How long until a FTF?

Delons

In some parts of America, most FTFs aren't available for more than 30-60 minutes. In the area of the UK in which I live, FTF is usually gone within 12-24 hours. In remote parts of the world, caches can go months or even years before being found. It all depends.

So long as the coordinates are accurate, and they're not diabolical hides, it shouldn't be too long.

my first hide was a puzzle. not a diabolical one, but a puzzle nonetheless. it went a couple weeks before being found.

I just published a couple earthcaches. they are both a good bit harder. one involves challenging terrain and the other is more difficult for the questions you have to answer. they were found after just a couple of days...incidentally by the same two cachers that found my puzzle almost a year ago. my area does not have a lot of FTF hounds.

When I lived in FL there were many of us FTF hounds in my neighborhood so it was usually minutes or under an an hour. In my new town there haven't been many new caches placed, but we were beat to one today by a local. Then as we were sitting there talking to him a third cacher came by. All of us were there within minutes of the cache being posted! Fun!

Never underestimate the power of the drive to be FTF.

I published a puzzle cache on May 29. After solving one fairly difficult puzzle, you have to go to the location revealed by that puzzle and record a radio transmission. Then you decrypt the contents of the radio transmission to get the final location.

I expected the FTF would take a while. I pictured myself adding a note to the cache page each week until someone found it. Imagine how astonished I was that it was found TWICE within 24 hours of being published! It hasn't been found since then, though.

If the cache involves a hike of some distance then you might see a week before anyone get to it - especially if a drive and a hike are involved. Those are the best ones anyway. There are speed demons out there that are just waiting for notifications and thrive on FTF. Usually the same few cachers will pop up in your area. Winter discourages alot of cachers - but nice days brings them out!

My most recent cache was found in 1 hour and muggled within 3 hours. Apparently a cache in that spot a few years ago had trouble right away also. This is what I get for having a series of caches near Skate parks.

In my city FTF is almost always less than 20 minutes, including the surrounding countryside. I've been beaten by 5-7 minute FTFs a number of times (I think I was there 12 minutes after publish in both cases) and also found a few within a mile of home within that kind of time.

I've only hidden two so far and teh FTF's came in within an hour of being published. Interesting note, the people who logged the FTF's were names I immediately recognised from logs of caches I had previously found, or were cache owners of ones that I had found. It was like I was returning the favor. Being the hider instead of the seeker is kind of fun.

:P"Back In The Day" (01 - 03) a new cache would get posted, we'd look @ it, study it, think about it.......... perhaps in 3 - 5 days we'd head out to capture a FTF, and make sure the cache had not spoiled! In todays world, if your not out and going with in a hour of posting you'll be out of luck. Even here in the Desert Southwest (Migrating Snow-Birds) + a few local FTF Hounds........ "It's Only A Game" :blink:

I've only hidden two so far and teh FTF's came in within an hour of being published.

On the other hand, if you select almost any country in Africa, with the exception of South Africa, you'll find at least one cache that has not yet been found. In some cases, there are more caches there are more caches that have never been found then there are that have been found. In some countries, there are no caches at all.