where did my smiley faces go on google maps

just noticed that my smiley,s are not showing on google maps today also my star icon for caches i have hidden are also not stars anymore they all look like a regular unfound cache anyone know why my profile still shows my finds and if i search by address it still shows my smiley's and stars thanks !

just noticed that my smiley,s are not showing on google maps today also my star icon for caches i have hidden are also not stars anymore they all look like a regular unfound cache anyone know why my profile still shows my finds and if i search by address it still shows my smiley's and stars thanks !

Hi Guys the same here????

Did you happen to load up the Beta maps? If so -- others have the same complaint about their "old" map.

I just noticed this today... via both maps, some caches do not even show up on the beta, but do on the google. but both do not show the smileys.

I just found a cache yesterday, and it does not show on the beta, or the google.

Somethings a bit buggy, sure GS will get er fixed.

Same problem here, intermittently, for several weeks.

Workaround #1: Refresh the map page. This seems to restore the ability to exclude found/hidden caches, but it takes one back to the original central coordinates, which might not be desirable if one has been moving the map around.

Workaround #2: Switch between old maps and beta maps (either direction). This seems to restore the ability to exclude found/hidden cache. Plus, these days, it preserves the current central coordinates.

I am having the same problem. I hope they fix it soon. I find it easiest to plan my trips using google maps.[

quote name=u.p. pirates' timestamp='1300657787' post='4654758]

Did you happen to load up the Beta maps? If so -- others have the same complaint about their "old" map.

I just noticed this today... via both maps, some caches do not even show up on the beta, but do on the google.

The beta maps don't get updated every day, so newer caches sometimes won't show up until the next update. This problem should become less of an issue when the beta maps go into full production mode and updates become more frequent.

I just found a cache yesterday, and it does not show on the beta, or the google.

If it doesn't appear on Google, then that's indeed odd. Are you sure you aren't excluding found caches from the Google map?

OK Groundspeak, what seems to be the problem here? This has been happening to my map if I leave the map page open for a while. Now it is immediate when I open the map page. Not real happy about this.

Everything that jgoose said here is exactly what I've been dealing with too. --Dulce-Joy

I just noticed this today... via both maps, some caches do not even show up on the beta, but do on the google.

The beta maps don't get updated every day, so newer caches sometimes won't show up until the next update. This problem should become less of an issue when the beta maps go into full production mode and updates become more frequent.

If it doesn't appear on Google, then that's indeed odd. Are you sure you aren't excluding found caches from the Google map?

You can't exclude "finds" either!

Here's a quote from a Lackey on the feedback site regarding this topic.

The addition of many new major features plus the record traffic levels we're experiencing has caused some serious performance issues for the site. Some features like the personalization of the maps have been disabled temporarily just to allow the site to function. Fixing these and other performance issues is a top priority.

The addition of many new major features plus the record traffic levels we're experiencing has caused some serious performance issues for the site. Some features like the personalization of the maps have been disabled temporarily just to allow the site to function. Fixing these and other performance issues is a top priority.

Note to Lackey: If the maps are not personalized then the site is not functioning. Slow with personalized maps is better than fast without.

Note to Lackey: If the maps are not personalized then the site is not functioning. Slow with personalized maps is better than fast without.

Not when it take 30 to 50 seconds to load each and every page from the site into the browser!!!

Not when it take 30 to 50 seconds to load each and every page from the site into the browser!!!

Either way is broken.

temporarily? one site update per month, this has been broke for 4 updates now. thats 4 months! HARDLY TEMP and extremely annoying!

temporarily? one site update per month, this has been broke for 4 updates now. thats 4 months! HARDLY TEMP and extremely annoying!

ummm this issue just happening for much of last sunday.....my maps look ok since

I'm reading this thread and noticing it was all posted on March 20,2011. Here it is 4 days later and my maps are still broken! When is it going to be fixed for good???

Are you viewing the map through your computer or phone? Either way, you might try restarting. That should reset your memory cache & fix your maps.

i have not loaded the beta maps should i are they better?
they have the issue too.

this was broke 4 updates ago and STILL hasn't been addressed despite many posts about it.

caches on ignore list also show up[extremely annoying!]

Why should they fix the BETA maps before other currently used features (like the alpha-release Google Maps) aren't working? It's the implied expectation that a Beta release might not have full functionality.

If you find this extremely annoying, you are either easily annoyed or have life so good you've lost perspective on reality. Sit back, have a donut and be glad you this is the biggest thing you have to be annoyed about.

:omnomnom:

Edit to add: Oh, yeah... I have the map issue as well. Refreshing the page helps, but this sends me back to the point of origin when I opened the map. Please fix the alpha release before the beta maps, unless you're about to make the switch...

Oh, BTW, here's 2 feedback threads :

Recover the map timeout settings

Return the smiley-faces on found caches on the google maps

Edited by Too Tall John