How am I supposed to search?

Str@tocaster

In every forum I've participated in the users are supposed to search for answers in old threads before posting new questions. I have now spent one half hour looking in threads that does not cover the area I am intrerested in. The reason? This forum does not allow me to search for words less than 5 characters.

I am looking for information about how to add a link in a log. I would like to look for the words link and log but that is not possible. What's the use of a forum if you cannot learn from what others allready published? Or am I wrong? Is there a way of doing these kind of searches?

In every forum I've participated in the users are supposed to search for answers in old threads before posting new questions. I have now spent one half hour looking in threads that does not cover the area I am intrerested in. The reason? This forum does not allow me to search for words less than 5 characters.

I am looking for information about how to add a link in a log. I would like to look for the words link and log but that is not possible. What's the use of a forum if you cannot learn from what others allready published? Or am I wrong? Is there a way of doing these kind of searches?

I am very new here and ran into the same problem. Maybe try search terms "linking" and "logging" together? I just had to extend out the words I wanted and got some ok results. Kinda strange you can't search 4 letter words.

Don't worry about it. Just ask your questions.

I have better luck searching the forum using google and being site specific to forums.Groundspeak.com

I've done this as well. This is a good option for any site with a clunky (or nonexistent) search function. If there are areas of the site that are premium only my guess is it's not indexed by google, but it's better than nothing.

This is really a dead-horse issue. DId you try doing a forum search for it first? :D

Seriously... to use Google, preface your search with the site: keyword, as in this search for the words "FTF" and "TFTC":

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...amp;oq=&aqi=

Thanks for your understanding, The Strat.

The search tools here have been modified to achieve a balance between search functionality and forum performance/speed/timeouts. If the limits on searches were removed, then the complaints about slow page loads and timeouts would escalate.

I know it is very frustrating so I appreciate your receptiveness to the helpful workaround offered above.

I have better luck searching the forum using google and being site specific to forums.Groundspeak.com

This is an acceptable solution to a problem that has prevented me from doing more posts. I get so pissed off at the forum search feature that I just walk away more often than not.

Now you will be able to get so pissed off at the forum search feature that you just walk away more often than not. :D

Back to the original question, just add the link in the log. The site will format it for you. It will appear like: (my log here [link] more log here)

Edited by 9Key

This is an acceptable solution to a problem that has prevented me from doing more posts. I get so pissed off at the forum search feature that I just walk away more often than not.

Now you will be able to get so pissed off at the forum search feature that you just walk away more often than not. :D

Are you supposed to say that 'p' word in here? You know, the family friendly site? Or does that only apply to geocahing.com and not the forums?

Edited by Team Cotati

Are you supposed to say that 'p' word in here? You know, the family friendly site? Or does that only apply to geocahing.com and not the forums?
I don't know, but apparently you can quote it with no problem. Are you supposed to be here without a shirt on? :mad:

I don't know, but apparently you can quote it with no problem. Are you supposed to be here without a shirt on? :mad:

Yes, my mommie told me that it was ok.