Third party TB's

I'm building a third party Travel bug site, called "Travel Cards" since "Travel Bugs" is trademarked. Is this ok?

i'm not an attorney... but i did stay at a holiday inn express....

the answer for which you seek is seven... no threve.

dunno.... what's the logo... find a different word combo than "travel ----".

I'm building a third party Travel bug site, called "Travel Cards" since "Travel Bugs" is trademarked. Is this ok?

You'd be fine. travelertags.com has been around since 2003 or 2004, best I can tell. No one cares though. I have 5 of them out there, and haven't received a single log on one since 2007. That one was last spotted in a cache in Alaska.

Geotagtracker.com went dark in 2006 or 2007. I'm sure I've seen a few European based third party sites, but can't remember any of them. What I do remember is a thread in the travel bug forum a year or so ago where someone found a traveler tag, and wondered about the "legality" of it. TPTB apparently have no problem. I'll look up that thread if I have to. Don't feel like right now though. :)

You'd be fine. travelertags.com has been around since 2003 or 2004, best I can tell. No one cares though. I have 5 of them out there, and haven't received a single log on one since 2007. That one was last spotted in a cache in Alaska.

Geotagtracker.com went dark in 2006 or 2007. I'm sure I've seen a few European based third party sites, but can't remember any of them. What I do remember is a thread in the travel bug forum a year or so ago where someone found a traveler tag, and wondered about the "legality" of it. TPTB apparently have no problem. I'll look up that thread if I have to. Don't feel like right now though.

I occasionally come across trailers that when I get home they say to log on an alternate site. I put them with my geo stuff and return them to the next cache I find w/o logging. I don't think you will get much traffic.

i'm not an attorney... but i did stay at a holiday inn express....

the answer for which you seek is seven... no threve.

dunno.... what's the logo... find a different word combo than "travel ----".

Like what?

Sure it's OK to build a competing site.

But I seriously doubt that Groundspeak will allow you to promote it in their forum! :)

Ok.

Geotagtracker.com went dark in 2006 or 2007. I'm sure I've seen a few European based third party sites, but can't remember any of them. What I do remember is a thread in the travel bug forum a year or so ago where someone found a traveler tag, and wondered about the "legality" of it. TPTB apparently have no problem. I'll look up that thread if I have to. Don't feel like right now though. :)

Oh, wow.

Geotagtracker.com went dark in 2006 or 2007. I'm sure I've seen a few European based third party sites, but can't remember any of them. What I do remember is a thread in the travel bug forum a year or so ago where someone found a traveler tag, and wondered about the "legality" of it. TPTB apparently have no problem. I'll look up that thread if I have to. Don't feel like right now though.

I occasionally come across trailers that when I get home they say to log on an alternate site. I put them with my geo stuff and return them to the next cache I find w/o logging. I don't think you will get much traffic.

Oh.

Isn't that kind of like path-tags? I found 2 in a cache recently, and put them right back.

Or are these replacements for lost GS TB dog tags?

The pathtags you are supposed to keep! Those are awesome, go back and get them!

What are they?

Look, multiple people have tried to explain it to you, but you don't seem to be soaking it up. Let me try again.

You do not have to respond to every post.

You do not need to quote an entire long post to enter one line of response.

You CAN respond to multiple posts in one post.

If you want people to take you seriously, learn how to edit, post meaningful responses (and I don't mean "Oh, wow." and "????????"). Learn how the "+ Quote" buttons and "Add Reply" button works.

There are a few other sites for tracking non-Groundspeak items. They're generally not very successful - people don't want to have to go to another site to track them. It's hard enough to get them to track them on geocaching.com as it is, or to get them to write logs more meaningful than just "TFTC". For another example in addition to what's above, check out Digitalfish and sigitem.com.

Look, multiple people have tried to explain it to you, but you don't seem to be soaking it up. Let me try again.

If you want people to take you seriously, learn how to edit, post meaningful responses (and I don't mean "Oh, wow." and "????????"). Learn how the "+ Quote" buttons and "Add Reply" button works.

There are a few other sites for tracking non-Groundspeak items. They're generally not very successful - people don't want to have to go to another site to track them. It's hard enough to get them to track them on geocaching.com as it is, or to get them to write logs more meaningful than just "TFTC". For another example in addition to what's above, check out Digitalfish and sigitem.com.

It is very apparent at this point that it's all intentional. He isn't concerned with being taken seriously. And we are just encouraging more of it by trying to explain it over and over again.

Keystone and Motorcycle Momma's approaches are the most effective. :)

1. Ok.

2. But I like too.

3. You don't? Why?

4. As preveisly stated, I don't like the quote buttons, because when I quote multi quote messages I don't know where each one starts and stops and I get confused.

5. Learn how to edit what?

6. I do

7. I know how it works.

8. I just put "TFTC" every time, I don't think people mind.

9. I don't get what the links are for.

It is very apparent at this point that it's all intentional. He isn't concerned with being taken seriously. And we are just encouraging more of it by trying to explain it over and over again.

What are they?

4. As preveisly stated, I don't like the quote buttons, because when I quote multi quote messages I don't know

If that confuses you, I have no idea how you think you're going to set up a TB site... but then again I question whether you are just pulling all our legs anyway.

What are they?

This is an example in effective post quoting. Notice I delete the non-relevant stuff from the parts I quoted from.

They respond to your question and close your thread before it spins out of control yet again.

While I appreciate the level of enthusiasm for building yet-another-trackable-system, I'll add my advice to not bother.

There are a number of alternatives to the trackables recognised by Groundspeak, but as a geocacher I really dislike dealing with them.

Some want me to sign up - Why? I don't want to keep track of a password for a site I'll visit once every two years, as often as I happen across one of those trackables.

Others require me to cut-n-paste stats from Geocaching.Com I really don't want to, it's fiddly enough dealing with one 6-digit code for a trackable, let alone photos which I may be inclined to take for the trackable owner's benefit.

When I happen across alternative trackables I'm inclined to leave them, for the above considerations.

The geocaching tracking pages are quite good, plus the nice feature of showing where they've been on Google Maps. The cost of trackables can be kept low by simply attaching dog tags to items, buying unloved ones on eBay or trading at events for unactivated coins. I'll happily move along proxies, if you don't want to risk an actual trackable (such as geocoins, which seem to have terribly short traveling lives with all the thieves out there) as long as it can be tracked on geocaching.com

Some good proxies are laminated printed reproductions of the actual geocoin, often I see these because the original was muggled or stolen.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

If you are going to start your own business that will be competitive with Groundspeak, please promote it somewhere else. Either that, or you can buy advertising on this site by emailing the contact address.

I am going to close this topic.

If you are going to start your own business that will be competitive with Groundspeak, please promote it somewhere else. Either that, or you can buy advertising on this site by emailing the contact address.

I am going to close this topic.

Yay! Please do!