FTF Hourders

zapfrog

Do have to try to be insulting or is it something that just comes naturally?

Frankly, I find responses like "you have to up your game" and "if you can't take the heat stay out of the fire" to be insulting, as if those that don't have as many FTFs as some have some sort of deficiency when it comes to being the first to sign a logbook. Just the use of the term "wannabe" is insulting as it implies that someone is incapable, either physically or mentally capable, of achieving a goal.

I can come up with a variety explanations when someone might not get a lot (or any) FTFs, none of which have anything related ones ability to find geocaches.

i'm right on the same page with you...

First, Assume GeoCacherA lives in an area that averages 30 new geocaches a day, and has been geocaching for 7 years. GeoCacherB lives in an area with an average of 2-3 (or less) new caches a day and has only been geocaching a couple of years. GeoCacherB FTFs numbers would pale in comparison to GeoCacherA's number simply due to the availability of caches and the time each has spent playing the game.

CacherB would not have the "race" aspect to deal with at all really. there might be the occasional race, but since there isn't "30 new geocaches a day", there aren't that many geocachers period. i don't know that they (those defending agressive FTF behavior) were going down this path.

Secondly, it boils down to a matter of priorities.

....and there is the rub.

there should be no complaining from those who have made it a priority to have a life outside of geocaching about someone neck deep in email notifications.

Frankly, I find responses like "you have to up your game" and "if you can't take the heat stay out of the fire" to be insulting, as if those that don't have as many FTFs as some have some sort of deficiency when it comes to being the first to sign a logbook. Just the use of the term "wannabe" is insulting as it implies that someone is incapable, either physically or mentally capable, of achieving a goal.

I can come up with a variety explanations when someone might not get a lot (or any) FTFs, none of which have anything related ones ability to find geocaches.

<snipped for brevity>

Secondly, it boils down to a matter of priorities. Just how important is it to be the first to sign the log?

<more snippage>

No need to be insulted. And you are right about the matter of priorities.

But the thread started with someone who, it appears, doesn't place a high priority on being FTF. And yet he or she wants others, who do place a high priority, to change the way they place the game so that he or she can get more FTF's.

The "up your game" and "wannabe" responses that you found insulting were simply making the point that one can choose to play the side game of FTF, or not. But it's unreasonable to expect that those who do choose to play will change the nature of the game to accommodate someone who seems to value a FTF, but doesn't value it enough to put in the level of effort that it takes to actually GET a FTF.

Do have to try to be insulting or is it something that just comes naturally?

Frankly, I find responses like "you have to up your game" and "if you can't take the heat stay out of the fire" to be insulting, as if those that don't have as many FTFs as some have some sort of deficiency when it comes to being the first to sign a logbook. ...

Since you quoted me, I feel the need to address your conserns. It is not an insult. Not haveing FTF is not a deficiency (I only have 5 in 1.5 years). The issue is

If you want FTFs, you have to "up your game"; if you don't like the way the FTF game is played "stay out of the fire". If you don't care about FTFs, then great. It is good to see you are having fun playing the geocaching game the way you like.

I actually have no problem with others that don't care about the FTF game, not at all but when they start pointing fingers, and telling people that they should play the game how they think it should be played THAT'S the part I have a problem with. Funny thing is in most cases it seems to be Newbies that post this kinda stuff.

Scubasonic

It wasn't a matter of taking anything away from "the game" but for the reasons I mentioned.

@t4e And yes there are people that will get up at ungodly hours just to clean house even it means getting only two hours of sleep and then rolling into work. There is someone in our area that does this on a regular basis.

And yes this cacher cleans out entire areas before anyone gets to them. Don't even get me started on fairness, there is a reason sports have salary caps :(

Hey Zapfrog I guess I'm one of those Clean house FTF Hounds :D , the FTF hunt is my game, but if "You can't take the heat stay outta the fire" If the FTF thing bothers you that much then I would say don't play that part of the game, leave it to us hoarders. :ph34r:

Scubasonic

Say, I was wondering, what's the difference between a FTF Hoarder and a FTF Hoarder Wannabe anyway? Besides the obvious I mean.

One has Motavation, Drive, and determination and the wannabe does not........... :)

Scubasonic

Really?! That was just rude and uncalled for. You don't know who I am or what I do so to say I lack motivation, drive and determination downright insulting. How does working full time with owning two businesses sound for drive, motivation and determination? Now I see the mentality of the people on here. Disregard that I only put forth some scenarios and asked for people opinions and somehow read into it that I was asking for pity and for people to wait for me.

It wasn't a matter of taking anything away from "the game" but for the reasons I mentioned.

@t4e And yes there are people that will get up at ungodly hours just to clean house even it means getting only two hours of sleep and then rolling into work. There is someone in our area that does this on a regular basis.

And yes this cacher cleans out entire areas before anyone gets to them. Don't even get me started on fairness, there is a reason sports have salary caps :(

Hey Zapfrog I guess I'm one of those Clean house FTF Hounds :D , the FTF hunt is my game, but if "You can't take the heat stay outta the fire" If the FTF thing bothers you that much then I would say don't play that part of the game, leave it to us hoarders. :ph34r:

Scubasonic

Say, I was wondering, what's the difference between a FTF Hoarder and a FTF Hoarder Wannabe anyway? Besides the obvious I mean.

One has Motavation, Drive, and determination and the wannabe does not........... :)

Scubasonic

Really?! That was just rude and uncalled for. You don't know who I am or what I do so to say I lack motivation, drive and determination downright insulting. How does working full time with owning two businesses sound for drive, motivation and determination? Now I see the mentality of the people on here. Disregard that I only put forth some scenarios and asked for people opinions and somehow read into it that I was asking for pity and for people to wait for me.

I take it you consider yourself an "FTF hoarder wannabe"?

Easy now, this doesn't need to devolve. I wouldn't have suggested that you don't have motivation or drive; I can understand why that upset you.

But you should be fair and also realize what you're saying here... Early in the thread you suggested that people should leave a few FTFs for other people, and that it was an issue of "being considerate". It comes across like you're suggesting that people wait for you (or for others?), and also that people who don't are inconsiderate. If that's not what you're intending to communicate, I can understand, but I'm gently suggesting that that's how I read it.

i find this to be a good place to say the following.

I FOUND MY FIRST F2F TODAY !!! yay me

and in the spirit of this thread i also got my second F2F this morning and i gladly rushed to both at 7 AM this morning and signed both logs. I was late to the office and had my whole staff waiting outside till i got there to let them in the building. not only did i take both F2F's but i did it with a smile on my face the whole time.

that is all

Edited by Ampresearch

Its not a matter of holding back but rather being considerate of fellow cachers.

Before you get your panties in a Wad read above what you wrote earlier implying that people that don't leave some FTFs for others are "inconsiderate" it seems like in more then one case it is always the ones that start the insults, are the very same ones that get offended right away when someone throws some back but when they are pointed out oh boy they are ready to get on their high horse.

By the way I got 7 FTFs last night and I didn't share or leave any, for anyone else. :D it's a rotten job but someones gotta do it. :ph34r:

Scubasonic

i find this to be a good place to say the following.

I FOUND MY FIRST F2F TODAY !!! yay me

and in the spirit of this thread i also got my second F2F this morning and i gladly rushed to both at 7 AM this morning and signed both logs. I was late to the office and had my whole staff waiting outside till i got there to let them in the building. not only did i take both F2F's but i did it with a smile on my face the whole time.

that is all

Good job on your 2 FTFs feels good don't it. :ph34r:

Scubasonic

There are a couple FTF hounds in my area. I used to find it a little annoying but realized I was just jealous.

It made my measly two FTFs all that more sweet though. They were FTF on my second cache, a mystery.

They get in contact with each other and go out together, sometimes bringing other local cachers along. They also always write good long log entries describing their race. Way better than a log entry that reads "FTF...TFTC"

Both of my FTFs were just good timing. One I got a notification on my Berry in the morning before going to work, and it was an urban cache a short ways off my normal route. The other was a multistage in a park next to my office (though it was a weekend). I just had to own that one so I rushed out for it. Met the CO who came to watch me look. Turns out he had gotten the FTF on my first cache (a guardrail a few blocks away).

I also have a proud FTf, First to Fail on another cache near work. I found it and could see it clearly, but still have not been able to get it (takes some climbing).

If you are able and willing to get up and go at a moments notice, more power to you.

Scubasonic

Scubasonic

Dude seriously stop crying about it. Sounds like you're to busy to grab a FTF and its not a priority for you. There are probably others that are retired and go out and grab them because they have nothing better to do. You clearly have better things to do, which is why you can't grab a FTF. You said you don't want people to wait for you but that's exactly what you want. I'm sorry people don't agree with you and you're mad about it, but if you want to FTF you're going to need to drop what you're doing and go.

Actually I'm only mad about the rude people. There are more than enough constructive opinions on here that were actually well thought out and I see where people are coming from. The few people who weren't constructive and just wanted to be rude, well I'll just ignore them.

When I start to place some of my own caches, I plan to add 2 lines:

LOCAL FTF (residents within Florida Panhandle)

NON-Local FTF (residents outside of the FL panhandle)

I will do this because I have heard of a few people that do travel hundreds of miles looking for a FTF.

Some people do not have what many of us would call a life. They may be retired, self employed, work their own hours, whatever, if geocaching keeps them busy, their mind sharp and out of trouble then good for them. Let them log as many FTF as they want. They have the time and money for premium memberships, $300 handheld GPS units and so on. Thats fine, my money goes towards mortgage, car payment, wife and 2 daughters, geocaching is just something to do when I have the time.

I do it when I have free time, sometimes with my 8 year old daughter. I am not worried (in geocaching or real life) about special statuses. Although an occasional FTF would be nice, I will not go out of my way to make sure I get them.

I understand where you are coming from... because I work a lot myself and don't get to go caching as often as I would like, I think I've only gotten about 20 FTFs in almost 5 years of caching. Once in a while I have time to try.

Like I said earlier, just don't let others spoil your fun! Don't take it personally. Read the posts where folks mentioned priorities. You and the FTF hoarders have different priorities, and that's okay. I don't think that scubasonic meant to personally hurt your feelings.

Some people do not have what many of us would call a life. They may be retired, self employed, work their own hours, whatever, if geocaching keeps them busy, their mind sharp and out of trouble then good for them. Let them log as many FTF as they want. They have the time and money for premium memberships, $300 handheld GPS units and so on. Thats fine, my money goes towards mortgage, car payment, wife and 2 daughters, geocaching is just something to do when I have the time.

This is an incredibly insensitive, not well-thought-out, mean spirited, insulting post. It makes you sound envious and mad at people not exactly at your stage in life. Just because people don't live your particular lifestyle, or are old, doesn't mean they don't have a "life." Retired people have a life. Self employed people have a life. People with more money than you have a life. It is not a bad thing to have a paid off mortgage or paid off vehicle. The fact that you have a wife and two kids doesn't make you superior. Older people have already done all that. It could well be that geocaching is something they do in their spare time, as well. Why all the resentment?

Retired people don't need geocaching to "keep them busy, their mind sharp and out of trouble". Seems to us YOUR mind wouldn't suffer from a little sharpening.

Yep another example of if you don't do it the way I do or the way I think you should then

You don't have a life" good grief I don't know how many times I read these narrow-minded posts.

BTW I got 9 FTFs this morning.......GO ME !!! and I didn't leave any FTFs unfound. :blink: for someone else

Scubasonic

Dude, I have all that stuff and more. If you want a FTF, you can. Quite finding problems and start looking for solutions. Those things you meantioned may prevent you from finding 8 in 1 day and 100 in a year etc., it can not stop you from finding some. If you want tips, start a thread asking, or look up some of the multitude of threads that already exist.s

Edited for spelling

Edited by Andronicus

Bottom line is when the notification comes out everyone gets it at about the same time, therefor everyone has the same opportunity to go after them some do and some don't that is totally up to the individual, and their situation. If you don't or can't that is your problem.

Scubasonic

Exactly

I usualy can't, but sometimes I can. When I can, I don't always get the FTF, but sometimes I do.

If you can only make the hunt once a week, then, depending on FTF hounds in your area, you will bag a FTF every 2-8 weeks (these stats are made up, but I suspect are correct).

It will come, if you really want that FTF. I only have 2 in 777 finds, but was lucky. One new cache was published 5 minutes from home on my day off, the other 2 days before we made a trek along some back logging roads to visit Lake Nitinat. We didn't think we'd get that, it was just a bonus. Only windsurfers and kiteboarders and locals use that route - it is way out in the boonies.

Caching friends have got FTF's in their PJs and robes, and some go together in a group. Have to say, sleep is a priority for me over any FTF! Maybe it is because I don't really care if I am first or twenty-first?

Don't sweat the FTF issue - every time you find a cache, that is a first for you.

It will come, if you really want that FTF. I only have 2 in 777 finds, but was lucky. One new cache was published 5 minutes from home on my day off, the other 2 days before we made a trek along some back logging roads to visit Lake Nitinat. We didn't think we'd get that, it was just a bonus. Only windsurfers and kiteboarders and locals use that route - it is way out in the boonies.

Caching friends have got FTF's in their PJs and robes, and some go together in a group. Have to say, sleep is a priority for me over any FTF! Maybe it is because I don't really care if I am first or twenty-first?

Don't sweat the FTF issue - every time you find a cache, that is a first for you.

You have to want them bad enough to beat out the competition. Just takes a bit of strategizing.

Scubasonic

We are a geofamily of three (including our three year old son) who have MANY FTFs and LOVE them. We go out of our way to get them sometimes but feel it is well worth the trouble! Not just for the competition but to have the pleasure of finding the cache EXACTLY like the owner intended. The odd prize doesn't hurt either :D A nice, clean, well hidden, well stocked cache is the ULTIMATE find for us :laughing:

:D

This was the most entertaining thread I've read in a long time. In 7 years of caching and over 2000 finds, I have exactly 2 FTFs. The first one was just luck. For the second one, I got the email on my phone and it was for a cache that happened to be in the very same park I was in at that moment. We have lots of FTF hounds around here, which can be fun as a hider. Usually an FTF is made within an hour or two of being published. The longest I've been able to hold them off was 3 whole days, and in that case, I hid it a mile into the woods, with 1/2 a mile of pricker bush and swamp between the cache and the nearest trail. I hid it at the base of a bush, I released it during the "Snowmageddon" blizzard of 2010. The FTF log on that one was great.

I don't begrudge anyone for getting lots of FTFs, it's part of the game. Yes, I am jealous of the FTF hounds. I'm counting down the days until I can retire and just geocache all day. I'll be counting for awhile because I'm something like 30 years away from that day.

Granted, the two FTFs were satisfying...but not as satisfying as discovering an amazing place, some lost history, or a beautiful view, which caching seems to do over and over. If the FTF hounds bother you, you might be playing this game for the wrong reason!

Edited by ZeLonewolf

There are a couple FTF hounds in my area. I used to find it a little annoying but realized I was just jealous.

It made my measly two FTFs all that more sweet though. They were FTF on my second cache, a mystery.

They get in contact with each other and go out together, sometimes bringing other local cachers along. They also always write good long log entries describing their race. Way better than a log entry that reads "FTF...TFTC"

I beat them to one today!

There is a power trail along a "rails to trails" path from Valley Forge to Philadelphia (about 20 miles). The local CO's and reviewers have been releasing the caches a few at a time over the last few weeks (although I suspect they are all in place already). By them releasing random ones at random places along the trail at random times, they are keeping the trail fresh with cachers. The local hounds have made several passes along the 20 mile trail to grab FTFs, so they are certainly getting their excercise and deserve every one they get.

Today I took to the trail and met some other cachers and we rode together. We made one FTF which the other guys must have missed by accident.

I wish those guys well on their hunts. I now find myself putting new cached on watchlist just to see how fast they get out to find them.

First: I never said inconsiderate because of getting large numbers overall I said it was inconsiderate for someone to tag an entire area say if there ten new caches in one park.

Second: all this was was supposed to be a gathering of opinions and seeing what everybodies thoughts were.

Third: I'm really a nice guy so I'm not going to get into any pissing matches

@scuba Hey you have some nice pics from some cool caches. Your geo ride makes me jealous. I had an Element and it was by far my favorite car of all time but I had to get rid of it for financial reasons. Someday I'll get another one.

zapfrog-"...I said it was inconsiderate for someone to tag an entire area say if there ten new caches in one park.

Second: all this was was supposed to be a gathering of opinions and seeing what everybodies thoughts were."

My opinion is if there are ten new caches in one park and I go to find them, adhering to all the Geocaching guidelines, I'm not being the least bit "inconsiderate" if I happen to be FTF on all of them. To expect me to make several trips to one park because others don't see it to be important to get out and actually try to get an FTF is actually a little beyond inconsiderate.

What are people's opinion on this?

The people that wake up at ungodly hours just to clean house on FTF's, whole parks, strings, etc. It would be cool if it was one or two and left some for others. After all aren't we here to make it fun, help each other out, enjoy each others company?

My other thought is what about the families that want to bring their kids out for FTF's? I don't think the kid is going to wake up at 3am, so the people that plow through FTF's leave nothing for these families.

this game is played on "first come first served" basis

i highly doubt anyone wakes up at "ungodly hours" for the sole purpose of clearing out the FTF

we have a couple of people here that get FTF at "ungodly hours" when they work the night shift

Most every cache in DFW is published between 8 and 10 PM, so it's open for most everybody. Not too early. Not too late. I'm a FTF hound and every cacher I've ever met on the trail was becuase they are also FTF hounds. We have alot of fun trying to get there first and many times even share the FTF because we all arrive at the same time.

I beat them to one today!

There is a power trail along a "rails to trails" path from Valley Forge to Philadelphia . . .

Today I took to the trail and met some other cachers and we rode together. We made one FTF which the other guys must have missed by accident.

I wish those guys well on their hunts. I now find myself putting new cached on watchlist just to see how fast they get out to find them.

John,

I know of whom you speak, being from the NW Philly area. . .I also get new cache alerts just to see how quickly they log them. I figure, one day I'll get my first FTF, but for now, it's just a good time no matter how I find them. Heck, I was overjoyed to be the TTF (third to find) on a new cache. :D

Unfortunately, I've never met other cachers while in the field. . .maybe I'll get out to the SRT, as that seems a good place to meet fellow cachers these days, besides a geo-event.

Like caching itself, it's not about the race. It's about the experience. Those who hog all the FTFs are denying others that experience. In my opinion, their attempt to turn an experience (and a fact) into a race has not been a good thing for geocaching as a whole. Pretty churlish.

But even if I were to agree with your point of view about allowing everyone to have a turn, how on earth would you organise such a system?

Why does considerate behavior require a "system?" Why does the observation that FTF hounds are hurting the game imply the need for more rules? We already have too many rules. A social norm that acknowledges that hogging FTFs is rude would be far more effective.

Was Lance Armstrong "rude" for "hogging" all those Tours de France?

My opinion? Think "buffet line." No rules necessary for polite company.

I'm thinking buffet line (do they have any of those mini vol-au-vents, I love those) and I'm seeing people standing in a queue.

I can see who is interested in getting food.

I can see where my place in the queue is.

I will be able to see when everyone else has had their food and the queue has died down so I can go and get seconds.

Your comparison falls down on the use of the word 'company'. Which suggests a gathering of people.

But none of us really know each other, and in some cases we don't know of each other. There is no queue, no line, no visible statement or indication of who one is supposed to be being polite towards.

That's why I'm struggling to understand how on earth I am supposed to know whether I am being rude or impolite to someone who without my knowledge is sitting in their house wanting to go out and get a FTF.

The only way I can see to overcome that uncertainty and be sure I'm not upsetting anyone is for me to stop going out for FTF except maybe a couple of times a year (assuming I get a turn). And that means I won't be getting my share of Vol-au-vents. And I like vol-au-vents :D

I curse you for being first at the buffet line and getting all the good cuts of meat. You are a FTF (first to feed) hound.

In our neck of the woods, its pretty easy to get a FTF if you want one. All caches are published between the hours of about 9pm and 12 midnight, and they're usually not found until 7-9am in the morning, or even later if they're out of town a little. If you're determined to get a FTF near where you live you should be able to get it. I myself have had 2 FTFs - one was a puzzle one, it took me 3 days to solve, and I was sure someone else would find it before me, but they didn't!

You are comparing being the first to lift a lamp skirt to winning the Tour De France?

Wow. Just Wow.

:D:laughing::laughing::anicute::grin:

We don't have lamp skirts here in the UK - at least I have never seen one.

While I would not dare to liken finding a cache first to the effort required to ride a bike a very long way very fast over very steep hills, there does seem to be a misconception about FTF's. And maybe that is down to a difference in the percentage of 'park & grab' or 'cache and dash' hides in our different countries. I don't know.

Sure we have a few ehere it's just a case of jumping in the van and driving to within a few yards of the hide. But that's not always the case.

Many of the ones we have done this year have involved a good long walk, sometimes up a tor in the middle of the moors, clambering over rocks and beating a path through bracken. In the half light. Without a bike.

Or the two puzzle caches we got FTF on last month which took a lot of working out - the bonus took us about 6 hours to work out as it involved 4 seperate quite tricky puzzles.

Or the one involving navigating a field of maze and then crossing stiles and footbridges to find a box in a tree stump with heavy tree cover and difficult GPS conditions.

Maybe it's different in different countries, and maybe that's why "FTF Hounds" are seen differently; as folk who sit around at home then when the phone beeps just dash out at top speed and pull up next to a lamp post and log their FTF.

It's just not like that very often in this part of the world. You get the odd cache and dash FTF opportunities, but to be honest they are not the ones that give satisfaction.

I think the point is that if you decide to take part in a 'competition' or set yourself a goal, whatever that goal might be, then you have to give it your best shot, or the satisfaction is just not there. And if half way through you think "that's enough now I'll let somone else win the rest" is exactly the same as someone winning the yellow jersey 3 days running then having a gentle ride so someone else can have it the next day, so everyone has a chance.

The effort required in achieving the goal is not relevant, it's the principle of winning the races you set out to win.

In a previous life, we were a FTF hound and competed with other local hounds to be first to find, and we amassed scores of them. It was a lot of fun.

Nowadays, we have a different deal.

Here's what we do. We'll go hide three caches near each other along the canal or on a causeway etc. But we don't release the second one for publication until the first is found, and the same for the third. That way one person doesn't automatically get FTF on all three. It spreads the chance of being FTF around a bit. But plenty of times the same cacher makes three separate trips out there just to be FTF. We make 'em earn it!

I know that makes them hate us, but that is just the way we are, ornery. :D

I agree with Fizzymagic, comparing sports acomplishments or any other great feat to finding a cache is over the top; there is no comparison. Period.

I can see that point of view, and completely respect it. But then I'm not sure where the angst would come from over who gets to a cache first, in the first place?

I agree with Fizzymagic, comparing sports acomplishments or any other great feat to finding a cache is over the top; there is no comparison. Period.

Maybe that analogy was a little extreme but for the purposes of this thread I'd say it was apt. APT!!! (shakes fist in the air)

Am I inconsiderate for hiding an ammo can in a sweet hollow tree out in the woods thereby denying someone else the opportunity of putting a micro there?

I do it when I have free time, sometimes with my 8 year old daughter. I am not worried (in geocaching or real life) about special statuses. Although an occasional FTF would be nice, I will not go out of my way to make sure I get them.

No life? i guess you're trying to be rude here but i wouldn't want YOUR life! No way is that my style!

So to each their own. i have work, rent, a car payment and a BlackBerry for caching. Oh and a hubbie. But i make time for caching and FTF because it's a hobby that i enjoy. Same as hiking, rafting, yoga, rock climbing, traveling. For someone with "no life" i sure have seen and done a lot! Very pleased.

Peace.

FTF #3 today! Cache 7.2 miles away, published at 5:30AM. Found at 7:30AM! Woot! Happened to be my day off with no errands!

got my 3rd F2F today as well around the same time. was posted at 6:50 and in my hands but 7:20.

i have no doubt that if i waited even 20 more minutes that it would have been found by another. sooooo i had a choice to make. run out a bit early and grab it on the way to work OR wait till after work. if i decided to wait till after work can i get mad at the people that did not?? of course not.