Comparing units

StarBrand

Colorado 300 - Oregon 200 - Endura Out&back - Delorme PN30 (anybody want to loan me the latest Triton??)

Ok - I have all of the above units and will spend some field time over the next few weeks with them all evaluating things under identical conditions. I have a list of tasks I will put them through (all Geocaching related). I will be back with reports (as objective as I can be) in all of the trials. My goal is to just report observations.

Right now - I'd like a few more ideas for comparisons. I'll leave off my list for now and listen for your ideas.

Ok Test Number One - time to get a position fix. Moved all 4 units powered off about 400 miles from last use. Added fresh batteries and powered on with clear view of the sky at the same time.

Oregon 200 - had a fix within 12 seconds.

Colorado 300 - had a fix within 18 seconds.

Lowrance Endura - had a fix within 44 seconds.

Delorme PN30 - had a fix within 71 seconds.

Powered off for 30 minutes - turned back on in same spot.

Oregon - 8 sec

Colorado - 9 sec

PN30 - 21 sec

Endura - 30 sec

Powered off for 4 hours - new postion (20 miles)

Oregon - 10 sec

Colorado 12 sec

PN30 - 24 sec

Endura - 29 sec

Oregon is the clear winner - Colorado easily 2nd - PN30 slight edge for 3rd - Endura barely in last.

Would like to see comparison of behavior in challenging (multi-path) conditions. How "stable" is the reported position in the neighborhood of GZ? That is, how consistent (and how correct) is the "pointer" in this environment? Since not all units have electronic compasses, I guess this has to be done with compass off to level the playing field.

In a more general sense, how "noisy" is the recorded track in multi-path conditions?

Comparison of workflow for loading a PQ?

Comparison of workflow in the field, especially for somewhat unusual operations like changing the location of the cache for stages of a multi, viewing the cache description when navigating (both to the cache and to an arbitrary waypoint in those cases where I cannot change the cache location), and so forth?

Ability to easily and accurately project a waypoint? Ease of using different distance units and magnetic/true for the projection?

Comparison of carrying convenience? Does any unit have an antenna orientation bias to the point of interfering with typical (lanyard, pocket, belt loop) means of carrying the unit?

Thanks for doing this. I have my own comparisons for PN-40 and CO, but no experience with OR or Lowrance.

Colorado 300 - Oregon 200 - Endura Out&back - Delorme PN30 (anybody want to loan me the latest Triton??)

I'll leave off my list for now and listen for your ideas.

First a big thank you for doing this comparison. Nothing like a very experienced user providing objective comparisons.

Since I'm of the belief that maps are the only reason to own a GPS, I don't GC, I'd like to hear your review of the GPS maps comparing readability, detail, usefulness, etc. Both the maps themselves and the maps in the context of the GPS.

What is the EPE of eac unit when they first get a fix? I have noticed that some units report a fix faster but the EPE is huge while the unit that report a fix later the EPE is a vallid number.

Good point. But a better question might be "How long does it take the initial approximate fix to converge on a realistic estimate of my current position?" Comparing EPE figures across models, let alone across manufacturers, is a slippery slope. No two use the same formula, so you're never comparing apples to apples.

Test Number 2: Practical Geocaching in tough conditions.

Perfect day for this test. A bit of drizzle and high winds knocking the colorful leaves off the trees in great swirls along with a thick canopy overhead and tall trees. Looking for a steady sat lock and constant updates of the navigation information displayed on the compass screen. Of course a nice easy search for the cache at the end. Search for the following 2 caches: Oh Nuts and Walk on the Wildwood.

For the fist cache:

Colorado 300 - nice steady sat lock during the walk and as we approached the cache area but then was jumpy (+/- 20 feet) near the cache location. Laid down on a log and left for 10 minutes - never did settle down completely but jumped +/- 10 or so. Constant updates - stong signals -all the time.

Oregon 200 - pretty good. Lost signal and fix very briefly during a big gust of wind and a tornado of leaves around us. At the cache site settled down varied by only +/- 5 feet over 10 mintues time.

