E.T. Highway Power Trail

Here's my thing, I would love to get a group of cachers out to go do that series over a few days, but after what happened with the Trail of the Gods, I'd be scared to book any travel arrangements knowing that the whole series could get archived like the last one.

Good point. It would be nice to hear from one of the organizers that they have permission for all of these.

That is definitely a good point. It looks like we're making plans to go out there after GeoWoodstock (with another cacher who turns out to be an old coworker, small world), but we're going to be driving I think; but even so, it would be good to know.

Here's my thing, I would love to get a group of cachers out to go do that series over a few days, but after what happened with the Trail of the Gods, I'd be scared to book any travel arrangements knowing that the whole series could get archived like the last one.

Good point. It would be nice to hear from one of the organizers that they have permission for all of these.

That is definitely a good point. It looks like we're making plans to go out there after GeoWoodstock (with another cacher who turns out to be an old coworker, small world), but we're going to be driving I think; but even so, it would be good to know.

And that would be me, small world indeed.

And that would be me, small world indeed.

Exactly:

The specific reason why I ran my mouth on every thread possible as the TOTG was dying to inform folks of the availability coupled with the date of demise.

Did some folks get a rare opportunity to do a Mojave Run - yes.

Did I tick some folks off - yes.

Was I called out for broadcasting information - yes.

Me bad - perhaps.

Not surprisingly, the same thing was written for the second cache, and the third....

When they can't even be bothered with typing a unique cache page for each hide, and instead just rubber stamp the same thing a thousand times, they should expect to get rubber stamp logs.

in my opinion, the loosening of the guidelines such that power trails like the TotG and this one are now possible was absolutely the worst decision that Groundspeak has ever made.

Brother, you are preaching to the choir. Groundspeak sold out to the lowest common denominator.

The P&G crowd scored a huge victory.

Is there some quality of the Mojave we're not aware of? Do they roll it up at certain times of the year? Stick it in a warehouse and tell folks, "Sorry. The Mojave is not here now. You'll have to come back later"? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, couldn't I have done a Mojave run before someone spewed out a bunch of film cans? Couldn't I still do a Mojave run after said film cans were cleaned up? I would think having 600+ film cans strewn about would not be a prerequisite for doing a Mojave run. Is it?

Instead of planning a trip around grabbing hundreds of the same hide, why not plan a multi-day multi-state run?

A few of us have down just that over the last couple of years and have had a blast. We only had two stated goals:

1) One cache in each state we visited (of course we usually did more!) - no stopping at every cache along the way

2) Good food along the way

We've done the following trips:

1) Flew into Chicago - grabbed IL, IN, MI, WI; Ate at Smoque BBQ in Chicago; Made it to a local event

2) Flew into New Orleans - Grabbed LA, MS, AL, FL; Ate some great BBQ at The Shed (MS); Ate at some great local places in New Orleans; Did "View Carre" cache (Very cool!)

3) Drove to Syracuse area (from RI) - Did "The Spot" and ate great BBQ at Dinosaurs (Best BBQ in America according to Good Morning America - yes, I know...this is open to debate)

4) (Being planned) - Fly into Kansas City and pick up MO, IA, SD, NE and KS; Eat some BBQ in KC, and some beef in Omaha; See the Bridges of Madison County

(hmmmm...we liek to eat BBQ don't we!)

There are several places where you can fly into one city and grab several states in a small number of days. We do some up front research and find caches with views or history or clever hides. This creates a "must do" list and keeps us focus on "good" cahces vice parking lot caches. We have a lot of fun along the way, and aren't pressured to maxmize our find count, or to make some ridiculous goal.

It's all about the journey.

Instead of planning a trip around grabbing hundreds of the same hide, why not plan a multi-day multi-state run?

A few of us have down just that over the last couple of years and have had a blast. We only had two stated goals:

1) One cache in each state we visited (of course we usually did more!) - no stopping at every cache along the way

1) Flew into Chicago - grabbed IL, IN, MI, WI; Ate at Smoque BBQ in Chicago; Made it to a local event

2) Flew into New Orleans - Grabbed LA, MS, AL, FL; Ate some great BBQ at The Shed (MS); Ate at some great local places in New Orleans; Did "View Carre" cache (Very cool!)

