Which nuvi?

maalna2

I am looking to get a garmin nuvi and wondering which one to get. I want to be able to put geocaches on it so I can tell if I am driving close to one but I want it to mainly be for car use. I have a Oregon 300 so I dont need one that will take me to the cache. I just want to know when there is one in the area. Any suggestion?

I really haven't been paying attention to the newer models, but here are some features that I've noticed that may help you make the correct choice.

1. 4.3" or larger screen - better visibility. Some of the models are only 3.5" and can be harder to read.

2. Spoken street names (text to speech). While almost all (or all) models can tell you to turn in 0.1 mile, the lower end models cannot tell you what street it is. Sometimes the pronunciation can be funny, but it is usually good enough.

3. Optional features : bluetooth, FM data, FM transmitter, speech recognition, lane assist

4. Some of the models can only be powered through USB. My 660 has a separate power connector, so that removing the unit from the mount is a lot easier - I press a button and the Nuvi comes off, no unplugging necessary.

I'd recommend the 660 except it's been discontinued for a few years. While mine still works well, the battery is just about dead. So if anyone has a good recommendation I'm interested too.

The last time I checked the only Nuvi's that were weatherproof were the 500 & 550. Yeah I read that you have an Oregon as your primary to-the-cache GPSr, but it would be nice if the Nuvi could also be taken out of the car "safely" used to go right to the cache, right? One day you may not have your Oregon handy, OR maybe you're caching with a friend, you could lend the Nuvi (or Oregon!) to the friend and you use the other.

Nice & versatile combination :surprise:

To the OP, I'd suggest perhaps a Nuvi 500 or 550 - they can be found as a refurb often for as little as $150 US. This site had them for $149 but I guess they sold too well at that price, and they're advertised at $179 now, though they don't currently have any in stock.

They only have a 3.5" screen but they are great in the car, and can be used for Geocaching as well.

I'd recommend the 660 except it's been discontinued for a few years. While mine still works well, the battery is just about dead. So if anyone has a good recommendation I'm interested too.

Is your antenna still working? My 660 was practically given to me because it no longer acquired signals but it works beautifully when plugged into an external antenna. And in some ways I like it better than my newer 780 - the 660 display is sharper and the Bluetooth function is awesome - it reads SMS messages out loud - something my 780 will not do. So much for progress.

I'd just get Sharcnet to put a new battery into that 660 if I was you.

Is your antenna still working? My 660 was practically given to me because it no longer acquired signals but it works beautifully when plugged into an external antenna. And in some ways I like it better than my newer 780 - the 660 display is sharper and the Bluetooth function is awesome - it reads SMS messages out loud - something my 780 will not do. So much for progress.

I'd just get Sharcnet to put a new battery into that 660 if I was you.

The antenna and just about everything else works fine, the battery would not last 15 minutes. Thanks for the link for battery replacement, I'll check it out.

Quite possibly not the recommendation you had in mind, but I've been keeping several automotive GPS units alive whose batteries are "non-user-replaceable". Here's yours:

http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/htmlos.c...437037385453670

Have had good dealings with this outfit so far. Heck of a lot cheaper than a new GPSr. When I ordered for the TomTom GO series, they even came with the oddball tool for screw removal.

Yeah, I know, you WANTED a new one!

Edited by ecanderson

Quite possibly not the recommendation you had in mind, but I've been keeping several automotive GPS units alive whose batteries are "non-user-replaceable". Here's yours:

http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/htmlos.c...437037385453670

Have had good dealings with this outfit so far. Heck of a lot cheaper than a new GPSr. When I ordered for the TomTom GO series, they even came with the oddball tool for screw removal.

Yeah, I know, you WANTED a new one!

Who? Me? :surprise:

Actually, though I usually like new electronics, in the case of the 660, I only wish it is faster, and in terms of features, I'll take it over a new 2xx series any day.

I've read descriptions of how to replace the battery in the 660. Sounds complicated with much potential for mistakes. Has anyone here actually done it before?

Sorry about the price range I am looking in the anywhere in between $200 and $300. I just started looking at the 13XX kind of leaning towards the 1390T.

The 1690 sounds like it rocks from what I read but it is just a bit to much money right now. I like the nulink! but the 13xx have the MSN direct thing for a couple more year at least.

Who-Dey is it easy to add caches onto yours? because they say not geocaching friendly so not sure if that means not to take it out in the field with it or will not be able to add caches to it?

... is it easy to add caches onto yours? because they say not geocaching friendly so not sure if that means not to take it out in the field with it or will not be able to add caches to it?

I just got the 1390T and love it for road navigation. I had been using my Oregon for both caching and driving, and it served me well, but I do enjoy the features (haven't gotten to try them all yet) that a dedicated driving GPS offers.

Loading caches to the 1390 is pretty easy. All you have to do is put the pocket query into the GPX folder in the unit, and your good to go. Keep in mind, though, that the geocaches will show up as treasure chests on your screen - they won't have the corresponding geocache type symbols with them. And they won't have any information about the cache type, description, log, etc. Of course you could always use a macro from GSAK and load them as POI's to get around this...

