Funniest excuses!

KBLAST

I was reading another topic and it got me thinking about some of the funniest excuses I've ever come up with or heard of someone else saying. I personally never lie to authorities, but sometimes I'd rather not risk exposing the cache to someone who may or may not understand caching.

Once when I was searching around a bush, a trash man came up to ask me what I was doing. I told him I thought these bushes were really cool and I was trying to figure out what kind of bush they were. This was made even funnier because I was sharing this story in front of my daughter after I had just had a conversation about lying and how she shouldn't. This of course led to the discussion of "when lies are appropriate." ;) The best part was that while I was searching the nearby bush and lying to the trash man, I later discovered the cache was in the trash can he was emptying. :D

I do a lot of tree climbing caches, and I periodically get asked what I'm doing. I have a harness and ropes to keep me locked in, and I often climb 30-60 feet high in trees. I one time was asked what I was doing up there, and my answer was, "Playing hide and seek."

My FAVORITE of all time was something someone ELSE did, though. He and a number of people were searching for a cache after dark near a tree. It was an "FTF party" where lots had shown up hoping to find it first, and almost all of them were looking UP into the branches (not a tree climb, but in the branches above their heads). A group of teenagers ran down to ask what the cachers were doing. One of the cachers said, "I dropped my contact lens... can you help me find it?" :D The teenagers joined for a while but eventually gave up and left. I still ponder how none of them stopped to think about the fact that contacts wouldn't fall UP! :D

What do you all have?

Edited by KBLAST

Here is a very recent thread on the very same subject...:http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=268303

No, it's not. That thread is how you respond to an authority when you are caught. I would like to know funny responses. This is why I avoided posting to that topic and created my own. I think these are completely different subjects.

Edited to include: Incidentally, this very recent thread was the "another topic" I was reading when I decided to create this one.

Edited by KBLAST

"I'm checking radiation levels to see when this area will be safe again" has worked twice to move folks along.

I learned the hard way that "I'm looking for some big snakes that have been reported back here" does not work well when kids on a playground see you in the woods and come ask what you are doing. Instead of leaving they're response was "COOL! Can we help?" which soon led to three very unhappy Moms wanting to know what we were doing in the woods with their kids. :huh::o The Moms were not one bit impressed with the truth, especially when we could not find this container we were supposedly hunting! :blink:

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I don't recall who posted this originally, I read it here about 2 years ago. Someone said "we're looking for snakes", hoping the other person would hurry away. That person replied "oh cool! let's look!" and spent the next half an hour helping them find snakes.

Helped them look? Thats nothing.... What about when they actually find one!

icon_smile.gifKI4HLW found 2.gif Crazy

Sunday, 06 September 2009 Florida

Sometimes I think the world is playing a joke on me. So I decide to make a run at this one to see if I can get the FTF still as it had been an hour since it was published and I'm up in north Vero, but why not!

So I pull up to the spot easy enough and jump out of the car to get to the GZ, after 30 seconds of hunting I spot the cache, just then I hear 2 boys laughing on the road and they stop at the top of the road and jump down to were I am looking in the ditch... not sure who was more startled! Thinking quickly (remind me to stop doing that) I ask them if they see many snakes in the area, which they say yes and ask why... so I tell them I catch and sell snakes. No sooner then I say this does a Baby Water Moccasin swims by that the boys want me to catch!!! Forget that, I hate snakes! So I tell them I was just scooping the area out and don't have any gear... the kid hands me a stick and says "Use this!" So I tell them I have nothing to put it in while half expecting the kid to hand me a Tupperware container, thank god he didn't have one on him. So I tell the kids I am going.

I pull around the corner and wait, and wait, and wait... for the kids to leave. 30 minutes later they climb out of the ditch and finally go home.... 2 houses from the cache!!! Luckily they only played in the front yard for 5 more minutes before going inside and I swoop in for the FTF!

P.S. I am writing this while waiting for 2 Cops that are parked 25 feet from the next new cache to leave.... I so need a new hobby!

On a gloomy cold day, the best for such things, I was hunting for a cache on playground equipment. Since I don't have little kids to back me up, those gray days are good. As I hunted, here came a live kid, asking me "Whatcha doin' mister?" "I'm the playground inspector, making sure this is safe for you." "OK" he said departing. No nervous mom or unhappy dad around.

On a gloomy cold day, the best for such things, I was hunting for a cache on playground equipment. Since I don't have little kids to back me up, those gray days are good. As I hunted, here came a live kid, asking me "Whatcha doin' mister?" "I'm the playground inspector, making sure this is safe for you." "OK" he said departing. No nervous mom or unhappy dad around.

Glad he was a live one,, I just hate running into zombies while caching! :P:lol::laughing:

me and the grandkids where in a woodline along a river looking for a cache when a couple pulled up to ask if we where having trouble and if we needed help. When I turned around with a gps in my hands ,she said oh you are just taking pictures. guess you can say I didn't have to lie. But didn't find the cache.

Our one and only night time cache was in a local park, quite a few geocachers out and about that evening, we all had torches which we could see in the distance. We did hear that one group was asked by a man "Is someone missing?"

I wonder sometimes what muggles must think seeing my hubby in a bush when we are out geocaching :-) he has been asked a couple of times mind you. And in another park geocaching by myself the other day a man with his dog asked me "where is your dog". I wish we still had our dog at least it doesn't look as bad wandering about if you do have a dog with you, I am still waiting on a police officer asking me/us what are we doing.......... gulp !

me and the grandkids where in a woodline along a river looking for a cache when a couple pulled up to ask if we where having trouble and if we needed help. When I turned around with a gps in my hands ,she said oh you are just taking pictures. guess you can say I didn't have to lie. But didn't find the cache.

lol I was asked that by a lady walking by one time I was out geocaching, I had parked across the road from the hedge I was peering into, "Have you broken down?"

I don't recall who posted this originally, I read it here about 2 years ago. Someone said "we're looking for snakes", hoping the other person would hurry away. That person replied "oh cool! let's look!" and spent the next half an hour helping them find snakes.

Helped them look? Thats nothing.... What about when they actually find one!

icon_smile.gifKI4HLW found 2.gif Crazy

Sunday, 06 September 2009 Florida

Sometimes I think the world is playing a joke on me. So I decide to make a run at this one to see if I can get the FTF still as it had been an hour since it was published and I'm up in north Vero, but why not!

So I pull up to the spot easy enough and jump out of the car to get to the GZ, after 30 seconds of hunting I spot the cache, just then I hear 2 boys laughing on the road and they stop at the top of the road and jump down to were I am looking in the ditch... not sure who was more startled! Thinking quickly (remind me to stop doing that) I ask them if they see many snakes in the area, which they say yes and ask why... so I tell them I catch and sell snakes. No sooner then I say this does a Baby Water Moccasin swims by that the boys want me to catch!!! Forget that, I hate snakes! So I tell them I was just scooping the area out and don't have any gear... the kid hands me a stick and says "Use this!" So I tell them I have nothing to put it in while half expecting the kid to hand me a Tupperware container, thank god he didn't have one on him. So I tell the kids I am going.

I pull around the corner and wait, and wait, and wait... for the kids to leave. 30 minutes later they climb out of the ditch and finally go home.... 2 houses from the cache!!! Luckily they only played in the front yard for 5 more minutes before going inside and I swoop in for the FTF!

P.S. I am writing this while waiting for 2 Cops that are parked 25 feet from the next new cache to leave.... I so need a new hobby!

I am laughing so much at this story.,,.......... sorry but no way could I go down in a ditch if there were snakes, we have them here but nothing like you guys over wherever you are. I have visions of them handing you a tupperware box lol lol :-)

"Playground inspector" sounds a little creepy to me. Might as well tell them you're handing out free candy.

That is creepy. But perhaps it is from a future client so it pays the bills. As my friend said when he explained why he was out in the playground so earlier in the morning, "I did not want to look suspicious." To which the city worker replied, "You already do."