3) Drove to Syracuse area (from RI) - Did "The Spot" and ate great BBQ at Dinosaurs (Best BBQ in America according to Good Morning America - yes, I know...this is open to debate)

4) (Being planned) - Fly into Kansas City and pick up MO, IA, SD, NE and KS; Eat some BBQ in KC, and some beef in Omaha; See the Bridges of Madison County

There are several places where you can fly into one city and grab several states in a small number of days. We do some up front research and find caches with views or history or clever hides. This creates a "must do" list and keeps us focus on "good" cahces vice parking lot caches. We have a lot of fun along the way, and aren't pressured to maxmize our find count, or to make some ridiculous goal.

I'm with the BBQ-loving dude (or dudette?)

that sounds about 50 trillion times more fun than a power trail in the desert

Dude.

There's a lot of driving involved, but that gives us more time to caht and laugh and tell bad jokes. We're not stopping every 30 seconds to jump out of car, find a film can and then move another 500'. Repeat 500 times.

Dude.

There's a lot of driving involved, but that gives us more time to caht and laugh and tell bad jokes. We're not stopping every 30 seconds to jump out of car, find a film can and then move another 500'. Repeat 500 times.

It sounds like tons more fun than jumping out of the car every 528 feet.

Dude.

It sounds like tons more fun than jumping out of the car every 528 feet.

And let's not forget about the food! Power trailing leaves you no time for a nice sit down dinner or lunch at great dining establishments. Nothing beats ribs, pulled pork, brisket and an ice cold beer after a fun day of caching.

This sounds like it would be a great time. I could even see a bunch of different cachers from different places flying into a city, renting a car for a few days and doing some multi-state geocaching. When is the KC trip? I haven't found caches in any of those states.

I'm fortunate to live about 50 miles from the original Dinosaurs BBQ in Syracuse. They not only have good food but it's a really fun atmosphere. It was original started by three bikers and although the clientele is quite varied you can still find lots of motorcycles out front. They also usually have some good music at night. It feels more like a biker bar than a Texas Roadhouse Grill. They also have a restaurant in Rochester (the food is every bit as good) and one in New York City (upper west side, almost underneath the Henry Hudson pkwy).

This sounds like it would be a great time. I could even see a bunch of different cachers from different places flying into a city, renting a car for a few days and doing some multi-state geocaching. When is the KC trip? I haven't found caches in any of those states.

I'm fortunate to live about 50 miles from the original Dinosaurs BBQ in Syracuse. They not only have good food but it's a really fun atmosphere. It was original started by three bikers and although the clientele is quite varied you can still find lots of motorcycles out front. They also usually have some good music at night. It feels more like a biker bar than a Texas Roadhouse Grill. They also have a restaurant in Rochester (the food is every bit as good) and one in New York City (upper west side, almost underneath the Henry Hudson pkwy).

Current dates are 16-18 Oct for the trip to KC. It might be fun to meet up with others to make it more interesting. If you want more info, drop me an email.

As far as Dinosaurs, I worked on a Navy project that had me in Syracuse 20+ times a year for almost 10 years. And if I was there more than a day or two, we would find ourselves there for dinner. MMMMMM. The USS Seawolf crew was going to have them cater the Commissioning of the submarine, but schedules didn't work out.

i looked into this event...

definitely wanted to get out there. figured out flights/etc. for me and my son. i'd go for the event of this weekend, but not plan on going out there without the event just to do a power trail of that sort.

So after all is said and done, air, hotel, meals, rental car....etc., what do you estimate the total cost of attending this event will be?

Hope that you guys have a great time. Please let us know all the details.

Edited by Team Cotati

The plan is to overnight in Omaha both nights. The first night will just be a place to crash. The second night we plan on hitting Johnny's Cafe for meat.

