Cache Watch Question.

Cowboy Camper

Howdy folks, I hope I have this particular question in the proper forum. Anyhow, at the geocache Site there is a way to watch a cache and get emails sent to you for each log. I watch several of the caches near me to keep up to date on who finds them or what's going on with them. Did they get Disabled, Archived or Maintained? Am I the only one who can't seem to find this cache? Things like that is why I watch them. As a cache Owner now, I Automatically am already watching my cache. I tried to set my own cache to the watchlist and this is when I was informed that I already will get the emails for each log.

OK, that's cool... but here's my question.

Why can I see how many people are watching the caches (that others have hidden) that I am watching but I cannot see if anyone else is watching My cache? On many of the caches I'm watching there are only two folks listed. I presume those folks would be myself and the CO. That seems understandable to me. So, what am I missing here on My listing that I cannot even see if anyone else is watching my cache?

I guess I also have another question that can go with this. Is there a way to see Who it is that is watching any particular cache? As the CO, I might be interested in meeting some Local Cachers nearby that might be watching my cache. A first step in my mind would be to send that person a PM/Email, but I can't even tell IF anyone at all is watching my cache.

So... what am I missing here on my cache listing? Is it possible to see who's watching my listing? If so, what am I doing wrong here?

OK look at it now. You should see 1 person watching it. That's me.

Thank You. I see that now.

Prime Suspect, Good answer and I understand now. Thanks for the reply.

Touchstone, No way to see Who is watching that cache? That stinks. But!... Thanks for letting me know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks ALL for the replies! Thanks to you folks, I have a better understanding of how things work here.

OK look at it now. You should see 1 person watching it. That's me.

Thank You. I see that now.

Prime Suspect, Good answer and I understand now. Thanks for the reply.

Touchstone, No way to see Who is watching that cache? That stinks. But!... Thanks for letting me know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks ALL for the replies! Thanks to you folks, I have a better understanding of how things work here.

I once posted notes on a few of my caches that had several watches on them asking if anyone watching the cache would contact me with a PM to let me know why. I think I only got one response. It was someone that only had a basic membership and was using the watch feature as a bookmarking tool.

Why can I see how many people are watching the caches (that others have hidden) that I am watching but I cannot see if anyone else is watching My cache? On many of the caches I'm watching there are only two folks listed. I presume those folks would be myself and the CO. That seems understandable to me. So, what am I missing here on My listing that I cannot even see if anyone else is watching my cache?

Actually, it is highly unlikely that the cache owner is "watching" their own cache. (Yes, it is possible to add you own cache to your watch list, but the only benefit would be to get two emails with each posting rather than just one.)

As previously mentioned, you cannot see that no cachers are watching a cache (yours or someone elses), just if someone is.

While it would be nice to see who is watching your caches, having that information available would likely create too many problems. (Have you ever misdialed a phone number and then hung up before the other party answered, but then have them call back demanding to know who you are and why you are calling them?)

I'm not sure if you see having others watching your cache as an invasion of privacy or what??

I have a couple of caches that I am watching because I failed to find them on a previous visit and I would like to see if others succeed. At other times I watch a cache to see if a trackable I put there has moved on yet.

If the facility is there for me to do this, I don't see anything wrong in using it!

Chris

I'm not sure if you see having others watching your cache as an invasion of privacy or what??

I have a couple of caches that I am watching because I failed to find them on a previous visit and I would like to see if others succeed. At other times I watch a cache to see if a trackable I put there has moved on yet.

If the facility is there for me to do this, I don't see anything wrong in using it!

Chris

I personally find it an invasion of privacy!! But I'm a private kind of guy. :laughing: This is all a moot point, Jeremy Irish, back when he had time to interact in these forums all the time, has pretty much said he'll never make the watchlist public, and even threatened to get rid "x number of people watching this cache" being shown on the cache page altogether. I can take some time and find a link to this post, in the event anyone doesn't believe me. It was probably in 2005 or so. I watch caches for various reasons, and people watch my caches for various reasons. And I couldn't care less who they are, in either case.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

At other times I watch a cache to see if a trackable I put there has moved on yet.

I am going off topic but had to ask. Why don't you just put a watch on the trackable. I have several interesting trackables that I have a watch on (don't own them, just watching) just because it is fun to see where they go.

Chris

I think the OP said they might be interested in getting to know them, not trying to hide anything.

Cowboy Camper, there's another way for cachers to receive each log from a cache as email; and that is by using a Bookmark List and selecting "Notify me when items on this list are logged".

If that bookmarked list is private it won't show on the listing. I mention this as I rarely use Watch anymore (because watch list is PITA to clear) I mostly use bookmarks. Your caches with no watchers may be on someone's private bookmarked list. Conversely, I'm NOT receiving email from the caches on any of my public bookmarked lists.

Just more info.

Chris

I think the OP said they might be interested in getting to know them, not trying to hide anything.

That's correct. I was hoping to get to know the folks who might locally be caching by me. I now have a good idea of how to get them to ID themselves IF they Choose to answer my note/email that they'll get. Good idea, and thanks to whoever it was that mentioned it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I haven't tried working with the Bookmark Lists yet. So far, the Watch List has been working fine for me with the caches that I'm still watching. As my Found count goes up, the watch list might need to be replaced with a book mark list, I dunno. Or, maybe I should just clean out the watch list I have running. Really, how interesting can an LPC be after I've found the darn thing?

I guess I just never throw anything away, and I keep watching the caches I've found so far. Or the ones I intend to hunt for as soon as I can. Whichever the case may be. But... I can clean out the LPCs.

I just received an email that started out "You are receiving this email because this listing is on your watch list. Visit the web site to change your watchlist settings."

If I am receiving this, then somehow the CO was able to access the watchlist and e-mail me because I was on it. This would be contrary to what has been discussed in this forum previously. Thoughts?

"You are receiving this email because this listing is on your watch list. Visit the web site to change your watchlist settings."

If I am receiving this, then somehow the CO was able to access the watchlist and e-mail me

sorry, what you've posted does NOT say that the CO was able to access the watchlist and e-mail you. It says you got an email notification of a log to a listing on your watch list, per usual. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Did the cache owner e-mail you? or did you simply get the usual watch list notification?