NOT favorite

va griz

I was looking for a cache the other day that was a favorite for at least one person. It wasn't the sort of place I like, too much trash everywhere. It made me wonder what sort of cache people would NOT favorite. There will always be exceptions, so I will not say I would NEVER favorite a cache like this, but if it's trashy or in a sticky sharp plant the cache would have to be exceptional in some other way to get a favorite from me.

What are the things that generally rule out a cache from your favorite list?

Thus far, I am having difficulty doling out even half of my favorite votes. So I would have to conclude that it has to be verrry special/memorable for me to add a vote.

So - to answer the OP - trash, lack of a view, poor container, lots of muggles would all be on my 'no favorite' criteria list.

It's meant to be a positive feature on the website. Something tells me a "non-favorite" would just create a whinefest and/or finger pointing.

I favorited a cache that was actually in a trash dump, another that was 200 feet back a storm drain, a cache that was a piece of trash, and another just outside of some rockin' abandoned houses (+5 if the cache was actually IN the houses, but that would have been outright trespassing).

We all have our own little quirks - you don't have to agree with what I favorite - just pass it on and don't give that cache a thumbs up.

Maybe the area was not trashy when the person found it. Maybe it was their first find. Maybe they thought it was very clever when they found it. Maybe it was a special milestone or FTF. There's lots of reasons people give a favorite point to a cache.

Would I favorite a cache near trash? No

there are many nice caches with no favorite points. Obviously they are not great, but they are nice. There are caches with a few favorite points that I would consider lame. Why someone favorites a cache can be a mystery. Who knows, possible someone is favoriting something just to mess with folks. Maybe they had their first kiss there. Maybe the cache has deteriorated since they favorited it.

Some responders really need to re-read the posts again. It's not worded the best, but you can figure out the gist if you try.

On the topic. Many styles would certainly make it VERY hard for me to make it a favorite, but there are some creative people out there that could change my mind. I'm actually working on 2 guardrail caches that will be nothing like the majority of them. So you never know for sure.

I recently found one that was under a lamp pole base, behind a CVS drugstore. Nothing was especially interesting about it. Apparently it was put there because the hider's mother works here.

Out of 121 finders, one of them favorited this cache. It was find number 500 for that finder.

A special find for him, but for the other 120 people, just another LPC pill bottle.

I would have to say no lamp post caches or nanos on signs are going to get my favorites. I haven't got around to handing them out yet but when I do they will be for ammo cans hid on rock outcroppings just off aome hiking trail, that have been there forever and have the original logs, these I love.

It's not worded the best, but you can figure out the gist if you try.

I agree it is difficult to figure out what I am looking for. If you can word it better I would appreciate it.

Anyway, by no means am I suggesting a "least favorite" option or trying to complain about certain hides.

I think any cache that seems to lack a purpose would rule it out for a favorite point of mine. For example, caches that were placed "just because there wasn't a cache in this area", or placing so many every 527 feet that you start naming them after your favorite vegitables or Backstreet Boys songs.

I generally use the favorites to point out a good cache for someone who is new to the game.

Or a super cool location.

I will not favorite a cache that I don't find appealing or worthy of recommending to someone new. Which doesn't mean that the caches that I have not favorited are bad, just that they don't inspire me.

Out of 334 available favorite points, we have 211 still remaining. I don't give them out lightly, but that's my view on them. I would probably use them on milestone caches, but then we normally plan our caches around milestones and try to find a good one on that 500th or whatever find. (Except for our 200th find, Lame Micro - A4 Hoerselgau -- the exception that caused the rule.)

I was looking for a cache the other day that was a favorite for at least one person. It wasn't the sort of place I like, too much trash everywhere. It made me wonder what sort of cache people would NOT favorite. There will always be exceptions, so I will not say I would NEVER favorite a cache like this, but if it's trashy or in a sticky sharp plant the cache would have to be exceptional in some other way to get a favorite from me.

What are the things that generally rule out a cache from your favorite list?

I think you know it when you find one. If I reach that "Awww coooooool" moment..then it gets a favorite. Simple parking lot caches...not my favorites. If I have journey some place fun/cool/interesting or really have to figure out where that cache is because someone put time, effort, and ingenuity into it...then it will probably be a favorite.

area frequented by homeless people, littered with syringes, condoms, etc.

area that is used by hunters a lot

swampy area that requires me to get in swamp with alligators and snakes

trashy areas

4 or 5 star difficulty that requires me to stand in front of lots of muggles at all times of the day

anything "lame" ie: anything that I wonder why the heck I was brought there to search for a boring nano or micro in a boring location.

Thus far, I am having difficulty doling out even half of my favorite votes. So I would have to conclude that it has to be verrry special/memorable for me to add a vote.

So - to answer the OP - trash, lack of a view, poor container, lots of muggles would all be on my 'no favorite' criteria list.

I know some think that they need to use them for some reason but there is no requirement that they be doled out. I am not going to go back and look through my finds very hard. There are a couple I did in Alaska and British Columbia that were special but other than that I will save my 206 votes for the future.

Some CO's have even made a contest of it asking people who log their cache to vote for it. Not unexpected really but a little cheesey (sort of like multiple logs at an event for the temp caches).