Newbies to our forums

Kum bay ya, my Lord, kum bay ya

*** The preceding was intended to be humorous. As it will very likely fail at its intended goal, please accept my apologies ahead of time for wasting 10 seconds of your life.

"Offense taken ya freakin eye patch wearing peacenik pie rat hippy" yelled the eyeliner wearing freak.

Apologies ahead of time = I intend to offend and wish to deflect. :unsure:

I'm offended by eye patches AND eye liner. Meh.

Here's the thing. I don't know anyone from this thread personally. Wait, that's not true, I went to high school with Nymph. She said mean things about my relatives, or so she says. Either way, I don't know anyone else on this thread personally. I appreciate the humor that some of you put out, and I also appreciate the snark. It's an art, at least it it's done well.

I'm sorry, it's early, I'm tired and I have nothing else to do, but I have to be awake. Here's the jist. I like to think that even those of you (just one or two I think) I've gotten into cyber b******* contests with would be willing, if I were in the area, to take me out caching. I know you're all welcome up here. Put the same group of people in the same place for long enough, and rough things are going to be said. Real, online, family, neighbors, anyone anywhere. Newbies who get offended need to suck it up, I did and so did most of you. The old timers (I am not one, please don't mistake my tone for thinking I'm established here) do need to treat those same newbies a little bit nicer. Usually. No, sometimes...

Here you invisible and there is power in anonymity to a point.

Try attending a geocaching event where it seems everyone knows each other and it feels very clique-ish. I have attended two very recently (yesterday for the 10th anniversary) and for St. Patricks Day. The crowds are very large and honestly its not very welcoming/friendly. Granted I am shy and the other human 1/4 of our group is too and doesnt even try.

I think we have met maybe a dozen other geocachers while out on the trail.

For the longest time I have always felt that geocaches magicallly appear for me to find because I never see or meet others.

Back into the shadows for us.

I remember when I first started posting to the geocaching forum(s). I was greeted with snarky attitudes, especially by one particular individual.

You have to admit though, you seem to have one of the sharpest personalities here that often rubs folks the wrong way. I'm sure that plays into responses too.

I'd like to say "maybe it's just me" but I don't think* that is necessary. :unsure:

I have to admit that at first, I didnt know how to take Bittsen. I even went as far as getting mad and defensive and posted a direct attack on him out of anger. After clicking the post button, I read what I had posted and realized it was quite "over the top" and edited it. He had already read it ;) But, It started a dialogue between us that helped me understand that he just speaks his mind, isnt shy about it, and says what he feels. Now I read what he says in a different light, and with more understanding. Now I do not look at his honesty and directness in a negative way, but actually admire it. :D

People that are new here dont have that chance to learn our personalities. But if we temper our answers and dialogue with a bit of understanding, I think we could avoid this issue some. Then, after time, the occasional jab, or light-harted sarcasm wont be perceived as a personal attack.

I personally have grown to like all of you, though it took a little time to learn each of you as individuals, and not assume that all folks on here think or feel the same about everything "as you have a right to". Its been a learning experience, but a good one. B)

We too, as beginners, need to understand that we are among much more experienced players who take this game very seriously "for the good of the game". And that a direct answer is not an insult, but an answer that is direct.

Just try and hold off on the snark, or sarcasm will we get to know you better. Its less about being "thick skinned", but more about respect and common courtesy. :o We are all in this together. B)

Edited by chachi44089

Just for S&G, I did a search for "pocket query" and came up with absolutely nothing that was helpful.

So then I tried to do search for my phone, an HTC Hero, but that's not allowed, apparently the HTC is an issue and "hero" doesn't have enough characters. So THEN I tried "hero pocket query" and got this: One or all of your search keywords were below 5 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please go back and increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords.

Google it is, I suppose.

Try Googling "Markwell Pocket queries. There's also a pinned topic in the Getting Started forum.

I am so sick of someone posting something and then seeing a stinky comment about the search feature and posting 6 threads and the links that cover that persons question. Regulars know what I am talking about. Share the link to the answer instead of criticizing.

I think the links are helpful. It points people in the right direction. Kit Fox is the master at that. It's called "Markwelling". :unsure:

I don't have a problem with repeated questions by people new to Geocaching. I do have a problem with some one lashing out because of repeated questions. If it is frustrating then it would be better not to respond to the post. I also agree the search function on this site sux big time.

I have to admit that at first, I didnt know how to take Bittsen. I even went as far as getting mad and defensive and posted a direct attack on him out of anger. After clicking the post button, I read what I had posted and realized it was quite "over the top" and edited it. He had already read it :unsure: But, It started a dialogue between us that helped me understand that he just speaks his mind, isnt shy about it, and says what he feels. Now I read what he says in a different light, and with more understanding. Now I do not look at his honesty and directness in a negative way, but actually admire it. ;)

People that are new here dont have that chance to learn our personalities. But if we temper our answers and dialogue with a bit of understanding, I think we could avoid this issue some. Then, after time, the occasional jab, or light-harted sarcasm wont be perceived as a personal attack.