(And I am the guy who posted in the local forum looking for suggections for caches and food)

Oh, duh. I'm an idiot.

A sleepy one. Sorry!

Maybe I'm parsing this a bit unfairly or inaccurately, but....

Exactly:

The specific reason why I ran my mouth on every thread possible as the TOTG was dying to inform folks of the availability coupled with the date of demise.

I take this to mean that that run was placed with the full knowledge that they would be there only a limited time. What happened to the permanence clause in the guidelines? Would that not have made these sanctioned temporary caches? Isn't that (placing temporary caches) a no-no? I seem to recall a huge dust-up a few years ago about temporary and pocket caches.

To quote the guidelines:

Cache Permanence

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move ("traveling caches"), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be published. If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.

* Emphasis added

If these were, indeed, placed with the knowledge that they would only be there a short time, then it would seem you have another naughty item to add to your list.

On the Subject of BBQ. Don't forget Whiskey Creek in North Platte, Nebraska

Maybe I'm parsing this a bit unfairly or inaccurately, but....

Exactly:

I take this to mean that that run was placed with the full knowledge that they would be there only a limited time. What happened to the permanence clause in the guidelines? Would that not have made these sanctioned temporary caches? Isn't that (placing temporary caches) a no-no? I seem to recall a huge dust-up a few years ago about temporary and pocket caches.

To quote the guidelines:

Cache Permanence

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move ("traveling caches"), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be published. If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.

* Emphasis added

If these were, indeed, placed with the knowledge that they would only be there a short time, then it would seem you have another naughty item to add to your list.

You are assuming (incorrectly) that humboldt flier placed the caches on the TOG

I'm still curious, especially if I can go with a group. Why? I'm a don't knock it till you've tried it kind of gal, and I like to try everything in caching once.

I also love the idea of a multi-state cache run with friends, that sounds like a blast!! (Especially if BBQ is involved).

You are assuming (incorrectly) that humboldt flier placed the caches on the TOG

True, I did make an assumption based on his "I" language and I had forgotten that these had been listed under an organization's name. My apologies to humboldt personally. It's the person(s) actually behind the hides and listings within that group that would be responsible.

I'm a don't knock it till you've tried it kind of gal, and I like to try everything in caching once.

You might very well love the experience. Many good folks do. I also like to try things before I rip on them, which is why I gave the 36 cache power trail southwest of me an honest effort. I discovered that my propensity for tolerating mindless replication does have its limits. After 10 or 15 identical hides, I was forced by tedium to come up with my own variations, as the cache owner was seemingly unwilling or unable to.

I'm still curious, especially if I can go with a group. Why? I'm a don't knock it till you've tried it kind of gal, and I like to try everything in caching once.

I also love the idea of a multi-state cache run with friends, that sounds like a blast!! (Especially if BBQ is involved).

Very reasonable. I know we tried for a couple of numbers runs back before they opened up these power trails. One time we went to Erie, PA. Every one said how great the caching was. "Get your numbers up with some really great caches." they said. After an hour we were thinking every one was off their meds. Nano on stop sign. Nano on speed limit sign. Nano on no parking sign. LPC after LPC. A few guardrails tossed in. Yawn. Chasing mile after mile of cut-n-paste caches sounds the same, but worse.

Now this fly in and hit a few states with a group of friends sounds much more interesting. I am intrigued. It may be a great way to meet some of the degenerates I've come to know and love through these forums.

Very reasonable. I know we tried for a couple of numbers runs back before they opened up these power trails. One time we went to Erie, PA. Every one said how great the caching was. "Get your numbers up with some really great caches." they said. After an hour we were thinking every one was off their meds. Nano on stop sign. Nano on speed limit sign. Nano on no parking sign. LPC after LPC. A few guardrails tossed in. Yawn. Chasing mile after mile of cut-n-paste caches sounds the same, but worse.

Now this fly in and hit a few states with a group of friends sounds much more interesting. I am intrigued. It may be a great way to meet some of the degenerates I've come to know and love through these forums.

