Cache Owner Control Of Publishing Time

GEO-BUM

I posted the below in the feedback. What are your thoughts???

If you like it please go to feedback (link below) and vote your opinion.

http://gsfn.us/t/19ivp

Being an avid cache hider, I would like to see the ability of a cache owner to publish his/her hides when they want to. Why can't there be an option, where as the reviewer places the new cache hides in a queue when they have been approved? Then having a feature letting the cache owner publish their hides when they want.

Why?? It would give the cache owner more control of the publishing of their hides and would take a load off the reviewer with all the special publishing requests.

I can see where this could be a good thing ,and a bad thing

Publishing a cache just as your local ftf hound is starting work,

Then another just as he goes to bed for the night etc etc etc

Best left as it is I think, reviewers are pretty accomadating when requested to publish at specific times for events etc

I don't see how it generally matters when the cache is published. On the rare occasion that it does matter, a note to the reviewer should do the trick. Are reviewers overwhelmed with such requests?

edit redundant word

In our area there are a lot of new hides popping up all the time. For me having the control of when I want my hide to publish would be great. Most request are done well with the reviewers but asking them to publish a cache late at night, early in the morning or on a holiday isn't fair to them.

Edited by GEO-BUM

I can see where this could be a good thing ,and a bad thing

Publishing a cache just as your local ftf hound is starting work,

Then another just as he goes to bed for the night etc etc etc

Best left as it is I think, reviewers are pretty accomadating when requested to publish at specific times for events etc

Yes you are right, they are accommodating for sure, but this way it's one less thing to take up there time. They are busy enough with checking out and approving cache hides. Having to be around to publish a new hide at a special request.....well one less thing they would have to do.

We need to control those FTF hogs. ;) I would love to push them over the edge a bit by placing a dozen caches and publish only one per time when they get home and log their FTF! A good way to waste their gas!!

no, you would be wasting reviewers time

and tbh those that hate the FTF hounds and try to go out of their way and to bend over backwards just to get to them somehow it shows nothing more than a childish attitude :o

live and let live, its not like they are affecting your enjoy of geocaching in any way

Can you expound on the whys? What is the advantage?

OK...first off it would only be an option. If you chose not to do it yourself leave it as it is. If you chose to do it yourself then you could. Now why??? First off it's the "FTF" issue (may not be important to most). I could have the caches published at different times through out the day (or night) when I want to, with out having to impose on the reviewers. They have enough to do. Second....when I have a bunch of new caches hidden (let's say 10 to 20) I have the flexibility to have them published in the order I want them to. Again not imposing on the reviewers. Remember....this would only be an option. It would not effect you if you didn't want it.

We need to control those FTF hogs. ;) I would love to push them over the edge a bit by placing a dozen caches and publish only one per time when they get home and log their FTF! A good way to waste their gas!!

and tbh those that hate the FTF hounds and try to go out of their way and to bend over backwards just to get to them somehow it shows nothing more than a childish attitude :o

live and let live, its not like they are affecting your enjoy of geocaching in any way

No... the reviewers will approve all 12 of the cache at the same time. Its up to me to push the publish button.

So is what you are saying is, you submit a cache or many caches and then the reviewer approves them but they are on hold until you click a button that 'releases' them?

I see no problem with that idea. Sounds good to me.

Thats how i am understand of what the OP is talking about.

So is what you are saying is, you submit a cache or many caches and then the reviewer approves them but they are on hold until you click a button that 'releases' them?

I see no problem with that as long as the submitter isn't allowed to hold on to publishing them for an extended period of time.

I like that idea.

I have the flexibility to have them published in the order I want them to.

It's my understanding that the reviewers already review and publish the caches in the order of their GC #. So if you want them published in a certain order, just submit them in that order. As long as you don't have issues with any of them you should get your wish.

I see no problem with that as long as the submitter isn't allowed to hold on to publishing them for an extended period of time.

I like that idea.

As it is now...the submitter can submit and pretty much wait as long as he wants until having them published. But why would they wait to long anyways?? Isn't the reason you hide to have them published??

I have the flexibility to have them published in the order I want them to.

It's my understanding that the reviewers already review and publish the caches in the order of their GC #. So if you want them published in a certain order, just submit them in that order. As long as you don't have issues with any of them you should get your wish.

To be more precise....I should have said....with respect to location, since I hide in muti locations. Sometimes I don't know which ones I want published until they are all hidden and sent in for review.

Edited by GEO-BUM

OK then. You should not submit them until they are all hidden then.

In my case I don't. What I do is hide them all first. Then type up all the pages and send them...but I uncheck the ready to publish box. Then I recheck all the cache pages to make sure all is ok. Next I check the box to have them published. After that I loose control and that's what I don't want.

I really haven't seen any angst here yet.

except that certain people want this feature to be able to manipulate the publishing time so they can get the FTF hounds

and to answer the OP idea, NO, i don't care to have control over the time my caches are published

only on two occasions we wanted the caches published on a certain day and we just asked the reviewer to do so, one was for the caches we placed for the 10 year event and another when we placed about 4 caches on the same trail and didn't want them published on different days so as not to waste people's time, just the opposite of what some suggested here

That is problematic to other cachers that may want to place caches in the same area or to the cacher themself by waiting too long and then the immediate area gets populated by another cache.

IMO, Bad idea all around.

No not at all. When you place a cache and do the cache page but uncheck the ready to publish box, your hide location is yours no matter how long you wait to have it published. So there is no difference.

I don't see how it generally matters when the cache is published. On the rare occasion that it does matter, a note to the reviewer should do the trick. Are reviewers overwhelmed with such requests?

Generally we have no problem keeping up with special requests, including events, power trails, birthday caches, milestone caches, etc.

If it is a problem, like publishing while I'm normally sleeping or while I'm making a management presentation at my paying job, I can ask a colleague to help out. Middle of the night for me is morning in Europe.

That is problematic to other cachers that may want to place caches in the same area or to the cacher themself by waiting too long and then the immediate area gets populated by another cache.

No not at all. When you place a cache and do the cache page but uncheck the ready to publish box, your hide location is yours no matter how long you wait to have it published. So there is no difference.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that if you choose location X, place the cache, fill out the page but don't have it published then that area is "yours" and no other caches can be placed there.

It's my experience that what you say isn't true. Another cache can be placed and activated within the 528 guideline and all your work is for naught. Your cache isn't active so in theory it doesn't exist in the database.

What you are proposing/saying amounts to squatting and I don't think the guidelines allow that.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that if you choose location X, place the cache, fill out the page but don't have it published then that area is "yours" and no other caches can be placed there.

It's my experience that what you say isn't true. Another cache can be placed and activated within the 528 guideline and all your work is for naught. Your cache isn't active so in theory it doesn't exist in the database.

What you are proposing/saying amounts to squatting and I don't think the guidelines allow that.

and i agree, hence the note beside the active box

Yes, this listing is active (For new listings, if you want to work on this listing before it is reviewed, uncheck this box. Reviewers will only see the listing in the queue when it is checked.)
Edited by t4e

I don't believe this is true at all. Reviewers see the caches when the hider checks the cache is active box. This has nothing to do with the GC number. A cache with a lower GC number may not be ready and the hider hasn't check the box. A cache with a higher GC number is submitted and the reviewer could work on that one immediately.

On top of this there reviewers don't even publish caches in the order they appear in the queue. If there is a problem with a cache that doesn't hold up publication of caches that were submitted later. Reviewers even have some flexibility. A simple traditional cache that doesn't have any complexities may get approved while other caches that are more work to to check are put on hold. The only use of the GC number would be if two caches are submitted that would block on another due to the proximity rule. The cache with the lower GC number would generally take precedent. Of course if that cache couldn't be published for some reason then the other cache would get the location assuming that it had no problems.

Th requested feature has been asked for many times. Right now, reviewers are often willing to hold publication of cache for a certain event or other reason. They will even attempt to get them published at certain times an in a certain order if that makes sense. A way to either automate the times at which caches are published or allow the cache owner to give the final publish click has been suggested as a way to make it easier to do this.

What is not clear is whether or not TPTB would consider playing games with FTFer by staggering publication of a series of cache is a good reason to allow this. The way it is now you have to ask your reviewer and the reviewer will decide if this is something worth doing. If you allow any cacher to do it, you have to consider whether its use would become abusive. ]

Maybe it would be easier to set up something where the reviewer sets the listing to published but the listing doesn't really hit the internet. The finished product would go into a que where it is finalized or added to geocaching.com at random in a 24 hour period.

On those rare occasions where there is an actual need to publish a cache at a specific time (such as for an event) then I think the current system works fine, providing you give your reviewer plenty of advance notice.

Giving out the ability for the CO to control the time of publishing just smells of "control freak" to me. There are lots of situations (some even outlined in this thread) where the power could be used for no other purpose than to mess with the cache seekers.

No... the reviewers will approve all 12 of the cache at the same time. Its up to me to push the publish button.

this is childish, because you don't want to get up in the middle of the night or whatever to grab the FTF, you want to impede someone that would do so? This sounds like a schoolyard bully tactic. Its so silly.

Can you expound on the whys? What is the advantage?

OK...first off it would only be an option. If you chose not to do it yourself leave it as it is. If you chose to do it yourself then you could. Now why??? First off it's the "FTF" issue (may not be important to most). I could have the caches published at different times through out the day (or night) when I want to, with out having to impose on the reviewers. They have enough to do. Second....when I have a bunch of new caches hidden (let's say 10 to 20) I have the flexibility to have them published in the order I want them to. Again not imposing on the reviewers. Remember....this would only be an option. It would not effect you if you didn't want it.

Why do you feel the need to control other people?

EDIT: Sorry, I quoted the wrong post, then the forum went wonky for ten minutes and I couldn't correct it.

Edited by Don_J

Actually, "squatting" as you call it is allowed. Typically, if your inactive listing becomes an issue, the reviewer will contact you and ask what your intentions are. If you are actually working on publishing the listing, they will give you a reasonable time to finish it. If you are squatting simply for the sake of squatting, they will publish the other cache and you are out of luck.

This has come up many time when people would create random inactive/unpublished listings to park their travel bugs.

I don't believe this is true at all. Reviewers see the caches when the hider checks the cache is active box. This has nothing to do with the GC number. A cache with a lower GC number may not be ready and the hider hasn't check the box. A cache with a higher GC number is submitted and the reviewer could work on that one immediately.

True, but when the box is checked the lower number will appear in order of GC code in the queue, so the older cache will be first.

On top of this there reviewers don't even publish caches in the order they appear in the queue. If there is a problem with a cache that doesn't hold up publication of caches that were submitted later. Reviewers even have some flexibility. A simple traditional cache that doesn't have any complexities may get approved while other caches that are more work to to check are put on hold. The only use of the GC number would be if two caches are submitted that would block on another due to the proximity rule. The cache with the lower GC number would generally take precedent. Of course if that cache couldn't be published for some reason then the other cache would get the location assuming that it had no problems.

Some truth to what you are saying and some to what Wimseyguy is saying.

Reviewers generally work in order. They may however skip one or more with many issues to get through the queue, then go back and address caches with problems

He was correct to a point. Your inactive cache will hold a spot, but not forever. If a reviewer receives a submission for a cache and an older, inactive cache is within .1 mile of the new one the older, inactive one will indeed take precedence. The reviewer will check with the owner of the inactive cache to see what the situation is. He may be waiting for a permit, or may be working on a detailed puzzle, or making a custom cache container, whatever.

As long as it's a good reason and its reasonable amount of time (a few weeks, up to a month or two) the reviewer will wait. You can't hold a spot indefinitely though and you can't hold a spot for the sake of holding a spot.

Edited by briansnat

True, but when the box is checked the lower number will appear in order of GC code in the queue, so the older cache will be first.

So a reviewer looking at the queue would have no idea that the cache with the higher GC number was sitting there for three days waiting to be reviewed while the cache with the lower number was just checked as active and ready for review a few minutes ago? Most reviewers likely check their queue several times a day, so this isn't so important. But we always hear that reviewers have a life and may have circumstances when they can't get to the queue for a day or so. In that case, it sounds like publication could be delayed while the reviewer processes caches that were submitted later but happened to have a lower GC number.

Being an avid cache hider, I would like to see the ability of a cache owner to publish his/her hides when they want to. Why can't there be an option, where as the reviewer places the new cache hides in a queue when they have been approved? Then having a feature letting the cache owner publish their hides when they want.

Why?? It would give the cache owner more control of the publishing of their hides and would take a load off the reviewer with all the special publishing requests.

Generally we have no problem keeping up with special requests, including events, power trails, birthday caches, milestone caches, etc.

If it is a problem, like publishing while I'm normally sleeping or while I'm making a management presentation at my paying job, I can ask a colleague to help out. Middle of the night for me is morning in Europe.

Seeing as Keystone doesn't have a big problem with the occasional special requests that have expressed reasons, I am left feeling that the real reason that you would want to have the ability to publish your cache yourself is for more personal reasons. Those, I think, are best left out of the process because they could lead to the angst and "control freak"ish behavior that other posters have suggested. You do, however, have some control over when your cache is published. You could stagger the submission of your caches for approval, for instance, if you don't want to have all five of the caches you have hidden along a trail published on the same date. Beyond that limited control, I think it's best left to other powers. You might as well come to terms with it. While it is your cache, there are many aspects about it that you just can't control (who finds it first, what cachers leave in the cache, the length of an online log, and so on...). You might better just shrug and move on. You may have more fun with that attitude! :(

I think that the reviewers have enough to worry about, and I think they do a great job. They are volunteers and are doing it for FREE donating their time. I would not want to add more to their plate. Besides who cares they will be published when they are published and lets lave it at that. JMO

Scubasonic