You can use it to navigate to the cache, and if you put it in offroad mode when you get there (not the walking profile, but one of the settings under navigation), it'll get you in the ballpark. Won't be as nice and easy like the Oregon (not to mention it's not as rugged and able to take a little abuse), but it'll get you there.

Anyway, long story short, just drag your gpx file into the gpx folder in the unit, and you'll be able to see nearby caches when you're driving.

BTW, My parents have a 550. As others have mentioned, it won't speak street names, but it is a good road navigation unit that will also give you all of the cache details and is pretty easy to use.

Edited by PhilAun

OK, I bought the battery. I'll post in another thread about my success or lack of.

I compared the 765T and the 1690, just in case :smile: And from the specs alone, the only difference I could tell is that the 1690 has 2 years of nüLink! service (special promotional offer, normally 1 year). A little more googling shows that it is some kind of cellular data service provided by AT&T. Something like Kindle's WhisperNet, I guess.

According to Garmin's website, the 1690 takes microSD, and has no MP3 player or audio out jack. I guess if I'm buying, I'll get the 765T over the 1690. The 1390T is a newer model, but it is similar to the 765T with a few features missing. I actually make use of the MP3 player. SD cards are slightly cheaper, and autosort destinations can be useful.

The biggest thing I dislike about the 12xx, 13xx and 14xx series is the lack of a powered mount. You have to attach the power lead every time you use it.

I absolutely agree. I'm sorry to see it disappear from the more reasonably priced 1xxx series. Another thing that surprised me is the absence of an MP3 player. I guess they're becoming more common integrated with a car's sound system that Garmin felt they could cut that out and save a few dollars. The nice thing about the MP3 player is that playback would stop when the Nuvi is speaking directions.

The 775T seems to have more features than the 1690. I find that strange.

The 775T is 765T with additional European maps, from what I can tell.

The 765T/775T does have a few extra features. The 1690 has that NuLink! thing that may appeal to some. Doesn't seem like there are any 1xxx equivalent of the 765T.

Garmin's plethora of Nuvi models gives me a headache. And it almost seems like they purposely leave features out so that they can come out with a new model in a couple of months.

For the past couple of years, Garmin has not introduced a model that "has it all." Right now, you could consider the 7x5, 8x5 and 1690 series to be their top of the line units. But the high-end feature sets don't overlap. You'll find nice features on each of those lines not found on the others. There is no one nuvi to rule them all. Maybe this is so Garmin can see what features the market will respond best to. I can't think of any other reason.

Thanks for the tip and video. I just bought a new battery for my Nuvi 660 and will change it myself. I use mine for paperless caching and the Garmin 60CSX for the trail. Battery is now dead and is always plugged into the car. Now I can take it back on the trail with a new battery. Cool! Bonnie Buglady1

BTW, My parents have a 550. As others have mentioned, it won't speak street names...

??? Both the 500 and 550 are supposed to do the text-to-speech gig. What's up with that? Garmin break the firmware?

"nüvi 550's intuitive interface greets you with two simple questions: "Where to?" and "View Map." Touch the color screen to easily look up addresses and services and get voice-prompted, turn-by-turn directions that speak street names to your destination."

BTW, My parents have a 550. As others have mentioned, it won't speak street names...

??? Both the 500 and 550 are supposed to do the text-to-speech gig. What's up with that? Garmin break the firmware?

"nüvi 550's intuitive interface greets you with two simple questions: "Where to?" and "View Map." Touch the color screen to easily look up addresses and services and get voice-prompted, turn-by-turn directions that speak street names to your destination."

It depends on which voice you choose, I think. There's a limited number of them which do say street names.

My 850 has "Says Street Names" beside those voices which are compatible.

It depends on which voice you choose, I think. There's a limited number of them which do say street names.

My 850 has "Says Street Names" beside those voices which are compatible.

That's a long way from "it won't".

I would imagine that Garmin and the user community, as is the case for TomTom, provide a large number of voices that map only a selection of key words like "turn", "left" and the like, using voices like 3CPO and Bart Simpson, but just a small handful of (more expensive to produce) 'computer' voices that do text-to-speech. That's the normal way of things for TomTom. I haven't owned a Garmin auto nav device, but it sounds like the same deal. On my TomTom, I have the choice several male and several female "computer" voices - one of each for USA accented, English accented, and I believe Australian accented English. My personal favorite is USA Susan, or Suzie TomTom as she is affectionately known around the house.

BTW, My parents have a 550. As others have mentioned, it won't speak street names, but it is a good road navigation unit that will also give you all of the cache details and is pretty easy to use.

When the nuvi 500 and 550 came out, they did not include text-to-speech. It was added with a later firmware update. Make sure they have the latest firmware and voice downloads, and then select a voice that supports TTS.