JEEKS?

And now this little affliction has spread to Arizona thanks to Mr. (JEEK) Addicted. <_<

If you are refering to the half dozen I planted out on Yellowstone Mesa on the AZ Strip with "Jeek" in the name, all I can say is that I am glad to be setting the trend. It's the least I can do. Ya'll come and get them JEEKS now ya hear?

C'mon Dennis. You know you like it. You're a closet jeeker and you know it! Jeek is a lot easier to say than the three syllable ge-o-cache

But just as easy as the one-syllable "cache", only with a lot of added silliness.

Apparently in Southern Utah geocaches are now called "Jeeks". Has anyone else adopted this name is there a pet name for geocaches in your area?

We live in St George. We Moved here in May. So i guess i live in Southern Utah I want everyone to know that not everyone in St George is on the Stupid Jeek Wagon. I am Sorry But I am a Geocacher. I go out and Find Geocaches. I DO NOT FIND JEEKS I FIND CACHES. I like the people in the group down here. They are Awesome.

We live in St George. We Moved here in May. So i guess i live in Southern Utah I want everyone to know that not everyone in St George is on the Stupid Jeek Wagon. I am Sorry But I am a Geocacher. I go out and Find Geocaches. I DO NOT FIND JEEKS I FIND CACHES. I like the people in the group down here. They are Awesome.

Allison, Is it safe to say that you won't be going for The “Jeeking Jeekers' Jeek Challenge” Jeek that Billionj put out?

BTW: I got the FTF on it yesterday.

Apparently in Southern Utah geocaches are now called "Jeeks". Has anyone else adopted this name is there a pet name for geocaches in your area?

This all started with one cacher here in So. Utah. (BillionJ) When he took his young kids caching, his youngest daughter couldn't pronounce the word 'geocache', so she shortened it to "jeek". Actually, there are very few of us around here that use the word. "Cache" and "cacher" are much more common. We are pretty open around here and you would be welcome to come find some of our great hides, whether they be called "caches" or "jeeks". It's all good because it's just a game and a lot of fun without all the drama.

This all started with one cacher here in So. Utah. (BillionJ) When he took his young kids caching, his youngest daughter couldn't pronounce the word 'geocache', so she shortened it to "jeek". Actually, there are very few of us around here that use the word. "Cache" and "cacher" are much more common. We are pretty open around here and you would be welcome to come find some of our great hides, whether they be called "caches" or "jeeks". It's all good because it's just a game and a lot of fun without all the drama.

Thanks for the info.

So, in a nut shell, this guy is running around talking like a little girl? No wonder we can't take him seriously.

... and you would be welcome to come find some of our great hides, whether they be called "caches" or "jeeks". It's all good because it's just a game and a lot of fun without all the drama.

Not until you guys stop calling them "jeeks"!! And some of us thought that the term, "muggles" was embarrassing!! :lol:

Thanks for the info.

So, in a nut shell, this guy is running around talking like a little girl? No wonder we can't take him seriously.

That lil girl started a mini revolution.

Thanks for the info.

Oh you'd take him seriously if you went after his JEEKS. Check out his Kokopelli series http://coord.info/GC29AP7 (goto map and zoom out to see it.) Great Balls of Fire http://coord.info/GC2C0ZD will give your heart a good pounding and cause your lungs to burn. I could go on and on, but this guy is about as serious as the heart attack he's been trying to give me for the last couple of years. Basically, using the word JEEK is just plain fun since you guys react to it like fingernails on the blackboard. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Edited by GC Addicted

Don't worry, I'll be placing a related cache in the Phoenix Metro area this weekend.

You will be getting ALL the press/recognition you deserve.

What type cache..I mean jeek? Traditional, Puzzle, Multi? I'll need to create an instant notification for your area. Wouldn't want to miss out on ALL the press/recognition that I deserve. Hope you aren't using it as an axe to grind because according to the rules of Groundspeak "Geocaches do not solicit for any purpose. Geocaches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is intended to be a light and enjoyable family-friendly hobby, not a platform for an agenda." So let's keep it friendly please.

Don't worry, I'll be placing a related cache in the Phoenix Metro area this weekend.