Endura Out&Back - Maintained a good solid sat lock except for a bit longer moment at same time as the Oregon. Big problem was the well documented "freeze" of the compass arrow that can last 30 to 45 seconds at a time despite the rest of the data on the compass screen continuing to display a countdown and heading change (that will get lost fast!!) consistently. Good thing I had other units along or would have been off the wrong way following the errant arrow. At the cache site - showed a very solid 3 to 5 feet from the cache when it was right over it. Not much variation at all and darned near zeroed out on the cache!!

PN30 - Held the satillite lock well but showed weaker signal strenth and did lose fix for a bit longer than the Oregon at same moment. Much like the Endura it settled down quickly near the cache location and only varied the reading by +/- 5 to 9 feet on top of the cache.

All in all, I was very luck to find this cache as I had set the Endura and Colorado down on the log that was directly above the cache. The Endura and PN30 stayed so steady ion the reading that I concentrated my search there and found it among all the leaves and rotting tree debris. Great fun!!

I'll have to give this round to the PN30 but just barely. Tie for second has to be the Colorado and Oregon. Endura is in dead last due to the whacky compass but kudos for steady reading at the cache.

Cache number 2:

Colorado and Oregon held on to the sats with strong signals the whole time. Both read 8 feet at the cache location and varied by +/- 6 feet or so. Very strong signals.

Endura had the same compass arrow failure but I kept a close eye on the actual text data and it showed the correct info updated regularly. Lost sat lock and fix 2 times during big gusts of leaves but recovered quickly. At the cache site showed a remarkably close 2 feet with no variations over time.

PN30 again showed weak signals and larger EPE but never lost the fix and pointed in the right direction. Showed 12 feet and varied +/- 6 feet over time at the cache.

CO and OR on top with number 2 but just barely and the PN30 very close behind. The Endura would have me terribly lost by now if I relied on that big thick compass arrow.

Overall - I'd say the CO, OR and PN30 tied on this test. Endura was impressive in close but terrible getting me there.

What is the EPE of each unit when they first get a fix? I have noticed that some units report a fix faster but the EPE is huge while the unit that report a fix later the EPE is a valid number.

Edit to correct spelling errors

All had inital fixes with high EPE between 150 and 250 feet.

The Oregon settled down to a steady 20 feet the quickest. Colorado was close behind. Both around 45 or so addtional seconds.

The Endura took a full 3 minutes or so to zero in better. The PN30 took a bit over 1 minute.

Wow StarBrand that's some nice detail you're getting for your report!

You mention some of the units temporarily lose signal and then regain it back. Does it appear all the units "honestly" report the moment they lost signal?

A potentially interesting test to try with all the units: Take them outside, somewhere with a clear view of the sky & good satellte lock. Then, quickly take the unit into a building or tunnel, and see how many seconds elapse until the unit claims to have lost signal lock. Some units tend to fib about whether or not they still are locked in lol.. the old Magellan Meridians come to mind :mad:

I'm seeing good suggestions for tests (and good execution...thanks, StarBrand!)

I would suggest seeing how the devices do with a benchmark having adjusted coordinates...perhaps even coming back to visit it (or others) on more than one day. How much apparent error; how consistent? Can you tell which has a more liberal or conservative EPE?

I'll probably be bookmarking this thread.

I just ordered a pn-30 (not so patiently waiting for its arrival!!), so I'd like to thank you for these trials!! I'm very hands-on, so reading reviews doesn't compare with actual usage for me.... This exactly the kind of stuff I wish every review could offer! We took my friend's oregon out with my geomate jr... and i've gotta say, junior held its own against the big-gun!

I'd love to hear about battery length!

Being a map person, trail cacher and used to a GPS with a larger display (Lowrance H20C), generically speaking, how difficult would it be for me to adapt to the smaller display of the PNs? I would like to borrow one and see for myself but haven't had an opportunity yet.

