Sticker on outside of container instead of signing log?

WhoDis

Been reading the "World Record" topic and some questions have come up on the topic of using stickers. It was suggested that another post be used for this discussion about whether sticker were acceptable, rather than actually signing the log. I think it is, but here is my question. It appears that in the record breaking run, they didn't always bother to put the sticker in the log book. Some were on the outside of the log book and some they didn't even bother to open the container, just stuck it on the outside of the container. Is this acceptable for a find? It seems rather rude to me, either way. If it is acceptable, then there is a series of caches in my are that are hidden in the tops of trees, you can see the containers, so I could just fashion me a long pole and use it to place the sticker on the outside of the container and claim my find? Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this subject.

I believe a few years back that Guiness was invited to verify a run during GeoWoodstock IV (I could be wrong about the event).

There was a lot of excitement about Guiness getting involved and verifying the run. (if my memory is correct. Again, it's been a while so I may be off a bit)

Anyway, it all fell apart when it came to light that the team making the run had signed the outside of a number of the cache containers.

Because of the resulting controversy, you will not find the run in the Guiness Book of World Records.

I would equate slapping stickers to the outside of containers to signing them with Sharpies. It's bad form and caused a lot of headaches for the people involved.

The problem with these runs as far as bragging rights go is that 1) there are no hard and fast rules in place in order to ensure that every subsequent team is experiencing the same challenge. 2) there are no "referees" serving as unbiased judges to ensure that all teams are playing by the same rules. and 3) these new power trails are not the same caching experience as finding normal caches hidden in normal locations.

As a personal achievement, I think it's great. They had fun and that's what geocaching is all about.

But as far as bragging rights go, every run is a different experience and thus cannot really be properly compared to previous runs.

Either way, slapping stickers on someone's caches amounts to vandalizing. If Sharpies are not acceptable, then stickers shouldn't be either.

Either way, slapping stickers on someone's caches amounts to vandalizing. If Sharpies are not acceptable, then stickers shouldn't be either.

What if it was an ammo box welded shut with lined paper laminated to the outside? :laughing:

If the CO designed the cache to be written on, then go for it. I just know that a lot of cache owners were a bit upset with having their containers graffitied. I also remember several saying they didn't mind it a bit.

I was a young cacher when all this went down. Thus, my caching morays were sort of shaped a bit by this event. For reference, you can check out the conversations from back in 2006.

Signing Container Rather Than Logbook

New 24 Hour Record For Finding Most Caches (312) Has Been Set, around Geowoodstock 4 in Dallas / TX

What if it was an ammo box welded shut with lined paper laminated to the outside? :laughing:

If the CO designed the cache to be written on, then go for it. I just know that a lot of cache owners were a bit upset with having their containers graffitied. I also remember several saying they didn't mind it a bit.

I was a young cacher when all this went down. Thus, my caching morays were sort of shaped a bit by this event. For reference, you can check out the conversations from back in 2006.

Signing Container Rather Than Logbook

New 24 Hour Record For Finding Most Caches (312) Has Been Set, around Geowoodstock 4 in Dallas / TX

I agree with you. It was just an idea I had. <_<

Stickers are not as bad as a sharpie, and it really depends if camo was used to determine how bad. In the recent power cache run all of the hides were from the same group who probably dont mind.

However, in general practice it should not be done.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

At the very least I paint my containers in some type of cammo pattern. Place a sticker on it and I certainly won't be happy. You want credit for finding the cache? Then have the courtesy to put your signature in the log book, not on the paint job.

Logging of All Physical Caches

Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed.

No no no. April fools day is supposed to be angst free. By the way, how do you like my Team Cotati Avatar? :laughing:

Some do, but I don't have a problem with stickers at all. But c'mon guys, unroll the freaking logscrap. This is cheesy.

But I suppose in this case it's not as big of a deal as the famous "DRR with sharpie" incident. With a "placement team" who all logged caches they hid themselves as finds, there was an aura of anything goes from the start, and I'm sure they don't care, as many of the DRR victims did.

