How many hides should a person put out?

We have started to put out our own hides lately. We started when we had over 200 finds, to make sure we had some experience under our belts. We are now up to 282 finds with 13 hides. The series we put out, Oz Series (GC26RCK) which has 11 containers, has received wonderful praise and people are asking for more hides from us.

Is there an etiquette where you shouldn't put out too many hides, or only put out a hide for every 25 found? We are aware you have to maintain all the caches, but we don't want to come across poorly by putting out a bunch of hides, even though we have 282 finds. We have some more clever ideas for hides and locations we are looking forward to sharing with everyone.

Any feedback is welcome. Thank you.

Put out as many as you think you can maintain, whether it's 2, 200 or 2,000.

The geocaching community welcomes quality hides and if they are clamoring for more from you, they must be quality. Keep on hiding them until you feel that you reached your maintainable limit. You'll hopefully know when that is. Unfortunately some people don't.

Put out as many as you think you can maintain, whether it's 2, 200 or 2,000.

The geocaching community welcomes quality hides and if they are clamoring for more from you, they must be quality. Keep on hiding them until you feel that you reached your maintainable limit. You'll hopefully know when that is. Unfortunately some people don't.

Exactly what he said. I have only found 182 and have hidden 15. If they like 'em keep 'em coming.!

It is usually a good idea to not hide more geocaches than you can properly maintain.

Some might even say that it's "bad form" to hide more geocaches than you can properly maintain.

Hi Mike...I haven't had a change to find any more in your series...perhaps this weekend.

We totally agree with you John. We would only put out what we can maintain. We take pride in our hides and want to make sure they are kept up properly.

Yep, it all depends on you and what you think you can handle with your own personal schedule. We have 1028 finds and 39 hides, some of which we had to archive when we moved from Colorado to Oregon, and the amount we have right now is pretty good for us maintenance wise, we also maintain one for another cacher who doesn't want to do the adoption thing, but moved out of state; and we formally adopted two caches. Because we work a lot, I don't think we'll be hiding more any time soon, but maybe.

Some people can hide A LOT of caches and they do quite well. There's a couple in Keizer, OR who have TONS of hides, and they're all really great and well-maintained, and a joy to find. There's another cacher who has literally over 800 cache hides and they don't really maintain them whatsoever... so it just depends on who ya are :ph34r:

Have fun hiding caches!

It is usually a good idea to not hide more geocaches than you can properly maintain.

Some might even say that it's "bad form" to hide more geocaches than you can properly maintain.

Hi Mike...I haven't had a change to find any more in your series...perhaps this weekend.

We totally agree with you John. We would only put out what we can maintain. We take pride in our hides and want to make sure they are kept up properly.

So far, all of the hides of yours that I've found have been the type of cache that I like to find.

Since nobody else has mentioned it, the person with the most number of hides is King Boreas (currently owns 2328 caches). I found a "King Boreas 1000 Hides" coin in a local cache awhile back that had never been to any of his caches (primarily in the Minneapolis, MN area) and was able to drop it into a cache in that area when I was in St. Paul for business.

We have started to put out our own hides lately. We started when we had over 200 finds, to make sure we had some experience under our belts. We are now up to 282 finds with 13 hides. The series we put out, Oz Series (GC26RCK) which has 11 containers, has received wonderful praise and people are asking for more hides from us.

Is there an etiquette where you shouldn't put out too many hides, or only put out a hide for every 25 found? We are aware you have to maintain all the caches, but we don't want to come across poorly by putting out a bunch of hides, even though we have 282 finds. We have some more clever ideas for hides and locations we are looking forward to sharing with everyone.

Any feedback is welcome. Thank you.

As many as you want, as long as you can keep them to a decent standard and maintain them.

How many hides should a person put out?

Has many quality hides that you can responsibly maintain. I have 74 and sometimes it gets tough but it's worth it.

It all depends on the effort the cache owner is willing to put in. Sometimes maintenance needs to take precedence over finding caches.

be carefull if your puttin out micro caches or you will be running back every two weeks puttin in new logs.

That really depends on where and how it is placed.

My one regular cache's logbook is filling up faster than my micro's.

But, for the most part you are correct.