My first cache hunt will be tomorrow - quick question

We have a competition between ourselves - we go for an odd number of caches, and whoever finds the most is the winner of the day. We have separate accounts and both log our finds.

That's how we do it too. We have a FTF for the day, who can find the first cache of the day. Just adds fun to an already fun hobby.

We have a competition between ourselves - we go for an odd number of caches, and whoever finds the most is the winner of the day. We have separate accounts and both log our finds.

That's how we do it too. We have a FTF for the day, who can find the first cache of the day. Just adds fun to an already fun hobby.

Hey! That sounds really fun! My husband is not competetive though... and I find more than him anyway :)

I love it though, adds to the day! You guys must have a great time.

To the OP, best of luck on your first cache hunt! How exciting!

I cannot begin to tell you all what a great time I had today!

So, My wife, ten month old son and I head to a river with a public park, where there are two caches. We went with ArdentEnthusiast, his wife, and their 16 month old daughter. Today was the first time for any of us went on a geocache hunt. ArdentEnthusiast just bought a GPS this morning from a guy off of ebay, and it's the only GPS between the two of us.

So we are looking for the cache, trying to figure the GPS out, and totally coming to a loss on the legitimacy of the GPS coordinates, as we simply cannot find the cache anywhere. After some time our wives want to get going, kids have to take naps, etc, so we head home. Both of us resolved to find a cache, we drop off our wives, head to a park closer to my house, and we make our first find. It was awesome! It is almost surreal looking for a cache while regular people walk right by completely oblivious to this hidden world. These cahces are right in the middle of places people go everyday. It's something else.

Ardent then goes home, and lends me his GPS so I can go back to the river to find the other two caches. You can only imagine how thrilled I was when I found the originally elusive cache! And it hasd some great SWAG, including a free bowling game, a PBA card, a travel bug, and other cool things. (I didnt make any trades, as I decided ahead of time I just wanted to see how the game works, before I decide what to bring for trades.

The third cache was by far the most dificult. It took me nearly 40 minutes, but man, that just made finding it all the sweeter! I absolutely love this game, and am seriously hooked. I am already thinking of some places I can make some caches myself... including a spot on the bay near my house that you can only get to with a paddle.

BTW, I love the community here, and I look forward to getting to know some of you better as I get into geocaching!

Congratulations on your first geocaching trip! It's cool to hear your story and remember the experience of my first couple finds. I was pumped! Might I add also, thank you for writing about and sharing your story in your find logs and thank you for doing the same in your DNF logs!

Wlcome to the game, have fun, and cache on!

Congrats!!! I can't wait to get started myself. I am so glad I checked this post again to see how your adventure turned out. (I have to wait until Tuesday to get my new eXplorist gc) Reading your adventure made me feel like a kid in a candy shop :)

You are going to love it Spanky! It is a lot like being a kid in a candy shop, only healthier, and more fun!

So I found my 4th Cache ever today with another friend. The thing is, I found 4 caches in one weekend without owning a GPS, by finding friends with GPS's and getting them hooked on geocaching! Getting my friends hooked ought to get me through until my birthday in 3 weeks as I drop a lot of hints of owning my own GPS one day! (Are you reading this honey? :) )

I cannot begin to tell you all what a great time I had today!

So, My wife, ten month old son and I head to a river with a public park, where there are two caches. We went with ArdentEnthusiast, his wife, and their 16 month old daughter. Today was the first time for any of us went on a geocache hunt. ArdentEnthusiast just bought a GPS this morning from a guy off of ebay, and it's the only GPS between the two of us.

So we are looking for the cache, trying to figure the GPS out, and totally coming to a loss on the legitimacy of the GPS coordinates, as we simply cannot find the cache anywhere. After some time our wives want to get going, kids have to take naps, etc, so we head home. Both of us resolved to find a cache, we drop off our wives, head to a park closer to my house, and we make our first find. It was awesome! It is almost surreal looking for a cache while regular people walk right by completely oblivious to this hidden world. These cahces are right in the middle of places people go everyday. It's something else.

Ardent then goes home, and lends me his GPS so I can go back to the river to find the other two caches. You can only imagine how thrilled I was when I found the originally elusive cache! And it hasd some great SWAG, including a free bowling game, a PBA card, a travel bug, and other cool things. (I didnt make any trades, as I decided ahead of time I just wanted to see how the game works, before I decide what to bring for trades.

The third cache was by far the most dificult. It took me nearly 40 minutes, but man, that just made finding it all the sweeter! I absolutely love this game, and am seriously hooked. I am already thinking of some places I can make some caches myself... including a spot on the bay near my house that you can only get to with a paddle.

BTW, I love the community here, and I look forward to getting to know some of you better as I get into geocaching!

And it gets better and better. There are several different challenges you can get into. There is the DeLorme Challenge, county challenges, and here in Ky there is a covered bridge challenge. I love that one, takes you across the state to all the different covered bridge. Once you get some more experience, look into the different challenges in your area. Have fun!!!