One MILLION Dollar+ Cacher..... Russell H.

Snoogans

Does anyone here watch survivor?

There's a guy named Russell H. on the show this season (Samoa) who is a natural born cacher if there ever was one.

On the show (so far) he has found 3 hidden immunity idols, one of which saved his life in the game, but the seriously amazing thing was that he found 2 of them without a single clue. :lol: That's a survivor record and a display of natural cache finding ability. It was really fun to watch him find the last two.

He's also a Houston local. I found that out on the show last night.

I little digging got his last name, Hantz, the fact that he owns an oil tankering service (also mentioned on the show) in Dayton.

This guy HAS to be a cacher and if he ain't, we need to get him onboard. ;)

Oh, about the title, the prize for winning Survivor is 1 million, but Russell confided in a fellow survivor last night that he made 1.7 million last year. ;)

Anyone know if he actually has a geocaching account?

Funny you should pick that entertainment icon. On a flight from Hartford CT back home to Raleigh a few years back I sat in front of two guys from the WWF home office in Stamford CT. They were a bit too loud discussing an upcoming show and the plot development.

It was like learning that the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus weren't real. :lol:

Edited by wimseyguy

I too believe everything that I see and hear on television; especially in a competitive pseudo reality show. ;)

Surely you don't mean they would script a 'reality' show? ;):lol:

I have little doubt that what the network chooses to show us during the program is based upon a script. However, that doesn't mean that everything the participants on the show do is scripted. What I saw as one person that took the initiative to search for a hidden object before any clues were provided, and in the one case where there was a clue provided, and several other survivors were actively searching for the object, Russell was still able to get the FTF. The parallels between Russel's "Idol sense" and "geosense" are obvious even if what we end up seeing during the program is scripted. I would find it hard to believe that someone that claims to made $1.7 million last year was given tangible advantages to winning the $1 million dollar prize but I would welcome any evidence that proves the assertion that is being implied here.

Perhaps it isn't the advantage that was scripted, but the line "dude I made $1.7 million last year"?

Or perhaps it is all real and genuine?

We'll never know the truth. You probably have to sign all sorts of non-disclosure agreements to participate or work on these shows.

Perhaps I'm just being cynical? Carry on. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain writing the scripts. :lol:

This guy HAS to be a cacher and if he ain't, we need to get him onboard.

You must not have been watching the show very carefully. His other shenanigans would put him firmly into the "Not desired" category. Well, of course, he might well think lame caches are a bane to the hobby and pocket every one he comes across.

You must not have been watching the show very carefully. His other shenanigans would put him firmly into the "Not desired" category. Well, of course, he might well think lame caches are a bane to the hobby and pocket every one he comes across.

I didn't like him at first, but he has grown on me like mold. I seriously doubt he'll win, but I actually understand his mindset in the game. I could see myself doing some of that stuff to folks that stood between ME and a MILLION DOLLAR PAYDAY for me and my family. Especially when he was acting as if the rain and the cold had no affect on him like he did to demoralize the others subliminally. It IS a game and he's one of the more interesting players in the last several seasons. :lol:

I would bet that he was told by the producers to cut up to make ratings since he doesn't seem to neeeeed the money. I seriously doubt that he's a bad person in real life.

Regardless, he's a cacher whether he actually knows that or not. It would be interesting to find out how he would take to geocaching IF he's not a geocacher already....

I didn't like him at first, but he has grown on me like mold. I seriously doubt he'll win, but I actually understand his mindset in the game. I could see myself doing some of that stuff to folks that stood between ME and a MILLION DOLLAR PAYDAY for me and my family. Especially when he was acting as if the rain and the cold had no affect on him like he did to demoralize the others subliminally. It IS a game and he's one of the more interesting players in the last several seasons. :lol:

I would bet that he was told by the producers to cut up to make ratings since he doesn't seem to neeeeed the money. I seriously doubt that he's a bad person in real life.

Regardless, he's a cacher whether he actually knows that or not. It would be interesting to find out how he would take to geocaching IF he's not a geocacher already....

DD and I are fans of Survivor and this season we almost quit watching because of this guy. The way he talks about and treats his fellow tribe members is pretty despicable.

After awhile though - we came to respect his uncanny ability to find those hidden imunity idols (and thought many times that this guy would be an awesome geocacher). He is playing the game and while I may not enjoy his methods, I certainly respect his acumen.

Somehow I highly doubt he'd be much into caching though. He seems pretty focused on winning the big prize and even if he doesn't need the money, he is definitely in it for the glory of the win. Don't know if tupperware in the woods would be much of a draw for him, although I could definitely see him being in it for the sheer numbers.

Edited by ThePetersTrio

Somehow I highly doubt he'd be much into caching though. He seems pretty focused on winning the big prize and even if he doesn't need the money, he is definitely in it for the glory of the win. Don't know if tupperware in the woods would be much of a draw for him, although I could definitely see him being in it for the sheer numbers.

And for the FTF races!!

One of the major differences this season is the idols aren't buried. Exile Island style hides would have him completely stumped. This season the producers are making it relatively trivial to find the idol. No one but him is attempting to find it on their own.

I understand the reasons he's doing what he is doing. He is trying to demoralize the other players. It's a good tactic. In my opinion he's playing the game much better than 95% of the other players ever. He has never lost focus. Sure, he's playing it as an a**, but it is a game and that's the point. Would you want some one who plays the game the way he does to be a geocacher?

Would you want some one who plays the game the way he does to be a geocacher?

This is an apples and oranges comparison to me. Pseudo-reality T.V. and real life just don't compare especially when the prize is a MILLION bucks for the former.

I'd walk over a few people in real life for a payday like that as long as it wasn't illegal and it was in keeping with my own morals and ideals. Securing the future of my family comes FIRST and a MILLION bucks ensures some security into the long term for my family. Russell has mentioned that he's a family man (if that wasn't a lie) and my bet is that he's focused on that.

You just can't judge a person by the persona they display on T.V. Heck, Larry Linville got hate mail until the day he died for his role as Frank Burns on MASH. Go figure. :lol:

One of the classes I used to teach many, many years ago was wilderness survival. I waited with anticipation for the very first episode of Survivor to come on, as I had bought into all the hype in the commercials, and up to that point, I had no idea what "reality" TV was. After about 10 minutes, I changed the channel, and I've never looked back.

Based on its high ratings, I can only surmise that the show offers something worthwhile to a whole lotta folks.

Just not this one. :lol:

I didn't like him at first, but he has grown on me like mold. I seriously doubt he'll win, but I actually understand his mindset in the game.

I think a lot of people felt that way in the beginning. Now he's the main reason to turn it on.

The best thing I like about him is he's actually playing the game unlike so many idiots who just wanna be on TV a couple times. He has done his homework.

Yea, I'd say our prizes aren't enough to get him excited but he would be a good one!

I didn't like him at first, but he has grown on me like mold. I seriously doubt he'll win, but I actually understand his mindset in the game.

I think a lot of people felt that way in the beginning. Now he's the main reason to turn it on.

The best thing I like about him is he's actually playing the game unlike so many idiots who just wanna be on TV a couple times. He has done his homework.

Yea, I'd say our prizes aren't enough to get him excited but he would be a good one!

I agree with these posts. I still don't like the guy, but it's quite entertaining to watch. I watch the show to be entertained by the interpersonal intrigue and competition, not to see outdoors skills. So, his geosense is a bonus source of enjoyment.

I still stand by my prior post in another thread about this season of Survivor:

His name is Russell, and yeah, I will allow that he has some good Geosense. For those who don't watch, meet Russell:

survivor-samoa-natalie-russell-hantz19.jpg

Many geocaching communities have a Russell. He's the local "aggressive" FTF hound. He's the guy who sends disparaging private messages about other geocachers, while smiling and shaking their hands at the meet 'n greet. He's the guy who starts up forum threads about cache thieves and unfair trading, not because he is genuinely concerned about the issues, but because he "loves controversy." (Quoting Russell.)

Don't be your geo-community's Russell.

I wonder what a millionaire would leave as swag in a geocache? Boy I'd like to find that one !!!!

