Stealth Mode Tactics

The Punches

As the summer here in the Phoenix area draws to a close, there will be many cachers venturing outside again to take advantage of the beautiful weather for the next nine months. Along with the cache hunters will be muggles. Many, many muggles.

I am curious to know what methods some of you cachers have used when employing "Stealth Mode" while hunting caches in areas where discovery by muggles was a factor. I usually resort to the placing the GPS'r on my ear and talking to myself method, but are there other things that you have found to be useful when searching? Also, if you have stories of of successfully caching around muggles, those would be fun to read as well. Or things you have done to cover up what you're doing if someone happens upon you while you're zeroing in on the CZ?

Edited by The Punches

Reflective construction vest is always handy! I heard some folks even carry a clipboard with them as well to add to the effect.

I often use tying my shoes or pretending to talk on my phone. "Picking" at stuff On a bush/tree/bench/post non-chalantly while "deep in coversation" on a phone doesn't usually draw too much attention.

I don't do stealth. I just walk up and grab it. Like GOF, I've gotten caches off benches when people are on them, but the people were awake. I don't think I'd do it if they were sleeping. I'm not sure how it would look if someone saw you reaching around the person. They might think you were trying to steal something from them.

We did one a few weeks ago in a gazebo where a man was enjoying a morning cup of coffee and his paper. We went into the gazebo and said that we were doing a scavenger hunt, and the item we were looking for was there.

We grabbed the cache, showed it to him so he knew what it was and told him that we have to sign in as proof that we were there. We then replaced it and told him to have a good day and left. In and out in about 2 minutes.

If someone catches us with a cache, I don't try to hide it. Not once has any cache gone missing where someone has seen us grab it.

Editing to add that each person needs to know their comfort level, and if someone isn't comfortable with others seeing them, they may not want to do what we do and find another method/style more helpful.

Edited by Skippermark

I don't do stealth. I just walk up and grab it. Like GOF, I've gotten caches off benches when people are on them, but the people were awake. I don't think I'd do it if they were sleeping. I'm not sure how it would look if someone saw you reaching around the person. They might think you were trying to steal something from them.

We did one a few weeks ago in a gazebo where a man was enjoying a morning cup of coffee and his paper. We went into the gazebo and said that we were doing a scavenger hunt, and the item we were looking for was there.

We grabbed the cache, showed it to him so he knew what it was and told him that we have to sign in as proof that we were there. We then replaced it and told him to have a good day and left. In and out in about 2 minutes.

If someone catches us with a cache, I don't try to hide it. Not once has any cache gone missing where someone has seen us grab it.

Editing to add that each person needs to know their comfort level, and if someone isn't comfortable with others seeing them, they may not want to do what we do and find another method/style more helpful.

Yeah, that was the one and only time I ever did something like that and a big reason I don't do stealth tactics. Way to hard on the nerves. :blink:

Just be nonchalant. Experienced cachers generally don't try to act stealthy. Nothing will attract attention like that. I know of exactly one cacher that carries an orange vest, but I've never known him to actually use it. Generally people will ignore you if you just act like its OK to do what you're doing.

I used to wear a construction orange t-shirt while caching. Of course that was when I was wearing it for work. Didn't make me any less conspicuous while caching.

Just be nonchalant. Experienced cachers generally don't try to act stealthy. Nothing will attract attention like that. I know of exactly one cacher that carries an orange vest, but I've never known him to actually use it. Generally people will ignore you if you just act like its OK to do what you're doing.

I used to wear a construction orange t-shirt while caching. Of course that was when I was wearing it for work. Didn't make me any less conspicuous while caching.

Well, you are the exception: you would stand out like a yellow tennis ball in a sea of blue ones.

Well, depends on the area. In New York City, no one ever sees a thing! (Well, except the shopkeeper next door...) Best one was outside a popular restaurant. Lady leaning against the sign the cache was under. Plopped my backpack against the sign (about six inches from her feet). Tied my shoelaces. Grabbed cache. Came back five minutes later. Lady still leaning aginst sign. Plopped the backpack down again ,and rummage through it. Replaced cache. Neither she nor her husband noticed!

