I have a Garmin Chirp....what do I do with it?

You need a chirp compatible device to program the chirp to do anything. I suppose if you had a friend with a chirp-compatible device you could enlist their help to program it for you, but that's all I can come up with other than selling it or raffling it off.

My chirp cache has been well-received, so it seems there's some subset of cachers who enjoy them.

I was wondering how you could use it in a cache that would make the cache more fun to find. The packaging says that it can give messages and is useful in multis. Maybe it would be a good part of a night cache? Use the trail markers put to chirp range and then the hunter must go by the chirp?

Don't you need a Chirp compatible GPSr to program it? May be hard to use it in one of your caches if you can't program it with the info. But it is often used in Puzzle and Multi caches. For instance the starting cord takes cachers near the area where the Chirp is hidden. Then the Chirp gives them the info needed to find the next stage or the puzzle to find the final.

:unsure: Umm, how did you end up with it? If you don't have a chirp enabled device.

Although I assume you can place one without having that ability. I don't know much about them, other then it seems like a warmer/colder type way of finding the cache.

We have two of them that we won. Unless you have a compatable unit for them they are worthless. :blink: And most users I know don't have compatable units. And once the Chirp is activated, it is registered to the unit that activated it. :o That's to keep other users from resetting it or something. :ph34r: I thought about Ebay myself, but it may make a better door prize at the next event. :anibad:

I have a Garmin Chirp but what do I do with it? My GPSr isn't "chirp compatable" so what to do with it? Please don't say throw it away or send it to you!

Some people make a Mystery cache, where cachers can either work a puzzle or download coords from a Chirp. I put a Chirp in my car and made it a Travel Bug -- the TB # is not visible, so it requires Chirp to log it.

You'll not only need a way to program it, you'll also need to test it once in a while (to be sure it's working). Do you know someone who has a Chirp-compatible GPS? You could ask around locally, or in your region's forum.

If you intend to hide it at a waypoint, be crafty about hiding it. Geocachers are good at finding things, and nobody's supposed to actually find the Chirp.

I was wondering how you could use it in a cache that would make the cache more fun to find. The packaging says that it can give messages and is useful in multis. Maybe it would be a good part of a night cache? Use the trail markers put to chirp range and then the hunter must go by the chirp?

The whole point of the CHIRP unit is selling new GPSr units.

You need a new GPSr to use it, and I need a new GPSr to find it.

No, thanks.

My suggestion of what to do with it cannot be posted here.

No, thanks.

really?...by your theory technology should be back somewhere in the 1900's eh?

Chirp caches annoy me. They require a specific brand of GPS receiver, and thus self-evidently violate the "no commercial caches" guideline. Well, except that Groundspeak has allowed them. I hope Garmin paid a lot for the privilege.

I actually started thinking about an Arduino-based receiver but unfortunately Garmin uses a proprietary protocol that you have to license.

IMO the Chirp goes against everything geocaching should be about. We're not here to preferentially support any specific GPS manufacturer.

I have a Garmin Chirp but what do I do with it? My GPSr isn't "chirp compatable" so what to do with it? Please don't say throw it away or send it to you!

You can't use it, but you can invite someone to program it. Hide it right at one of your caches (within 20 feet of the container). Secure it (heavily camouflaged) using a loop of velcro, deep in the branches of a pine tree in a group of pine trees, or in a holly bush. Or anywhere a Micro would be extremely tedious to search for. And remember where it is. Once a year, change the battery.

So there will be a First To Program the chirp, and it can have a title (like a cache name), coords, and a short text, all whatever the FTP wants to type. You could ask for their GPSr code (last 4 digits of the serial number), in case you ever want to change it later.

Edited by kunarion

Chirp caches annoy me. They require a specific brand of GPS receiver, and thus self-evidently violate the "no commercial caches" guideline. Well, except that Groundspeak has allowed them. I hope Garmin paid a lot for the privilege.

I actually started thinking about an Arduino-based receiver but unfortunately Garmin uses a proprietary protocol that you have to license.

IMO the Chirp goes against everything geocaching should be about. We're not here to preferentially support any specific GPS manufacturer.

I won't respond with the snarky "then just filter those out" that everyone else says around here. Not gonna do it. :ph34r:

I have 3 Chirps, but I've only set up one, and it's not at a cache (and it's gotten some positive comments).

Chirp seems unreliable. They do much the same thing as a laminated tag, but require special maintenance. They may go "bad" if the temperature's too high or low, or at any time. Even in the best conditions, it can be tough (or slow) to get the data download. Violations aside, cachers will be annoyed at not getting the data even with all the correct equipment. I agree that they're in most cases unacceptable for Geocaching, in the sense that Chirps are best as a temporary beacon, removed after a short time.

Edited by kunarion

No, thanks.

really?...by your theory technology should be back somewhere in the 1900's eh?

Yeah.

I can only read smoke signals sent using a smoldering OAK fire.

If you use PINE, I'm ignoring it.