I don't want to get too ahead here with reviews but - the PN screen has its good points but size isn't one of them. It seems quite cramped for space but keep in mind I have a Colorado and an Oregon. Having said that - I think you could adapt.

Being a map person, trail cacher and used to a GPS with a larger display (Lowrance H20C), generically speaking, how difficult would it be for me to adapt to the smaller display of the PNs? I would like to borrow one and see for myself but haven't had an opportunity yet.

I emigrated from a Magellan eXplorist XL and didn't have much issue. My bi-focals use a lower magnification

than that level which was recommended; subjectively 'speaking' "YMMV".

Norm

I emigrated from a Magellan eXplorist XL and didn't have much issue. My bi-focals use a lower magnification

than that level which was recommended; subjectively 'speaking' "YMMV".

Norm

I find I sometimes need to remove my glasses when looking at the screen while holding the unit, my glasses make it blur (I can't see signs and such from a distance), but have no issue when it's on my dashboard or such.

Ok 2 more tests done. Battery life.

All of these units use AA batteries so a direct comparison of battery life makes at least some amount of sense. I used brand new rayovac hybrid batteries (2100mah) all freshly, fully conditioned on my fancy battery charger. In the future I'll run the same 2 tests with off the shelf energizers.

Test 1 - practical field test for a long day of driving and caching. All units used for the same basic functions and to navigate to the same caches and log a field note for all of them. All units settings for backlight use were as close as is possible (30 seconds). Vistited 14 caches across a very rural area with time for a long lunch and a little sight seeing. Left the units on the seat of my Jeep while not caching but turned on. Semi frequent backlight use while approaching caches. Checked at least every 15 minutes.

Oregon 200 - 13.5 hours before it faded out. (longer than I had expected!!)

Colorado 300 - 11.75 hours

Endura Out&Back - 7.75 hours

PN-30 - 5.75 hours (sad)

Test 2 - turned the units on and just let them aquire a signal and just sit in one spot no button presses and other than initial startup - no backlight use - checked every 30 minutes

Oregon - 14 hours

Colorado 13 hours

Endura - 8.5 hours

PN-30 - 7 hours

Keep in mind that temperature and small variations in the batteries may have played an important role here and that each test was a single trial only.

Edited by StarBrand

Next test - Screen readability with no backlight and full backlight on battery. Indoors (well lit) and outdoors partly sunny skies.

I recruited some perfect strangers and non Geocachers for this test. I let the units warm up, aquire a fix and display the unit's own topo map for the area I was at with as equal a zoom setting as possible and 3 geocaches in the view. I simply asked several folks to point out the caches and rank the units for general readability. Allowed my subjects to hold the unit and change the viewing angle to the best they could get. The rankings were clear. Very clear. 7 different people.

Indoors - no backlight:

Best - PN30

Colorado 300

Oregon 200

Worst - Endura Out&Back (deemed near worthless by several)

Outdoors - no backlight:

Best - PN30

Colorado 300 (1 out of 7 ranked it number 1)

Oregon 200

Endura (1 out of the 7 ranked it 3rd and Oregon last)

Indoors - full backlight:

Colorado 300 (2 2nd place)

PN30 (2 first place)

Endura (1 first place - rest 3rd)

Oregon

Outdoors - full backlight:

Tie Colorado 300, PN30, Endura

Oregon

I really must note that 3 of the 7 commented on the smallish size of the PN30 screen - although they ranked it well for readability.

Wow StarBrand that's some nice detail you're getting for your report!

You mention some of the units temporarily lose signal and then regain it back. Does it appear all the units ....

I'll run some more tests for this issue (good idea!!) but - I'd say the Endura was being completely honest about the signal loss but I really do think the Colorado may have also lost a fix for a brief moment but was less honest about reporting it. The other 2 - I am just not sure. I'll run a test!

