I don't ever mean to sound ungreatful for the work a CO has put into placing a cache. However, I was under the impression (perhaps mistakingly) that PM caches were either in areas where they wanted to limit the amount of traffic (such as to a delicate nature area or on private property, etc...), or perhaps to a special location. In this case, if the CO had gone less than a mile further, they could've put it within view of the landmark and provided a brief, neat history of the landmark. I doubt many who are just passing through even know it's there, and it's just off a main highway. In all fairness, there is a cemetery cache near the landmark but I don't see how a PM cache in the same general vicinity would cause a problem. It wasn't even the difficulty of the cache that bothered me; I love easy caches in special locations.

Can someone please enlighten me about PM caches? Are they usually/supposed to be anything special or did I make an incorrect assumption?

(And before anyone flames me for not hiding any, I just started actively caching again in late April after a 5 year hiatus. We are moving to a new state this weekend, which I knew when I started caching again. I promise - I'll become a CO once we get settled.)

Thanks!

Melissa

I went after my first PM cache earlier this week, after finally taking the plunge & upgrading to a PM. Looking at the map, I thought it would be at/near a local landmark. When I got to gz, it turned out to be 1/2-3/4 mile from the location with no mention of that landmark. Instead, it was a micro in a signpost. There was no mention of anything special about the nearby creek (grandpa & I used to fish here & this cache is to honor him, etc...) or the adjacent field (this was where mom & dad's first home was etc...). There was nothing in the description to indicate anything special about this particular cache at all. To be honest, it was like all of the other signpost micros around here that are a dime a dozen.

Don't get me wrong - I like a quick post or bridge PNG as much as the next guy if I'm just making a quick stop enroute from one errand to another, and I don't ever mean to sound ungreatful for the work a CO has put into placing a cache. However, I was under the impression (perhaps mistakingly) that PM caches were either in areas where they wanted to limit the amount of traffic (such as to a delicate nature area or on private property, etc...), or perhaps to a special location. In this case, if the CO had gone less than a mile further, they could've put it within view of the landmark and provided a brief, neat history of the landmark. I doubt many who are just passing through even know it's there, and it's just off a main highway. In all fairness, there is a cemetery cache near the landmark but I don't see how a PM cache in the same general vicinity would cause a problem. It wasn't even the difficulty of the cache that bothered me; I love easy caches in special locations.

Can someone please enlighten me about PM caches? Are they usually/supposed to be anything special or did I make an incorrect assumption?

(And before anyone flames me for not hiding any, I just started actively caching again in late April after a 5 year hiatus. We are moving to a new state this weekend, which I knew when I started caching again. I promise - I'll become a CO once we get settled.)

Thanks!

Melissa

The only thing special about PM caches is that only PMs can see them. :shocked: They are no better or worse then any other cache. The feeling is that PM are less likely to mess with the cache and that muggles can't just establish an account locate caches and damage them, they would have to spend the $30.

That being said the reason I am a PM is to support the site and PQs. :D PS: Don't be in a hurry to hide a cache, Take your time and find a special place and hide a great cache and not just a park and grab.

Thanks for the quick replies. Looks like GS will be getting at least $50 from me - I'm doing the 3 month $10 option until I get a job. Hopefully, I'll be gainfully employed by Oct. and can do the annual membership. I also got the official app.

I'm definitely going to take my time to place a great cache. I'll probably start out with 1-2 difficulties and the same terrain ratings and then go from there. I haven't gone after 4s or 5s in either category. My #1 rule for myself is no Tram Law LPC's. I love learning about the history of an area so hopefully, at least some of them will have a history bent. There's only 1 on Ft. Leavenworth. As much history as there is there, I'd love to see if I can get permission to place at least one more.

We'll see. The fun will be in the planning. :-)

You said there is already a cache near the landmark. I don't think a PM cache is exempt from the proximity guidelines (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Therefore, maybe the CO was placing the cache as close as he could to the landmark (and the existing cache) without violating the saturation guideline. That would be my guess.

