Swag requirements/demands

Seragilo

Howdy Folks!

Being somewhat new to geocaching I am finding that some caches have requirements...now I am not talking about themed caches, which can be fun for all...especially those who the theme caters to. Like when I came across a book exchange cache! It was huge and stocked well and...umm, but I digress.

Lately I have come across a few that say (a couple of times in ALL CAPS) no dollar store 'trinkets'. I personally have a wide variety of swag covering many price points, however I do admit that I have some dollar store items. Miniflashlights, Keychains, geocaching magnets/buttons...So, my question is, would it be disrespectful if I *did* leave something dollar storish? The best part of caching for me, aside from seeing the niffty coins and TBs from around the world, is leaving something. Quite often I TNL:something 'cause we all know it is better to give then to receive! *snicker*

I just would like other's thoughts on this kind of request.

Thanks for the advice!

Seragilo

I figure as long as you are "trading up or trading even" there is no problem.

Frankly, if I saw something like that on a cache page I wouldn't leave anything or make any trades because I would assume the cache owner is enough of a "swag snob" that anything I left wouldn't be good enough in their eyes anyway.

Frankly, if I saw something like that on a cache page I wouldn't leave anything or make any trades because I would assume the cache owner is enough of a "swag snob" that anything I left wouldn't be good enough in their eyes anyway.

lol, I'd probably stock it full of dollar store items and leave a note stating I filled the cache for the owner.

Agreed. Trade up and don't worry about it.

Cache owners should be aware, that this type of "requirement" or "demand" most always generates a reverse effect. True, many would like their caches to be of top quality (subjectively), but it has been proven that cache degradation is inevitable, no matter what their desires are.

Perhaps they would like the continual "trade up" philosophy to hold true so that eventually, nothing other than Rolex's, diamond rings (no CZ, please), and Krugerrand's fill the cache.

These types of requirements hold about as much water as does a "trade only" TB prison (though many caches do hold much water).

This is a game of the masses and try though they may to dictate, I don't think it will work. :D

Lately I have come across a few that say (a couple of times in ALL CAPS) no dollar store 'trinkets'. I personally have a wide variety of swag covering many price points, however I do admit that I have some dollar store items. Miniflashlights, Keychains, geocaching magnets/buttons...So, my question is, would it be disrespectful if I *did* leave something dollar storish?

Sounds like a control freak cache owner. Cache ownership is difficult for control freaks because when you put a cache out in the wild it is difficult to control what happens with it. I guess placing demands on the page in all caps is an attempt to have some sort of control over what goes on with it.

They can't tell you what to trade because if they try to enforce it by deleting your log, it is an illegal ALR cache.

It is probably best to comply with the cache owner's wishes if they aren't too outlandish for the sake of harmony, but you aren't required to.

They can't tell you what to trade because if they try to enforce it by deleting your log, it is an illegal ALR cache.

It is probably best to comply with the cache owner's wishes if they aren't too outlandish for the sake of harmony, but you aren't required to.

I came across a cache awhile back that made trading an ALR. It was filled with McToys and I had no interest in trading so my log got deleted. I was recently in the area again and although the wording on the cache page remains the same, I decided to visit since ALRs are no longer "enforceable." It was still filled with McToys, but I left something just to be a good sport.

Cache degredation is inevitable, and unfortunately the problem will not be solved by making demands or requirements.

Log it. Lie about what you put in. He will never know.

Thats probably the best plan of action.

I rarely buy swag, I have acquired a sizeable stash from caches I have found. Some caches are too small to hold swag or are degrading to the point of becoming geo-trash. Thats like throwing swag away.

Obviously some hiders think of their caches are their own personal department store and the quality (or lack of) swag reflects badly on them.