Geocoins

MichelleW

Our children love geocaching, but get a little despondent by constantly having to give away the 'treasure' they find. They both love travelbugs and geocoins and we have maps for them to trace the progress of those they've released. However, it would be great if they could start to form a collection from their finds; if we check the geocoin site and ensure that the owners don't have a problem with it, can some be kept?

Geocoins are personal property meant to travel just like Travel Bugs. If you take a geocoin that is owned by someone else and keep it, that is thievery.

I suppose if you ensure that the owners don't mind, you could keep it. But I highly highly highly doubt any geocoin owner would be okay with that.

If you're kids want a collection of geocoins, you can always buy your own. There are some cool sites out there that sell some pretty cool looking coins.

As the previous poster stated, the objective of geocoins and travel bugs is that they are moved from cache to cache, by keeping it, you are defeating the objective of that coin or travel bug, if your children like collecting coins or travel bugs, check out any website where they sell them and purchase your own, you don't have to "activate" them and can place them in folders or on display stands.

Pretty harsh response to your first post huh? Anyway I don't know that much about Geocoins etc and travel bugs so I don't mess with them. Some of the larger caches have stuff for kids to trade but there is a lot of junk in them. Hope you are able to keep your children interested as it seems like a great family hobby. Few things are able to keep familys out doors and together now days. Happy hunting.

Pretty harsh response to your first post huh? Anyway I don't know that much about Geocoins etc and travel bugs so I don't mess with them. Some of the larger caches have stuff for kids to trade but there is a lot of junk in them. Hope you are able to keep your children interested as it seems like a great family hobby. Few things are able to keep familys out doors and together now days. Happy hunting.

I thought it was a bit harsh too! We've faithfully released everything we've found up to now, but I wanted to check if there were any coins that it would be OK to collect. We still love it and we will carry on tracking our own bugs as the children love to do that, and create some more of our own caches.

we have maps for them to trace the progress of those they've released

That’s the best way to handle it.

The coins in caches are active game pieces, which people placed to add a little fun and interest to the game. Geocoins are world travelers, some have been moving for months or years, and have logs and photos of all the places they’ve been.

You can buy or trade for some great unactivated coins at Geocaching events (see your region forum), or at many online shops. I’d suggest allowing a coin to continue traveling for as long as it can. If your kids want their own, have them save up for it (get some Geocoins for as little as $5 retail). But don’t be surprised if they want to release their coin to travel.

There are trackable coins which you are allowed to keep. One is called a "Pathtag". I know this seems confusing if you're not familiar with it. I'm confused just by typing it. :) But once you see one, you'll know what it is, and can tell it apart from a Geocoin. Bear in mind that the only reason you find a Pathtag is because the last person was nice enough to leave it there.

There are also collectible coins that have no tracking, which you can "trade up or even" and keep. But be careful with that -- some Geocoins have extremely tiny tracking numbers which are hard to notice. When in doubt, it's usually best to leave a coin in the container.

Edited by kunarion

I thought it was a bit harsh too! We've faithfully released everything we've found up to now, but I wanted to check if there were any coins that it would be OK to collect. We still love it and we will carry on tracking our own bugs as the children love to do that, and create some more of our own caches.

I didn't see the responses as harsh at all, just factual.

There are some exceptions their responses. If the coin is not trackable (meaning that there is no tracking number on it) then it is not a traveler and can be collected (unless there is a note accompanying it stating otherwise). Some people will leave unactivated trackable coins in caches and those are considered to be gifts and can be collected.

Pathtags are similar to geocoins but are smaller and can be identified by a small hole drilled in each one. Pathtags are not trackable on this website, but can be tracked on the Pathtag website. Collecting Pathtags is considered acceptable.

The best way to build up a collection of geocoins is to buy them. Ebay is a good source. Another good way is to have your own minted, then you can trade them with other people. Sometimes they are given away at events.

This is actually kind of funny...

First of all, I didn't notice any "harshness" presented by any of the postings. Maybe because I am a crusty ol' codger.

While I understand that with newcomers, some of the aspects of geocaching can be a little confusing. We were somewhat confused when we started. BUT, before going out and actually caching, we read all we could about it, first through books then through the geocaching website. We read it all, then we read it all again, and again, just so we could get a grasp on the different aspects and trying to figure out just what things used in the game where.

One of the early discoveries while reading all that information was that there were "travelers". We didn't initially understand the concept, and because of that, we read up specifically about travelers, primarily Travel Bugs and geocoins. In nearly every tidbit of information was a statement that read (paraphrased): [Travel Bugs and geocoins are not SWAG. They are meant to be moved (to another cache), and not intended to be traded or kept]. Actually it was later that we found out that they were another persons personal property. We did however, understand and accept the idea that they were not meant to be kept.

