CHECKING YOUR CACHE

Whenever I plant a cache, it doesn't grow. Maybe I am trying to plant the wrong type of cache for the climate, but it doesn't seem to matter how much or how little I water it, nothing sprouts. According to the horticulture books, I should have a small swag-tree within two years, but... nothing.

Am I doing something wrong? Do planted caches need a special type of fertilizer to grow in Nebraska? Would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

:):laughing:

i hate it when people hide lots of caches and dont maintain them. if your not going to take care of them THEN DONT HIDE THEM. :laughing:

Wow! That's a lot of vitriol! Sit down. Breathe deeply. And tell us what is truly bothering you.

(I tried Miracle-Gro, but it doesn't seem to help with my caches...)

i hate it when people hide lots of caches and dont maintain them. if your not going to take care of them THEN DONT HIDE THEM. :D

Wow! That's a lot of vitriol! Sit down. Breathe deeply. And tell us what is truly bothering you.

sorry so bitter but i did 15 caches today and all were damaged in some way. they were hid by one person who does not check on them like you are supose to. it gets frustrating.

I hear your frustration. It's disappointing that people don't maintain their caches but you have to remeber that some people toss out hundreds of caches with nothing more than a film canister top to protect the logsheet. They can't possibly maintain them all.

(note sarcastic tone towards microspewers)

i hate it when people hide lots of caches and dont maintain them. if your not going to take care of them THEN DONT HIDE THEM. :D

sorry so bitter but i did 15 caches today and all were damaged in some way. they were hid by one person who does not check on them like you are supose to. it gets frustrating.

If the cache has a problem post a needs maintenance

Whenever I plant a cache, it doesn't grow. Maybe I am trying to plant the wrong type of cache for the climate, but it doesn't seem to matter how much or how little I water it, nothing sprouts. According to the horticulture books, I should have a small swag-tree within two years, but... nothing.

Am I doing something wrong? Do planted caches need a special type of fertilizer to grow in Nebraska? Would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

:D:D

Maybe your soil is bad?

If that bothered me, I would probably have given up after the third one. After a while, you get to know which local cachers do not perform maintenance. I have a few on my ignore list.

Were there NM's logged on the caches? What is the time frame? I got a report of a soggy log today. I'll check it out next Sunday.

Yes. It can be very frustrating. If the pevious logs reported a mess, or NM, then I probably would not be searching for those caches. If they've had NMs for a while, I might consider using NA. If they've had no NMs, then how would the CO know? If you feel the cache Needs Maintenance, then post an NM. If it has several NMs, and nothing has been done, post an NA. That's the way the system works.

In the meantime, looks for soneone else's caches. Thre are lots of great caches to be found!

It isn't the norm, but some do just drop them and forget them. The hide then becomes a ward of the community. Eventually they get fixed or archived but it usually takes a long time. It would be good to have an option to ignore all caches by an owner.. but it has been suggested often and apparently is not considered a useful tool.

I found the best solution for a day like that is two margaritas. It is kind of unfair to blast a whole community just because you had a bad day. Unfortunately we let human beings place caches and you know what they are like.

What!?! Human Beings? I thought frogs hid the caches. Boy is that a bummer. I don't like margaritas, can I have Gentleman Jack on the rocks?

Well, I have no idea what anyone is talking about, because all I see is, "its spring in wisconsin. time to check and maintain your caches" twice. :D

Seeing as "plant" is the preferred term in letterboxing, I imagine it's mostly interchangeable with the term "placed". But then again, I don't know why that is being referenced either. :D

Well, I have no idea what anyone is talking about, because all I see is, "its spring in wisconsin. time to check and maintain your caches" twice. :D

Seeing as "plant" is the preferred term in letterboxing, I imagine it's mostly interchangeable with the term "placed". But then again, I don't know why that is being referenced either. :D

i edited my post to make more respectable.

I've recently placed my first 2 caches this year. I'm more of a hunter than a, er, planter? But I placed them close enough to my home that it wouldn't take much to maintain them. Those were my thoughts when hiding them.

So I promise to maintain my caches at times needed and to be a good CO and always keep a fresh log sheet and dry contents in my caches.

(All said with my girl scout fingers in the air.)

I'm like a mother hen with my caches. I nervously check them every couple of weeks, scared to death that they won't be in perfect shape for the next finder. I have a cache that nobody has even looked for since last August, yet I've driven the 20 miles out there to check it several times since then. Just in case.

I'm like a mother hen with my caches. I nervously check them every couple of weeks, scared to death that they won't be in perfect shape for the next finder. I have a cache that nobody has even looked for since last August, yet I've driven the 20 miles out there to check it several times since then. Just in case.

I'm the same way. I use the Helicopter parent analogy. I hover over my caches.

This post inspired me to fix my one cache that had a wet log.

I wish I hadn't...

Long story short is I was supposed to start a new job tomorrow but won't and the whole ordeal today might cost me a couple thousand dollars.

I just hope I can start the job tuesday and have my car back tomorrow...

Next time I see a "CHECK YOUR CACHE" post, I'm going to ignore it.

:D

I wish I hadn't...

Long story short is I was supposed to start a new job tomorrow but won't and the whole ordeal today might cost me a couple thousand dollars.

What? your going to leave us imagine what happened? Was that Apr. 1 post not really in jest?

I wish I hadn't...

What? your going to leave us imagine what happened? Was that Apr. 1 post not really in jest?

It's a VERY long story...

Sometimes Karma is a witch.

I know I am new and please don't fry me for saying this .... it is JMO from everything I have read on the forum and main site.

It seems to me that is why there is a maintenance option. We haven't placed any caches yet but when we do I may not be able to get out and check on them all regularly. But I am one that checks my email regularly so if I were to get a maintenance check or notice by find comments that log may be getting full etc. then that would be my que to get my butt out to that one and do some maintenance. Correct me if this is a bad practice and that way I would know before ever placing any.