My Carbon Footprint

If it wasn't for geocaching, I wouldn't have collected three trash bags of trash off the side of the road today. I like to think we're doing more good than harm. ;)

I'll blame Dave either way, how's that? That make everyone happy? :unsure:

You know, that may very well be true. But all too often I get the distinct impression that geocachers think that that cito thing is the end all and be all equalizer of all things related to geocaching. That somehow geocachers are due some sort of special dispensation.

I suppose you could look at it that way, but there's not a whole lot else directly related to geocaching that is also earth-friendly. We use batteries and put plastic in the wild to degrade and use up who knows how much gasoline while playing this game. CITO may not "equal the score" but it's certainly better than nothing, and judging by the amount of trash I find at caches, CITO is certainly not the norm. I'm going to start putting bags and disposable latex gloves in my caches with a note saying, "Latex gloves and bags supplied in the event you would like to CITO (Cache In, Trash Out)."

Anywho... seems to me that complaining about the carbon footprint you make while playing a game you choose to play is akin to complaining about gas prices... for your top fuel dragster.

Dave, since you're here, I have some questions if you don't mind.

I'm sure you've seen or heard of all the typical debates over wether signing the logbook is necessary to log a find. Do you have any opinion on this? Do you really care either way? Do you think it's just nonsense that has totally gotten away from the whole point of the game?

When you put out the first cache, did you think it was possible for someone to "DNF" it? If so, would you haven't wanted to know about the DNF or were you only interested in hearing from people who found it?

What do you think about Virtual caches/Waymarking?

In general, are you happy with the way things have thanspired since you placed the first cache? Unhappy? What would your 'state of the game' report sound like on the 10th anniversary?

Like all the others who have posted....Thank you!

Dave, since you're here, I have some questions if you don't mind.

I'm sure you've seen or heard of all the typical debates over wether signing the logbook is necessary to log a find. Do you have any opinion on this? Do you really care either way? Do you think it's just nonsense that has totally gotten away from the whole point of the game?

When you put out the first cache, did you think it was possible for someone to "DNF" it? If so, would you haven't wanted to know about the DNF or were you only interested in hearing from people who found it?

In general, are you happy with the way things have thanspired since you placed the first cache? Unhappy? What would your 'state of the game' report sound like on the 10th anniversary?

Like all the others who have posted....Thank you!

With the way you log cache finds on the website I think the log book in a cache is useless and redundant.

DNF's are a good report to judge coordinate accuracy and tree cover problems that may affect the cache.

I have always been a fan of virtuals and Waymarking instead of placing actual cache boxes.

I think the website is great and the sport seems to be going well. When something goes bad, I expect they will blame me. But, then I am real good at taking blame...

Cache-On!

Dave...

<snip>

<snip>

<snip

I have always been a fan of virtuals and Waymarking instead of placing actual cache boxes.

<snip>

Dave...

I remember reading a post from you where you presented a situation where a cache could be placed in a secluded location with one path in and surrounded by a meadow of sorts and that the geocache could lead to negative enviromental impacts from geocachers bushwacking to the cache.

Does this play a role in your preference for virtulas/waymarks over geocaches?

Do you have an opinion about geocaches being mistaken for bombs in urban enviroments? Does that play in a role in your reasoning of virtuals/waymarks over geocaches?

Sorry, Bigfoot... I don't think that I'm adding much to your footprint. We already did a lot of driving all over the state before we started geocaching. We did, however, buy a big ol' V8 powered Suburban that pumps out a good amount of CO2, so that helps. :P

Thanks for popping in on the 10 year anniversary and giving forum dwellers a little treat.

Edited by Team Black-Cat

I remember reading a post from you where you presented a situation where a cache could be placed in a secluded location with one path in and surrounded by a meadow of sorts and that the geocache could lead to negative enviromental impacts from geocachers bushwacking to the cache.

Does this play a role in your preference for virtulas/waymarks over geocaches?

Do you have an opinion about geocaches being mistaken for bombs in urban enviroments? Does that play in a role in your reasoning of virtuals/waymarks over geocaches?

Yes, I think environmental damage is less with virtuals because you are finding a larger area rather than a tiny spot where a container is located.

Cache boxes are for kids. Kids love the idea of finding a treasure and geocaching would not be nearly as attractive to them if all were virtual or waymarked places.

I am concerned at how easy it would be to booby trap a few cache boxes with bombs. Some terrorist could easily do this and shut the whole geocaching game down in a day.

Dave...

I am concerned at how easy it would be to booby trap a few cache boxes with bombs. Some terrorist could easily do this and shut the whole geocaching game down in a day.

Dave...

Think about it this way Dave...

Bomb making and transporting is very VERY dangerous. It is unlikely that geocaching would be targeted in this way, because the purpose of a bomb is to kill as many people as possible in high traffic areas of dense population centers. Geocachers are too small of a target for actual terrorism.

I've given the eco-terrorist angle some thought and more likely an eco-terrorist would go for the geocaching databases and with this site being the 800 pound gorilla, it would be the prime target. Still, it's seems pretty far fetched and if Groundspeak has a good data recovery plan that would just be a hiccup as the recent fire at Groundspeak's server farm proved to be.

Any other type of targeting of geocaches/geocachers would be predatory in nature and isolated to one area or region and thus be ineffective in shutting geocaching down as a worldwide activity.

Hey Dave, this pic is for you:

8d455c75-b878-4b58-8a4b-a2ed616d020a.jpg

I'm the guy on the left hand side of the zero with the green towl on his head.

Edited by Snoogans

I admit that I don't know much if anything about the origins of the game, but Dave your preference for virtuals and waymarks comes as a total surprise! How different this game would have been!

I'm boycotting avoiding Waymarking.com until I can get nearest waymarks in a PQ along with geocaches, but I do like the idea of waymarks and preferred to hunt virtuals when they were listed.

When Waymarking.com first came out I really thought that it would absorb geocaching.com and geocaches would be one category of waymark. Once they get the Waymarking site fully functional and more easily usable I think some convergence like that should still happen.

Thank you for braving this forum; for seven years I have wondered what you thought about what geocaching became and what you would like to see done differently.

Thanks for sharing!

Hey Dave....great to hear you're still out there. My wife and I have been in love with this stuff over 7 years now.

A couple of years ago we did your #1 in Oregon.....come see me in New Orleans, I work at my View Carre' cache ( GCE02C ).....we'll shower you with gifts and go find a few if you like.Regarding gas I used over 400 gallons on one trip alone ( out to Oregon) at I must be around 90,000 miles cache to cache so about 5300 gallons total.

Thank You for the excellent contribution to my Carbon Footprint!

Keep up the good work!

Dave...

Take him up on that offer Dave. View Carre' is the most unique cache experience I've ever had. I was there before Katrina hit and I plan to go back some day....

For a small sampling of what you got started check out this thread - http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=248319

Those smiling people from around the world enjoying the fruits of your idea should give you a warm fuzzy. We are the real result of this game! :)

I got some fruit for ya. My FB status in Dave's honor for today: :P:D:)

Happy 10th Birthday Geocaching! (the verb not the website) Thanks to 3 Dollar Bill turning off selective availability to civilian GPS receivers you were born, in Oregon, on this day, 10 years ago, when Dave Ulmer hid the original GPS Stash. YAY!!! I wonder how many kids besides my very own have been a direct result? ;-)

Edited by Snoogans

For a small sampling of what you got started check out this thread - http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=248319

Those smiling people from around the world enjoying the fruits of your idea should give you a warm fuzzy. We are the real result of this game! :)

I got some fruit for ya. My FB status in Dave's honor for today: :P:D:)

Happy 10th Birthday Geocaching! (the verb not the website) Thanks to 3 Dollar Bill turning off selective availability to civilian GPS receivers you were born, in Oregon, on this day, 10 years ago, when Dave Ulmer hid the original GPS Stash. YAY!!! I wonder how many kids besides my very own have been a direct result? ;-)

Your kids are not be the only ones who are a direct result of something Clinton did...

And I'll bet Ulmer would be proud to know how much dalliance in the woods his idea led to! :)

And I'll bet Ulmer would be proud to know how much dalliance in the woods his idea led to! :)

I don't know if you remember, but I started a thread that got hidden or deleted about that very subject. I was looking for a term for geocaching's version of The Mile High Club. :P:D:)

One version of Murphy's Law is that anything that can happen, will.

We've had in just the recent past Paul Repak's 10-year crusade to steal geocaches result in his arrest, and there is an active thread here about a blogger in the Northwest US who continues to steal caches in the name of Eco-whatever. The leap from stealing caches to booby-trapping them is not a big one.