(Here is where my crassness creeps in -- please don't take direct offense)

Part of the problems encountered by newcomers, is that everybody many people use the term "treasure hunt" to describe geocaching. It is not a treasure hunt (like looking for gold, rubies or diamonds), it never was! If you want a treasure hunt, get a metal detector and sweep for coins, rings and the like at a beach or on the carnival grounds after it moves along.

Geocaching is a recreation, a hunt, a trip, a hike and a personal challenge all wrapped into one. TRADING (not finding "treasure") is a sideline, not the object of the game.

A lot of geocoins (less so with Travel Bugs) come up missing. Primarily because they are most nearly works of art, and most are unique and beautiful. In my opinion, this happens MOSTLY because of exactly what was asked in the OP. Because children -- even 50 and 60 year old "children" -- decided to keep those nice coins they find. They just cannot bear to leave them, or at least let them travel as intended. Hence, they steal them. Yes, I said steal them. It is thievery, nothing more and nothing less. Not unlike taking a car just because it was parked somewhere, a bicycle leaned against the playground fence or a piece of candy on a store shelf.

If you and your children want to collect geocoins, I would certainly support that, but I cannot fathom why you cannot help them acquire your/their own rather than want to take and keep other peoples' property.

<remainder of rant deleted prior to posting>

Sure glad I opened this topic. We just found our first cache this past weekend. When I say we, I'm talking about my family. Our very first find had a geocoin and that is what we all chose to keep. We figured we would keep it as a good luck charm and take it with us on all of our future adventures. I will now release this coin back into the world by placing it across the country on our family vacation in July. Some lucky cacher will find a Zombie coin between Minnesota and Washington :)

Sure glad I opened this topic. We just found our first cache this past weekend. When I say we, I'm talking about my family. Our very first find had a geocoin and that is what we all chose to keep. We figured we would keep it as a good luck charm and take it with us on all of our future adventures. I will now release this coin back into the world by placing it across the country on our family vacation in July. Some lucky cacher will find a Zombie coin between Minnesota and Washington :D

But...

You need to log the geocoin as retrieved from the cache. Your profile shows no such activity. :)

Unfortunately, I put two geocoins in my only hide and within days, one came up missing and has still not been logged. I really hate this because I really don't know of a way to get it out of my cache inventory. I just wish whoever took it would log it and keep it moving. :)

Unfortunately, I put two geocoins in my only hide and within days, one came up missing and has still not been logged. I really hate this because I really don't know of a way to get it out of my cache inventory. I just wish whoever took it would log it and keep it moving. :)

Go to your coins page and log it as missing. If someone decides to put it back in the game and logs it into another cache it will pop out of missing status.

Sure glad I opened this topic. We just found our first cache this past weekend. When I say we, I'm talking about my family. Our very first find had a geocoin and that is what we all chose to keep. We figured we would keep it as a good luck charm and take it with us on all of our future adventures. I will now release this coin back into the world by placing it across the country on our family vacation in July. Some lucky cacher will find a Zombie coin between Minnesota and Washington :)

Actually you could keep the coin, sort of, and dip it into and out caches as you travel. I have one that an airline pilot does that with. That sucker is racking up the miles. Dipping is logging the coin into the cache and then immediately retrieving it back out.

Oh, and by the way, geocoins and travel bugs are *not* swag items. You don't need to swap for travelers. And feel free to take one or several even though the cache owner says you can only take one if you leave one and you only one at a time. The cache owner does not own the travelers and they can't put the rules on them.

Edited by jholly

Go to your coins page and log it as missing. If someone decides to put it back in the game and logs it into another cache it will pop out of missing status.

Problem is, it isn't my coin. It was one I retrieved from another cache and placed it in my cache. Is there a way to get it out of my cache's inventory?

Thanks.

Problem is, it isn't my coin. It was one I retrieved from another cache and placed it in my cache. Is there a way to get it out of my cache's inventory?

Thanks.

Yes on your cache page click on the traveler on your cache inventory. This will take you to the travelers page where on the upper right you have the choice to mark it missing.

Thanks.

Yes on your cache page click on the traveler on your cache inventory. This will take you to the travelers page where on the upper right you have the choice to mark it missing.

Thank You. I feel bad for the owner and also that this happened in my cache. Hope it works out well in the end.

Why not have them collect something else from their finds such as signature items? Make it a game to see if they can find the profile of the cachers that left them.

Now that is a good idea! We could track where visitors to a cache have come from. I think this would be really good fun for them - many thanks for the idea.

OOOOP's ... I used the wrong words again. It's not a coin at all. As I did goto the web site and logged the number on the back of it the first day we got it, but I guess I was confused with the terms again. pathtag.com is where I had to log the number ... Should this show up on my profile as well? You can see where I logged it at GC1PZA3

Sorry, just another one of those newbies here! :)

OOOOP's ... I used the wrong words again. It's not a coin at all. As I did goto the web site and logged the number on the back of it the first day we got it, but I guess I was confused with the terms again. pathtag.com is where I had to log the number ... Should this show up on my profile as well? You can see where I logged it at GC1PZA3

Looks like it may be a pathtag. The previous cacher to you noted leaving one (The Zombie Geocacher).

Pathtags are meant to be kept or moved. They are signature items. Actually are fun to collect, especially when obtained in a face-to-face trade. You can log it online at the website noted on the pathtag itself. It however, will not show up on geocaching.com. :D There are some pretty unique designs floating about out there!

EDIT: Pathtags and geocoins can be confusing at times, especially to new cachers, occasionally old cachers, too! Lots to learn in a new hobby, eh?

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Pathtags do not show up on geocaching.com since they are outside of this web site. Another thing that won't show up is digitalfish. And wooden nickels are always fun. There are a number of custom sig items floating around, some of which can be found on sigitem.com. Again these won't show up on your profile. But speaking of profiles, even if you don't take the coin or bug you can discover it and have the icon show up on your profile.

And there is a site for the sigitems.

Edited by jholly

Several things come to mind about it.

Take a picture of your children with the cache at the exact location you found it.

Take a picture of your children with just the bugs/coins.

I think taking pictures is easier than collecting the bugs or coins because you can put these all in different scrapbooks for them to take with them as adults. Each gets their own copy which won't be lost like a coin or bug. :ph34r: Plus it's less expensive than buying new coins or bugs and the ones you find keep on traveling! :ph34r:

Take a picture of your children with the cache at the exact location you found it.

But NEVER post that picture. In addition if the cache is custom made or well cammo'ed most cache owners will take a very dim view of pictures being posted in the logs.

But NEVER post that picture. In addition if the cache is custom made or well cammo'ed most cache owners will take a very dim view of pictures being posted in the logs.

But if the photo isn't a spoiler for the cache (if it doesn't give away the location or perhaps better yet if it leads people astray that want to use it) it is fine to post it, but be careful not to show the tracking number of the coin in the process. That may cause other problems for the coin owner.

Why not have them collect something else from their finds such as signature items? Make it a game to see if they can find the profile of the cachers that left them.

Now that is a good idea! We could track where visitors to a cache have come from. I think this would be really good fun for them - many thanks for the idea.

It is a really good idea. I've been collecting signature items for a couple of years now. I have a biiiiigg book full of them. It's so much fun to look back at all the ones I've found. Also, your kids will probably love making signature items of their own to put in caches for trading.

Happy caching :ph34r:

Happy Happy Happy ~ The kids and I really did find our first coin today :ph34r: It is mint! And after reading where it has been, I cant wait to release it. We went for a short ride and hit 7 caches today. (OOOOP's)(Coin #) Will be released back to a "New (Fish'n & Hunt'n) cache some time tomorrow. I have been planning this hide all week. It will have a fishing pole to use and leave there for the next visitor. And also a duck call. Located on a river that I grew up on. I think this will be a great place to let this coin go along with all of the fish that have been tossed back and future fish that will bring a smile to fellow cachers faces IF they can find this hide. I can't wait for tomorrow.

Edited by KevinWinkler

It is really bad to post the tracking number publicly. Could you edit your post and use the TB number instead? As an example of what can happen when the tracking number is publicly available take a look at TBKFF4. I can assure you that that little duck traveled all over the place while it was tucked in my bag. And it was not places I or my bag went.

When you find a geocoin and upload the information on your profile, you technically do "keep" it, although it's completely virtual. Your kids might actually enjoy seeing a long list of all your finds on the website, even if they can't actually hold the geocoin in their hands.

Heck yeah! I collect sig items like a kid collects baseball cards. :ph34r:

Actually you could keep the coin, sort of, and dip it into and out caches as you travel. I have one that an airline pilot does that with. That sucker is racking up the miles. Dipping is logging the coin into the cache and then immediately retrieving it back out.

That's pretty poor etiquette. Travels are meant to travel - while an airline pilot certainly does lots of that, a cacher shouldn't hold onto a coin for more than a couple of weeks without permission from the owner (and neither should the pilot, even if t's doubtful anyone would refuse him/her). I doubt that the coins owner intended for the coin to bounce from cache to cache in the same city indefinitely.