Hints on my gps

dorqie

So I haven't really had a premium membership all that long, and i'm stubborn, so I've been continuing to cache the same way I always have.

I just loaded a pq, using easy gps to my Garmin etrex legend hcx, awesome, so much faster.

I have heard that hints are readable on gps's... i don't know how. Is it possible on my gps?

The problem with hints on the current eTrex models and GPSMap 60 and 76 models is that there is not a lot of space available to store the hints.

Each waypoint name is 14 characters long, and description is 30 characters long (or something in that region - I don't remember exactly). GSAK can be configured to write the hints there, but anything beyond that length is lost.

There is a macro to export cache details as custom POI, but I found it clunky.

I was using the gpx format with easygps. I guess I'll have to suck it up and try gsak.

I also have a yellow etrex, will this work with that as well?

GSAK is a great program. It may have too many "blades" for you at first, but one of these days you may actually find a need those scissors or that awl.

Once you get it, read up on what it calls "special tags".

If you want all the cache details you'll need to buy a New GPSr that supports paperless caching.

Or use a PDA. Or a Nuvi. Or an iPod. Or an iPod touch. Or a smartphone.

Nothing beats a paperless GPSr for the convenience, though.

I would remove, Nuvi because that is a car GPS and won't get you anywhere near the cache nor does it support paperless, the original Ipod didn't even have an app store or customizability to support anything more then music and very simple games, and the Ipod Touch does not have a GPS so it's useless.

However, PDA, while not nearly as good as a smartphone as a GPS, it has it's uses due to Wherigo.

I fixed it for you!

Edited by Coldgears
If you want all the cache details you'll need to buy a New GPSr that supports paperless caching.

Or use a PDA. Or a Nuvi. Or an iPod. Or an iPod touch. Or a smartphone.

Nothing beats a paperless GPSr for the convenience, though.

I would remove, Nuvi because that is a car GPS and won't get you anywhere near the cache nor does it support paperless, the original Ipod didn't even have an app store or customizability to support anything more then music and very simple games, and the Ipod Touch does not have a GPS so it's useless.

However, PDA, while not nearly as good as a smartphone as a GPS, it has it's uses due to Wherigo.

I fixed it for you!

You fixed it wrong, dude :lol:

You don't use it as your navigation device. You look up cache details on it when necessary. Ask knowschad how he uses his Nuvi if you're interested. The pilotsnipes macro / custom POI feature pretty much means I'll never buy a non Garmin vehicle GPS.

And

about using the iPod Nano. Apps, who needs them? :lol:

Yes, the Nuvi is an awesome multi-tasking tool for geocaching. I use a Garmin 60CSx as my primary GPS, but I use a Nuvi 255W for both driving to the area, and for storing paperless information. I do use the PilotSnipes GSAK macro, although there is another one that is more elaborate (by JJRed, I think the name was). One other nice thing about having the PQ loaded into the Nuvi is that you get a realtime display of the nearest caches as you drive. You can also put it into a mode that beeps at you as you near a cache, although I have found that to be rather annoying.

Not all PDAs are able to run Wherigo, only the Windows Mobile/CE based ones, AKA Pocket PC, and of those only the GPS-enabled ones (or if paired with a Bluetooth GPS receiver). Palm based devices are also quite popular for paperless support, but can't play Wherigo.

You fixed it wrong, dude :lol:

You don't use it as your navigation device. You look up cache details on it when necessary. Ask knowschad how he uses his Nuvi if you're interested. The pilotsnipes macro / custom POI feature pretty much means I'll never buy a non Garmin vehicle GPS.

And

about using the iPod Nano. Apps, who needs them? :lol:

I read your post the way you intended, and was actually getting ready to say the same thing as you. Most people may already have a 2nd device around that can help overcome the shortcomings of the Etrex, or any other GPS that is not "paperless". Edited by radak9

I would remove, Nuvi because that is a car GPS and won't get you anywhere near the cache nor does it support paperless

yes, it does get you to the cache and yes, it supports paperless

http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/

In case anybody reading this wants to know more about the Nuvi and geocaching: http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/

Please ignore the "how to find the cache with your Nuvi" portion, though. Yeah, a few have done it. Not the tool for that job.

I would remove, Nuvi because that is a car GPS and won't get you anywhere near the cache nor does it support paperless

In case anybody reading this wants to know more about the Nuvi and geocaching: http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/

Please ignore the "how to find the cache with your Nuvi" portion, though. Yeah, a few have done it. Not the tool for that job.

isn't that the same link i posted? :P:lol:

Edited by t4e

I was using the gpx format with easygps. I guess I'll have to suck it up and try gsak.

I also have a yellow etrex, will this work with that as well?

It's possible with GSAK to get the decoded hint, or part of it, in the cache description on a yellow etrex. But it will only send a limited number of characters, so it may not be enough for some hints.

I don't believe it is possible with EasyGPS. It is possible to have a portion of the hint by using GSAK and the GPX format

Not quite true. If Your GPS is capable of showing hints you go to the drop down menu and click on edit then preferences. On the next screen you should see your GPS in the window. Highlight the GPS and then click the geocaching button and it will let you choose the icon and if you want it to show the GC number or the hint. You have to be using a GPX file for this to work.

isn't that the same link i posted? :P:lol:

You never know... somebody may not see your link. :D

I don't believe it is possible with EasyGPS. It is possible to have a portion of the hint by using GSAK and the GPX format

Not quite true. If Your GPS is capable of showing hints you go to the drop down menu and click on edit then preferences. On the next screen you should see your GPS in the window. Highlight the GPS and then click the geocaching button and it will let you choose the icon and if you want it to show the GC number or the hint. You have to be using a GPX file for this to work.

Are you referring to a Garmin? 'Cause that doesn't sound like anything I've seen on any of the four Garmin handhelds that I have owned.

'One' way to do it without macros would be to use the %hint special tag in the "Waypoint Description" field (click GPS->Send Waypoints, and put the %hint in the appropriate field) Will be limited to 30(?) characters, though.

BTW, the good folks at the GSAK Forum are a great resource!

So can anyone tell me how to use the gsak macros to show at least partial hints? Or can anyone point me to an appropriate tutorial?

Once you get it, read up on what it calls "special tags".

You don't need to use any macros to do it. You simply need to change the "special tags" that I mentioned above. Those are those words starting with the percent sign that you see on the GPS/Send Waypoints screen (%hint, %smart, etc.) .

The way I have mine set up;

Waypoint Name: %smart

Waypoint descriptin format (comments): %code %Dif/%Ter %con %hint

%smart gives you a shortened, but always unique, version of the cache name.

%code gives you the GC (waypoint) number. You could use %drop2 instead, which will drop the redundant "GC" portion, giving you two more characters for other data.

%Dif/%Ter obviously give you the difficulty and terrain ratings. You could alternatively use %dif1 or %difa and %ter1 or %tera to gain a couple more characters for your hint, at the expense of having to mentally translate difficulty & terrain ratings.

%con gives you the container size. Or you could use %con1, which uses a single character to indicate container size.

%hint... I guess you can figure that one out on your own.

'One' way to do it without macros would be to use the %hint special tag in the "Waypoint Description" field (click GPS->Send Waypoints, and put the %hint in the appropriate field) Will be limited to 30(?) characters, though.

BTW, the good folks at the GSAK Forum are a great resource!

Thank you, this is exactly what I wanted

Are you referring to a Garmin? 'Cause that doesn't sound like anything I've seen on any of the four Garmin handhelds that I have owned.

I'm not referring to a Garmin, You said it wasn't possible to show the hints using EasyGPS, I was telling him how to do it.