They both sound equally intriguing to me :lol: If someone really does try to put together the fly in and hit a few states plan, I would like to be in on the planning. :lol:

Not surprisingly, the same thing was written for the second cache, and the third....

When they can't even be bothered with typing a unique cache page for each hide, and instead just rubber stamp the same thing a thousand times, they should expect to get rubber stamp logs.

in my opinion, the loosening of the guidelines such that power trails like the TotG and this one are now possible was absolutely the worst decision that Groundspeak has ever made.

Brother, you are preaching to the choir. Groundspeak sold out to the lowest common denominator.

The P&G crowd scored a huge victory.

Is there some quality of the Mojave we're not aware of? Do they roll it up at certain times of the year? Stick it in a warehouse and tell folks, "Sorry. The Mojave is not here now. You'll have to come back later"? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, couldn't I have done a Mojave run before someone spewed out a bunch of film cans? Couldn't I still do a Mojave run after said film cans were cleaned up? I would think having 600+ film cans strewn about would not be a prerequisite for doing a Mojave run. Is it?

I continue to feel comfortable with my decision to alert folks who had put time, energy and bucks on the line for the TOTG that it was still available and their expenditures were not down the sewer.

I continue to feel comfortable with my decision to alert folks...

Awesome! However, that doesn't address my question.

Did the Mojave suddenly close?

Is there any reason folks can't make a Mojave run now?

Why would such a run be considered "rare"?

Is it possible to take a trip without caching, CR? I honestly don't remember. :lol:

(I used to know this. I'm sure of it.)

Edited by knowschad

Good point. You can do a Mojave run with or without a Power Trail. Having a power trail does not make the Mojave, nor does it ruin the Mojave.

Good point. You can do a Mojave run with or without a Power Trail. Having a power trail does not make the Mojave, nor does it ruin the Mojave.

It does make it harder to plane out a trip that focuses on more interesting caches instead of the cookie cutters. Perhaps a power trail attribute that could be filtered. Oh! What am I thinking?! We don't need no stinking changes!

Any time the Mojave goes to triple digits it closes up well, some folks feel that it should be closed then there is a subset of the populace that seems to think that is a mighty fine temperature. ( LOL ).

I have been in the Mojave @ 0300 with the temp @ 110* & RH sub 5%. Blast furnace like.

It does make it harder to plane out a trip that focuses on more interesting caches instead of the cookie cutters. Perhaps a power trail attribute that could be filtered. Oh! What am I thinking?! We don't need no stinking changes!

If you filtered out micros and smalls, you'd probably miss all the caches on the power trail.

I hiked in the Grand Canyon in the seventies. 110° and humidity someplace between a popcorn fart and a pan of baked kitty litter. It wasn't bad. As long as you had plenty of water your sweat could do its job and it wasn't bad.
I worked in the oil fields in the 80s and did some jobs at Dead Horse Mesa near Moab in mid-summer. But that was then (and I was being well paid) and this is now.

If you filtered out micros and smalls, you'd probably miss all the caches on the power trail.

Are there no micro or small caches in the area that I would be interested in finding?

I hiked in the Grand Canyon in the seventies. 110° and humidity someplace between a popcorn fart and a pan of baked kitty litter. It wasn't bad. As long as you had plenty of water your sweat could do its job and it wasn't bad.
I worked in the oil fields in the 80s and did some jobs at Dead Horse Mesa near Moab in mid-summer. But that was then (and I was being well paid) and this is now.

I was not being paid to hike into the canyon. But I got phone numbers and addresses from four different girls by the time I got back to the car. Oh to be a teenager again knowing what I know now.

I was not being paid to hike into the canyon. But I got phone numbers and addresses from four different girls by the time I got back to the car. Oh to be a teenager again knowing what I know now.

Yeah, I probably would run the other way today, too. With age comes wisdom. :lol:

Why don't you just filter out caches that require Scuba gear. That's why we tagged them all with that attribute.

Also the aliens all said it was fine for the caches to be placed where they put them, and so did the land owner whos cows graze on her thousands of acres. :lol:

Why don't you just filter out caches that require Scuba gear. That's why we tagged them all with that attribute.

