Is it possible to start a cache without a GPS?

KarateNeko2

Sorry, but our listing guidelines require that a GPS be used to obtain accurate coordinates at the cache site. Attempts to skirt this principle often lead to complaints from early finders -- do you want to upset your fellow geocachers? Better to learn how to use a GPS. If you have technical questions, these forums are a great place to ask. We would rather spend the time helping you learn about GPS use than to stumble around in the woods, 80 feet from the correct hiding spot.

ok. Thank you. I promise to set up the exact location. You see, my Mom owns the GPS and probably will not let me use it. I will find a way for her to help set up a cache if she wants to. I'm trying to find a way to convence her that Geo-Caching is not a waste of time! She won't listen to me and I really want to set up a cache! Does anyone know what I can say to her to make her want to geo-cache too?

I'm trying to find a way to convence her that Geo-Caching is not a waste of time!

Geocaching is compatible with many outdoor activities. Think of the things you & your mom like to do for outdoor recreation (or anytime you’re outside). As you pass any nearby cache location, mention it, and ask if she’ll help you locate it sometime. Let her drive the GPS, for now. But some friends and relatives (even mothers), just won't be interested. Do you have other close relatives who might be?

Learning how to operate a GPSr is a useful skill. One way to learn that is by Geocaching.

Also, there are several types of caches. If you ask her for help on a tough-looking math puzzle cache, she might see the educational value in the hobby. Or if your mom likes word puzzles, she might enjoy solving one of those caches.

Edited by kunarion

Thank you. My mom doesn't like math at all and I don't really know if shes that into games... the only other thing that I should have mentioned before is she does not know how to use a GPS either. All of my other relatives live in other places. I'm sure I'll figure something out though! Maybe if when I go to my dad's house next, he can show me how to work his and I can ask to borrow it shortly. but he might not let me... any more suggestions?

Edited by KarateNeko2

Hi there

I see that you have found some geocaches in the past with your Dad. When you see him again tell him you really enjoyed doing the geocaching with him and say you'd like to do a few more - Maybe he'll be pleased that he's sparked an interest in this hobby with you. It sounds like you already have a spot in mind that you think would be a good place for a cache so make sure that it fits all the Guidelines then work on your Dad and explain that you really must have good co-ordinates from a GPS before you can go any further with it. I hope you can work something out with him.

Good luck

MrsB

I know the answer is probably no, but I don't know how to work a GPS really. If it's possible, I can give the closest location. I really want to set up a geo-cache! If it's not possible, I'll just have to figure the whole GPS thing out...

I suggest you first learn to operate a GPSr find a couple of geocaches. And after that you start thinking about hiding a geocache.

What you could do, is set up a letterbox-hybrid cache. There coordinates have to be used, but the rest is usually done with clues. i.e. you figure out the coors of the starting location with google earth and then take pictures or provide other clues.

Still, the way it is commonly done is: Know how to use the GPS first, finding second, hiding later.

GermanSailor

I see you have 10 finds now. I would suggest that you find more first. That way you can better see what makes a good hide and what makes a bad one. There is no requirement on the number of finds before you hide one, but the more you find, the more you can learn from other's mistakes.

In the mean time, you could save up some money. Maybe for your birthday or some other holiday, you could convince one of your parents to put up some money for a GPSr as a present. They wouldn't need to pay the entire thing, since you are saving [:)]

In the mean time, find as many caches as possible by borrowing a GPSr; going with friends that have GPSrs; or in a pinch, just type the coordinates into Google Earth and print a copy of the cache location.

Also, as mentioned before, you can look into letterboxing, http://www.letterboxing.org/

You won't need a GPSr for that, just fasion yourself some type of stamp.

Try a little different approach with Mom. Instead of referring to geocaching as a "game", let her know that it is a "family recreation" (sometimes 'games' turn parents' off). Something you guys can do "together". Let her know that she will probably discover neat things, sights and places close to home (and not-so-close) that she never knew existed.

Just maybe, she would like to go exploring with you. :)

Once she has had the opportunity to "find" a few, she may well become interested and see how much fun it can be. She might even want to help you with placing a hide or two!