What type cache..I mean jeek? Traditional, Puzzle, Multi? I'll need to create an instant notification for your area. Wouldn't want to miss out on ALL the press/recognition that I deserve. Hope you aren't using it as an axe to grind because according to the rules of Groundspeak "Geocaches do not solicit for any purpose. Geocaches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is intended to be a light and enjoyable family-friendly hobby, not a platform for an agenda." So let's keep it friendly please.

By placing a bunch of caches with Jeek in the name, are you not pushing an agenda?

By placing a bunch of caches with Jeek in the name, are you not pushing an agenda?

Nope just playing the game of Geocaching. My only and next agenda is to log each and every cache along the E.T. Highway on opening weekend. If you'll read the feeling of this forum, you'll see that there are some who really take this seriously. It isn't a serious matter. All I'm doing is having fun with a word. Perhaps it'll pass. Perhaps it won't. Only time will tell. It just don't mean nothin'. People need to stop acting like geocaching is a religion, and that it's a sacrilege to use any other word than the one that the majority feel is acceptable. It's a recreation, a hobby and nothing more. People who cache should not place themselves on a higher level than others because they have a gps and a computer. When it comes right down to it, we waste a ton of time playing this silly game, but that's the fun of it and we're all entitled to a bit of dalliance in our lives.

So let's keep it friendly please.
Oh, really? So far in this thread, you have:
  1. Called people names
    You stiff necks need to get with the new hip geo-way to speak.
    I didn't realize that I was dealing with such a self imposed intellectual elitist. I am so sorry.
  2. Accused people of wanting to muggle your caches
    Makes me wonder if when you come through here if you will start muggling our jeeks.
  3. Admitted to continuing on just to get a rise out of people
    Basically, using the word JEEK is just plain fun since you guys react to it like fingernails on the blackboard. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You do realize that this last self-described behavior fits the definition of jeeker.

A person that derives pleasure from tormenting others.

A person that will go out of their way to bother you.

1. Called people names
    I didn't realize that I was dealing with such a self imposed intellectual elitist. I am so sorry.
    Makes me wonder if when you come through here if you will start muggling our jeeks.
    Basically, using the word JEEK is just plain fun since you guys react to it like fingernails on the blackboard. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You do realize that this last self-described behavior fits the definition of jeeker.

Oh! So now he's issueing orders! Well LA-DE-DAH! HAH HAH HAH!

Just adding yet another snarky reply to the growing list.

Edited by knowschad
  1. Called people names

Oh! So now he's issueing orders! Well LA-DE-DAH! HAH HAH HAH!

Just adding yet another snarky reply to the growing list.

I think this thread is verging on being locked...

Great Balls of Fire http://coord.info/GC2C0ZD will give your heart a good pounding and cause your lungs to burn.

300 meters up from the road and it's a T5? :blink:

300 meters? Try over 1060 meters from the road on the only accessible route where the last 400 meters horizontal ascends 500 meters vertically, all on talus slope. Try it sometime. :blink: :blink:

I'd love to, but my current health conditions prohibit it. I've looked at the peak on Google Earth as well as some terrain and topo maps. It is no joke.

As far as the word. It was no surprise to learn that it was created by a child who couldn't pronounce the real word. Kind of like ba-scetti and meatballs. If I suddenly started using that phrase and actively encouraged other adults to do so as well, I would expect to be looked at rather oddly. I'm not sure why you are so surprised by the resistance you are getting for trying to get grown men to talk like babies.

Nicely edited and taken totally out of context, but golly... what a swell effort. Well done. WELL DONE INDEED!
People can click on the snapback.png in each quote to decide for themselves if anything was taken out of context, but in what context is it ok to call people names or accuse them of stealing? Those are your words I quoted, are they not?
12937 posts and from what I can tell mostly full of negativity and "snarky comments." And you spend a lot of time getting down on people don't you? And why is that? Is it because you are so unhappy with your life that you have to tear other's happiness down in order to justify your unhappiness? IF that's the situation, go ahead, but you don't phase me. I get a kick out of it. Like I said, you and the others are very entertaining to me. I like the word jeek. You and others rushed in to tell me what a "childish" "stupid" "dumb" and "silly" person I am when you don't know anything about me other than that I enjoy geocaching and sometimes I think it's ok to call it jeeking.
Care to show us where you were called any of those things? I believe people called the term in question some of those things, but nobody attributed it to you.
Well if you'd like to know how I feel on other things, such as what I've learned about you just ask. I can unload a whole vocabulary on you that I'm sure you're more than familiar with and that you most likely think is a very grown-up way of speaking, but you and your geo-bully buddies need to know one thing. You are not the self endowed authorities to enforce who can use what words to describe whatever. Something else... who gave AZcachemeister the right to be giving and resending orders to me or anyone else when he has no authority of any kind? You can be an enforcer in your own mind, but if you want to get something done, report me to Groundspeak for saying "jeek" and see how much that will get you.
Uhh... he was taking back that he was placing a "tribute" cache to the term, he wasn't ordering you to do anything, he was ordering himself:

Belay that order.