Test 1 - practical field test for a long day of driving and caching. All units used for the same basic functions and to navigate to the same caches and log a field note for all of them. All units settings for backlight use were as close as is possible (30 seconds). Vistited 14 caches across a very rural area with time for a long lunch and a little sight seeing. Left the units on the seat of my Jeep while not caching but turned on. Semi frequent backlight use while approaching caches. Checked at least every 15 minutes.

PN-30 - 5.75 hours (sad)

Assume you were using the "combined" map/cache screen on the Colorado. Out of curiosity, what screen did you display on the other units (especially the PN-30) for this test? Just curious since I know that displaying maps -- especially at a high zoom level -- will cause some of these units to eat batteries even faster.

PN-30 - 5.75 hours (sad)

Assume you were using the "combined" map/cache screen on the Colorado. Out of curiosity, what screen did you display on the other units (especially the PN-30) for this test? Just curious since I know that displaying maps -- especially at a high zoom level -- will cause some of these units to eat batteries even faster.

Really various screens as I was Geocaching through much of it. Mostly compass screens while navigating to the cache but some use of maps screens and of course the Geocache selection screens and logging screens. When not in use while seeking a cache - just on the map screen at similar .3 mile zoom level

Great info you're posting!

I say the following only partially in jest, as it affects how you look at the visibility rankings...

Who even uses these hi-res units without the backlight on?

While outdoors (unless of course, it's night) I rarely use the backlight on my PN-40. Same was true when using my 60csx.

While outdoors (unless of course, it's night) I rarely use the backlight on my PN-40. Same was true when using my 60csx.

He said the "hi-res" units. The Delorme units are not hi-res.

This has been beat to death and now the same misinformation, over and over again.

High resolution is measured by density, and for LCDs, in terms of dots per inch, DPI.

High resolution is NOT defined by absolute screen size.

The DPI of the DeLorme PN series GPSrs is equivalent, or greater, than those of other brands.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

The DPI of the DeLorme PN series GPSrs is equivalent, or greater, than those of other brands.

Oregon/Colorado 157 dpi which IS really high resolution.

I can't seem to find the Delorme screen dimensions anywhere. Assuming the aspect ratios are close, I'm guessing around 120 dpi making the pixels around 50% larger in area. This is more "normal" resolution. It is very similar to the Garmin etrex line. Anyone who has seen those side by side next to an Oregon knows there is a big resolution difference.

Edited by Red90

Oregon/Colorado 157 dpi which IS really high resolution.

I can't seem to find the Delorme screen dimensions anywhere. Assuming the aspect ratios are close, I'm guessing around 120 dpi making the pixels around 50% larger in area. This is more "normal" resolution. It is very similar to the Garmin etrex line. Anyone who has seen those side by side next to an Oregon knows there is a big resolution difference.

You had made a similar remark last spring regarding this and Lee had advised you the DPI for the DeLorme is estimated at 125 DPI. Just because one screen has a "higher" resolution than another screen, does not make 125 DPI a low res screen. They are both display in QVGA mode which is defined with a similar range and still considered the same series of resolution. It may be considered "normal" but that doesn't make it "low" either. In essence, unless I'm mistaken, they both still display 65K colors.

It may be considered "normal" but that doesn't make it "low" either.

I did not say it was low res. I said is was not hi-res. I said it was normal-res.....

You had made a similar remark last spring regarding this and Lee had advised you the DPI for the DeLorme is estimated at 125 DPI.

Did I? Who knows.... You must have a great memory....

I DO know that I make maps for Garmin units and the customized lines need to be different for an etrex than a Colorado/Oregon due to the resolution differences. In fact, I've had complaints by trying to make them the same. As the etrex display is almost identical to the Delorme one (in size and number of pixel)s, I stand by what I say.

er... I wouldn't try to argue that the DeLorme is "high-res" when being compared to the other units under discussion. Wherever you're drawing the line for "high" resolution, the other units are "higher resolution than DeLorme" -- and the difference between 120 and 150 dpi is pretty visible. But higher resolution isn't always a good thing: Contrast can often be better on a lower resolution screen.

