6 states last week

I had a trip to Boston last week and while there managed to have 2 partial days to grab CT, VT, RI, ME, NH as well as MA. YEAH!!! Much better looking map.

I wonder how much gas $$ I spent on shading a stupid map. :laughing:

Well, if you're going to do that, New England is the place. Rhode Island is the size of the County I live in in New York. Haven't been there since 2004 though, and even though I had to drive through Massachusetts to get there, I never did find a cache along my route to shade in the map. These days I'll bet there's 20 Mass Turnpike rest area caches on the way. :lol:

I had a trip to Boston last week and while there managed to have 2 partial days to grab CT, VT, RI, ME, NH as well as MA. YEAH!!! Much better looking map.

Cool! Driving the lenght of RI is like driving from top to bottom of lake washington. Thats how small RI is. :surprise:

Cool! Driving the lenght of RI is like driving from top to bottom of lake washington. Thats how small RI is. :surprise:

Been there. Takes an hour to drive from Woonsocket to Newport. And much longer if you arrive there at 5:00 PM on a weekday. :rolleyes:

I was looking at taking a trip to Memphis, TN because you can hit Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Kentucky and Alabama with a reasonable amount of driving. If you were willing to drive further, you could also hit Illinois, Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Georgia (I'd guess these last five would be around a half days drive to reach from Memphis). You'd put on some miles but in the end you could end up with 11 states visited.

I was looking at taking a trip to Memphis, TN because you can hit Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Kentucky and Alabama with a reasonable amount of driving.

I've looked at the same trip and even plotted out a potential route that would make it really easy to do it in a weekend. I've also done the NE states but I had found RI and CT on a previous trip (and found the oldest caches in both states) but hit MA on the way to a week long vacation in ME then hit VT and NH on the way back. I've also done PA, DE, MD, VA, and NC on a single road trip and did Germany, France, and Spain while on a business trip last year.

My biggest Geocaching regret was not caching on my roadtrip last summer (I had JUST started Geocaching).

My brother and I drove from Houston, TX to Minneapolis, MN, then up to Fargo, ND, and then back down to Houston, TX. Eleven states. I still only have caches in 1 of those 11 (Texas). Depressing. :mad:

My biggest Geocaching regret was not caching on my roadtrip last summer (I had JUST started Geocaching).

My brother and I drove from Houston, TX to Minneapolis, MN, then up to Fargo, ND, and then back down to Houston, TX. Eleven states. I still only have caches in 1 of those 11 (Texas). Depressing. :mad:

I've been to Zambia, Ethiopia, Kenya, and Senegal (only very briefly) and didn't get a chance to find caches in any of those countries. Okay, so I didn't actually leave the airport in two of those countries but it was still a "so close, yet so far" scenario. I'm hoping to grab a cache or two in Japan on the way back from a week in China (I've already got finds there) during a 17 hour layover next month but someone else is booking my flights and might choose an itinerary other than what I've asked for. If I do get that itinerary I'll be looking for a hotel near the airport and within close proximity of a cache or two I might be able to find.

I had a trip to Boston last week and while there managed to have 2 partial days to grab CT, VT, RI, ME, NH as well as MA. YEAH!!! Much better looking map.I wonder how much gas $$ I spent on shading a stupid map. :laughing:

A few years ago I was meeting some friends in western MA. In order to completely fill in my map east of the Mississippi I flew through Boston and detoured through ME and NH on the way there. Then we did the RI Delorme in one day. :laughing:

I was looking at taking a trip to Memphis, TN because you can hit Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Kentucky and Alabama with a reasonable amount of driving.

I've looked at the same trip and even plotted out a potential route that would make it really easy to do it in a weekend. I've also done the NE states but I had found RI and CT on a previous trip (and found the oldest caches in both states) but hit MA on the way to a week long vacation in ME then hit VT and NH on the way back. I've also done PA, DE, MD, VA, and NC on a single road trip and did Germany, France, and Spain while on a business trip last year.

I'm missing most of the prairie states and along the Mississippi River west side. Not only have I mapped out a route from the Twin Cities down to Little Rock, but I have priced the flights on Southwest several times, and they are quite reasonable. The dealbreaker is that I can't find a one-way rental car for the week for less than $1400. :blink: It was actually cheaper to fly R/T to MN, do a north loop, and then fly back to Little Rock the following week and do a southern loop with two separate car rentals. Now that SW services St. Louis I might have to rearrange those routes and reprice them. But I don't think I can fit that into this summer's travel budget and plans anyway.

My personal best for most states in one day is 5 and I've done it twice: MO, KS, IA, MN & WI and then WI, MN, SD, NE & CO. We could have grabbed another state on our way out west but we would have had to drive several hours out of the way to do it and since we were already going to be driving 14 hours we decided against it.

Do you want a cookie?

Yes. Either a chocolate chip or a sugar cookie. Thanks!

Congrats on your adventure.

I got 7 in one day (Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri and Tennessee) while on the way home to Chicago from Nashville after GW7. That inspired me to hide a cache: The Illinois Road Trip Challenge. I've also visited 12 states (Arkansas, Colorado, Iowa, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Tennessee & Texas), caching in 11 of them, in under 100 hours.

We recently started in VT, drove to NH (oldest cache), MA, (oldest cache), RI (oldest cache), CT (oldest cache), NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC, VA, NC, SC, GA and finished in Florida. (Already had VT, NY and FL). Added 12 states and DC to the map.

Took several days and had a blast!

We recently started in VT, drove to NH (oldest cache), MA, (oldest cache), RI (oldest cache), CT (oldest cache), NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC, VA, NC, SC, GA and finished in Florida. (Already had VT, NY and FL). Added 12 states and DC to the map.

Took several days and had a blast!

Cool. I liked the idea of finding the oldest caches in the states. So for I've only got the oldest in NY, CT, and RI. I've got finds in 21 states and hope to add DC in a couple of weeks as I'll be there for a few days of meetings. I've also found caches in 12 countries (on four continents) and hope to add Japan in June.

I had a trip to Boston last week and while there managed to have 2 partial days to grab CT, VT, RI, ME, NH as well as MA. YEAH!!! Much better looking map.I wonder how much gas $$ I spent on shading a stupid map. :laughing:

A few years ago I was meeting some friends in western MA. In order to completely fill in my map east of the Mississippi I flew through Boston and detoured through ME and NH on the way there. Then we did the RI Delorme in one day. :laughing:

I'm missing most of the prairie states and along the Mississippi River west side. Not only have I mapped out a route from the Twin Cities down to Little Rock, but I have priced the flights on Southwest several times, and they are quite reasonable. The dealbreaker is that I can't find a one-way rental car for the week for less than $1400. :blink: It was actually cheaper to fly R/T to MN, do a north loop, and then fly back to Little Rock the following week and do a southern loop with two separate car rentals. Now that SW services St. Louis I might have to rearrange those routes and reprice them. But I don't think I can fit that into this summer's travel budget and plans anyway.

My plans were based on renting a car in Memphis and returning to Memphis. Last year someone here organized a road trip for a group of cacher where everyone flew into one airport then took several days to complete a loop of several states. I was on the mailing list for the trip to find at least one cache in each state and enjoy the company of others and eat some good BBQ but never got a final "invite" to join them. I'd consider joining a group to do something like this in the future.

Didn't do it all in a day, more like a week, but the first trip we did when we were in Virginia, we visited my wife's family in Mass. and ended up caching for the first time in Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, and all of New England. Had a lot of fun and even got some of the harder to find Fizzy Challenge D/T combinations.

A group of us will take trips with the intent of coloring in states:

1) NC, TN, SC (Done solo in 2 days) - Flew in and out of Charlotte

2) IL, IN, MI, WI - Flew in and out of Chicago

3) LA, MS, AL, FL - Flew in and out of NOLA

4) MO, IA, NE, SD, KS - Flew in and out of KC

I've got 40 + DC. I am already planning on how to get the last of the lower 48!