off limit containers

None that are specifically off limits but plenty that are bad ideas.

Plastic garbage bags - bad.

Used Food containers - mostly bad.

Small length of pipe with ends - bad idea.

Galdware - very bad.

etc. etc. etc.

A good container is one that can stand up to the elements over time. Something with a good o-ring seal in it.

• Ammocans
  • lock-n-locks
  • bison tubes
  • waterproof matchstick containers
  • etc

I am thinking about hiding a few caches. I have never hidden any and was wondering if there are any types of containers that are off limits or that we are not allowed to use?

There are several types of containers that many people will suggest you not use for one reason or another. For every container that is generally maligned, there is a cacher that will tell you that in some conditions they are great.

You should probably avoid anything that resembles what the average viewer of "24" might confuse to be a bomb- tube shaped and capped on both ends (but I have found such caches).

In the case of ammo cans, you might want to consider removing the military markings or painting over them (but I have found them with the markings still in place).

Most cachers will suggest you avoid glass containers due to the mess they can leave and the dangers they can create (I've found them, but don't recommend them - others disagree).

Quite a few cachers will tell you to avoid film cans due to concerns with weather/water proofing and lack thereof (found plenty, some wet and some dry).

As far as the guidelines go, they are more geared towards the location than the container.

avoid anything that resembles what the average viewer of "24" might confuse to be a bomb- tube shaped and capped on both ends (but I have found such caches).

Yes, use common sense in your urban hides. When someone accidentally finds it, the ideal reaction should be “it's just a nice safe Geocache”.

And it depends on the location, so check for restrictions where you intend to place it. Some state parks require containers to be transparent.

I've heard many places are discouraging the large plastic paint-bucket style (which isn't the best outdoor container anyway). But there are exceptions, where a certain container will be perfect in one place and almost nowhere else. So if you've got a very unorthodox idea, check with a local reviewer.

Galdware - very bad.

etc. etc. etc.

To those I'll add:

Ziploc bags

Altoids tins

cookie tins

film canisters

prescription pill bottles

chinese/deli food containers

tackle and tool boxes

Sterlite storage boxes

Yougurt/margarine tubs

briefcases (yes I found one in a briefcase)

PVC pipe

Of course any of these can work if they are not exposed to the elements but that is usually not the case with geocaches.

Since bomb squads are in the news today, I will add caches that are covered with circuit boards (one like that closed a major highway for hours not too far from where I live when the squad came out to check it out) or those that use fuses for camo (not that I have seen any, but just in case).

Since bomb squads are in the news today, I will add caches that are covered with circuit boards (one like that closed a major highway for hours not too far from where I live when the squad came out to check it out) or those that use fuses for camo (not that I have seen any, but just in case).

And whatever you do, don't cover the container with blinking lights that form the outline of a cartoon character.

And whatever you do, don't cover the container with blinking lights that form the outline of a cartoon character.

Especially if they are only 8 bit, Ignignokt wouldn't have created such a panic if he was 128.

avoid anything that resembles what the average viewer of "24" might confuse to be a bomb- tube shaped and capped on both ends (but I have found such caches).

Yes, use common sense in your urban hides. When someone accidentally finds it, the ideal reaction should be “it's just a nice safe Geocache”.

And it depends on the location, so check for restrictions where you intend to place it. Some state parks require containers to be transparent.

I've heard many places are discouraging the large plastic paint-bucket style (which isn't the best outdoor container anyway). But there are exceptions, where a certain container will be perfect in one place and almost nowhere else. So if you've got a very unorthodox idea, check with a local reviewer.

Thanks to everyone who has answered my question.

I made a cache container out of an old..... well, I don't want to give it away. I have never seen or heard of one of these used as a container before. So before I go through all the steps of getting it published, how do I check with a local reviewer to make sure it is okay to use?

I made a cache container out of an old..... well, I don't want to give it away. I have never seen or heard of one of these used as a container before. So before I go through all the steps of getting it published, how do I check with a local reviewer to make sure it is okay to use?

Look at a recently placed, nearby cache, see who published it, and send that person (who is the reviewer) an email.

I don't think there are any official guidelines regarding container, but if they do give their opinions, it would be advisable to pay attention to them.

Quite a few cachers will tell you to avoid film cans due to concerns with weather/water proofing and lack thereof (found plenty, some wet and some dry).

Based on my admitted limited experience, film cans seem to manage as long as the log itself is in a ziplock baggie inside the container. Same goes for the ever popular magnetic key case.

Based on my admitted limited experience, film cans seem to manage as long as the log itself is in a ziplock baggie inside the container. Same goes for the ever popular magnetic key case.

yeah, all the way up to the point the baggie starts to disintegrate, which is weeks after it is planted.

especially if it is a ziplock. Some ziplocks never seal. Those that start out sealing, either quit sealing with time, or the cachers quit sealing them when they don't have time.

ziplocks are not for waterproofing. (repeat after me....)

Galdware - very bad.

etc. etc. etc.

To those I'll add:

Ziploc bags

Altoids tins

cookie tins

film canisters

prescription pill bottles

chinese/deli food containers

tackle and tool boxes

Sterlite storage boxes

Yougurt/margarine tubs

briefcases (yes I found one in a briefcase)

PVC pipe

Of course any of these can work if they are not exposed to the elements but that is usually not the case with geocaches.

Don't forget the Hide-a-Key cases!

Yes, the following post reminded me of it.

Sorry, but on the film cans, I gotta go with the guy who's been caching since 2001. The literally suck water into themselves as the air inside heats up and cools down. It's like a mini vacuum pump. As to anything that relies on a baggie to keep the log dry, to quote another experienced cacher (caching since 2004):
A good rule of thumb I like to babble: If your container requires a ziplock to protect its log, your cache has already failed at a very basic level.

If you need a baggie to protect the log you need a better container.

Sorry, but on the film cans, I gotta go with the guy who's been caching since 2001. The literally suck water into themselves as the air inside heats up and cools down. It's like a mini vacuum pump. As to anything that relies on a baggie to keep the log dry, to quote another experienced cacher (caching since 2004):
I've been caching since 2001, I guess that means that I can have an opinion.

The white film cans actually do a darn good job of keeping water out. The black ones do a poor job. Ziplocks should only be considered a second line of defense. Therefore, if you hide a cache using a black film can or a magnetic keyholder, it should be in a spot that isn't going to be rained on.

Edited by sbell111

....I knew somebody would post about the white vs black film cans.

In my experience - about 70% of the black ones I've found have moisture and wetness.

About 25% of the white ones do as well.

So while it remains true that the white ones are far better than the black ones - they are still a poor choice of container.