Official Geocaching.com stickers for geocaches

This is to all of you who currently BUY official geocaching.com stickers to place on the geocaches that you hide.

Or to those of you who don't... but would if they did what I am requesting.

I would like to know how many of you would buy the following types of stickers, IF they were made available to purchase from geocaching.com.

I have allready suggested to the girl that works at geocaching.com who processes the orders & she emailed back & thought my ideas were great. However, 6 months later they still don't offer what I suggested.

I live in Texas. Here in Texas there is a significant population of hispanic speaking people. Most of the landscaping, and other type jobs similar to those are filled by the hispanic popluation. I have placed quite a few caches in my area. I have found that WHEN I DON'T have some type of sticker or notice on the geocache in SPANISH, that these caches tend to get "muggled". In fact a cache of my wife got muggled 4 times until I put a SPANISH language geocache sticker on it. Once I did that.. Presto, the cache has now gone almost a year without being muggled again. Go figure.

These spanish geocaching stickers are ones I printed on my computer myself. Although they are NOT the quality that you get from the stickers you order from geocaching.com. (Ie, they aren't weather resistant & waterproof like the ones you get from geocaching.com).

So my suggestion as I mentioned to the girl at geocaching.com was simply to offer the same geocaching stickers they they have now, in SPANISH as well. They have them in German allready, so why not Spanish???

I think SPANISH language stickers for here in the USA would be of big value and I am willing to bet, that those of you who do buy geocaching.com stickers allready would probably order SPANISH stickers as well. ESPIECIALLY... if your in CA, AZ, NM, TX, UT where I know for a fact there are HUGE populations of hispanic speaking people.

The nice thing I really like about Groundspeak is that they keep a close eye on what is going on in these forums. Unlike many other companies. So if they see that WE users would like to have Official Geocaching.com geocache stickers in spanish for our geocaches, then maybe, just maybe they will offer these to us.

My other question... is how many of you would like to see these "Green" geocaching.com stickers offered in a "tan" or "Sand" like colour? Since not everywhere in the world is "Green" and some GREAT hiding spots would be better suited to a "Tan" or "Sand" like colour sticker instead of green.

What do you think? Good ideas? Bad? Would you buy them if they offered them? Do you buy their stickers now?

TGC

Wow, I must attest my ignorance, I had no idea that most muggles were Hispanic!

By all means this is a great idea. I mean we certainly want all the Hispanics out there leaving our caches alone!

*SARCASM*

Of course, the sarcastic remarks are said, as a person of Hispanic origin. I find the initial post to be disconcerting and a bit offensive.

Muggles come in all colors, shapes and sizes.

And if you are finding your caches going missing because whilst in landscaping, it maybe because there was no permission granted? Or, if permission was granted, maybe finding out who the caretaker is and letting them in on the caches whereabouts.

Now, if the post had said maybe we should have stickers to let those who speak Spanish know about this little game and welcome them to go to the website, I may be more prone to support the foreign language stickers.

Edited by buttaskotch

FWIW, there are places where you can have bumper stickers printed with any artwork you want. I've done this myself, and the quality and durability were good. A typical 3x10" bumper sticker could be cut in half to produce two 3x5" cache stickers. It could also be cut into five 2x3" cache stickers, or ten 1x3" cache stickers, or whatever.

Edited by niraD
No one said that. But in an area where a significant fraction of the population speaks Spanish (or French, or Klingon, or...), it makes sense to include that language in any labels that identify the cache.
No one said that. But in an area where a significant fraction of the population speaks Spanish (or French, or Klingon, or...), it makes sense to include that language in any labels that identify the cache.

I was being sarcastic, due to the OP rubbing this Hispanic, non-gardener, the wrong way

Sounds like you have yourself a marketable idea. Have some printed and offer them for sale. Perhaps GS will carry them in the GS store.

I would have but heres the deal...

I took a smale geocaching.com sticker in to a business that could do them. I took as a sample. The small one that geocaching.com sells for the small caches.