:angry:

As far as I know...most of the Millionaires who play leave nothing as swag, and they take nothing. That's how you become a Millionaire, by not wasting your money on Crap, like the rest of us clowns

We had a wealthy cacher in the Victoria area that left $100 bills and at least one blackberry as FTF prizes.

I too believe everything that I see and hear on television; especially in a competitive pseudo reality show. :unsure:

A couple of years ago we were lucky enough to be able to round off a family vacation in Australia with a few days at Club Med in the Whitsunday Islands. There was a group of non-Australian teenagers staying there, with a few adults. We found out that they were filming a reality show there, where allegedly the kids were roughing it, camping out on this dangerous, spider-infested island. Sure, except that every evening they moved into the resort for upscale buffets, an open bar, and comfortable rooms. :angry:

I wonder what a millionaire would leave as swag in a geocache? Boy I'd like to find that one !!!!

As far as I know...most of the Millionaires who play leave nothing as swag, and they take nothing. That's how you become a Millionaire, by not wasting your money on Crap, like the rest of us clowns

I know or have known quite a few millionaires... My Dad was a Doctor and while he certainly didn't several of his friends qualified. I worked for Desi Arnaz on his horse ranch. The owners of two huge trucking companies belong to my hunting club, etc.

One thing that is common to all of them is that unless you know that about them, you would never know. I met Arnaz in, I think, 1972 while he was pumping gas in his raggedy '64 Ford Falcon. Two-day growth of beard and in 401 Levi bib coveralls, I had no idea who he was until I went to his place weeks later. All of the millionaires I know are like that.

I know a few folk whom I suspect qualify as millionaires, but it isn't a question you ask and they ain't sayin'. Think about it and you likely know some millionaires too... but the point was that you had to think about it, they didn't announce it by putting Blackberries in caches!

The folks I have met who DO act like millionaires, throw swank parties and live flashily in the public eye are in fact so far in debt they'll never get out... partly because they think flash earns respect. As was mentioned earlier, few folks get (or stay) rich by spending their money!

I can say with some feeling of certainty that if any of them were to geocache they would not trade. They might leave geocoins at most.

They may take a helicopter to the hunting camp, but once there they'll fit in and be perfectly at home with us mortals!

And, I've met Jeremy... :unsure:

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I know or have known quite a few millionaires... My Dad was a Doctor and while he certainly didn't several of his friends qualified. I worked for Desi Arnaz on his horse ranch. The owners of two huge trucking companies belong to my hunting club, etc.

One thing that is common to all of them is that unless you know that about them, you would never know. I met Arnaz in, I think, 1972 while he was pumping gas in his raggedy '64 Ford Falcon. Two-day growth of beard and in 401 Levi bib coveralls, I had no idea who he was until I went to his place weeks later. All of the millionaires I know are like that.

I know a few folk whom I suspect qualify as millionaires, but it isn't a question you ask and they ain't sayin'. Think about it and you likely know some millionaires too... but the point was that you had to think about it, they didn't announce it by putting Blackberries in caches!

The folks I have met who DO act like millionaires, throw swank parties and live flashily in the public eye are in fact so far in debt they'll never get out... partly because they think flash earns respect. As was mentioned earlier, few folks get (or stay) rich by spending their money!

I can say with some feeling of certainty that if any of them were to geocache they would not trade. They might leave geocoins at most.

They may take a helicopter to the hunting camp, but once there they'll fit in and be perfectly at home with us mortals!

And, I've met Jeremy... :lol:

This has been my experience as well.The owner of the company I'm with is one now but one would never

know it.He was the CEO of the company I used to work for and invited me for the start up of his own.He

just seems to love the challenge of building the company,lives in the same house,nice but not high end.

I take way more time off each year then he does.I think its different when someone has started from

scratch and built it,opposed to the Mega rich by birth or the celebrity who finds themselves commanding $20 million a film over night.....funny how that works and how it effects people.If I came into millions I'd

probably just keep an appartment,the rest of the time I'd be in an RV living in parks..... a nice GPS

collection might be the only giveaway :unsure: