Placing Caches "Abroad"

What do you all think about placing a cache somewhere you don't live and may never again visit? Would you just let the log fill up and then hope someone in the area will take it over, let the log fill up and then deactivate the cache (sort of a TAZ cache, make it a virtual, or not do it at all? Plus, how would one go about getting that distant cache approved and published while, say, on holiday?

From the Knowledge Books:

Because of the effort required to maintain a geocache, we ask that you place physical caches in your usual caching area and not while on a vacation or business trip. It is best when you live within a manageable distance from the cache placements to allow for return visits. Geocaches placed during travel may not be published unless you are able to demonstrate an acceptable maintenance plan, which must allow for a quick response to reported problems. An acceptable maintenance plan might include the username of a local geocacher who will handle maintenance issues in your absence. Alternatively you might train a local person to maintain the cache. Document your maintenance plan in a Note to Reviewer on your cache page.

I am coming along and saying if you have a caching friend that lives in the area that will watch over it then place the cache. I go to Nevada once a year and I have caches placed there that a local will check for me if anything happens to any of the caches. So far there has never been a problem but they are not P&G caches. If you find a spot you would like to place a cache while on vacation then place one if you have a person that will keep a eye on it everything should be fine. ;)

What you end up with is a temporary cache at best.

Temporary caches aren't allowed.

Don't make the locals wish they didn't have tourists by leaving geotrash that they have to take care of.

They'll eventually place many "DNF's" or "needs maintenance" logs and say nasty things about the cache owner/ tourist who abandoned it before it gets archived.

Better never placed at all.

What would be your point in doing so?

It would not be of benefit to them in the long run.

If it's just for your own fun, then have that fun back home where it won't end up at the expense of others.

Vacation caches are a bad idea. Don't do it.

That said someone is gonna come along and tell you that if you have a maintenance plan in place you can get one published. That may be so but it is still a bad idea. Let the locals hide and maintain their own caches.

Oddly, the local maintainer frequently doesn't do the maintenance (or doesn't exist.)

Vacation caches are a bad idea. Don't do it.

That said someone is gonna come along and tell you that if you have a maintenance plan in place you can get one published. That may be so but it is still a bad idea. Let the locals hide and maintain their own caches.

Oddly, the local maintainer frequently doesn't do the maintenance (or doesn't exist.)

I live somewhere where people feel the need to drop their stuff and call it a cache. It's rarely maintained even if the person comes back a couple times a summer. Here's what I figured out... while on vacation people don't want to "work" and maintain their caches. they want to do the fun stuff like play on the lakes.

I'm not a fan of the vacation cache even when someone claims to have someone to maintain it.

Yeah, I knew a woman who's daughter was into geocaching. Said daughter hid several caches well away from where she lived, said mother was the supposed maintainer. Mother was lucky to walk from a Wal-mart parking spot to the door without being dropped off at the door. It was a total joke, but at least Mom really did exist, unlike too many vacation caches.

The consensus seems to be - DON'T DO IT and fair enough. The only reason it occurred to me was that i sometimes come across a fantastic spot on holiday and would love it if others could see it as well, so I thought "Why not a cache to this location?" But, yes, Waymarking seems like a lot less hassle and litter....Thanks for the responses!

The consensus seems to be - DON'T DO IT and fair enough. The only reason it occurred to me was that i sometimes come across a fantastic spot on holiday and would love it if others could see it as well, so I thought "Why not a cache to this location?" But, yes, Waymarking seems like a lot less hassle and litter....Thanks for the responses!

You can always contact a local cacher to let him know about it. Maybe he'll even give you partial credit for the hide.

Another reason for allowing the locals to place the hides is that they are more likely to be aware of specific local policies than visitors. I wonder how many vacation caches are rotting away in NC State Parks or National Parks that were placed by well intentioned cachers who never returned to pick up their trash?

The only reason it occurred to me was that i sometimes come across a fantastic spot on holiday and would love it if others could see it as well, so I thought "Why not a cache to this location?"

There may be a very good reason "why not" which experienced locals are aware of (known drug stash/drop location, heavy security presence, local policies, cache thief in the area, trouble caused by a cache in that location in the past, etc.) but you as a tourist are not.