11/11/11

Roman!

' timestamp='1308710959' post='4750753']

I suggest a souvenir if you find 11 caches on 11/11/11, a really cool date. Anyone have any other cool ideas or know if anything is planned?

I think the reason why 10/10/10 was so important was because it was the tenth anniversary of geocaching. You could argue 11/11/11 for the 11th anniversity, but I've never seen anyone celebrate that...

I think the reason why 10/10/10 was so important was because it was the tenth anniversary of geocaching. You could argue 11/11/11 for the 11th anniversity, but I've never seen anyone celebrate that...

I'm thinking Roman wants to celebrate just because of the number of 11s involved. You know, the way people make a wish at 11:11. Most people are going to be making a super-wish at 11:11:11 on 11/11/11.

Perhaps my memory failed me because it was Miss Jenn and OpinioNate who explained in this Feedback Topic that Groundspeak had nothing planned for that day. But I could have sworn that Jeremy also responded in a separate thread. I must be getting old.

But this thread also explained that Groundspeak had no plans in light of the significance of that day.

Edited to note I must be in better shape than I thought because Jeremy did have thus to say in response to a suggestion for an 11-11 locationless cache:

"We don't have any plans to use 11/11/11 for any promotions this year since it would be considered bad taste to the international community who celebrate Armistice day on November 11."

Edited by mulvaney

Well, regardless, I'm going to go out and find 11 caches that day, not more, not less and for me that will be cool and while I'm out finding these caches I will give my thanks to the people that secured the freedom for me to do this.

Edited by [Roman]
' timestamp='1308712103' post='4750778']

Well, regardless, I'm going to go out and find 11 caches that day, not more, not less and for me that will be cool and while I'm out finding these caches I will give my thanks to the people that secured the freedom for me to do this.

And perhaps local cachers will hold an 11-11 event for those reasons.

Edited by mulvaney

Nah, 12/12/12 will be much cooler because the next one, 1/1/1 wont be for 88 years and most of us will be dead by then.

That's a very depressing thought process.

just mathematics. Haley's Comet is what, every 75 years or so, so if you do not see it when it comes next, you probably won't the next one. 12/12/12 will be the last such numerical date oddity in most folk's lifetime is all.

I suggest a souvenir if you find 11 caches on 11/11/11, a really cool date. Anyone have any other cool ideas or know if anything is planned?

Approach the management of a grand old cemetery in your area that has a lot of veteran's graves, and offer to do a CITO Event to clean up the cemetery. Even better, if your area has a battlefield cemetery or designated veteran's cemetery, hold the CITO Event there.

No souvenir needed. No official plan from Groundspeak needed. Just do it.

Approach the management of a grand old cemetery in your area that has a lot of veteran's graves, and offer to do a CITO Event to clean up the cemetery. Even better, if your area has a battlefield cemetery or designated veteran's cemetery, hold the CITO Event there.

No souvenir needed. No official plan from Groundspeak needed. Just do it.

That sounds like something that we do here in the Commonwealth. We have geocaches near some Confederate Cemeterys that we keep clean. I tell my kids that it them Dang Yankee's that litter the place up. :lol: I really think that it is our trashy kin folks because you can never seem to find an AL can. :laughing:

The last I heard Jeremy stated that Groundspeak was not planning anything in light of the significance of Armistice Day in many countries. Of course that was several months ago.

11/11/11 is a bad day because of Veterans/Armistice Day.

Did the idea of having the celebration on 9/10/11 (which is an otherwise random Saturday) catch on?

At 11:00 a.m. on 11/11/11, I plan to stop and remember all those died fighting for our freedom. In Canada, Remembrance Day marks the anniversary of the official end of the World War I hostilities on November 11, 1918.

mwellman

That is what I do every year. My Dad and both my uncles came home from WW2. My great-uncle was reported missing in action in WW1....he was called back from his honeymoon to go overseas, he and my great-aunt had 3 days of married life.

I'm waiting for 13/13/13

The Hebrew calender can have 13 months

"The twelve regular months are: Nisan (30 days), Iyar (29 days), Sivan (30 days), Tammuz (29 days), Av (30 days), Elul (29 days), Tishrei (30 days), Marcheshvan (29 or 30 days), Kislev (29 or 30 days), Tevet (29 days), Shevat (30 days), and Adar (29 days). In the leap years (such as 5771) an additional month, Adar I (30 days) is added after Shevat, and the regular Adar is referred to as "Adar II".

so 13/13/13 is a possible date in the Hebrew calender. Trouble is it is now year 5771 in the Hebrew Calender so there is a while to wait before 13/13/13.

I'm thinking that Coldgears isn't married.