placing geocaches in a design on maps

Agent Okie

Hi All! I'm not a major poster, but I do enjoy caching! While searching a mapped out area on a recent road trip I came across a design made by placing caches in a certain pattern. I found a pattern that resembled a sheriff's badge, another that was a happy face, and several others. I don't think there are any such patterns in my local area. How would I go about designing such a pattern? Is there a way to search for patterns on Google Earth? I think making a pattern would be challenging for me and would enjoy the process. If you have made such a pattern, lets see it! Any helpful ideas would be appreciated. Thank you! :)

There is a similar thread running on this topic. However, here is one for you.

Northeast of Redding, Calif. Happy Crater GC1YYKM

Awesome! This is exactly what I'm talking about! I appreciate you sharing this one because the one I saw was a whole lot more complicated. I could do something like this with 8-10 caches pretty easily. The problem will be finding a location that has 6000 feet across available. Hmmm...*brain wheel turning*...

Any more locations out there?

Btw, I apologize to the other thread. I did an extensive search and couldn't find any reference to the topic. How about a link to the other thread as well? I bet they have already made a few for me to study.

Thanks!

I'd just find an area of woods with no caches and pull up the satellite image. Get the Google map tool that shows the coordinates of your cursor as you move it over the map, and use it to design your pattern. Head our to the woods and hide them at those coords.. or close enough that the pattern is still recognizable at a scale of 1:500 or so. I'd put them all a bit under .2 miles apart so other caches don't get placed in the area and mess up your pattern. Used to be a big dipper set around here.. not sure if it is still active or not.

The Heartburn Series north of Palm Springs CA is spread out mostly on a square mile with the arrow extending a little father out.

Salt Shaker - Heartburn Series by KNOCK

The Heart itself are all traditional caches and the arrow is seven mystery caches that are solved with numbers from inside the traditionals. The seven final locations also create a mini pattern.

7af96e7d-7803-43c8-9d67-9361fcfd12e8.jpg

Edited by Peter and Gloria