A PM Cache is just a setting a PM CO can set so only PM can see it. Many have there reason's for making there caches PM only. Some do it with the idea the cache will be better treated by those who spend the money to be a PM. Others may want to encourage more people to support the site.

Areas that have cache maggots[people who steal caches]

setting to pm makes them have to cough up some cash to steal pm cache.

I've made PMO caches for two reasons:

- just to play with the audit log, which is kind of fun to see

- a couple times kids discovered the web site and plundered caches they could find. During this time I made my own caches PMO only until they tired of it, and it helped. No where near fool proof of course, but it help fight the casual stupid kid.

People often make caches PMO to decrease likelihood that geotrashers will seek their cache to muggle it. However, consider that the trackable items that go into a PMO cache are less likely to disappear due to mobile phone cachers who cache once and then disappear forever. There's some local PMO caches that often have great geocoins and such in them.

:laughing:

Some people make their caches PMO to increase the odds of actually receiving online logs of cache visits.

PMO caches are (or should be) exempt from being pre-loaded into GPS units before purchase, eg Magellan Explorist GC or Geomate Jr, which come with hundreds of thousands of coordinate sets. Someone with one of those units has no need to ever visit the website, to write a log, to read the cache page to learn about the park hours etc., to read an FAQ about how trading is supposed to work, and so on.

Actually, those people are "non-members" if they've never signed up for a GC.com account, a third class of people in the geo-world. Since there's no "members only" setting for caches, the only way to restrict your caches to members only is to go one step farther and restrict them to premium members only.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

I had been caching for about 6 months before deciding to go PM..I incorrectly thought that the PM caches would be more interesting than the P&G's that dominate my area...I was disappointed just like you to discover that the vast majority of PM caches in my area are numbers runner types...oh well..At least I can do some interesting hides for the PM's to find.

Some people mistakenly believe that PM offers more security. Unfortunately, this is not the case and a valid argument far a reason beyond "because we can" has never been made. As you have already found, most PM's are very pedestrian and are often caches that many would describe as "lame" or unimaginative. So add one other explanation why some may make a cache PMO; an overwhelming need some have to feel they are in "control".

Many of the PMOs are hidden by elite multimillionaire execs who wear suits and do not go into the woods. They may prefer to hide caches which are nearby during their lunch break, and only a few feet from where a limo may go. Often they get their secretaries to type up the description, which may only consist of a few words or a single sentence. This is probably due to communication issues between them, or some kind of passive/aggressive response from their hired help. Otherwise they are not much different than regular caches. Most of the "gold plated" ones I found were only made of very expensive spray paint.

Thanks!

Melissa

You made an incorrect assumption. Most PMO caches are just to keep basic members and newbies away.

Some people mistakenly believe that PM offers more security. Unfortunately, this is not the case and a valid argument far a reason beyond "because we can" has never been made. As you have already found, most PM's are very pedestrian and are often caches that many would describe as "lame" or unimaginative. So add one other explanation why some may make a cache PMO; an overwhelming need some have to feel they are in "control".

Let's say i was a cache thief who didn't want to cough up the money for premium membership. I would basically have two options for finding caches to steal. One would be to have a buddy who willingly gave me cache coordinates, and the other would be to figure things out the hard way. I seriously don't think that many premium members would give coordinates to their buddies for this purpose. On the second, i doubt that there are many cache thieves who would go through very much trouble to obtain coordinates or cache location in order to score a theft.

As far as routine muggle activity goes, i agree, making a cache pmo doesn't help. However, there's no doubt that pm caches do offer some security from a cache maggot/pirate. It's not rocket science. Making a cache harder to get at, either by making it to where cooordinates are harder to obtain, by hiding it better, and/or by placing it in an area that is harder to get to, is going to offer up more security for that cache. How much can be debated and depends on the cache thief himself.

On the assumption that pmo caches are better than others,, i haven't really found that to be the case. I have found that some offered up better containers with initially better swag but for the most part, most that we've found have been typical hides.

There two other perks to PM. One you can see who views your cache page. The other that I noticed no one mentioned and is up there with PQs is notifications. For those who want notifications of newly published caches then yes this is very well worth it.