Suburbia can be a big difference. There, everbody notices everything.

Well, you are the exception: you would stand out like a yellow tennis ball in a sea of blue ones.

I'm a little fuzzy on what you are talking about.

The one I had the most fun with was located right next to someones camp. As I drove up I spotted the cache under a pile of rocks, so I got out of the car with my rock hammer, walked around picking up rocks hitting them with the hammer taking a few back to the car until the folks in the camp stopped paying attention to me. :blink: I then went and graped the cache, it was an ammo can, went back to the car, traded and signed the log then took the cache back, picking up and dropping rocks as I went. After a few more minutes I got in the car and left.

It worked as the cache was still there for a few more weeks :D then it was muggled. :)

I'm thinkin the next cache in a busy area i go after, I'll get out of the car wearing a cloth diaper and start doing cartwheels (at over 300lbs and pretty hairy that should be amusing) while my buddy finds the cache. It's all about the diversion! :blink:

Actually something like that happened to me and my family and geocaching friend a few months ago. Finding a cache out in the middle of nowhere on a guardrail, all of a sudden we could hear cars coming around the bend. Thinking it would look out of place that there were people people hanging around a guardrail for no reason whatsoever, I ran up the street a bit with my friend and we started (very poorly) dancing like a robot. I figured no one would think twice about turning around to see what these dancing freaks were doing along the road then. 4 cars drove by, not a single one stopped. Although my little brother admitted he hadnt been that embarsed by me before.

Edited by kyle98632

Like others here, I do not do stealth. I get the sense that "stealth required" in some cases is a euphemism for "I don't have permission to hide here", and if a confrontation results with the property owner were to result, I would rather not be acting sneaky when I'm seen searching for the cache.

Thankfully, this has not actually happened to me yet.

I'm not sure what I'd do in town. I don't cache there much since Cape Breton has a lot to offer in the way of forest caches. When I come across a muggle on a trail, I use the bird watcher cover. I just pull out a bird field book. It could also work for ground vegetation, mushrooms, trees, tree diseases, and insects.

If I'm in a scenic area, I use the photography cover. Sometimes I may have to crouch to get the angle I want :blink:

Like others here, I do not do stealth. I get the sense that "stealth required" in some cases is a euphemism for "I don't have permission to hide here", and if a confrontation results with the property owner were to result, I would rather not be acting sneaky when I'm seen searching for the cache.

For me stealth required is so the cache does not get muggled. If you hide one with or without permission that is hidden in plain sight and someone sees you put it back the they themselves may go get it. If they are young punk kids without the money to buy a GPS (or parents willing to buy one) may feel some strange urge to walk off with it or destroy it.

I don't think I have ever felt that the stealth required applied to not being seen by the owner of the property. As a matter of fact I have seen a few that said the owner of the property may see you and watch you since he/she enjoys watching people look for it.

I don't mind if someone does not want to be "sneaky" but if someone walks up to a cache in a high traffic area and pays no attention to those around then I feel they should not even go for that cache and move on before they get the cache stolen. It is unfair to the owner of the cache. Some people enjoy the hidden in plain site caches. My first cache that I found was one and it is stilll one of my favorites. If you feel being sneaky is not fun then move along there is nothing to see here.

I have to say I agree with you on the euphemism. I'm personally not going to lie or do anything to make myself look more deviant than I already do and make the people around me nervous or get any unwanted attention from property owners or security or LEO's that didn't know there was something hidden there. If the cache's camouflage is better than your average key holder stuck to something metal even if I pick it up in front of people when I put it back it should not be easily detectable to Joe Schmo who doesn't know what geocaching is.

I usually avoid stealth. I get a lot less questions from those around me and get stopped a lot less by the police. I'd just walk up, act like I know what I'm doing and (hopefully) make the grab. It's a good time to explain to others the game of geocaching if caught and questioned. I've had the police help me search. I had muggles join in and make the find before I do. After 4000 searches I've never had a bad experience with muggles. This is a fun activity to be shared. I don't know of any cache which went missing after I did a non-stealth search.

I have to say I agree with you on the euphemism. I'm personally not going to lie or do anything to make myself look more deviant than I already do and make the people around me nervous or get any unwanted attention from property owners or security or LEO's that didn't know there was something hidden there. If the cache's camouflage is better than your average key holder stuck to something metal even if I pick it up in front of people when I put it back it should not be easily detectable to Joe Schmo who doesn't know what geocaching is.

Yep.... no need for stealth at all. Just act like you know what you are doing and all is well.

"MARTHA!!!!........ there's people under that tree again! I swear there's drugs or somthun' goin' on!" :blink:

I usually avoid stealth. I get a lot less questions from those around me and get stopped a lot less by the police. I'd just walk up, act like I know what I'm doing and (hopefully) make the grab. It's a good time to explain to others the game of geocaching if caught and questioned. I've had the police help me search. I had muggles join in and make the find before I do. After 4000 searches I've never had a bad experience with muggles. This is a fun activity to be shared. I don't know of any cache which went missing after I did a non-stealth search.

I usually try to gauge the people in the area. Families with young kids I usually invite to help in the search, sometimes even leaving the obvious places for them to find. Older folks I often tell I'm on a kind of treasure hunt, "Have you heard of geocaching?'. Some times I look at those in the area and decide the best course of action is to just walk away. Stealth never enters into it.

I usually avoid trying to be stealthy. I normally leave and come back depending on the situation. I have used some decoys a couple of times. Once I was looking for a nano on a sign post in a public parking lot. So I grabbed my headset for my MP3 player, put them in my ears, held the GPS in my hand with the cord from my headset to make people think I was listening to my music until the coast was clear. Another time I grabbed a clipboard and if someone drove by or was approaching me on foot I pretended to be inspecting the lamp post which held a micro under its skirt.

I keep deely boppers, a variety of Elton John glasses, and a groucho stache/glasses combo in the car. Some combination of this outrageous look is enough to embarrass any onlookers into looking the other way so I can snag the cache. Oh, and I blast the Pink Panther theme song from the car stereo with the windows and sun room open wide too.

There is a micro hidden in a tree at a local Dunkin' Donuts and my husband and I have been racking our brains on how to go get it. We tried once before but the people in the drive thru were looking at us like we were nuts for poking around in a tree in the middle of the parking lot.

PKJ

Just walk up and grab it. They already know it's there from all the others they've watched find it. Or even better, go find a cache that is in a more interesting location.

I keep deely boppers, a variety of Elton John glasses, and a groucho stache/glasses combo in the car. Some combination of this outrageous look is enough to embarrass any onlookers into looking the other way so I can snag the cache. Oh, and I blast the Pink Panther theme song from the car stereo with the windows and sun room open wide too.

Holy crap! Your car has a sun room?!

To me, 'Stealth Mode' means 'don't act suspicious'.

Most of my urban caching is done while driving a logoed work-truck with tool boxes while wearing an obvious work shirt.

I try to avoid teens (especially boys) but if there are adults at the site, I will tell them what I'm doing.

To me, a well-done cache requiring 'Stealth Mode' means I will be able to deduce the cache location easily, and will be able to do the 'walk-by-and-grab' in one smooth motion.

In far too many cases, these 'Stealth Mode' caches are mere 'number-pumping' caches that have little or no value otherwise...IMNSHO.

Does that mean I'm going to be careless and get the cache stolen? No.

Does that mean I'm coming back later under cover of darkness in a black Ninja suit? No.

There is a micro hidden in a tree at a local Dunkin' Donuts and my husband and I have been racking our brains on how to go get it. We tried once before but the people in the drive thru were looking at us like we were nuts for poking around in a tree in the middle of the parking lot.

PKJ

Just walk up and grab it. They already know it's there from all the others they've watched find it. Or even better, go find a cache that is in a more interesting location.

I should. Maybe we will try again. There is a series of them that are at all the Dunkin' Donuts in my town. I like that it is a challenging cache.

We are so new to this that we haven't learns all the tricks to spotting them all yet.

pkj

PKJ

I should. Maybe we will try again. There is a series of them that are at all the Dunkin' Donuts in my town. I like that it is a challenging cache.

We are so new to this that we haven't learns all the tricks to spotting them all yet.

pkj

What challenge? Just walk up to it and grab it.

PKJ

pkj

We looked for it twice before and couldn't find it. So it's challenging. At least I see it that way.

pkj

PKJ

pkj

We looked for it twice before and couldn't find it. So it's challenging. At least I see it that way.

pkj

Sounds to me like the challenge is getting up the gumption to just walk up to it.

We don't do Stealth.

When I find an ammocan I ring that thing like a dinner bell, Hooooo, Come and get it!

You place a cache why in the heck should I have to hide what I'm doing?

Silly cache owners, you'd think they'd have learned by now. <_<

Hmmn? I may not have asked you to use stealth, but I certainly didn't ask you to take out an advertisement in the local paper.

We don't do Stealth.

When I find an ammocan I ring that thing like a dinner bell, Hooooo, Come and get it!

Hmmn? I may not have asked you to use stealth, but I certainly didn't ask you to take out an advertisement in the local paper.

I'm sure you use a reasonable amount of discretion when a making a find.

Like you, I have no problem with passing on retrieving a cache if I think it might it a little - too public.

This whole, 'just act nonchalant' is horse-hockey. You are being stealthy and you darn well know when you should and should not discuss what you are doing.

"I just walk up there and do what I want!" Yeah, well if you are you might want to rethink that.

Otherwise we'd just place caches on the nearest park bench with a red flag stuck to it.

Edited by BlueDeuce

We don't do Stealth.

I'm sure you use a reasonable amount of discretion when a making a find.

Like you, I have no problem with passing on retrieving a cache if I think it might it a little - too public.

This whole, 'just act nonchalant' is horse-hockey. You are being stealthy and you darn well know when you should and should not discuss what you are doing.

"I just walk up there and do what I want!" Yeah, well if you are you might want to rethink that.

Otherwise we'd just place caches on the nearest park bench with a red flag stuck to it.

If I stuck a cache in a tree outside the drive-thru window of an all night coffee shop I don't leave a searcher much choice, now do I? I suspect those good folks in the donut shop are aware of the cache by now even if no permission was obtained.

If I stuck a cache in a tree outside the drive-thru window of an all night coffee shop I don't leave a searcher much choice, now do I? I suspect those good folks in the donut shop are aware of the cache by now even if no permission was obtained.

Crappy locations stink for hiding a cache. Got it.

So if I nonchalantly retrieve the cache I'm not being stealthy.

As apposed to trying to sneak up on the position like secret agent man costumed in an orange vest like a road crew groupie? No. You are not being stealthy. Just smart. So if you want to put it that way, yes, the best stealth is no stealth.

As apposed to trying to sneak up on the position like secret agent man costumed in an orange vest like a road crew groupie? No. You are not being stealthy. Just smart. So if you want to put it that way, yes, the best stealth is no stealth.

I think we should make a reasonable amount of effort to conceal the cache location. That doesn't mean we can't be seen what we are doing, but we do need to consider how much to reveal and how to deal with various situations.

When someone asks the question in the forums I don't like the pat answer. "Oh we don't do stealth, we just go for it." That's not much of an answer. At least not one I agree with really.

I'm thinking secret agent man costumed in an orange vest like a road crew groupie will get noticed. Halloween night might be the best time to try, depending on the location.

Edited by BlueDeuce