Philadelphia Area: Cachers? Cachin' Groups?

Snoogans

Hey Gang,

I will be in Philly from October 30th, through November 5th, to attend the National Safety Council Congress and Expo.

When I travel, I usually like to sample the local Geocontinuum at an event (I don't even mind hosting one if need be) to meet the locals and find out what the MUST DO caches are in the area. I also plan to get caches in neighboring N.J., DE.,& MD to color my map red.

So who are my peeps in the Philly area including the surrounding states?

Where are the great places to eat? (I plan to hit those 2 Cheese Steak places that are on all the food channels.)

What are the fun non-cachin' things to do? (probably evening time.)

Where are the bad places to avoid? (Can't pack heat since I'm flying and unfamilir with local gun laws.)

Any local caching websites I can check?

And lastly, what are the MUST DO caches in the area?

Edited by Snoogans

Hey Gang,

I will be in Philly from October 30th, through November 5th, to attend the National Safety Council Congress and Expo.

When I travel, I usually like to sample the local Geocontinuum at an event (I don't even mind hosting one if need be) to meet the locals and find out what the MUST DO caches are in the area. I also plan to get caches in neighboring N.J., DE.,& MD to color my map red.

So who are my peeps in the Philly area including the surrounding states?

Where are the great places to eat? (I plan to hit those 2 Cheese Steak places that are on all the food channels.)

What are the fun non-cachin' things to do? (probably evening time.)

Where are the bad places to avoid? (Can't pack heat since I'm flying and unfamilir with local gun laws.)

Any local caching websites I can check?

And lastly, what are the MUST DO caches in the area?

Well, that's giving you lots of lead time :lol:

Start with a cache search of zip 19102, that's where you'll be. Several good virtuals in the area. The two major organizations in the area are SEPAG and South Jersey Geocaching. SEPAG's site has been down but I think they have a facebook page.

If you haven't been to Philly, then Independance Hall and the Liberty Bell are must do's

Be sure to have lunch at the Reading Terminal Market at least once(you will probably have lunch there every day as part of it has been incorporated into the Center.)

My office is two blocks from the Convention Center so we'll probably be communicating some more.

Well, that's giving you lots of lead time :lol:

Start with a cache search of zip 19102, that's where you'll be. Several good virtuals in the area. The two major organizations in the area are SEPAG and South Jersey Geocaching. SEPAG's site has been down but I think they have a facebook page.

If you haven't been to Philly, then Independance Hall and the Liberty Bell are must do's

Be sure to have lunch at the Reading Terminal Market at least once(you will probably have lunch there every day as part of it has been incorporated into the Center.)

My office is two blocks from the Convention Center so we'll probably be communicating some more.

Very cool! Thank you. B)

Yeah, I want to really plan ahead for this one. I should have some afternoon time off a few days to hit some local caches and attractions. My window to do non-work stuff might only be a few hours a day, so I want to plan routes well in advance rather than going around willy nilly.

The best time for me to host/attend an event (I think) will be on the Sunday I arrive and the Friday before I fly out.

I planned ahead for my business trip to Asheville, N.C., and left town having made a whole lot more local cachin' friends than I ever expected. It would not have been possible without a lot of preplanning.

BTW-I plan to bring a whole lot of my coins to give away, trade, and put in caches.

Questions: (for anyone)

How long of a drive is it to N.E. Maryland from Philly?

Using mass transit, how log does it take to get to N.Y.C.?

Very cool! Thank you. B)

Yeah, I want to really plan ahead for this one. I should have some afternoon time off a few days to hit some local caches and attractions. My window to do non-work stuff might only be a few hours a day, so I want to plan routes well in advance rather than going around willy nilly.

The best time for me to host/attend an event (I think) will be on the Sunday I arrive and the Friday before I fly out.

I planned ahead for my business trip to Asheville, N.C., and left town having made a whole lot more local cachin' friends than I ever expected. It would not have been possible without a lot of preplanning.

BTW-I plan to bring a whole lot of my coins to give away, trade, and put in caches.

About 70 minutes from 19102 to Elkton, MD If you are trying to add MD and DE, the easiest way would be to come down I-95 to the exit just over the MD/DE border, grab a couple there and then take local road to Newark, DE and grab a couple there. You can then get right back on I-95 and head back north.

No clue about NY, still haven't added it to my list (I'd rather go to another country)

Very cool! Thank you. B)

About 70 minutes from 19102 to Elkton, MD If you are trying to add MD and DE, the easiest way would be to come down I-95 to the exit just over the MD/DE border, grab a couple there and then take local road to Newark, DE and grab a couple there. You can then get right back on I-95 and head back north.

No clue about NY, still haven't added it to my list (I'd rather go to another country)

LOL! I figured I'd probably give NYC a pass since I have to go there on business sooner or later.

Looks like a 3hr drive 1 way to D.C., so that may be out until I have business to conduct there as well. Luckily I have to inspect our offices in D.C. and NYC sometime in the next year or so.

I think I'll be satisfied if I get Maryland, Delaware, and Jersey.

Thanks for all your help.

In addition to the Liberty Bell and Independence hall, be sure to head across the river and check out the battleship New Jersey and if you are into aquariums, the Camden Aquarium is one of the better ones.

Yeah, I LOVE aquariums. I drove all the way to Mystic on my off time when I was at Smith & Wesson Academy on training. Before I started geocaching. DOH! Gonna have to plan an entire vacation to get New England. Don't know when I'll ever get back to Springfield, Mass. now that I've moved over to Loss Prevention.

Caching will take a back seat once my map is colored. I'd rather see and do stuff and if there is a convenient cache nearby, all the better. I only go outta my way for caches with good word of mouth.

Thanx Mannn.

Pilly to New York by train is tricky. (We went to King Tut from New York.) Either take Amtrak for a direct, but expensive, trip. Or SEPTA to Trenton, and transfer to NJ Transit to New York. (Cheaper, but longer.) 140 to 160 minutes. $31 round trip. Amtrak is 65 to 85 minutes, cost $96 to $270 round trip. (From the on-line schedules.) That's why we took NJ Transit/SEPTA.

Didn't have time for a lot of caches, but we enjoyed Big Ben and Anne Rice's "The Mummy". Other places we enjoyed in Philly were: The Rodin Museum. The Philadelphia Museum of Art, and The Edgar Alam Poe NHS. And make sure you look for William Penn's Hat. JU3106 PHILADELPHIA PENN STATUE HAT

Pilly to New York by train is tricky. (We went to King Tut from New York.) Either take Amtrak for a direct, but expensive, trip. Or SEPTA to Trenton, and transfer to NJ Transit to New York. (Cheaper, but longer.) 140 to 160 minutes. $31 round trip. Amtrak is 65 to 85 minutes, cost $96 to $270 round trip. (From the on-line schedules.) That's why we took NJ Transit/SEPTA.

Didn't have time for a lot of caches, but we enjoyed Big Ben and Anne Rice's "The Mummy". Other places we enjoyed in Philly were: The Rodin Museum. The Philadelphia Museum of Art, and The Edgar Alam Poe NHS. And make sure you look for William Penn's Hat. JU3106 PHILADELPHIA PENN STATUE HAT

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm giving NYC and DC a pass. I just found out from my boss that they are on the menu for next year.

I AM going to hit N.E. Maryland on this trip though.

Well you should be here just in time for the 2011 Phillies World Series parade!

Some other notable spots you may want to see while here:

Remember the 1976 Sly Stalone movie ROCKY?

Art Museum area. Even if you are not into art, it is a pretty impressive building. These are the step he runs up. guide_steps5.jpg

The scene where he runs along the river, on a paved path is the Schuykill River Trail, a 28 mile rail to trail path out to Valley Forge National Historical Park. There are 80 or so caches on it.

The Italian Market is a must see to experience place. Rocky ran here too (if you were to trace his morning jog from the movie he covers

Tun Tavern was the birthplace of the US Marine Corp and is near Penn's Landing (Rocky Ran here)

National Treasure will take you to many of the historical filming locations from the Nicolas Cage movie and Independence Hall. trumbull-large1.jpg

Egyption Jewels takes you to Sansom Street, also known as Jewelers' Row a short street filled with diamond dealers (but you may be going there anyway). pajewelers1.jpg

Play Ball (which is not always available as it gets muggled a lot) will bring you to the stadium area

1501_Exterior_of_Citizens_Bank_Park.jpg

lincoln-financial-field-main.jpg

Eastern State Penitentiary was once a world renounced prison. Now it is profiled on Ghost Hunters. It is a creepy place.

Boat House Row is site of crew races.

Any caches near the train station? I have two hours between trains on May 3rd on my way south and again on May 9th on my return. Thanks!

Peachy,

7 Up and Taxland 3 can both be done from the train station without any difficulty. Anne Rice's "The Mummy" is probably 45 minutes round trip walk including the find. It's a Philly favorite! PM me and let me know when you'll be here, no promises but maybe I can meet you.

Mike

Very cool! Thank you. B)

Why you hatin on NY? That is a whole lotta hating for one of the greatest and largest states in the country!

Snoogans, when you come to NYC I am sure there will be a huge event in your honor. I hope I am available to make it.

PS, those famous steak places are not all that great and they are run by bigots. Try the local steak shop in any neighborhood instead.

Fried onions, ketchup, cheese *not whiz* and hot peppers is my favorite.

Any caches near the train station? I have two hours between trains on May 3rd on my way south and again on May 9th on my return. Thanks!

Peachy,

7 Up and Taxland 3 can both be done from the train station without any difficulty. Anne Rice's "The Mummy" is probably 45 minutes round trip walk including the find. It's a Philly favorite! PM me and let me know when you'll be here, no promises but maybe I can meet you.

Mike

Yikes! I cannot find my GPS unit!!!! How can I cache without my GPS unit??? (Though, I did find my last cache without it. :ph34r: )

Okay, how could you guys NOT suggest a trip to Pat's and Geno's cheese-steaks. It's quite literally the ONLY attraction in Philadelphia that me, as a resident here, never gets old to. Liberty bell is cool the first 2 - 3 times then you get sick of it. Secondly, the Italian market is a must-see, you're going to want to walk South Street, Boathouse row is beautiful, common guys there's much more to philly then independence hall.

And Philly to NE maryland should only take about an hour.

WooHooo! I'll be in Philly Saturday afternoon and leaving around the same time on the following Saturday. (10/29-11/05)

Anyone, know of any events in or within a reasonable drive (45min to 1hr) of Philly during that time?

I don't need a smiley to meet up with cachers, but I love to add states to my events attended list.

My schedule is pretty packed until about 4pm on 11/4. That's the only date that I'm sure I'll have free time. Anyone up for a "No smiley, just smiles" event on 11/4? :unsure: It would have to be in the vacinity of my hotel (if not at my hotel) which is a short walk from the convention center.

WooHooo! I'll be in Philly Saturday afternoon and leaving around the same time on the following Saturday. (10/29-11/05)

Anyone, know of any events in or within a reasonable drive (45min to 1hr) of Philly during that time?

I don't need a smiley to meet up with cachers, but I love to add states to my events attended list.

My schedule is pretty packed until about 4pm on 11/4. That's the only date that I'm sure I'll have free time. Anyone up for a "No smiley, just smiles" event on 11/4? :unsure: It would have to be in the vacinity of my hotel (if not at my hotel) which is a short walk from the convention center.

GC308E8

Early on 10/30. South Jersey, about 37 miles from your location in Philly

No other events I could find in the NJ, PA, DE area that are within an hour drive

GC308E8

Early on 10/30. South Jersey, about 37 miles from your location in Philly

No other events I could find in the NJ, PA, DE area that are within an hour drive

Thanks, I found that one when I was looking too. However, I'm in class from 08:30am to 4:30pm that day. Missed my window.

I've been so busy lately that I haven't had time to organize any events with the locals. I had an idea to have 4 flashmob style events in PA., NJ.,DA., and MD. Alas, I dropped the ball there.

At least I got this thread started early so I have some good caches to shoot for and fun stuff to do in my spare time. Thanks to everyone that has helped out with suggestions.

Anyone up for a No Smiley Just Smiles rendezvous on 10/30 or 11/4 around 5pm to 5:30pm in the vacinity of the Courtyard Marriott across the street from City Hall or the PA convention center?

I have some trackables that need to move on and I'd be happy to take any trackables that want to head back to Texas. I will also have quite a few of my signature smashed coins to trade/give away.

a7d06b96-6ea8-41b4-81a0-6ad02a515c49.jpg