Stolen coin by newbie, any ideas?

geocache team

My "German Canadian Friendship Geocoin" TB2G69M started from Germany to Canada and should went back.

The coin made it to Calgary and was stolen by a newbie.

faba333 found no caches, but retrieved 3 coins and 1 TB. One coin was grabbed by Toan17 and released.

Both did not respond to my mails.

Does anybody has an idea to activate those cachers - show them how it all works and get my coin on the road again?

Thanks in advance and keep on caching!

If you ever hope to obtain cooperation from the person who picked up your geocoin it will be best to refrain from using the word "stolen" and publishing accusations here and elsewhere. It will also be best to remove the statement "stolen by faba333" from the trackable's title.

Your best hope is to assume that the person who picked up the geocoin did so without fully understanding how that part of the game works, and that he or she will learn of their mistake and put the item back into circulation at some point in the future. The chances of this are admittedly small, but the chances of receiving cooperation after being disrespectful are near zero. Perhaps you should hope for the best instead of poking the newbie in the eye by name publicly.

If you ever hope to obtain cooperation from the person who picked up your geocoin it will be best to refrain from using the word "stolen" and publishing accusations here and elsewhere. It will also be best to remove the statement "stolen by faba333" from the trackable's title.

Your best hope is to assume that the person who picked up the geocoin did so without fully understanding how that part of the game works, and that he or she will learn of their mistake and put the item back into circulation at some point in the future. The chances of this are admittedly small, but the chances of receiving cooperation after being disrespectful are near zero. Perhaps you should hope for the best instead of poking the newbie in the eye by name publicly.

Yep.

I was the one that moved it to Geowoodstock. Its sad when some people just mess things up. Its a very well made coin.

I would remove the "stolen by" off of the coin name, IMOH.

I did the same thing a few years ago for missing TBs, and then they disappeared from the cacher's inventory completely as well as any trace that they picked them up. It's not a nice thing to do anyway, and will only train them how not to get caught.

Each time you release a trackable it's best to consider it as having already been stolen and that way you can consider each log that you get to be a bonus.

I am glad you mentioned this.

When we were in the process of designing and creating our new geocoin, my wife mentioned that as a practical matter, we should view each coin released as never coming back to us.

After we discussed it, we agreed, we were okay with that concept.

We also decided if we don't want to release a coin for whatever reason, we should just hang on to it.

Recently, we reached a milestone and purchased a coin to commemorate it. We agreed that coin stays with us.

Statistically, if someone found one of our coins and decided to return it to us some years down the road, it would be cool.

However, we agreed with Kryten, as we release the coins we are really hoping to get as many logs as we can and we are thankful for what we get.

Happy Geocaching! - hawkeyetob

From the log... "Me and my little sister" says volumes... The rest speaks to not understanding the various logging requirements...yet! Hopefully Spring will bring them out again AFTER reading up some more... and realizing the cache and trackable logs are different. At least they read the bit about logging the Trackables at Geocaching.com and seem to have registered.

Time will tell. Locals keep an eye out for them, probably from a local school that does some caching or scouts/guides, etc.

Doug 7rxc

I'm havin the same problem with a TB. The user has noted that they picked it up, but after months of trying, I get no response from them. I don't understand. Hopefully it will show up.

I don't think we should just accept the fact that trackables are "stolen" when released. Education and a lack of apathy and sense of what is the right thing to do is the key.

As far as removing "stolen by", at what point is the trackable considered stolen? Has the retriever just forgotten to move it for ever? It can never be deemed stolen?

I had a similar issue with a TB I brought from Europe to the US. I went to the regional discussion area and was able to locate a friend of the "hold on er" and they got the TB released after 11 months.

I'm havin the same problem with a TB. The user has noted that they picked it up, but after months of trying, I get no response from them. I don't understand. Hopefully it will show up.

I don't think we should just accept the fact that trackables are "stolen" when released. Education and a lack of apathy and sense of what is the right thing to do is the key.

As far as removing "stolen by", at what point is the trackable considered stolen? Has the retriever just forgotten to move it for ever? It can never be deemed stolen?

The first trackable we lost, I got upset. A little less so for the next few, but still very unhappy.

At this point, I think we've lost more than are still out in circulation. I could be wrong, but a look through our collection reveals a whole lot of "unknown" locations.

I don't like it when our trackables vanish, but it happens. I would like for it to happen less, sure. But at this point, we've resigned ourselves to the fact that if we send it out there, it may well vanish. If we don't want it getting lost or stolen, we keep it, and that's really the only guarantee against loss.

Try sending a very friendly note to the cachers who are holding it, with the logging instructions link, found in the pinned threads at the top. Offer the help nicely and sincerely, and thank them for helping to move the coin, saying you can't wait to see where it will go next. This might nudge them, and make them realize it was not swag to keep. But as GPSfun stated, "poking them in the eye" in the forums does nothing for your cause. You can even mention it is allowable to go back to a cache they already found, so it's easier. Just mention they should log a note, and not another find, on the cache page.

A fairly new thing re coins and bugs is the " COLLECTIBLE " feature. If you have not checked " NOT COLLECTIBLE " on the bug sheet folks can grab it and add it to their collection album. I went back and except for a couple I made them all " NOT COLLECTIBLE "....the one I didn't is in Groundspeak headquarters.