Giving hints

ras_oscar

I've had 2 cases where a fellow cacher asked for a hint on a cache I recently found. What is the appropriate response to such requests? Not going to tell what I did, but I'd appereciayte Any other input fellow finders wish to share.

Give your fellow geocacher the requested assistance, of course. Always.

I ask the fellow cacher, "how much do you want to know?", and share accordingly. If I know that the CO has asked people not to give hints, I consider that in my reply.

That's what I do also.

I quite agree. I would never ever ignore the request of the CO to not give out assistance to a fellow geocacher, never. Every time that I see such a request from a CO, I always make mental note of that fact so that I won't inadvertently slip up.

I do that ever single time. :mad:

I've had 2 cases where a fellow cacher asked for a hint on a cache I recently found. What is the appropriate response to such requests? Not going to tell what I did, but I'd appreciate Any other input fellow finders wish to share.
We just had a long thread on precisely this topic. You'll find it all here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=231471

My take: It isn't my business to be providing hints for somebody else's cache. It's up to them to manage this in the way they prefer.

See my sig line.

I've had 2 cases where a fellow cacher asked for a hint on a cache I recently found. What is the appropriate response to such requests? Not going to tell what I did, but I'd appreciate Any other input fellow finders wish to share.
We just had a long thread on precisely this topic. You'll find it all here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=231471

My take: It isn't my business to be providing hints for somebody else's cache. It's up to them to manage this in the way they prefer.

See my sig line.

Then you ought not do it.

I admit I have, but I rarely rarely ask anyone for hints. I think there is a huge difference between asking for a hint from the cache owner and asking for a hint from a cacher who has found the cache. If I ask for a hint, I will ask the owner and I would appreciate it if any cachers looking for hints on my caches ask me and not a previous finder.

So if you insist on asking for a hint, ask the cache owner first.

If someone e-mailed me looking for a hint, typically I'd suggest they ask the owner.

Edited by simpjkee

If someone is working on a cache that I've done, and they ask for a hint, I'll ask them what they've done so far and where they've looked. Then I'll give a nudge hint to get them on the right track.

To say that hints should only come from COs is, IMHO, wrong. Case in point... I was working on a puzzle cache and came up with two possible solutions. The cache description didn't have a puzzle checker. I went to each of the solution locations and spent 30 minutes looking only to come up empty handed. I emailed the CO and told him I had 2 locations, exactly where each one was, and all I wanted to know was which location was right. I'm still waiting for an answer. IMHO...he's lazy and non responsive.

I can't understand why anyone would give hints about a cache that isn't yours. :mad:

If the cache owner wanted to give out hints they would put it on the cache page. If they are asking you for a hint perhaps it is because the owner told them no.

Perhaps it is just because they need a little assistance. Assistance that I am always glad to provide.

I have to admit to loosening my morals in this area quite a bit in the years that I've been caching. I started out by being shocked that I was asked, and telling the caller (who I had probably just met once or twice at an event or at a cache site) that they needed to ask the cache owner.

Then I progressed to the point of sometimes giving in, but only with very vague hints. Not giveaways...just clues.

Eventually, though, not only did my PAF list grow, but my own number got added to more and more. I have some friends that I have to preface the conversation (if I am the one calling) with "DO NOT give this away... I only want a hint!" because otherwise, I will get an exact description that will ruin any sense of self-discovery for me. I also avoid giving the same sort of "hint" (using the word very loosely).

One thing that I must add to this confession... finding a cache after a PAF is a real letdown. Yes, you found it, yes, you get the smiley, but you know in your heart that it would have been a DNF if you had the same list of friends on your phone as that new kid on the block.

I'd tell them to ask the owner and let him decide if he wants to give one out.

I'd tell them to ask the owner and let him decide if he wants to give one out.

Sounds like the voice of reason.

I thought about it and thought about it.

My fist thoughts where...

For mine? FRELL NO! I ignore requests.

For another COs cache? Ask them.

But don't forget the "and thought about it" part.

I do have a price :(

For mine? I want 3 Large end regulars packed with swag and logs for each.

For another COs cache? I want 6 Large end regulars packed with swag, logs for each and shipping costs for three so I can send them to the CO if they want them. If not I'll pocket the shipping.

If they want to give me a high end Colorado or Oregon, I'll tell 'em exactly where every cache I find is from now till death. :anibad: