Power Trails

nopussy

Around Utah Lake the Shakespear caches series (121 long) and the Seinfeld series (200 long) connect, plus there are probably around 50 other wildcard caches thrown in there. It's got to be up there for the longest power trail, at least until the ET Highway opens up.

Around Utah Lake the Shakespear caches series (121 long) and the Seinfeld series (200 long) connect, plus there are probably around 50 other wildcard caches thrown in there. It's got to be up there for the longest power trail, at least until the ET Highway opens up.

Not even close. Route 66 is 800 long, a bunch of other caches in the area. One would not have any problem getting close to a 1,000 in the area.

Not even close. Route 66 is 800 long, a bunch of other caches in the area. One would not have any problem getting close to a 1,000 in the area.

I thought I remember talk of a massive power trail in Australia (I think) that was supposed to have "thousands" of caches.

I thought I remember talk of a massive power trail in Australia (I think) that was supposed to have "thousands" of caches.

That was an April Fools joke. The New Zealand one was a joke too, although not April fools Blog Link

I dunno, maybe "down under" a lot of people think the whole power trail thing is ridiculous? It is pretty much an American phenomenon. At least the 800, 1,000, 1,500 Mega Power trail thing.

That was an April Fools joke. The New Zealand one was a joke too, although not April fools Blog Link

I dunno, maybe "down under" a lot of people think the whole power trail thing is ridiculous? It is pretty much an American phenomenon. At least the 800, 1,000, 1,500 Mega Power trail thing.

I don't know about it being an American phenomenon. Mega Power trails seem to be a Southern California/Nevada thing.

I don't know about it being an American phenomenon. Mega Power trails seem to be a Southern California/Nevada thing.

Those aren't power trails, they're numbers run trails. There's a difference.

What is the difference?

Power Trails are hidden by multiple hiders to get around the cache saturation guideline (i.e. cache 1 and 5 are hidden by cacher 1, cache 2 and 6 are hidden by cacher 2, etc). This also makes it more likely that varying hiding styles are used. Many power trails develop over time as in cacher 1 hides several caches a half mile apart. Cacher 2 comes along and fills in some of the gaps. Cacher 3 and 4 follow suit until there is a trail of caches 0.1 miles apart.

Numbers run trails are usually hidden by one person (or group account). Every cache is hidden in an almost identical way as the one before it. There is no uniqueness to the hides; even the names are the same with just ascending numbers added to the end. The trails are designed to maximize the number of finds in shortest amount of time.

What is the difference?

Power Trails are hidden by multiple hiders to get around the cache saturation guideline (i.e. cache 1 and 5 are hidden by cacher 1, cache 2 and 6 are hidden by cacher 2, etc). This also makes it more likely that varying hiding styles are used. Many power trails develop over time as in cacher 1 hides several caches a half mile apart. Cacher 2 comes along and fills in some of the gaps. Cacher 3 and 4 follow suit until there is a trail of caches 0.1 miles apart.

Numbers run trails are usually hidden by one person (or group account). Every cache is hidden in an almost identical way as the one before it. There is no uniqueness to the hides; even the names are the same with just ascending numbers added to the end. The trails are designed to maximize the number of finds in shortest amount of time.

Got it. So if multiple hiders hide a cache using a 35mm film container under a pile of rocks and they happen to be around 0.1 miles apart it is a power trail. But if only one person hides them it is a numbers run trail. Glad I asked, I would have been confused for a long time.

What is the difference?

Okay, now define "Mega Power Trail" because that was the terminology that Mr. Yuck used to describe the group of 800, 1000, or 1500 caches.

From what I've seen, the use of the term "Numbers Trail" only seems to have been adopted by a few people, while most refer to trails like the ToTG, ET series, the Route 66 series as Power Trails.

Also, power trails usually exist along walking or biking paths, not along a road.

So if one person hides the caches along a biking/hiking trail it is then a numbers run trail while if a couple people hide them it is a power trail? I'm confused.

I see you aren't very good at generalizations.

I think I'm generalizing pretty good. No one has yet to provide a definitive definition of a power trail/number runs trail that fits all situations. Your definitions are very nebulous and lack any firm distinctions. The test of if it is along a road versus along a bike trail, in my mind, is a big fail. The test of if it was hidden by one or more than one hider is a big fail. Tell you what, you can call the caches along the road a number run trail and those caches along a biking trail a power trail. I'll call them both a power trail. Now the one thing that has not been brought up is at what number of caches do we transition from a cache rich environment to the power trail category?

Edited by jholly

Also, power trails usually exist along walking or biking paths, not along a road.

So if one person hides the caches along a biking/hiking trail it is then a numbers run trail while if a couple people hide them it is a power trail? I'm confused.

I think I'm generalizing pretty good. No one has yet to provide a definitive definition of a power trail/number runs trail that fits all situations. Your definitions are very nebulous and lack any firm distinctions. The test of if it is along a road versus along a bike trail, in my mind, is a big fail. The test of if it was hidden by one or more than one hider is a big fail. Tell you what, you can call the caches along the road a number run trail and those caches along a biking trail a power trail. I'll call them both a power trail. Now the one thing that has not been brought up is at what number of caches do we transition from a cache rich environment to the power trail category?

