GPS Free

MysticTutor

Keep in mind you are expected to use a GPS if you decide you are going to hide a cache.

We had a cacher in North-East Ohio that hunted and hid with google earth. ALL of his hides were off and he always complained that our hides were off. Drove us nuts till one day...he just went away!

So ALWAYS use a GPS to hide and be as accurate as possible. A good hide in a good spot with great lat/long goes a long way!

I tend to check aerial photos anyway before seeking a cache. There have been many times we have not bothered with a gps and found a cache. It adds an element of fun to it. Usually that is when we were doing some spur of the moment caching and I didnt have the coordinates with me, yet knew there was a cache in the area. For the most part though, we use the gps. The maps and aerial photos are not always that accurate.

You can do it with more precision and accuracy with a map & compass if you have the skills. A map tool helps. I'm going to attempt a few caches this way soon. Just reading off Google Earth doesn't cut it for placing caches, but a skilled navigator doesn't need a GPS at all.

I really want to set a cache (probably a multi) that requires orienteering skills with a map&compass and cannot be found simply using a GPS. But, figuring out how to set that one up is challenging since the GPS can do many things more quickly.

What's the point if you can only find simple ones? I think going without a GPS would take the fun out of the hunt.

I did this for several months while I had my GPSr in for repair and it was quite entertaining. It actually had a bit more to offer in terms of adventure. With a GPSr you know you're within a few meters (yards) and with google earth maps you know you're within about 30m. I looked at my history and I believe it was from 11 March 2009 - 13 June 2009 = 40 caches. 13 of those finds were in Thailand and 27 in California of which 26 were in Santa Cruz which has lots of trails / wilderness area. One particular cache (GCXJHT) the google image did absolutely nothing to help me out.

I'm telling ya that if you haven't tried it, you should. Do it for 1 month. I had all sorts of terrain to deal with which made that much more interesting. Trying to locate caches in a city could be a little boring but going out into the jungles / forests / wilderness is exciting. Places where there are trails you have to notice every bend in a trail, or other little features to assure you are in the ballpark. And for the record, Google earth bounces the cache image all over the place so it's not as precise as some might think. Running the cursor over the image and looking at the posted coords could help a little but I didn't bother.

This is something I would enjoy doing again from time to time. Not so worried if I break my GPSr agian. I think it's something that would be more fun to do with a companion vs going solo (which I did). Getting that someone else to go without their life support (GPSr) is like pulling teeth.

I found my first cache without a GPSr, but that was pretty straight forward. It was called "A Tank with a nano." We have two military tanks at a park near me. Very simple.

I've come across some containers that were very well camouflaged though. With those, I was glad to know when I was withing a few yards/feet.

I found my first cache without a GPSr, but that was pretty straight forward. It was called "A Tank with a nano." We have two military tanks at a park near me. Very simple.

I've come across some containers that were very well camouflaged though. With those, I was glad to know when I was withing a few yards/feet.

There are certainly lots of geocaches out there where getting close and letting your geosense kick in (like a cache called "A Tank with a nano") that can be found without a GPS.

However there are lots of caches that are 2 or more miles from the nearest parking and are "in the middle of the woods". I suspect that those that are caching without a GPS are probably finding a lot more caches near objects identifiable via satellite photos that caches that are located in the middle of a forest with the nearest identifiable road/structure over a mile away.

There are certainly lots of geocaches out there where getting close and letting your geosense kick in (like a cache called "A Tank with a nano") that can be found without a GPS.

However there are lots of caches that are 2 or more miles from the nearest parking and are "in the middle of the woods". I suspect that those that are caching without a GPS are probably finding a lot more caches near objects identifiable via satellite photos that caches that are located in the middle of a forest with the nearest identifiable road/structure over a mile away.

The key to those types of caches is use of topos, aerial imagery, etc, as well as the hint. It can (and has been) done.