GSAK or no GSAK?

What do you want to do?

What kit do you have?

If you want something to make you a cup of tea/pull a pint of beer, GSAK isn't for you! :D

GSAK can further filter caches from a PQ (Pocket Query)

Can keep a database of your found caches.

(and others, unfound etc. -just make sure the caches in your GPS are up to date when you go off caching. Or it IS possible to go after an archived cache that is no longer there...)

Nice Stats, if you're into stats. (See my profile)

If you do Unknown/Puzzle caches that can be worked out at home, GSAK allows you to enter the 'correct coordinates' which will be sent to your GPS.

GSAK allows you to keep notes about caches (such as how you solved the Unknown/Puzzle cache)

Need more?

It is free to download, and you get 21 days -fully functional- to have a play.

Then you get a 'nag screen' if "you like please consider paying..."

edit for speeling!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

You don't need GSAK, but whether you want it or not depends on how you do your caching. What GSAK does in it's simplest form is allows you to run Pocket Queries on Geocaching.com, and then import them into your own GSAK database on your own PC, so effectively you maintain your own mini database of caches. By scheduling the PQs to run regularly it automatically keeps itself up to date, so if you feel the urge to go caching you can download the cache details to your GPS directly from GSAK which is much quicker and easier than doing it from Geocaching.com. GSAK can do all sorts of other stuff as well, such as producing stats pages etc.

Also there are other bits of software which do similar things, GSAK isn't the only tool in the box.I used to use it, but now prefer geoqo, but that's only available for Linux users, I can't remember the name of any of the others at the mo.

If you think it might be for you, then download it and you can have a free 30 day trial (IIRC), after which you will get a nag screen every time you try to use it asking you to register it.

Thanks for prompt reply. Sooo... If i was contemplating caching away from my home for a few days, in an area say with no internet. Using GSAK I could download a list and details of caches in the area I am visiting to my laptop and use it "Off line"?

Not exactly... You would install GSAK on your laptop, run a PQ (or PQs) to cover the caches in the area you're interested in and load them into GSAK. Take your laptop away with you and you have all the details of the caches to hand without the need for internet access.

Simples(ish) :DB):D

Do your pq of the area and make a centre point where your going then filter away. ( just turned off my broadband and yes you can read the cache page, no maps though )

As said before it is free , you can still use it after 21 days just have to wait

a while afterwards.

See how it goes. :D

Sorted. Thanks guys.. Netbook comes away with me with all details of local cache's .. But no maps...good enough... Now to get maps saved as well....that would be nice... working on it...

I run the MyGME mapping macro with GSAK (the macro is free)

It produces great maps with accompanying cache lists showing the key info for each cache.

If you do go with GSAK, make sure you check out the MyGME mapping macro.

One day I was out and about and forgot to take my printed map for the day with me. I did however have my netbook, so I thought "I wonder..."

Fired it up and found the GPX file I had downloaded for the day. Imported it into GSAK again and set 'user flags' for the imported caches. (This sets an easy filter to extraxt just the caches in the GPX file).

I then hit the MyGME maps macro button and, without an internet connection, the map was generated and popped up in a browser window.

I don't know if this was because I had already done it once, or if this map can be generated without an internet connection. But it certainly helped me that day.

The most useful feature of GSAK (for me) is that it produces (via another free macro) perfect output to load onto my tomtom car satnav.

I update GSAK weekly with PQs covering approx a 100 mile radius from home.

I then use GSAK to run the tomtom macro and output POI files which I then copy across to the tomtom SD card.

As I drive around, all the caches are visible on tomtom and are fully searchable by type.

Then I do the same thing with my partner's Garmin Etrex Legend.

GSAK outputs (via yet another free macro) the POI files for the Garmin which I then upload to the unit using Garmin POI loader.

This gives the Legend the cache name/number, child waypoints (parking etc) and hint. Which is a bit more than the basic number and coordinates you get by putting the raw GPX file onto the unit.

In addition to all this I use GSAK to filter and sort caches, to plan a day out, to look up distances between caches, to keep a record of my finds, FTF's, updated coordinates for puzzles, notes for geographically spread series etc etc.

In short, I wouldn't be without GSAK now, and I am sure I probably only use about 10% of its features.

It was daunting when I first downloaded it as it seemed way too complex for what I needed. But with all these things, you soon find you want to do something and it isn't possible on the website alone, but there is a way to do it with your database.

So the thing becomes more and more useful as you discover its features.

Hope that helps more than it confuses !

Hi. I hear a lot about GSAK and wonder do I need it or is all I need within this site? What can it do for me that I cannot do here? Do the programs compliment one another or shouldn't I even be mentioning it here?

(apologies if the latter)

Thanks Osi.

I don't think I could live without GSAK now! I dismissed it at first as it didn't have a stunning interface (Yes, I'm shallow!), which I realise now was a stupid mistake and I think it's an amazing, powerful bit of software!

I love the fact that you can knock up a quick macro (a bit of code) to automate what you want to do with your PQ data. You don't find much software around nowadays that lets you actually code part of it! I use the filters a lot to strip out disabled caches, or mark caches with lots of recent DNF logs so I know I might have a bit of a job finding it. I'm one for big caching trips or days out caching so I like to have the opportunity to sort and filter the caches, and be able to set a centre point so that I can strip out any caches that are going to be too far away for me to even bother trying! And like 'Lovejoy & Tinker' (Thank you again for pointing this out to me) I love the MyGME macro for the simple fact that it'll let me print out a map of caches with cache name labels on.

I'd definitely say give GSAK a chance. I was sceptical at first but due to everyone raving about it I forced myself to try it out (I did a massive blog about my first impressions, and what I learnt about it as I went along which may help you) and I'm so glad I did!

P.S. DrDick&Vick: I really, really, really did try to use 'Geocache Log' when you recommended it to me, but it just really wasn't happening! It's just not for me I'm afraid! :)

GSAK outputs (via yet another free macro) the POI files for the Garmin which I then upload to the unit using Garmin POI loader.

This gives the Legend the cache name/number, child waypoints (parking etc) and hint. Which is a bit more than the basic number and coordinates you get by putting the raw GPX file onto the unit.

I upload filtered waypoints as POIs directly to my 60CSx from GSAK without going through Garmin's POI Loader. It gives me the the waypoint code, the first two lines of the cache name and the decrypted hint, or at least, the first 80 characters of the hint which is usually sufficient unless it's a particularly long one. If your Legend is one of the newer variants with a USB interface, you may be able to use the same (or similar) method.

I created a 'How to do it' web page HERE, if anyone is interested

I upload filtered waypoints as POIs directly to my 60CSx from GSAK without going through Garmin's POI Loader. It gives me the the waypoint code, the first two lines of the cache name and the decrypted hint, or at least, the first 80 characters of the hint which is usually sufficient unless it's a particularly long one. If your Legend is one of the newer variants with a USB interface, you may be able to use the same (or similar) method.

I created a 'How to do it' web page HERE, if anyone is interested

That's pretty much what I get using the Garmin POI loader, not sure what would be different?

I started using the POI loader as it provides an easy way to clear the unit first before putting the new database contents onto it.

Because sometimes I include 'found' caches and sometimes I don't.

That's pretty much what I get using the Garmin POI loader, not sure what would be different?

The Garmin POI loader reads .csv files which are restricted to 4 columns - if you want to put information additional to the hint (such as container size, difficulty/terrain, date last found, placer's name etc) then you have to edit the 4th column manually, which is both laborious and requiring of some excel skills. With GSAK it is much easier and faster to do this. For Traditional caches I do the following in the GSAK Garmin POI export option:

In the 'Name' box (3rd column on a .csv) I put

%Smart, %OwnerName,

and in the 'Description' box (4th column on a .csv) I put

%Con1,%Hint,%Last4,%dif1/%ter1,%User,%datelf

Which is pretty well all the information I ever need to be 'paperless' when out caching.

I started using the POI loader as it provides an easy way to clear the unit first before putting the new database contents onto it.

Because sometimes I include 'found' caches and sometimes I don't.

GSAK will overwrite previous files too if you want it to, and having separate pre-set variables for Found/Micro/Virtual caches is dead easy.

Looks like we're getting a little off topic and getting into 'How To' discussion which should be done in the GPS and Tech forum.

BTW I don't know how I managed without GSAK. It may not be immediately intuitive but there's plenty of help on our forums and GSAK's own forums

Nice Stats, if you're into stats. (See my profile)

Took a quick peek - how did you set up the UK maps in GSAK?

I just get the world or Europe maps. I've used the Ukgeocachers one but its a faff to set-up.

Techno-numpty... Don't ask me! :)

FindStatGen -I use the Beta4 version, but did use the 3.9 version, until it updated to Beta4.

Map files http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=8241

(FindStatGenMap: They have British Isles -incs all Ireland/Eire- but I use the UK, but not 100% if it's United Kingdom or UK County)

Colours you can load the file to choose your own, make sure you save the details!

A fair bit of 'playing around' until you like it. SAVE!!!

:D

edit to add: Note, I am using Beta versions of GSAK 7.7.2 and FindStatGen... They do have a few more 'Extras'!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Not good if you use linux. Managed to GSAK in a windoze vitual machine in ubuntu but unless you have uber fast PC it is jerky slow horrible and occasionally crashes. I still run it once or month to do my profile stats though :) (saving VM state when closing down also avoids the nag counter next boot up)

I would definitely pay for a Linux version though.