Some puzzles caches have multiple stages. Some multicaches have puzzles to solve. The line isn't always clear.

I listed things that tend to designate what a power trail is and I listed things that tend to designate what a numbers run trail is. Can some be in the grey area? Sure. 1500 caches along the side of the road in Nevada all hidden by the same person with the same hiding style is pretty clearly a numbers run trail.

And a generalization is where many caches are hidden in the same general vicinity, generally, but not always, by the same hider or group of hiders, and all are generally within 0.1 miles of each other. Generally I avoid those, but I have been known to do some on general principles (or lack thereof).

And a generalization is where many caches are hidden in the same general vicinity, generally, but not always, by the same hider or group of hiders, and all are generally within 0.1 miles of each other. Generally I avoid those, but I have been known to do some on general principles (or lack thereof).

The ones you actually do. I'm assuming that they are hidden in nice parks that you wouldn't mind visiting anyway right? As in, the park is the best part, and the geocaches just give you an excuse to walk along the trail?

Also, doing a few google search didn't tell me what "nopussy" means in Norwegian.

If they're within 0.1 miles of each other then they violate the guidelines.

If they're within 0.1 miles of each other then they violate the guidelines.

Generally true.

Please don't hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can.

The issue with that guideline is that it's asking you not to, not telling you not to. Because of this, many reviewers will look over that.

If the guidelines were

You can not hide a cache every 600 feet, if you hide in excess of 20 caches over a period of 3 months, after the three month period you may add-on the the trail, however, the trail may not exceed over 100 caches, and after the 100 cache limit has been reached you may not hide another trail, or cache, within 4 miles of that location.

then it might work better.

I have a feeling though, Groundspeak doesn't mind power-trails. If they viewed them as a threat, or anything negative, they had all the power in the world to not publish them, or archive them, even if the reviewer "ok's" it.

You can not hide a cache every 600 feet, if you hide in excess of 20 caches over a period of 3 months, after the three month period you may add-on the the trail, however, the trail may not exceed over 100 caches, and after the 100 cache limit has been reached you may not hide another trail, or cache, within 4 miles of that location, unless that location is in Delaware.

I think I fixed it for you.

You can not hide a cache every 600 feet, if you hide in excess of 20 caches over a period of 3 months, after the three month period you may add-on the the trail, however, the trail may not exceed over 100 caches, and after the 100 cache limit has been reached you may not hide another trail, or cache, within 4 miles of that location, unless that location is in Delaware, Nevada, Utah, Idaho or California.

Applied latest GS updates.

You can not hide a cache every 600 feet, if you hide in excess of 20 caches over a period of 3 months, after the three month period you may add-on the the trail, however, the trail may not exceed over 100 caches, and after the 100 cache limit has been reached you may not hide another trail, or cache, within 4 miles of that location, unless that location is in Delaware, Nevada, Utah, Idaho or California.

I didn't remember seeing any power-trails in idaho. So I did a quick google search.

This is the third leg of our "Power Trail" along the Prairie.

With "Power Trails" becoming the new rage within the geo-caching world, we wanted to join in and place one too!

We found this little know trail system along Prairie Avenue, just north of Post Falls, and decided it would be perfect for the first Martin 5 Power Trail.

This wide, paved trail is perfect for walking, jogging, running, bike riding, skating and now geocaching!

We will be placing one micro cache container approximately every .10 to .11 mile for the entire length of this trail, so be sure to make time to find them all.

The unofficial trail head area has plenty of parking near the starting point. This should be handicap accessible, you may just need to park closer to the trail to exit the vehicle safely.

To make this series even more fun, time how long it takes for you to complete the whole series and post your time in your log. Start the clock when you arrive at ground zero for the first cache and end your time when you actually find the last cache.

powertraillololol.jpg

A trail big enough for only three caches. I laughed so hard.

I didn't remember seeing any power-trails in idaho. So I did a quick google search.

This is the third leg of our "Power Trail" along the Prairie.

With "Power Trails" becoming the new rage within the geo-caching world, we wanted to join in and place one too!

We found this little know trail system along Prairie Avenue, just north of Post Falls, and decided it would be perfect for the first Martin 5 Power Trail.

This wide, paved trail is perfect for walking, jogging, running, bike riding, skating and now geocaching!

We will be placing one micro cache container approximately every .10 to .11 mile for the entire length of this trail, so be sure to make time to find them all.

The unofficial trail head area has plenty of parking near the starting point. This should be handicap accessible, you may just need to park closer to the trail to exit the vehicle safely.

To make this series even more fun, time how long it takes for you to complete the whole series and post your time in your log. Start the clock when you arrive at ground zero for the first cache and end your time when you actually find the last cache.

powertraillololol.jpg

A trail big enough for only three caches. I laughed so hard.

Yet they are packing as many caches as possible into the available space.

I would probably actually do this one. :)

Fixed to my liking.