Had to reread your post twice. I guess it is the low coffee level. I thought you were saying it was the same team setting the record that hid them on their individual accounts.

Anyway I suppose you are right. The trail was obviously made to enable a record run so the owners probably aren't all that concerned. The whole thing does sound kinda cheesy though.

Edited by GOF & Bacall

I've never deleted a log on one of my caches. Prior to today, if you had asked me if there were circumstances which might lead me to delete a log, (other than armchair logging), I would've been hard pressed to come up with one. Sadly, that statement is no longer true. If some goober was so incredibly lazy that they couldn't be bothered to even open my cache, and slapped a decal on the exterior instead, that would earn a deletion. How lame can you get? :laughing:

I've never deleted a log on one of my caches. Prior to today, if you had asked me if there were circumstances which might lead me to delete a log, (other than armchair logging), I would've been hard pressed to come up with one. Sadly, that statement is no longer true. If some goober was so incredibly lazy that they couldn't be bothered to even open my cache, and slapped a decal on the exterior instead, that would earn a deletion. How lame can you get? :laughing:

Well, they definitely didn't just drive around and drop stickers on containers 566 times. Here is the post from another thread, from someone who ran part of the power trail later the same day. They talk about seeing some stickers on the outside, some on the covers of logbooks, and some on the outside of rolled up logscraps.

Maybe I just didn't read through that other thread carefully enough? But I don't recall seeing any posts where they mentioned signing/stickerizing the outside of the container? I think it's a bit cheezy to simply slap it on the outside of the log roll, but not worthy of a deletion. On occasion, especially when trying to protect the log from rain I have signed on the first available spot so I could get the log back into its baggie faster.

And IMO anything goes with those annoying nano logs. That's why I almost always sign with gel pens.

/slight tangent-why do some cachers insist on using their fully 46 character handle, instead of just initials on those? :laughing:

In the recent power cache run all of the hides were from the same group who probably dont mind.

What!? They plant a power trail and then go out and find them under a different team name? Then brag that they broke a record? Wow. <shaking head>

In the recent power cache run all of the hides were from the same group who probably dont mind.

What!? They plant a power trail and then go out and find them under a different team name? Then brag that they broke a record? Wow. <shaking head>

No!!!! You're the 2nd person to misinterpret my stupid post!! :laughing:

I just meant the people who hid the caches all logged them as finds, they didn't claim any kind of record. Besides, I imagine it took a lot longer to hide them then it does to find them.

Maybe I just didn't read through that other thread carefully enough? But I don't recall seeing any posts where they mentioned signing/stickerizing the outside of the container?

Yeah, I'm not seeing this either.

As a hypothetical concept, stickering the outside would be the pinnacle of cheesy.

What, does everyone have me on ignore because of my Avatar? :laughing:

This is the post from another thread which details SOME cheezy sloppiness. Not all caches had a sticker slapped on the outside. Very few, probably.

Naked Avatar Day is not until next month. A week before Ban Naked Avatars Day.

I did read your link. And wondered why no one else seems to have.

(you got me there for a while.. I wondered how TC's avatar got through my GM "Put a shirt on him" script until I looked at the username).

Edited by Chrysalides

No!!!! You're the 2nd person to misinterpret my stupid post!! :laughing:

I just meant the people who hid the caches all logged them as finds, they didn't claim any kind of record. Besides, I imagine it took a lot longer to hide them then it does to find them.

OK. Thanks for the clarification.

Maybe I just didn't read through that other thread carefully enough? But I don't recall seeing any posts where they mentioned signing/stickerizing the outside of the container?

As a hypothetical concept, stickering the outside would be the pinnacle of cheesy.

