Lillypad

Anyone notice how since the L&F party it's become trendy to refer to GS as "The Lillypad"? I know they call themselves that, but now I see it popping up in the forums and in casual conversation. Too funny. It's like when you were in school and the cool kid made up a new word and everyone else started using it.

well, lilypad is a nice name. It sort of fits because signal lives there, and frogs usually live on lilypads. :grin:

btw: love your avatar

For what its worth, this goes back into 2003 I think. With the origin of Signal as the mascot, the natural place for Signal to reside is a lily pad. The office became known as the Lilypad and the rest is history.

The first instance of the name in the forums I can find is here: clicky clicky Volunteers had been calling it that before that first post in the forums.

I have had my location set as "East of the Lilypad" for several years now. Don't remember when I did that but it was in part because the reference to the Lilypad was quite common.

Yeah, mine has been "Wenatchee, WA.....2.5 hours from the Lily pad" for years now.

OP - I didn't realize it was trendy, it's just what it's called. ;)

For what its worth, this goes back into 2003 I think. With the origin of Signal as the mascot, the natural place for Signal to reside is a lily pad. The office became known as the Lilypad and the rest is history.

The first instance of the name in the forums I can find is here: clicky clicky Volunteers had been calling it that before that first post in the forums.

:wub:

046-1.jpg

Edited by t4e

I have had my location set as "East of the Lilypad" for several years now. Don't remember when I did that but it was in part because the reference to the Lilypad was quite common.

Yeah, mine has been "Wenatchee, WA.....2.5 hours from the Lily pad" for years now.

Your location was actually my inspiration!B)

Oh, that's funny. :laughing:B)

I think its rather touching. :)

Ah, warms the cockles of my heart.

and such lovely cockles they are, my dear.

and such lovely cockles they are, my dear.

Why, thank you! :anicute:

In some of the older digs they actually had a lily pad shade over the cubes. I think they came from Ikea. Not sure about the new digs since mere mortals don't get to see the prairie dog farm any more.

Yep, (some of) the prairie dogs are still shaded by lily pads, although I always thought they inhabited different environments. Does knowing / seeing this make me immortal? :lol:

Does knowing / seeing this make me immortal? :lol:

I don't think so. Maybe "inanimate object"? :)

There was this guy at work that had one of those over his cube. I wanted to hide a small MP3 player with a speaker, with the soundtrack of a frog's ribbit, under his desk. Record a 5 minute loop with 3 "ribbits" in there, set it to loop, and have it play. Sadly, he removed it before I could do it.

I'm planning on resurrecting it with a "meow" instead and hiding it under the desk of another colleague who hates cats.

I like it better than TPTB

me too.

Really? Not that there's anything wrong with "The Lilypad", but I've never thought of "TPTB" as being even slightly derogetory. I just associate that term with referring to the people who make the decisions, whoever--and at whatever level--they may be. I never would have thought that some would dislike the term! :unsure:

I like it better than TPTB

me too.

Really? Not that there's anything wrong with "The Lilypad", but I've never thought of "TPTB" as being even slightly derogetory. I just associate that term with referring to the people who make the decisions, whoever--and at whatever level--they may be. I never would have thought that some would dislike the term! :unsure:

I never said I thought TPTB is derogatory. In fact I've used the term here many times. Lily pad is just much more colorful.

I was under the impression that the 'Lily Pad' was the headquarters building and offices... and 'TPTB' the decision makers residing within, and that all the others within were a mix of volunteers, and 'Lackeys' and so on... not sure at all about the 'Pond' though... perhaps that lake the maps start at??

Have fun you guys!

Doug 7rxc