It's easy for me to see how someone with a grudge against geocaching could seriously disrupt this game and cost us a lot of land use by placing just a few caches with evil intent. They wouldn't even have to really hurt anyone; just a few chemical stink bombs that spatter geocachers with goo when caches are opened and the press could bring getting new cache permission to its knees.

The leap from stealing caches to booby-trapping them is not a big one.

Actually, the leap is rather large from petty theft (in the geocaching context) to intentional harm.

I'd say the risk is no greater today than it was 10 years ago. :P

It's easy for me to see how someone with a grudge against geocaching could seriously disrupt this game and cost us a lot of land use by placing just a few caches with evil intent. They wouldn't even have to really hurt anyone; just a few chemical stink bombs that spatter geocachers with goo when caches are opened and the press could bring getting new cache permission to its knees.

Doubtful. An instance such as this would be isolated and have very little effect on worldwide geocache permissions. :D

One more question Dave if you don't mind.

Do you have any opinion on the Trail of the Gods power trail and/or the world record attempts for most caches found in a 24 hour period?

Seems silly, but its OK with me.

I have been encouraged to see that after 10 years the GPS manufacturers have finally recognized geocaching as a major use of their products and started developing built-in geocaching applications.

I haven't been keeping up lately but there is one hardware feature I always wanted them to build into GPS units.

Call it Geo-Proof, a way to securely prove that a certain GPS unit and person with passcode actually went to a certain coordinate location at a recorded time and date. From what I know there could already be something like this out there. This feature would be good for proving that people actually completed geocaching finds and adventures as recorded.

Dave...

I have been encouraged to see that after 10 years the GPS manufacturers have finally recognized geocaching as a major use of their products and started developing built-in geocaching applications.

I haven't been keeping up lately but there is one hardware feature I always wanted them to build into GPS units.

Call it Geo-Proof, a way to securely prove that a certain GPS unit and person with passcode actually went to a certain coordinate location at a recorded time and date. From what I know there could already be something like this out there. This feature would be good for proving that people actually completed geocaching finds and adventures as recorded.

Dave...

Ummm, yeah.... I see allll kinds of privacy issues with that. :P:D:)

In post #53 you said:

"With the way you log cache finds on the website I think the log book in a cache is useless and redundant." which I took to mean that you advocated trusting cachers and accepting an online post as sufficient proof of an actual find.

Here you suggest that a GPS Geo-Proof feature to record pass-codes (which made me think of perhaps something like a UPC scanner built into the GPS and a printed UPC label in the cache instead of a log book to sign?) would serve as proof of a find.

I interpreted the first comment about logbook redundancy to mean that online signatures were sufficient, and the second comment to indicate that there should be some way to better verify a find than a logbook.

Given those conflicting interpretations how should caches be logged?

I totally dig the pass-code idea. So many of us cache with PDAs and Smartphones today and more GPSrs are adopting PDA-like features, so recording the pass-code rather than writing in a logbook makes perfect sense. Yes, some folks would give the pass-code to others for armchair logging, but should we really care?

I totally dig the pass-code idea. So many of us cache with PDAs and Smartphones today and more GPSrs are adopting PDA-like features, so recording the pass-code rather than writing in a logbook makes perfect sense. Yes, some folks would give the pass-code to others for armchair logging, but should we really care?

I don't think we should care, but by extension, we shouldn't worry about verifying finds anyway.

As someone still happy with my old yellow eTrex and, occasionally, pre-GPS methods of navigating, I wouldn't like this.

The logbook is only redundant for those of us who log online. It's well-known that many cachers do not, but they do like to write their experiences in the logbook. And with automatic logging, few people would even write as much as "TFTC" online anymore.

No, I have to disagree. This would de-personalize the game to a huge degree.

I don't think we should care, but by extension, we shouldn't worry about verifying finds anyway.

As someone still happy with my old yellow eTrex and, occasionally, pre-GPS methods of navigating, I wouldn't like this.

The logbook is only redundant for those of us who log online. It's well-known that many cachers do not, but they do like to write their experiences in the logbook. And with automatic logging, few people would even write as much as "TFTC" online anymore.

Thanks Dinoprophet, your insight is as always valuable and I appreciate your sharing it, but this thread is a rare opportunity to ask Ulmer for his opinions and that's whose answer I hope to get!

I don't want him to abandon this thread because we started talking among ourselves instead of with him. :P

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Thanks Dinoprophet, your insight is as always valuable and I appreciate your sharing it, but this thread is a rare opportunity to ask Ulmer for his opinions and that's whose answer I hope to get!

I don't want him to abandon this thread because we started talking among ourselves instead of with him. :P

Sorry, you're right. Yes, this is interesting, and I'm glad Dave's responses have been so detailed.

Thank you, Dave!

Edited by Dinoprophet

Is he really that sensitive?

It cracks me up that he claims to be responsible for what geocaching has become. Granted, he was the first one to come up with the idea, and it was a really great idea! But he didn't contribute to the success of the game, or to the website, after that. As far as I've heard (I admit I wasn't there so I don't know if it's true) he's claimed he dislikes what the game has become and would love to see all physical caches be removed due to their environmental impact.

Or maybe I'm just being the sensitive one.

I don't want him to abandon this thread because we started talking among ourselves instead of with him. :D

Is he really that sensitive?

It cracks me up that he claims to be responsible for what geocaching has become. Granted, he was the first one to come up with the idea, and it was a really great idea! But he didn't contribute to the success of the game, or to the website, after that. As far as I've heard (I admit I wasn't there so I don't know if it's true) he's claimed he dislikes what the game has become and would love to see all physical caches be removed due to their environmental impact.

Or maybe I'm just being the sensitive one.

Think of it this way.... I bet Oprah's dad is real sorry he didn't keep in touch.... But he's STILL her dad. :P

Think of it this way.... I bet Oprah's dad is real sorry he didn't keep in touch.... But he's STILL her dad. :P

No doubt.

And I think Dave had a GREAT idea and I'm glad he made it pubic. I've gotten lots and lots of enjoyment as a result of it. Thanks for the idea Dave!!

And also a big thanks to Jeremy for the 7 years of geocaching I've enjoyed since finding out about the game back in 2003!!!

Carbon footprint?

How about all the shoes and clothing I've gone through? Time for another pair of sturdy day-hiking shoes (whatever happened to replaceable shoe soles?)

(To say nothing of all the bean burritos consumed during and pints of ale imbibed after caching runs.)

Edited by DragonsWest

At this Tenth Anniversary of Geocaching I wonder how many people realize that I created the most energy intensive sport on the planet. Geocachers driving from cache to cache consume large amounts of fuel and create a huge carbon footprint.

Do I need an award for creating the biggest carbon footprint on the planet?

Just think how much fuel Geocachers will burn in the Next Ten Years!

Cache-On!

Dave Ulmer - Inventor of Geocaching

P.S. Just call me Big Foot !

I hope that you didn't get injured patting yourself on the back. If so, I know a really good orthopod.

Yes, Thank you Dave.

I think that you are a visionary and knew this would grow but did you expect the idea to grow to such a scale? What do you think about the fact that your first hide has become sort of a mecca where pilgrimages actually take place.

:P

Don't Blame yourself Dave - Blame Henry Ford.

He constructed a car of resin stiffened hemp fiber, and even ran the car on ethanol made from hemp... Just like what we all use today to get around :D

Ideas change over time, but it's unlikely Ford could have foreseen the modern world through his ideas.

PS - If anyone needs a horse, i know a guy.. :P

At this Tenth Anniversary of Geocaching I wonder how many people realize that I created the most energy intensive sport on the planet. Geocachers driving from cache to cache consume large amounts of fuel and create a huge carbon footprint.

Do I need an award for creating the biggest carbon footprint on the planet?

Just think how much fuel Geocachers will burn in the Next Ten Years!

Cache-On!

Dave Ulmer - Inventor of Geocaching

P.S. Just call me Big Foot !

That's OK Dave, you don't have to feel bad. The way I understand it, someone else would have hidden the first one within just a few days anyway. Thank you though.

Yes, Thank you Dave.

I think that you are a visionary and knew this would grow but did you expect the idea to grow to such a scale? What do you think about the fact that your first hide has become sort of a mecca where pilgrimages actually take place.

Mecca? HaHa!

I wonder if I would visit there if someone else had invented geocaching.

In my mind geocaching is such a minor invention compared to my real biggie that I call ISSU (intelligent system specification unit). That's the one I spend all my days working on and thinking about.

Haven't actually geocached in years but I do use GPS almost every day.

Love my SPOT.

Dave...

Dave,

Thank you for the creation of this fun game we all play. I know even though I just started that I have had fun doing it.

What I want to know is how do you envision the coming path that the game will take? Where do you see it going from the point we are at right now?

Thanks,

Ian

Dave,

What I want to know is how do you envision the coming path that the game will take?

Where do you see it going from the point we are at right now?

Thanks,

Ian

Good Questions!

Geocaching was designed to be a complete and fully functional living intelligent system. As is the nature of intelligent systems they will try and acquire as many understanding engines as possible and use just as much energy as is available. It is when the energy resources become scarce that the system will limit its growth. So far there is no such limit in sight and I expect geocaching to continue its rapid growth.

Intelligent systems are judged by how much energy they use. The Intelligent System of America currently enjoys the status of largest consumer of energy but China may soon if not already take that crown.

What usually destroys an intelligent systems is either TRUE or FALSE knowledge that contradicts the systems core beliefs and corrupts its operational procedures. Geocaching could fail and die on some simple truth about a flaw in its core procedures that couldn't be corrected.

I can't predict the future of any intelligent system but I am a keen observer of how knowledge effects these systems. It will be fun to watch.

Dave...

As a relative noob to the forums and not so frequent denizen, I have to ask...

I this really the real Dave and not a clever sock? I mean no disrepect, but some things seem curious to me. Not an accuasation, just a simple question.

I await the inevitable pile-on....

As a relative noob to the forums and not so frequent denizen, I have to ask...

I this really the real Dave and not a clever sock? I mean no disrepect, but some things seem curious to me. Not an accuasation, just a simple question.

I await the inevitable pile-on....

Who's sock puppet are you? :wacko:

Yeah, he's the one who hid that legendary bucket of trade items and started all this madness, without which, you and I wouldn't have been at Roaring Camp on Sunday, using sophisticated multi-million dollar navigation equipment to find a film canister in a hollow tree.

We'd probably be at home watching baseball and cursing the A's :D

Dave,

What I want to know is how do you envision the coming path that the game will take?

Where do you see it going from the point we are at right now?

Thanks,

Ian

Good Questions!

Geocaching was designed to be a complete and fully functional living intelligent system. As is the nature of intelligent systems they will try and acquire as many understanding engines as possible and use just as much energy as is available. It is when the energy resources become scarce that the system will limit its growth. So far there is no such limit in sight and I expect geocaching to continue its rapid growth.

Intelligent systems are judged by how much energy they use. The Intelligent System of America currently enjoys the status of largest consumer of energy but China may soon if not already take that crown.

What usually destroys an intelligent systems is either TRUE or FALSE knowledge that contradicts the systems core beliefs and corrupts its operational procedures. Geocaching could fail and die on some simple truth about a flaw in its core procedures that couldn't be corrected.

I can't predict the future of any intelligent system but I am a keen observer of how knowledge effects these systems. It will be fun to watch.

Dave...

Thats a very interseting answer. I guess I never really thought of the game as an intelligent system. I can see where you are coming from though. The game while having certain set parameters is itself an ever evolving system that changes with its environment and input from the people who play it.

How do you feel abut the use of non-traditional GPS units being used as they will usually provide more false data into the system than they do true data.

Who's sock puppet are you? :wacko:

As a member of the CIA I could tell you but then I'd have to... you know...

Yeah, he's the one who hid that legendary bucket of trade items and started all this madness, without which, you and I wouldn't have been at Roaring Camp on Sunday, using sophisticated multi-million dollar navigation equipment to find a film canister in a hollow tree.

And what a grand time it was!

I know the story of Dave. Some quirky things caught my so I thought I'd ask. Digging further the username does seem to belong to the real Dave.

We'd probably be at home watching baseball and cursing the A's :D

The A's? That's crazy talk, man. I'm a Cowboys fan!

While I appreciate Dave Ulmer coming into the forums and participating, and credit him for the game, I forsee future posts with arguments for or against the Guidelines and what they say or dont say, require or dont require, with quotes saying "well Dave said..."

"Dave wants virts back"

"Dave said signing the cache log is redundant"

ect...

edit-speeling

Edited by NeecesandNephews

I think of all the lbs caching has helped me loose.

All the lakes, mountains, trails I'd never have seen if it wasn't for caching.

And mostly, all the friends I've made that will be with me throughout the years.

That's worth a few pounds of carbon in my book.

Thanks for everything. :D

How do you feel abut the use of non-traditional GPS units being used as they will usually provide more false data into the system than they do true data.

I have no experience with non-traditional GPS units so I really can't comment. If they are indeed producing poor quality coordinate data that would be bad.

I guess that is just another point in favor of logging DNFs.

Dave...