To have one of those printed up. Exactly like that except in Spanish or even Spanish/English sticker, would require a MINIUMUM order of 7,500 stickers. At 50 cents a sticker. (geocaching.com sells the small stickers for $1.25 each)... 7,500 of those stickers would be $3,7500!! NOT including sales tax & the $250 "Setup" charge. (Total of $4,000).

One I don't have the funds for an investment like this, with no promise of being able to sell off that many stickers and even break even in my costs. I only need maybe 250 of these stickers at MOST! (I have currently 150 caches)

So for ME to undertake a venture like this would be pointless. I don't even know where I could go to sell them, without having to pay an "Additional" fee to someone for selling them etc...

So yes... I could.. but for me it ISN'T financially feasible.

One other thing to note.... COPYRIGHT LAW.... I would NOT be able to produce these stickers with the geocaching logo on them without paying some kind of "Fee" to geocaching.com. That would add to the expense as well. As the "LOGO" that geocaching.com uses is in fact COPYRIGHTED!

The stickers are kind of pointless without the geocaching.com logo.

TGC

By all means this is a great idea. I mean we certainly want all the Hispanics out there leaving our caches alone!

*SARCASM*

Of course, the sarcastic remarks are said, as a person of Hispanic origin. I find the initial post to be disconcerting and a bit offensive.

And if you are finding your caches going missing because whilst in landscaping, it maybe because there was no permission granted? Or, if permission was granted, maybe finding out who the caretaker is and letting them in on the caches whereabouts.

Now, if the post had said maybe we should have stickers to let those who speak Spanish know about this little game and welcome them to go to the website, I may be more prone to support the foreign language stickers.

I never meant to imply that MOST muggles were hispanic. If thats the way you read it. Then my sincerest apologies.

What I was trying to say is this. A geocache, with a spanish language sticker on it, will be LESS likely to be muggled by a spanish speaking individual because they will be able to read the spanish language sticker and thus know what this container is. A Geocache. If this individual that only speaks & understands spanish comes across a geocache container that only has an english language sticker on it. Then they would NOT be able to know that it is a geocache & to leave it alone.

I will make this statement again though. My wifes geocache that was muggled 4 times within about 3 weeks, STOPPED getting muggled once we placed spanish language stickers on it. The cache is hidden in a location that is frequented by landscaping crews in the summer at least once a week if not more. The Majority of landscaping crews here in the Dallas, TX area employ more hispanic individuals that speak & understand only spanish. That is a fact, Good or bad. It isn't my fault if the facts show that most landscaping crews in Dallas are in fact hispanic.

TGC

P.S.... AS far as letting the caretaker/Landowner know about the geocache They do. They have told the landscaping crews multiple times. However, the employees of such crews are NEVER the same & the "Supervisor" of the landscaping crews forgets. Even when the landscaping crew was busted by INS for hiring illegals & the HOA (Home Owners Association) found a new landscaping company. The problem still existed. It was the PRESIDENT of the HOA that suggested that my wife & I PUT a spanish lanugage label on the geocache in the first place. BTW I am a member of this HOA & the president of this HOA is hispanic himself.

Like I said.. I NEVER meant to imply that most muggles were hispanic. All I was saying is that there are alot of people in our area that understand ONLY the spanish language. That having a spanish language sticker would REDUCE the chances of a geocache being muggled simply because someone who only speaks & understands spanish would be able to know what that container is. If it just has an english language label only then the spanish speaking individual would have NO idea what it was he had in his hands.

Again my apologies... I was never trying to imply that most muggles in our area were hispanic.

Edited by texasgrillchef

I find the initial post to be disconcerting and a bit offensive.

I believe you're reading a little too much into his posting.

We put stickers on our caches so that if a muggle finds it, they know it's not trash and they are know to leave the cache where they found it. The problem is...if you can't read the label, you're not going to know the cache belongs there.

The OP stated that he believes that those who don't speak English will treat the cache with respect if they know what it is and that when he provided a Spanish translation his assumption proved correct. That's respectful and thoughtful.

In the southwest United States, landscaping is an ideal job for a new immigrant who doesn't speak the language. As a result, landscaping crews are typically filled with workers who cannot read the English language. It's the rule, not the exception. Providing the information in a language they can read is respectful, not rude...and helpful to all of us.

Do some more research. I'll bet you can do much better. And use either your own logo or one of the open source logos that are out there. It doesn't have to be an official GC.com sticker. As a matter of fact, if I were to do it I would not include a web addy but provide a space for "Cache#______Listed on WWW.________________.com". That way it can be used for any listing service.

I can't imagine why anyone would spend money on a geocache sticker, regardless of the language. I print my own cache notices, laminate them on a cheap, hand-cranked lamination machine I have at work, and stick them inside the cache. Sometimes I don't even bother to laminate them. They are in English only however I'm tempted to find someone to translate them into Cantonese, Mandarin and Hindi since my home town is over 60% Asian/South Asian. It boggles my grey matter that anyone would take exception to multi-lingual cache stickers/notices for caches hidden in communities with large ethnic populations of new immigrants.

Do some more research. I'll bet you can do much better. And use either your own logo or one of the open source logos that are out there. It doesn't have to be an official GC.com sticker. As a matter of fact, if I were to do it I would not include a web addy but provide a space for "Cache#______Listed on WWW.________________.com". That way it can be used for any listing service.

I will do more research. Just would be nice if geocaching.com did it. Much easier.

Currently I am making stickers using my laserprinter on so called weather resistant labels made by Avery. They work and last for a little while. They are not the same quality as those that geocaching.com have available. Nor do my homemade stickers last as long or as well as the official geocaching.com ones.

The price quote I listed above were for the same style sticker. Ie weather resistant vinyl sticker with weather reistant glue backing and the proffesional based weather resistant ink.

From Office Depot you can buy Avery branded as well as a few other brans of "Bumper" stickers. They seem to work ok for a little while, Yet while the sticker quality itself lasts a nice long time. The ink/toner printing from using your laser or even ink jet printer doesn't last more than a couple of months before fading away. I have looked into seeing if I could get specialty toner &/or ink cartridges for this. But apparently they don't make those.

Ie... FYI... You can get toner cartidges and inkjet cartridges that will print on RICE paper & are EDIBLE. The toner & inks are made out of squid ink, & thus when printed on rice paper both become edible. This is whats being used when you see cakes with photos on them & other food items with photos on them. The squid ink cartridges and toner along with rice paper isn't cheap! LOL

TGC

I can't imagine why anyone would spend money on a geocache sticker, regardless of the language. I print my own cache notices, laminate them on a cheap, hand-cranked lamination machine I have at work, and stick them inside the cache. Sometimes I don't even bother to laminate them. They are in English only however I'm tempted to find someone to translate them into Cantonese, Mandarin and Hindi since my home town is over 60% Asian/South Asian. It boggles my grey matter that anyone would take exception to multi-lingual cache stickers/notices for caches hidden in communities with large ethnic populations of new immigrants.

I have "Templates" of my homemade stickers that I use for spanish/english for the labels I use. I also have the templates in Traditional & New Chinese. As they call it. I don't know if thats cantonese or Mandarin or both.

If you would like that template for an Avery 8663 sticker I have it. Just let me know. I have it for both the Traditional Chinese and New Chinese.

Sorry no Hindi. I do have Arabic, & Hebrew as well.

The translations are the following phrases.

"Official Geocache", "Do Not Remove", "Not Trash", "Owner"

TGC

I have a business where we sell some neat custom stickers and my supplier will do very small minimum orders (in the area of a dozen). For Cachepalooza 5 I had him print me up 24 "iCache" stickers I gave away as swag to nice people I met. I also needed a custom sticker for a cache I am building, was cheap enough to buy a minimum just for the 1 I needed and a few spares if it gets muggled.

Dixie Printworx

www.dixieprintworx.com

(772) 567-0204

(Hope this is Ok to post, if not mods please edit and anyone who wants the info send me a PM)

I thought he danced well around a Political Correctness landmine.

I would suggest trying some clear spray paint on your homemade stickers. I use it on my log sheets and cache notes after I print them. The clear spray soaks in and seems to make the paper more water resistant, but remains pliable.

I live in a planned community in SE Texas where there are many gardens, ponds, fountains, etc. along the streets and in the numerous public parks. They are popular places to hide geocaches, and there is a lot of ingenuity by some to camouflage them with plastic leaves, pine needles, and bark so they won't be spotted by those other than geocachers. However, those hard-working guys wearing chartruese vests with their weed whackers, clippers, and mulch do come across our caches, despite our best efforts... they are that thorough. I have not taken a census, but most of the workers I've met do appear to be from Mexico and speak little English. I think talking with a crew chief about geocaching would be rather pointless. As many of the signs in public buildings here are in both English and Spanish, I think it useful that the geocaching sticker be made available in both languages as well, despite my preference for English as our national language. I used the Google translator to come up with something to use on a homemade sticker. Maybe it will work; maybe it won't, but I'll give it a shot.

I live in a planned community in SE Texas where there are many gardens, ponds, fountains, etc. along the streets and in the numerous public parks. They are popular places to hide geocaches, and there is a lot of ingenuity by some to camouflage them with plastic leaves, pine needles, and bark so they won't be spotted by those other than geocachers. However, those hard-working guys wearing chartruese vests with their weed whackers, clippers, and mulch do come across our caches, despite our best efforts... they are that thorough. I have not taken a census, but most of the workers I've met do appear to be from Mexico and speak little English. I think talking with a crew chief about geocaching would be rather pointless. As many of the signs in public buildings here are in both English and Spanish, I think it useful that the geocaching sticker be made available in both languages as well, despite my preference for English as our national language. I used the Google translator to come up with something to use on a homemade sticker. Maybe it will work; maybe it won't, but I'll give it a shot.

The HOA president of my HOA is hispanic and speaks spanish. He told me to use this...

"NO BASURA" meaning... "NOT TRASH"

&

"NO MOLESTAR" meaning... "DO not molest" as in "Do not remove/move etc..."

Then their is "Geocache Oficial" Official spelled the spanish way with one of those special characters for "Official Geocache"

TGC

I have a business where we sell some neat custom stickers and my supplier will do very small minimum orders (in the area of a dozen). For Cachepalooza 5 I had him print me up 24 "iCache" stickers I gave away as swag to nice people I met. I also needed a custom sticker for a cache I am building, was cheap enough to buy a minimum just for the 1 I needed and a few spares if it gets muggled.

Dixie Printworx

www.dixieprintworx.com

(772) 567-0204

(Hope this is Ok to post, if not mods please edit and anyone who wants the info send me a PM)

I will check them out.

What makes me wonder though.... Is why the quote for the stickers was $4,000 for 7500 (.50 a piece) which isn't bad.

So it makes me wonder what the difference between them & what you & a few others are finding?

Just curious... Maybe the only difference is that the company I checked with doesn't want to bother will small production runs. Since the cost per sticker is only 50 cents. The part that makes it expensive is the need for 7500 stickers.

TGC

Several of you have suggested some great ideas for making my own stickers as well.

Like I said.. I do. They work well, they just don't last near as long.

The problem my stickers/labels are having that I print with my laser. Is that after a while they start peeling off, as in no longer sticky. The glue doesn't last. Or the ink starts to fade. I don't know if this is due to the moisture washing the ink away, or if it's due to the UV Sun rays fading the ink, Or maybe both.

I did try the Avery branded "Bumper Stickers" like I said before. The Sticker seems to last ALOT longer than the other Avery labels as far as the "Glue" part of the sticker goes. The ink though from the laser printer though doesn't last near as long though on the bumper sticker than does it on the other Avery stickers that I use.

Ie... the Avery stickers that I use. last about 4-5 months (Glue & Ink). Bumper sticker's glue will last maybe 6 to 9 months, but the ink only lasts 2 to 4 months.

I have a geocaching sticker on my first cache placed over a year ago, & except for the dirt. IT is still as nice as it was the first day I stuck it on! :)

---

Using a stencil on a cache is great idea. Would be great for those Regular to larger sized caches. Doesn't work to well on Micro's and some smalls though. lol! :)

TGC

I thought he danced well around a Political Correctness landmine.

I would suggest trying some clear spray paint on your homemade stickers. I use it on my log sheets and cache notes after I print them. The clear spray soaks in and seems to make the paper more water resistant, but remains pliable.

You use the clear spray paint on the log sheets? Can they still sign them? What type clear paint do you use? Satin, or gloss ? Krylon, or Rust-o-leum?

I have tried to spray paint the stickers with the clear gloss from Rust-o-leum. The clear paint seems to "Disolve" the glue and they curl up and fall off even before the clear paint has dried! LOL Not a problem if your spraying log sheets though. ;)

TGC

I print my stickers using a lazer printer on to ordinary 100g/mm paper and then attached them to the cache using water proof transparent tape which is manufactured for out door work. Those stickers usually hold up fairly well.

This is to all of you who currently BUY official geocaching.com stickers to place on the geocaches that you hide.

Or to those of you who don't... but would if they did what I am requesting.

I would like to know how many of you would buy the following types of stickers, IF they were made available to purchase from geocaching.com.

I have allready suggested to the girl that works at geocaching.com who processes the orders & she emailed back & thought my ideas were great. However, 6 months later they still don't offer what I suggested.

I live in Texas. Here in Texas there is a significant population of hispanic speaking people. Most of the landscaping, and other type jobs similar to those are filled by the hispanic popluation. I have placed quite a few caches in my area. I have found that WHEN I DON'T have some type of sticker or notice on the geocache in SPANISH, that these caches tend to get "muggled". In fact a cache of my wife got muggled 4 times until I put a SPANISH language geocache sticker on it. Once I did that.. Presto, the cache has now gone almost a year without being muggled again. Go figure.

These spanish geocaching stickers are ones I printed on my computer myself. Although they are NOT the quality that you get from the stickers you order from geocaching.com. (Ie, they aren't weather resistant & waterproof like the ones you get from geocaching.com).

So my suggestion as I mentioned to the girl at geocaching.com was simply to offer the same geocaching stickers they they have now, in SPANISH as well. They have them in German allready, so why not Spanish???

I think SPANISH language stickers for here in the USA would be of big value and I am willing to bet, that those of you who do buy geocaching.com stickers allready would probably order SPANISH stickers as well. ESPIECIALLY... if your in CA, AZ, NM, TX, UT where I know for a fact there are HUGE populations of hispanic speaking people.

The nice thing I really like about Groundspeak is that they keep a close eye on what is going on in these forums. Unlike many other companies. So if they see that WE users would like to have Official Geocaching.com geocache stickers in spanish for our geocaches, then maybe, just maybe they will offer these to us.

My other question... is how many of you would like to see these "Green" geocaching.com stickers offered in a "tan" or "Sand" like colour? Since not everywhere in the world is "Green" and some GREAT hiding spots would be better suited to a "Tan" or "Sand" like colour sticker instead of green.

What do you think? Good ideas? Bad? Would you buy them if they offered them? Do you buy their stickers now?

TGC

Further proof that some people go out of their way to be offended by just about anything. No one said most muggles were Hispanic. However, in certain parts of the country (mine included), the people most likely to find a Geocache container accidentally - landscaping crews - are made up of people who do not speak English as their primary language, if at all.

I, for one, think it's a great idea. I would love to put an English sticker on one side and a Spanish sticker on the other side, or just one multi-lingual sticker on my cache.

Further, I'd love to have a line on the sticker stating who'd given permission, as well as a means of contacting them.

I have "Templates" of my homemade stickers that I use for spanish/english for the labels I use. I also have the templates in Traditional & New Chinese. As they call it. I don't know if thats cantonese or Mandarin or both.

If you would like that template for an Avery 8663 sticker I have it. Just let me know. I have it for both the Traditional Chinese and New Chinese.

Yes, please. That would be great! GreyDancingAnim.gif

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Cantonese and Mandarin use the same written characters.

I will PM you with my email address.

GreySquint.gif

Thank You, Your one of the few moderators that has done the right thing, with an decent explanation that is easy to undertand.

For myself & my husband I say thank you.

WNT

Responding to your comment in the locked thread...

This forum does it's best not to maintain ongoing duplicate ongoing threads. It keeps the conversation on track and avoids users having to post essentially identical comments between two threads. For clarity, the duplicate threads are disabled and a pointer is placed to the original thread.

Yes, rudeness is an ongoing issue in all forums. When it gets out of hand, the Moderators try to tone it down either by locking someone out, locking the thread, or with a warning. They do their best but the independent nature of geocaching tends to draw independent types that march to their own drummer. Clashes are inevitable, unfortunately.

In general, the regulars here are a good group of people who really do try to help each other out. It can be hard for someone new to adapt to the culture of this board and its easy to make a misstep. I'm sure your husband will be let back on the board and life will quickly get back to normal with this issue largely forgotten.

So...what about the idea of a smaller sticker that could be applied to the official gc.com sticker? Same color back-ground in the language of choice.

Not a bad idea. Or, a sticker that can just be placed next to it and not on it.

Seems like something 'geo-stuff' vendors would jump on.

Thank You, Your one of the few moderators that has done the right thing, with an decent explanation that is easy to undertand.

For myself & my husband I say thank you.

WNT

Responding to your comment in the locked thread...

This forum does it's best not to maintain ongoing duplicate ongoing threads. It keeps the conversation on track and avoids users having to post essentially identical comments between two threads. For clarity, the duplicate threads are disabled and a pointer is placed to the original thread.

Yes, rudeness is an ongoing issue in all forums. When it gets out of hand, the Moderators try to tone it down either by locking someone out, locking the thread, or with a warning. They do their best but the independent nature of geocaching tends to draw independent types that march to their own drummer. Clashes are inevitable, unfortunately.

In general, the regulars here are a good group of people who really do try to help each other out. It can be hard for someone new to adapt to the culture of this board and its easy to make a misstep. I'm sure your husband will be let back on the board and life will quickly get back to normal with this issue largely forgotten.

I do apreciate what you have to say as well as the time & effort you took in making this reply. But in all honesty it is very off topic of this thread my husband started here about geocaching stickers/labels etc... If you would like to continue this conversation further. You are free to email me through my geocaching.com profile. Otherwise, I would like to drop this matter in this thread, out of respect for my husband as well as maintaining the topic matter that this thread is about. Geocaching.com multi-lingual stickers/labels.

To others who might be tempted to respond to my reply post to his post, or even to his post. I respectfully ask that you don't do so in this thread. If you wish to discuss this mater, then please email me through my geocaching.com profile.

Thank you

WNT

Edited by WildNTexas

Sorry no Hindi. I do have Arabic, & Hebrew as well.

The translations are the following phrases.

"Official Geocache", "Do Not Remove", "Not Trash", "Owner"

TGC

TGC, unless you're hiding caches on the east side of the metroplex (Richardson, et al.) you shouldn't need the Hindi.

I don't know if he will be or not.

However, There is a big middle eastern population that speaks alot of hindi around the Old Denton Road, Trinity Mills area of Carrollton Texas as well. Although they are speak fluent english as well, so I am not for sure if their is a need for Hindi stickers even in that area.

WNT