logging a find when they couldn't reach the cache

I've got a cache hidden recently, there hasnt been a FTF yet. I got a log today that someone found it but couldnt reach it. They still logged a find. I deleted the log and sent this email "sorry i had to delete your log for __________ (GC#####). Where you couldn't reach the cache and therefor couldn't sign the log it isn't really a "find". You can log your attempt as a DNF and then when you can sign the log, then log your find. Who knows you may still get the FTF and the prize B)

Thanks"

They just re-posted their find....along with another cacher that said they couldnt reach it.

Am I mistaken or is this really a DNF? Should I delete the logs again? I dont have any FTF's but there are some around here that seem to love them. I even placed a small FTF prize. but now the caches shows 2 finds.

I dont want to give anybody bad feelings about my caches, I am still a noob but I try to make my caches fun...and if you are ftf i think it should show you as ftf

(oh and I stopped by the cache and I could have reached it...but I do have quite a reach being 6'2")

Edited by Highland Horde

I've got a cache hidden recently, there hasnt been a FTF yet. I got a log today that someone found it but couldnt reach it. They still logged a find. I deleted the log and sent this email "sorry i had to delete your log for By The Brook (GC24B1Q). Where you couldn't reach the cache and therefor couldn't sign the log it isn't really a "find". You can log your attempt as a DNF and then when you can sign the log, then log your find. Who knows you may still get the FTF and the prize B)

Thanks"

They just re-posted their find....along with another cacher that said they couldnt reach it.

Am I mistaken or is this really a DNF? Should I delete the logs again? I dont have any FTF's but there are some around here that seem to love them. I even placed a small FTF prize. but now the caches shows 2 finds.

I dont want to give anybody bad feelings about my caches, I am still a noob but I try to make my caches fun...and if you are ftf i think it should show you as ftf

(oh and I stopped by the cache and I could have reached it...but I do have quite a reach being 6'2")

According to the guidelines, paraphrasing

Find cache, SIGN LOG, get smiley.

If it was your intention to make it difficult and you have the difficulty rated properly I would agree with you that those should not be finds. I think your response was proper also. I think that you should delete the logs with the note that when they actually get the cache and sign the log they can repost the find. After the FTF you might just ignore the improper finds but that would be up to you.

I think the thing that got me going B) was that they re-logged their find after I sent the email...they didnt reply to my email...didn't comment on it being deleted....just re-logged...I've gotta go check on a cache that seems to have washed out of its hiding spot...actually I better check on 2...lol...so I will think about it....I really dont care who logs how but for the FTF hounds out there it may matter but if they read the logs they do state that they couldn't reach it.

If it was your intention to make it difficult and you have the difficulty rated properly I would agree with you that those should not be finds. I think your response was proper also. I think that you should delete the logs with the note that when they actually get the cache and sign the log they can repost the find. After the FTF you might just ignore the improper finds but that would be up to you.

I agree with this.

I'm only 5ft tall. If a cache is out of my reach up a tree I either resign myself to logging a DNF... or climb the tree. B)

MrsB

It's your cache so up to you. If you want people to actually sign the log, then delete again. You might add a comment on the cache page that they must sign the log to get the smiley (just for a little emphasis). Or if you don't care after there is a FTF, you could put a comment on that the log must be signed to claim a smiley until after the FTF.

It's your call.

so delete the logs again?

These so called "cachers" have an elevated sense of entitlement. The logs really should be deleted but it's a shame they have put you in that position and then continue to push the issue. Remember that should they choose these "cachers" have the ability to make your life difficult. I would suggest one more delete (with explanation again). If they relog yet again you could just post a note that these so called finds are bogus but they refuse to take no for an answer.

Just a word of caution. When the cachers log their find and admit they could not reach the cache it's easy to delete that log. If someone logged a find and only wrote "Found it. TFTC." you wouldn't know if they actually signed the log unless you went and checked the logbook. If you want to delete bogus finds, delete ALL bogus finds (by checking the log book) and not just the finds that the hunters admit are bogus in their logs.

Edited by simpjkee

I agree, check the log... they may be playing games on others trying to get the FTF... get there and find a proper log already... something of a liars FTF log... not too sporting, but possible. Of course one could blame you for prominently posting the REAL FTF on the CPage.

Doug

It's your cache so up to you. If you want people to actually sign the log, then delete again. You might add a comment on the cache page that they must sign the log to get the smiley (just for a little emphasis). Or if you don't care after there is a FTF, you could put a comment on that the log must be signed to claim a smiley until after the FTF.

It's your call.

Sorry, but isn't that redundant? Signed = found. Rest assured there have been many caches that I could see from some distance even driving by, not a find.

It is the OPs call, however I don't see any difference between what the OP describe and armchair caching.

It's people like this that make me consider changing my caches to Premium Members Only. I didn't look at your miscreant cachers but I'm betting they aren't Premium Members. I would continue to delete their log entries if it was my cache.

The real loss is theirs. I have great memories of every cache I've found, whether it was a cold, wet and rainy trek through the woods to find a micro at night, a park and grab micro, or an earthcache with an awesome view. These folks are nothing but number collectors, and hopefully they will move on to another "hobby" they can pretend to do.

isnt it funny how these topics seem to continue to run on? (I know I am bumping this back to the top...but anyway)

So here is the scoop the cachers in question are noobs like me...i have spent a lot of time here on the forums reading opinions and getting an idea how things work....I have the time (sorta)...with 6 kids (4 full time and 2 part time in the house) it isnt always possible to be out when I want so I read (and enter cointests :))...not everyone does that...actually it appears most dont...