Also the aliens all said it was fine for the caches to be placed where they put them, and so did the land owner whos cows graze on her thousands of acres. :lol:

Whtwolfden, Why did you not submit the ET caches under your account cache page? It looks like a fake account was created for just this series. Interesting :lol:

Cool idea (scuba gear that is).

Is this a statment that "Yes, explicsit permissions was granted for these caches"?

While having a plane might make a trip quicker, it doesn't necessarily make it more efficient. That is plain to see.

Edited by Team Cotati

Whtwolfden, Why did you not submit the ET caches under your account cache page? It looks like a fake account was created for just this series. Interesting :lol:

Can't speak for whtwolfden, but considering the number of emails that would be generated by people logging thsi power trail, it would make sense to me to create a new account, with a different email address, and funnel all those emails to a new account.

Just speculating, this probably isn't why...

Today is "Hug a Blue Bow" day!

Also the aliens all said it was fine for the caches to be placed where they put them, and so did the land owner whos cows graze on her thousands of acres. :D

Interesting idea. I don't know if I will ever be in that area caching but it is nice to know you thought of providing such a way to sort these caches out. Convenient for those who want to concentrate on finding the powertrail caches as well as those who want to avoid them. Too bad TPTB don't add a PT attribute.

You can do a Mojave run with or without a Power Trail.

That's what I thought. HF seemed to suggest that the TOTG were the only caches in the Mojave. Perhaps he was only addressing the park & grab junkies, who believe that any cache farther that 10' from their vehicle is not a real cache? Or perhaps some subset of this group that believes one must have mindless repetition before one can be said to truly be caching?

While having a plane might make a trip quicker, it doesn't necessarily make it more efficient. That is plain to see.

Do you have anything pertinent to add or just feel like having fun with a typo?

Is it possible to take a trip without caching, CR? I honestly don't remember. :lol:

(I used to know this. I'm sure of it.)

Much like the answer to how many licks it takes to finish a tootsie pop is three, the answer, at least for me, is no, a trip cannot be taken without caching. Unless it is a fifteen minute trip to the grocery store as I have found all of the ones on the trail behind it already. :D

I'm not sure where the nearest nipple deep water is, but that target with gators is probably over 1000 miles away. So CR will have to find his challenges in other ways if he is Mojave bound. I'm pretty sure there are some caches near old cow dips, so if you bring enough of your own water you can still get nipple deep though.

Edited by wimseyguy

Whtwolfden, Why did you not submit the ET caches under your account cache page? It looks like a fake account was created for just this series. Interesting :D

Can't speak for whtwolfden, but considering the number of emails that would be generated by people logging thsi power trail, it would make sense to me to create a new account, with a different email address, and funnel all those emails to a new account.

Just speculating, this probably isn't why...

Today is "Hug a Blue Bow" day!

That's exactly right Sioneva!

We created a seperate email account and have also filtered out Find log notifications knowing and expecting cut and paste logs. We only get DNF, Notes, Maintenance, etc. logs that will let us know when something is wrong so we can correct it. This keeps us from having an endlessly bloated inbox.

We took as much as possible into consideration before going out and placing them.

It's rather mind boggling as to how many negative people there are out there.

No, Power Trails are not for every one. But that's why we included the Scuba attribute. Just ignore Scuba if you run a query for that area and these caches will not be in your search. No need to bash the caches or those who love doing them.

Personally, I consider myself a well-rounded cacher who enjoys all aspects of the game and I don't put down anyone who plays it differently than I do.

It's unfortunate that small minded people can't live and let live. No one bashes people for only loving puzzle caches or for hating earth caches. So what's the difference here?

The fact is, people are out there and having a blast. We know because we are getting emails and phone calls telling us so. We are in no way forcing anyone to go power caching. Those who enjoy it are doing it. Those who don't, aren't.

THE END!

To everyone who goes out there, we hope you have a great time and hope to meet lots of you at one of the three events this weekend.