Numbers aside, screen usability is often very subjective. So I'd say StarBrand's approach of showing the displays to a bunch of folks and asking opinions is a pretty good one.

But higher resolution isn't always a good thing: Contrast can often be better on a lower resolution screen.

And I did not say the higher resolution was "better". IMO, it is better for some things and worse for others. The larger screen is better, though, IMO.

As far as the backlight usage. I (personally) do not find the need for more backlight usage with teh Colorado versus when I used a 60cx or an etrex. For the Colorado, it is important to adjust the default settings so that the map background is white.

Found a yardstick. 125-130 pixels per inch is in the ballpark for a PN-40. No I didn't count the pixels, but did connect a saved screenshot directly from the device SD card to a couple of photo editors in a computer. Concensus is that the *.bmp screenshot image is saved at a pixel count of 176x220 at 24 bit color depth.

er... I wouldn't try to argue that the DeLorme is "high-res" when being compared to the other units under discussion. Wherever you're drawing the line for "high" resolution, the other units are "higher resolution than DeLorme" -- and the difference between 120 and 150 dpi is pretty visible. But higher resolution isn't always a good thing: Contrast can often be better on a lower resolution screen.

Numbers aside, screen usability is often very subjective. So I'd say StarBrand's approach of showing the displays to a bunch of folks and asking opinions is a pretty good one.

Lee, I didn't argue the DeLorme is as high res. This time I thought my statement was pretty clear on that.

And Red, no agrument, you didn't call the DeLorme low res, but it is still within the definition of high res as far as PDA screens go. For that matter, the iPhone is a higher res than the high end GPS. The DeLorme is just not as high as the other units. This I believe we can be on agreement from different directions. The higher DPI allows for finer lines to be drawn. There's an advantage to that. Oh, and the memory is also coupled with good key words to search on. :ph34r:

Starbrand, noted on readability. This side discussion wasn't started by the PN fanboy club. :laughing:

Wow,

I posted a simple response to Redwoods Mtn Biker's comment and when I come back I see every things gotten crazy. This is why I've been avoiding these threads for awhile, every little thing seems to get turned into an argument. I wasn't trying to defend or tear down any product. The comment "these hi-res units" seem to be referring to all the units in the test. If you don't consider the PN-40 "Hi-Res", fine. No big deal to me. It's odd though, I also mentioned the 60csx in the same comment and that was ignored. Is the 60csx "Hi-Res"? Someone want to count it's pixels?

Sorry my post stirred things up Starbrand. Please continue with your evaluations. I find them quite interesting.

Edited by Pax42
Lee, I didn't argue the DeLorme is as high res...
I only put in my 2 cents worth in because you brought up a post I entered months ago -- in a way largely irrelevant to the matter at hand. I agree with StarBrand's method of collecting multiple users' subjective opinions on the screen readability of various units, and that's more useful than arguing about DPI. Edited by lee_rimar

Wow,

I posted a simple response to Redwoods Mtn Biker's comment and when I come back I see every things gotten crazy. This is why I've been avoiding these threads for awhile, every little thing seems to get turned into an argument. I wasn't trying to defend or tear down any product. The comment "these hi-res units" seem to be referring to all the units in the test. If you don't consider the PN-40 "Hi-Res", fine. No big deal to me. It's odd though, I also mentioned the 60csx in the same comment and that was ignored. Is the 60csx "Hi-Res"? Someone want to count it's pixels?

Sorry my post stirred things up Starbrand. Please continue with your evaluations. I find them quite interesting.

I wouldn't take it too personally, Pax.

It can happen to anybody who makes complimentary remarks regarding DeLorme or one of their products.

For example, here is the response to a comment from snow rules:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4081537

Oh boy, I really didn't mean to start something. As someone who has used and tested all the units in question, I consider the DeLorme units to be moderately hi-res. They are without a doubt the brightest units being discussed, and are very readable in sunlight. The other three series -- I expect that most people will use them with the backlight on.