From the other thread:

On another point mentioned above, I have nothing against stickers. We used them on our run. I've used them on group outings in the past. I think they make great sense as they conserve log space. However, I do have one point of annoyance on the record run. I hesitate to bring this up as it will likely unleash a firestorm, but it is still bugging me after two days back from the trip.

For this run, a lot of the record holder stickers seemed to be just slapped on without even removing the log, slide onto the outside of the rolled up sheet. One was on the logbook cover positioned over the MooseMob logo. A few were even on the outside of the container. As a cacher following after them, it was obvious that speed was the only objective. The "etiquette" of "signing" the log in the next open spot on the log was not followed. For folks that seem to stress the "rules" and boast of "no cheating" on their finds, this seemed to be a bit of ethics breach of the informal etiquette/rules/whatever-you-want-to-call-it of the caching culture.

This is the post from another thread which details SOME cheezy sloppiness. Not all caches had a sticker slapped on the outside. Very few, probably.

I hadn't read to the bottom of that post before. Interesting. Sounds like most of the stickers made it to the log book (maybe on it the appropriate locations), but some were on the outside. The biggest question I have is, where the ones on the outside mistakes, but there was still one on the log book? Many other questions. Would be interesting to hear from Ventrua_kids or one of the other team members on this issue.

I hadn't read to the bottom of that post before. Interesting. Sounds like most of the stickers made it to the log book (maybe on it the appropriate locations), but some were on the outside. The biggest question I have is, where the ones on the outside mistakes, but there was still one on the log book? Many other questions. Would be interesting to hear from Ventrua_kids or one of the other team members on this issue.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4281445

Ventura_kids answered the question. There we go. No more angst about that now.

Kewl! One can only assume that the offending stickers which were observed on the outside of some of those caches crawled out of the caches themselves, adhering themselves to the exteriors. :anicute:

Maybe the wistle blower mistook the stickers from a different group, or maybe they accidently stuck them to the outside as they were opening, or closing the cache. I think if I was trying for a record, I would likely have the sticker off the backing, on my finger as I was looking for the cache. Could easly get stuck to the cache by accident.

Kewl! One can only assume that the offending stickers which were observed on the outside of some of those caches crawled out of the caches themselves, adhering themselves to the exteriors. :laughing:

Maybe the wistle blower mistook the stickers from a different group, or maybe they accidently stuck them to the outside as they were opening, or closing the cache. I think if I was trying for a record, I would likely have the sticker off the backing, on my finger as I was looking for the cache. Could easly get stuck to the cache by accident.

It could very well be accidental. Also, another cacher could have removed them from the logscraps, and placed them on the outside of the container for comedic purposes. After all, there was the famous "sign the outside of the container DRR with a sharpie" incident. Which was probably the worst idea in the history of Geocaching, by the way. :anicute: If stickers were put on the outside of logbooks, or on the back of unrolled logscraps, I still think that is kind of cheesy. Only the whistleblower knows for sure. And he's not the one who started this thread. Maybe he'll see this one and respond.

It was posted on the post right above, but here is a link to it again.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry4279915

I've never deleted a log on one of my caches. Prior to today, if you had asked me if there were circumstances which might lead me to delete a log, (other than armchair logging), I would've been hard pressed to come up with one. Sadly, that statement is no longer true. If some goober was so incredibly lazy that they couldn't be bothered to even open my cache, and slapped a decal on the exterior instead, that would earn a deletion. How lame can you get? :anicute:

IAWTC

Yup, pretty much the psychological, scroll down faster kind of ignore. Not the formal fill out the paperwork kind though :anicute:

Yup, pretty much the psychological, scroll down faster kind of ignore. Not the formal fill out the paperwork kind though :laughing:

That's what he gets for using the shirtless wonder's avatar. :anicute:

Yup, pretty much the psychological, scroll down faster kind of ignore. Not the formal fill out the paperwork kind though :laughing:

That's what he gets for using the shirtless wonder's avatar. :anicute:

Hey, Mushtang has a naked guy avatar too, you know. :laughing: