Who's coming to Mega 2010 ?

Bob, are the midgies fierce and numerous round there? An honest answer please - it's going to make the difference as to whether I risk camping, or try and find a B&B / hotel. And how much I'll invest in insect repellant and hats with nets on them...

I did the West Highland Way a few years back and I can still remember the agony of trying to pitch a tent whilst being attacked by the evil little critters.

Bob, are the midgies fierce and numerous round there? An honest answer please - it's going to make the difference as to whether I risk camping, or try and find a B&B / hotel. And how much I'll invest in insect repellant and hats with nets on them...

I did the West Highland Way a few years back and I can still remember the agony of trying to pitch a tent whilst being attacked by the evil little critters.

I think a truly honest answer is that you can't tell so far in advance. You can look at the Midge Forecast Site but this won't be up and running again until they become a nuisance, and is only forecast-able as far into the future as a few days, just like the weather.

It is believed that due to the severe winter that billions of midges died due to the severe frost, meaning we may have a better summer as far as midges are concerned.

Apparently those people who like Marmite and eat it daily for at least a week before coming in contact with midges will be left alone, but that may be an old wives tale. What does work is Avon Skin So Soft, you have to keep applying it to exposed skin, but it will stop them from biting you.

At the equivalent hashing mega event, "Nash Hash 2009" held at Perth racecourse last year, I was assured by the organiser that global warming had cured the Scotlandshire midge problem and that they had all been eaten by the mossies.

I didn't believe him ................. I think they all drowned. :ph34r:

The east coast midges are nowhere near as bad as anything you will have seen on the WHW.

Yes, we still get them near to water if there is no breeze but they are manageable (Avon skin so soft will discourage them - on the west coast a suit of titanium armour would fail to stop them!)

The campsite is far enough away from the closest area of water (Loch Leven) to minimise the amount of midges flying about.

Apparently those people who like Marmite and eat it daily for at least a week before coming in contact with midges will be left alone, but that may be an old wives tale.

Another one I have heard of is garlic capsules - haven't tried it myself but there are some who swear by it...

OK so that's marmite (just as well I like it) garlic - lots of curries& garlic bread ( but not together [:ph34r:]) and who has as an Avon catalogue????

So you'll smell, 50% of the population won't like you but you'll have lovely soft skin!!!!

looking forward to Scotland midgies or not!! LOL

Helen can't make any promises....... but East coast midges (if there are any .... ) are big girls blouses compared to the West Highland Way variety .... :ph34r:

Campsite is well away from water and trees ..... the 2 breeding grounds for the wee darlings ..

Be brave

OK so that's marmite (just as well I like it) garlic - lots of curries& garlic bread ( but not together [:ph34r:]) and who has as an Avon catalogue????

So you'll smell, 50% of the population won't like you but you'll have lovely soft skin!!!!

looking forward to Scotland midgies or not!! LOL

Marmite... Love it.. Curries love them.. GARLIC BREAD!!! Mmmm

And MrsY is an Avon Lady... oooo :ph34r:

OK so that's marmite (just as well I like it) garlic - lots of curries& garlic bread ( but not together [:)]) and who has as an Avon catalogue????

Lol.............. Remind me to stay away from you two!

I'll be there with my eldest nephew, only been in bonny Scotland once when I spent a weekend in Edinburgh.

p.s. Mollyjak - I can bring one to the next Mega Wales meeting! lol