Oh yeah, RMB, glad that you mentioned that as I forgot to respond to your appropriate comment there.

See below.

I say the following only partially in jest, as it affects how you look at the visibility rankings...

I agree, particularly while driving.

That is why I have the adapters and cables to keep my DeLorme PN-40 powered up from 12VDC at all times in my Jeep.

Check this:

12VDC (Car) PN-40 Charger:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10993613

The other three series -- I expect that most people will use them with the backlight on.

I only use the backlight on my Colorado when driving, or when I'm caching after dark...during the daytime, when I'm caching, I always have the backlight turned off to conserve power.

The other three series -- I expect that most people will use them with the backlight on.

I only use the backlight on my Colorado when driving, or when I'm caching after dark...during the daytime, when I'm caching, I always have the backlight turned off to conserve power.

I can't see my colorado screen in my house unless the backlight is on. I have a small contrast issue with my eyesight so I need the backlight even outdoors in the sun.

Rechargable batteries!! Way to go!

I agree, particularly while driving.

That is why I have the adapters and cables to keep my DeLorme PN-40 powered up from 12VDC at all times in my Jeep.

Check this:

12VDC (Car) PN-40 Charger:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10993613

Should have gone for a garmin, you can use a universal charger or motorola charger available in the UK for between £4.99 and £6.99 not sure of the exchange rate. with the garmins they auto backlight on when plugged in. I also bought a holder for mine £6.99 :D

I figure this test will stir a bit of contrversy. I also admit that there is some amount of bias (mostly generated by the order in which each used the units) but it just couldn't be helped.

Ease of use for a new cacher: Navigating to a cache.

I recruited 8 non cachers and gave each a crash course in Geocaching and each of the units (10 minutes on caching and 5 minutes just before they used each unit - select the nearest cache and use the compass screen to Navigate to it, read the details and hints as necessary). Then I just sat back and observed - no further help (bogus caches - setup for testing only). 4 caches - each the same distance from the starting point (.15 miles - similar terrain and obvious hide) and each an ammocan hidden in different ways.

Based purely on feedback from the users and success rates - here are the rankings:

Oregon 200

PN30 & Endura Out-n-Back (tie)

Colorado 300

The Oregon was easily rated as the easiest and most intuitive unit to use. All 8 "students" found the cache and all found reading the cache details easy. Only 4 of the 8 sucessfully read the hint. Virtually no drunken bee dance as they approached the cache. Few screen switches and nobody got lost in settings or menus. Average time to complete was 16 minutes.

The PN30 was rated high by the students after the cache was found but I observed a lot of stop and go as users switched screens and occasionally got lost in the interface. Only 5 read the description and the hint. I was actually surprised at the ranking given my observations. Most walked straight towrds the cache area. 7 of 8 found the cache in about 21 minutes average. The remaining student switched off the unit and could not figure out how to turn it back on. Some folks are just compelled by this unit. (its growing on me too)

The Endura proved easy to use for selecting a cache and reading the details. Most all the students liked the hybrid between touchscreen and 'real' buttons and were very complimentary of the interface. Navigation proved to be an odd exercise in observation as it looked like some kind of sailing race as they "tacked" a zigzag course towards the cache location (slow updates on the nav screen likely). Strangely, the students seemed most compeled to stare at the unit and not look where they were going with this one. However 8 for 8 successful with a 24 minute average. They liked the interface and graphics but noticed "odd' things while navigating.

The Colorado's Rock-Roller switch proved very confusing to most all of the students as they kept trying to use the unit as a touchscreen interface. Once they figured out how to get between screens - all read the descriptions but zero found the hints. 6 of 8 found the cache and once they got started navigating they walked nearly straight to the cache but too much time was spent figuring out the RnR wheel. Average tinme wa s 18 minutes. One student gave up lost in a menu screen and another kept selecting the wrong buttons to accomplish basic tasks and ended up navigating to a waypoint they had marked a few minutes before.