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Maybe I'm forum-jaded, but my 'troll alarm' is going off full bore on this one.

i'm with you on that :)

i was just gonna ask the OP how old he/she is, trying to "extort" suggestions as to what to tell mom doesn't reassure me that he/she is old/mature enough

i don't remember the "sign up" process, does it have anything that requires one to attest as to their age, and the consent of a parent if underage?

hmmm, just checked there is nothing to that effect

Edited by t4e

Maybe I'm forum-jaded, but my 'troll alarm' is going off full bore on this one.

Check the profile -caches found.

April 20, 2009 by KarateNeko2 (10 found)

Cool cache! I found it with my grandparents (B&N64) and we signed it.

April 20, 2009 by B&N64 (88 found)

Great hide! We found it with our granddaughter. This was the second find of the day so she was really getting into it. She signed the log. Thanks for the cache!!

Would a Troll set up two accounts in order to provide identity...

(Well yes, they might, but it's a lot of work!)

Welcome KarateNeko2, I hope you can get someone to help you with your cache hide!

lol this is kinda interesting, as it's usually the parents trying to convince their kids to try Geocaching :)

If you want to increase your participation in Geocaching then how about instead just sending a few travel bugs traveling? That'd be a fun thing for you to be able to track their journey, eh? B)

Really, don't worry about hiding a cache until you have the required tools (a GPSr). Also not to burst your bubble but, if the GPRr you mom has is one of those dash mounted car navigator models it *might* not have the capacity to help in your hide. Just an FYI

Edited by NordicMan

I'm 13 years old and that was truly my grandparents. Why would I have found 88 caches then just start over with this account? That's just a waste of time!

I tracked one of the geo coins! it was first in New Mexico then it ended up in germany!

Thank you all. I might be able to ask for a GPS on my next birthday or holiday or go buy one myself if its not too expensive...

Oh, and what exacly is a "Troll alarm" ?

Oh, and what exacly is a "Troll alarm" ?

A Troll alarm is a button that's pushed by people who have no business trying to help people in the "Getting Started" forum. Don't mind them.

My daughter is in the same situation that you are in. When she is with her Dad, she goes geocaching. She started at age 8 and is now 15. She has about 1,500 finds. It is our favorite thing to do together and we have explored all over the United States. We both wish you good luck.

My mom is going to let me use her GPS. Its the TomTom one 3rd edition. It looks like its only for the car... will it still work?!

You'll need to get to a screen that shows GPS coordinates. Here's some info I found that I think applies to your TomTom:

"Click on the satellite reception icon near the lower right if the map display. You can then view the lat/lon from the button at the upper right showing the number of connected satellites."

My car GPS tries to route on streets as much as possible. It will be routing me on roads around a park even when I'm right beside the cache. "Pedestrian Mode", whatever, doesn't matter (so I have a handheld to use for caching). The point is, it may be a little tricky to use a car GPSr for Geocaching, compared to the handhelds used for hiking.

Once you get your cache coordinates, you can double-check them on an online map (Google, Bing Maps, Yahoo, etc.). Those maps are not always accurate, but you'll be able to see if it's close.

My mom is going to let me use her GPS. Its the TomTom one 3rd edition. It looks like its only for the car... will it still work?!

It'll work. We started geocaching using a TOM TOM 125, a unit one step below the 130 and found our first 100 caches with it. BUT.. it does have some limits. It is a bit trickier to locate a cache because as kunarion points out it wants to 'snap' to the road. You can get around that by using the location button which marks your spot independently of the roads but it's a little harder and doesn't update automatically. You can enter lat/long coordinates but can only enter one set at a time. Also, and these are really the biggest limitations, the Tom Tom is not weather proof so you'll need to very careful out in the wet weather especially since you borrowed it and the battery life is pretty short; it only lasts about an hour or so away from the car. We used to make a reading, pick out a landmark and then turn it off, walking to the landmark and turning it back on to see how close we were. Still, it was a blast and it hooked us completely on the sport. We wish you all the luck. And keep saving your money for the next GPSr.

Edited by Brooklyn51

Thank you. Maybe this is a little too much trouble. My dad helped me download one over the phone, but it won't work. I could just only geocache with him I guess... I think I know what to do now. thank you all for your help.

I will try to use the tomtom still. I'll charge it over night on my computor. I hope I can get it to work. If I can't I'll probably work with my dad on geocaches until I can buy one for myself. thanks again!

Edited by KarateNeko2