As noobs it appears that they didnt know it wasn't ok to log the find because they couldnt sign the book...the cache was within inches of their reach. I email them about it...once they got the email they deleted their logs and I got a email about it...all is good..they learned...they even posted a note about another of my caches not being where it is supposed to be...they re-hid it until I could get to it...all is good...lets try not to be too hard on noobs...just gently push them in the right direction...not into traffic B)

Not quite the same situation, but I am an enthusiastic but somewhat physically-impaired cacher (use a cane because of a stroke). In one case I had found a cache, could touch it with my cane, but could not retrieve it. I wrote the cache owner a note explaining the situation, and he wrote back telling me to go ahead and log the cache -- and he even offered to go with me to the location and bring it up so I could sign the log! This was not a FTF, and I described the location in enough detail that he could be sure that I'd really seen it. For me the finding is the sport, and retrieving is less important. I would never, however, log a cache in these circumstances without asking the permission of the cache owner.

Not quite the same situation, but I am an enthusiastic but somewhat physically-impaired cacher (use a cane because of a stroke). In one case I had found a cache, could touch it with my cane, but could not retrieve it. I wrote the cache owner a note explaining the situation, and he wrote back telling me to go ahead and log the cache -- and he even offered to go with me to the location and bring it up so I could sign the log! This was not a FTF, and I described the location in enough detail that he could be sure that I'd really seen it. For me the finding is the sport, and retrieving is less important. I would never, however, log a cache in these circumstances without asking the permission of the cache owner.

That was very kind of the CO! There are many very nice COs like that!

But to OP's question. I was about fifteen feet up a tree. I even had my fins on the bottom of the cache. I didn't trust myself or the branches to climb any higher. For me that's a DNF.

This brings up something that made me think about.

I have 2 caches that you can easily see but are difficult for many to reach if they are physically impaired. If a cacher were to tell me of their limitations I would allow a find, as long as I was sure they found the cache, without a signature.

If they can't reach it because they aren't seeing the easy way to reach it, that's a different story.

I would allow it.

There are a small corps of blowdiehards who litigate endlessly that the signature on the cache log is the be-all end-all of the game.

I hope that you don't become one of them.

Ask yourself why you hide caches... is it to offer someone a fun experience, maybe take them somewhere interesting, or is the purpose of the game to sign the log?

Yes, signing the log is the standard of proof that someone found a cache. But if they tell you that they saw your camo mayonnaise jar in the fork of a tree branch at your stated coordinates, the if your cache is indeed a camo mayonnaise jar in a fork of a tree at those coordinates then they indeed DID find the thing!

So, if someone logs that they found it but could not sign it ask them to describe your cache. If they can't, then sure, delete the log, but if they can then they've been there and seen it, and by any logical description that means that they found it.

It's a game.

This brings up something that made me think about.

I have 2 caches that you can easily see but are difficult for many to reach if they are physically impaired. If a cacher were to tell me of their limitations I would allow a find, as long as I was sure they found the cache, without a signature.

If they can't reach it because they aren't seeing the easy way to reach it, that's a different story.

Exactly! I have one know of one that is 30 feet up a metal light pole that requires some skill or strategy to retrieve. I'm not giving any free finds away on that one. I also have one know of one that requires the finder to go out on a ledge with a 150 foot drop below them. No freebies on that one, either, but aside from those... meh! Give it the old college try and I'll work with you.

Of course you could do as I do, and decide that the game should be fun and angst-free.

I have enough fun things to do that policing logs doesn't sound like something I need to do.

I have never compared a cache log to online logs and do not intend to start.

I have been notified in our local caching forum that an armchair logger was logging caches in our area. I checked and he'd logged a few of mine. I deleted the logs. Those are the only logs I have ever deleted.

During an attempt at a 24-hour record run a few years ago I and my team caught a lot of flack in this forum because we found the caches but did not take time to open about half of them, instead signing our team name (DRR) with a Sharpie to the outside of the cache. We obviously found the cache, we signed it! But the sign-the-log purists reacted harshly, insisting that having the cache in hand and writing our name on it did not mean that we had found it! :D So I did not log any of the 315 total caches that we found that day.

No worries about find count, no worries about what is a find, just a fun day and a lifelong memory and personal satisfaction of having accomplished something that very few cachers will ever do.

The game is much more fun when I don't go looking for things to worry about. :D

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I've got a cache hidden recently, there hasnt been a FTF yet. I got a log today that someone found it but couldnt reach it. They still logged a find. I deleted the log and sent this email "sorry i had to delete your log for __________ (GC#####). Where you couldn't reach the cache and therefor couldn't sign the log it isn't really a "find". You can log your attempt as a DNF and then when you can sign the log, then log your find. Who knows you may still get the FTF and the prize :anibad:

Thanks"

Whether or not a person should log an online find if the paper log wasn't signed is a decision that is left solely to the cache owner. If you do not feel that they 'found' your cache, you are completely within your authority to delete the online 'found' log.

Naturally, doing so will create bad feelings. It is up to you to determine whether these bad feelings are worth it.

Am I mistaken or is this really a DNF? Should I delete the logs again? ...

It's generally accepted that a find means you signed the log. The log is in the cache and the cache has to be 'reached'.

You did the right thing by emailing them and inviting them to log a DNF (or a note if they didn't feel like spotting it was a DNF".

That they re-logged again is simply passive aggressive behavior. I'd delete again and invite them to log online when they do log the cache.

It's up to you to decide this. The forum denizens generally feel that it's a rare exception that would allow for the owner to say "hey, No problem log it." Something like being frozen under ice, or being retieved but frozen shut.

I had guys, logging a cache as found, which they didn't. The thought a photo of the area is suitable as well.

Yes you can do this. It's called geotagging or whatsoever. Maybe flickr or panoramio are better websites to post your pictures. Geocaching is about FINDING something.

GermanSailor