Another geocoin prison!

desert georangers

My Caching with Kids geocoin, TBYMB4, that has traveled over 11,000 miles is stuck in Port Moody Coin Swap, GC10JP1. The CO listed a requirement that the cache always has at least one geocoin in it; if there's only one geocoin in it, you need to replace it with another. I entered a needs maintenance note asking the CO to change description and remove this requirement. Other cachers have since found the cache and stated that they didn't pick it up since they didn't have one to replace it. I never heard back from the CO. I've listed my geocoin on TB-Rescue in hopes that it will get picked up. I'd enter a needs archived note, but I don't want my coin stuck in an archived cache either. Frustrating! Any thoughts or ideas?

I thought GC did away with requirement type caches such as these?

Keep in mind that once a cache is published there's no way for a reviewer to see changes made to the cache page.

You can also post a friendly note on the cache page letting finders know that it's OK to grab your coin without a trade.

Going the other route (NA log) could upset the CO and have them act out against your coin - it happens.

Such caches need to be addressed at the local level. Don't post a needs archived or a needs maintenance. Just start by stating that your coin is not restricted from being picked up, anyone can move it whether they trade or not. If you really feel something needs to be done, contact the reviewer in that area and have them review the cache listing.

Sorry you feel your coin is stuck. I actually thought the cache page seemed pretty nice, and it seems to get a good amount of traffic. Its only been there a couple weeks, so it still may likely move again soon.

Consider that with or without the swap restriction, it is likely that a coin could sit in any less frequently found cache for months, I think it will be okay.

I really don't think you can place that kind of requirement on a cache. And as far as I am concerned the TB mission supersedes any cache criteria. I run a coin and TB hotel and I don't care about anything other than if you take something then log it. I don't see any reason why you can't have someone stop by, pick up the coin and have them move it on, it's your coin. Just my two cents.

Groundspeak has stated that caches cannot have special logging requirement with the exception of Mystery/Puzzle caches. I do not see having people trade 1 in 1 out for trackables is a logging requirement, it is just a CO hoping he won't have to keep finding trackables to add to the cache.

I would post a note stating that as the owner of the coin you give permission for it to be moved without having to trade out. The CO may delete your log, then you may write to him and ask him nicely to move your coin from his cache.

I think you need to calm down. Less than three weeks your coin has spent in that cache. It's way more than likely that your coin is going to spend at least that much time in the pocket of the next person that picks it up.

Aside from that, the cache in question, at the moment, is most certainly NOT a geocoin prison, as it clearly states that when two coins are present, take whatever you want. Seems like a nice little loophole to me.

I just can't see getting all worked up about folks that want to have caches with coins in them. These things spend so much time in everything but caches, it'd be nice to have a place to trade them out with some sort of regularity or frequency. I've never had a problem with a one for one request, and I don't much care about what the guidelines say. Flame away.

Trackables are not trade items or swag. They are a gamepiece meant to travel, not to sit hostage. There is no need to trade one for one in a cache. There should be no restrictions placed on them, they do not belong to the cache owner.

That being said, three weeks is nothing in Trackable time. I hope someone retrieves it soon. Blue Deuce has given very good advice.

My Caching with Kids geocoin, TBYMB4, that has traveled over 11,000 miles is stuck in Port Moody Coin Swap, GC10JP1. The CO listed a requirement that the cache always has at least one geocoin in it; if there's only one geocoin in it, you need to replace it with another. I entered a needs maintenance note asking the CO to change description and remove this requirement. Other cachers have since found the cache and stated that they didn't pick it up since they didn't have one to replace it. I never heard back from the CO. I've listed my geocoin on TB-Rescue in hopes that it will get picked up. I'd enter a needs archived note, but I don't want my coin stuck in an archived cache either. Frustrating! Any thoughts or ideas?

Patience would be my first idea. Things sit normally for a while.

Second idea would be for to do a search on local caches nearest that one, then see who has found those recently who looks like a very active cacher local to the area. Email them and ask them to stop over to the cache in question and grab your coin and get it moving again. Most people are nice and would do something like that for you.

For every one that is saying calm down, it’s not that long, did you read the logs. It is trapped in a prison. The log shows that someone would have picked up the coin, but did not, because they had nothing to trade.

A Prison is a prison and should be called out as one!

Three weeks IS a relatively short time...except that the geocoin has already been passed up for an opportunity to move because someone (mistakenly) thought that the trade restriction was valid. I'd also recommend posting a note - both on the cache page, and on the coin page - saying that anyone who's willing & able to move the coin is asked to please do so regardless of the (invalid) trade restriction. Good luck!