You seem to be doing fine on your own.

Basically it comes down to this. You should act mature enough that you don't let it bother you what I say.

First time I heard the word, I wasn't too hip on it either, but I decided it ain't no big deal, and it ain't.

Go get your caches. Be a cacher. Worship the word. Protect it. Nurture it. It's just a wierd word that someone made up, and until 11 years ago didn't exist. So who gives a flying jeek anyway?

You are the one who is championing a word that didn't exist 11 years ago. "Cache" has been a word for a very long time.
cache - 1797, "hiding place," from French Canadian trappers' slang

Nicely edited and taken totally out of context, but golly... what a swell effort. Well done. WELL DONE INDEED!

12937 posts and from what I can tell mostly full of negativity and "snarky comments." And you spend a lot of time getting down on people don't you? And why is that? Is it because you are so unhappy with your life that you have to tear other's happiness down in order to justify your unhappiness? IF that's the situation, go ahead, but you don't phase me. I get a kick out of it. Like I said, you and the others are very entertaining to me. I like the word jeek. You and others rushed in to tell me what a "childish" "stupid" "dumb" and "silly" person I am when you don't know anything about me other than that I enjoy geocaching and sometimes I think it's ok to call it jeeking. Well if you'd like to know how I feel on other things, such as what I've learned about you just ask. I can unload a whole vocabulary on you that I'm sure you're more than familiar with and that you most likely think is a very grown-up way of speaking, but you and your geo-bully buddies need to know one thing. You are not the self endowed authorities to enforce who can use what words to describe whatever. Something else... who gave AZcachemeister the right to be giving and resending orders to me or anyone else when he has no authority of any kind? You can be an enforcer in your own mind, but if you want to get something done, report me to Groundspeak for saying "jeek" and see how much that will get you.

Basically it comes down to this. You should act mature enough that you don't let it bother you what I say.

First time I heard the word, I wasn't too hip on it either, but I decided it ain't no big deal, and it ain't.

Go get your caches. Be a cacher. Worship the word. Protect it. Nurture it. It's just a wierd word that someone made up, and until 11 years ago didn't exist. So who gives a flying jeek anyway?

Nope. You've got me wrong.

I just went back through my responses to this thread, and I don't see a single response of mine that would elicit such a reaction. I do, however, see where you calle me a "self imposed intellectual elitist."

But that's OK. I can live with that.

Edited by knowschad

I KNOW, huh? So hilarious. Got to get all dem JEEEEEEKS! The fact that some hate it makes it even more funny. :laughing:

I don't hate it, I just think it's stupid.

It's like the folks who get tattoos and face jewelry, it just screams out "Hey look at me I'm a freak who doesn't care what you think, so pay attention to me."

Yeah, same thing. Ho hum. Nothing to hate, just feel sorry for them and move on.

Great Balls of Fire http://coord.info/GC2C0ZD will give your heart a good pounding and cause your lungs to burn.

300 meters up from the road and it's a T5? :blink:

300 meters? Try over 1060 meters from the road on the only accessible route where the last 400 meters horizontal ascends 500 meters vertically, all on talus slope. Try it sometime. :blink: :blink:

I'd love to, but my current health conditions prohibit it. I've looked at the peak on Google Earth as well as some terrain and topo maps. It is no joke.

As far as the word. It was no surprise to learn that it was created by a child who couldn't pronounce the real word. Kind of like ba-scetti and meatballs. If I suddenly started using that phrase and actively encouraged other adults to do so as well, I would expect to be looked at rather oddly. I'm not sure why you are so surprised by the resistance you are getting for trying to get grown men to talk like babies.

+1 and +2 to these guys.

Ugh. I already don't like the term muggle. Don't make me sound like a complete doofus please!

Otherwise I'm going old school and am going to plunder your geo stashes.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay