Creative Hides--Fairy Doors

A quite, cute cache.

But, I wonder about a couple of things. I suspect the door and hinges would be quite fragile and wouldn't hold up to FTF frenzy or multiple children. I also think the fairy door would be quite visible to muggles and the first 12 year old boy that passes would kick it in.

Edited by Minimike2

There are 2 fairy door caches at Riverbend Park in Jupiter, FL. They were placed for the 10th anniversary event there.

I only had a chance to find 1 of the 2 that day but I suspect they are both the same: the "door frame" is created by the roots of a tree, the door is a single piece of wood with no hinges attaching it, and the cache container is a watertight container in the open space behind the door. It's not hard to find if you're looking for it, but you have to go several hundred feet across a field out of your normal travel way to reach it so nobody is likely to find it by accident and since it's not attached there's no risk of damage (and hopefully no children will walk off with the door).

While it isn't quite like the fairy doors on that website, we have a virtual here called Mr. Little Guy's House that is very cool.

e962b64b-4855-408c-9304-7e76a9175f68.jpg

I LOVE it! does the door open? Also, where does mr. little guy send your advice? Does he email you via geocaching.com? That is really original and cool!

Yes, the door opens, and that is where you leave your letters and get your replies. This has been there since 1995, and is only about 2 or 3 feet from the most popular jogging/biking/walking trail in Minneapolis.

I don't have a cache that is through a fairy door, yet. But I do have one that is next to one.

Northwest Whimsey GC217WZ

On a boarded up window below ground level is a fairy door set into a piece of plywood, with a little metal fireplace next to it. When you open the door you see a domestic scene inside. The fireplace has a "fire" burning in it. Someone put it up in my neighborhood several years ago. It is hidden pretty well, and it takes some looking to see it. Unfortunately, a few weeks after I put a cache on the pipe next to it, the door was pulled off. :) Someone also tried to pry off the fireplace, but I found it laying on the ground.

I put the fireplace back up and am working on replacing the door. Sad, I hate to think a geocacher was responsible.

edit to make the cache name comprehensible.

Edited by BlueMoth

We have one, but we made our own with an ammo can.

Very nice! Was that painted on or constructed and attached? it's hard to tell from the photo. Great placement too.

Constructed - it's a working door! I have a better pic, but I can't lay my hands on it...that was from someone's log. A series we did called Cap'n Rusty's List of Honor.