I personally have grown to like all of you, though it took a little time to learn each of you as individuals, and not assume that all folks on here think or feel the same about everything "as you have a right to". Its been a learning experience, but a good one. :D

We too, as beginners, need to understand that we are among much more experienced players who take this game very seriously "for the good of the game". And that a direct answer is not an insult, but an answer that is direct.

Just try and hold off on the snark, or sarcasm will we get to know you better. Its less about being "thick skinned", but more about respect and common courtesy. B) We are all in this together. :o

Nobody appreciates an honest opinion. Unfortunately I like to give my honest opinion. I've been in trouble a few times for telling someone I thought they were being stupid because they didn't want to hear the truth and was offended by it.

It's funny, really. When a woman asks if "these pants make my butt look big" they aren't asking for the truth. They want a specific response and if they don't get it they get mad and/or defensive.

It's a very similar thing with the forums. Most people just want their opinion to be echoed. They are typically closed off to the truth. And those of us who give an honest answer sometimes get punished for it.

Thanks for trying to understand me. Just know that I'm not one to temper a response to save the feelings of someone else. I think the truth is often like removing a band-aid. Do it fast with a logical lack of remorse and if you add some humor while doing it, all the better.

Now I do not look at his honesty and directness in a negative way, but actually admire it. :unsure:

Quit encouraging him.

*** This portion of my post is just a light hearted jab at Bittsen.

To heck with the newbies! We have enough cachers already. I say lock the doors now.

Amen!

*** This portion of my post takes into account the light colored text at the end of GOF's post.

Nobody appreciates an honest opinion.

Nobody appreciates an honest opinion.

*** This portion of my post is my lame attempt at humor based on Bittsen's echoing comment in the same post.

Nobody appreciates an honest opinion. Unfortunately I like to give my honest opinion. I've been in trouble a few times for telling someone I thought they were being stupid because they didn't want to hear the truth and was offended by it.

It's a very similar thing with the forums. Most people just want their opinion to be echoed. They are typically closed off to the truth. And those of us who give an honest answer sometimes get punished for it.

There is a huge difference between out honest opinion, and fact. Our honest opinion is our version of the facts, colored in a huge way by our pre- and mis- conceptions. Telling somebody that we thought they were being stupid is not telling them the truth, and should never be construed as such.
There is a huge difference between out honest opinion, and fact. Our honest opinion is our version of the facts, colored in a huge way by our pre- and mis- conceptions. Telling somebody that we thought they were being stupid is not telling them the truth, and should never be construed as such.

That's just the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You are being stupid.

*** Just joking with the 4 eyed dog. Don't call in the mods. It is not to be taken seriously. There is no truth in this post.

****** Well, there may be truth to the post, but I'm not stating as a truth. If you find truth in my post, it is purely coincidental.

Well said. There is this incomprehensible notion out there (especially on the interwebs) that truth is an affirmative defense to rudeness.

I really don't see the rampant newbie bashing that TAR is referring to. If someone comes here with an earnest question most forum regulars fall over themselves to help the person out. Sure once in a while you'll see that ridiculous popcorn icon, or someone will make a flip comment in an poor attempt at humor, but they are generally received well.

There are times that new visitors are jumped on and it usually occurs when:

- They set the tone with a negative, accusatory or belligerent OP.

- They are obvious trolls.

- They are sock puppets and not really newbies.

- They have little or no geocaching experience and are disposed to tell us what's wrong with the sport.

But if they come here and are sincere and polite they are almost always treated respectfully.

So.... allow me as a newbie to ask an annoying question.....

what

is

a

sock puppet?

I am assuming you do not mean the ones we made in preschool.

much respect ~ 5$

(the annoying part was the useless scrolling, I think the question was a fair one)

I really don't see the rampant newbie bashing that TAR is referring to. If someone comes here with an earnest question most forum regulars fall over themselves to help the person out. Sure once in a while you'll see that ridiculous popcorn icon, or someone will make a flip comment in an poor attempt at humor, but they are generally received well.

There are times that new visitors are jumped on and it usually occurs when:

- They set the tone with a negative, accusatory or belligerent OP.

- They are obvious trolls.

- They are sock puppets and not really newbies.

- They have little or no geocaching experience and are disposed to tell us what's wrong with the sport.

But if they come here and are sincere and polite they are almost always treated respectfully.

So.... allow me as a newbie to ask an annoying question.....

what is a sock puppet?

I am assuming you do not mean the ones we made in preschool.

much respect ~ 5$

(the annoying part was the useless scrolling, I think the question was a fair one)

A 2nd account used to hide their identity in the fourms. If you dont use it for posting here, then it is fine.

so, having one name over in geocaching website, and then registering a different name here?

hiding out?

I am not sure I get the point. I am not sure I need to get the point.

somethings are just best left a mystery.

thanks for the info!!

You've got it! Some people are afraid to reveal their identity (ie their real caching account) so they create a fake one so know one knows who they are when they post.

:)