Does anyone know...Sladonians ?

Does anyone know this particular geocacher?

If so could they please ask them exactly what are their intentions towards a geocoin of mine they picked up from Reach for the Sky on 12/3/2009 and nothing since:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1899333

I have emailed the Sladonians repeatedly over the last few months but have had no reply.

As the coin was given to my son on his birthday he's feeling just a little gutted that this coin was picked up and never deposited anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rik

Edited by tsiolkovsky

Does anyone know this particular geocacher?

If so could they please ask them exactly what are their intentions towards a geocoin of mine they picked up from Reach for the Sky on 12/3/2009 and nothing since:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=189933

I have emailed the Sladonians repeatedly over the last few months but have had no reply.

As the coin was given to my son on his birthday he's feeling just a little gutted that this coin was picked up and never deposited anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rik

Rik

Link points to a white Jeep TB - have you got the reference number correct?

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1899333

Correct link ^^

Premium member. last logged in in July.

Have logged caches after taking the coin.

Posting a note on one of thier owned cache pages may be the next step.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b5-6e49ecea747e

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d0-3826677cc1b1

Looking at thier profile they currently have 4 of the five geo coins they have picked up still in thier possesion.

The Sladonians also appear to have kept a Clifton Suspension Bridge geocoin of mine and have not responded to my emails either!

Clifton Suspension Bridge geocoin

It was placed in the Ruby Conker cache which they found on 18th March 2009. The cache owner has checked the cache for me and, according to the paper log in the cache, they removed the "Clifton Coin" despite the online log stating they removed the 'Harrogate coin'. As they didn't register that they had picked up my coin from this cache I have had to declare its whereabouts as unknown otherwise other cachers would still expect to find it in the Ruby Conker cache.

I'm hoping that somebody out there knows these people and can get them to respond to emails, to place the geocoin in another cache and get it on its way again, or to let someone else grab it from them. Looking at their profile they haven't found any caches since June 09 but they had 3 months in which to move my coin before then. Perhaps something has happened to them. Does anyone know?

Is this an issue that one of the Moderators can help with?

RPP

Edited by RPP

Hmmm...

I don't know anything about Sladonians but with a little detective work I think it might be possible to contact them another way:

In their log for the first cache they ever found they mention that there's a good view of the back of their house.

They also put out two caches earlier this year and in the description they mention their village and their local pub.

Have a look on their profile page and read their forum posts from earlier this year.

The clues are out there... It all depends how much you want to be a private detective I guess. :mad:

MrsB

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have now added a note to both of their caches and wait their response/action with bated breath.

RPP

As a cacher and landlord of a village pub, may I suggest the following?

Design an A4 poster, something like "Attention Sladonians, please release any Geocoins in your posession back into the wild where they belong"

email it to their local pub landlord asking if he would kindly display it on the pub notice board. (A bit of an explanation may be needed.)

info@thewoolpackinn-slad.com

I'm sure he wouldn't mind, I know I certainly wouldn't.

Baz

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have now added a note to both of their caches and wait their response/action with bated breath.

RPP

As a cacher and landlord of a village pub, may I suggest the following?

Design an A4 poster, something like "Attention Sladonians, please release any Geocoins in your posession back into the wild where they belong"

email it to their local pub landlord asking if he would kindly display it on the pub notice board. (A bit of an explanation may be needed.)

info@thewoolpackinn-slad.com

I'm sure he wouldn't mind, I know I certainly wouldn't.

Baz

I've just been having a look at their profile, and they seem to have had some significant gaps in caching. They picked up a coin in Nov '08 and then didn't go out again until Mar '09 and they then dropped the coin off. They're currently holding onto a few coins but haven't been caching since June this year, so maybe there's still hope.

I've had a response to my notes posted on the Sladonians cache pages! :D

Apparently the 'original' Sladonian passed away earlier this year and his son or daughter has now taken over the caches and the ID. He/she has promised to look for the geocoin in his/her father's possessions and get it back to me (though I think it would be easier to just place it in one of their 2 caches). Of course there is no guarantee that it will be found in his possessions and it's not high on the list of priorities!

I suggest that other cachers with 'lost' coins/TBs try contacting Sladonians again now so that he/she knows how many he/she's looking for.

RPP

Glad to hear that you have located your coins.

Can I just say, that people do need to 'calm down' slightly on these sorts of things.

Origninal A1 is absolutely correct - at times there are genuine reasons why people have things that are collected from a cache and not moved on for a very good reason, and often a protracted period of time. Take it from me, I know.

I was recently - HOUNDED about a TB and coin that I had in my possession that I wasn't able to release for some very very good reasons yet the type of mails I was getting were borderline outrageous!!!!

I wonder had the people bothered to check my profile they may have been able to apply an element of geocachine intellect and put 2 + 2 together......then they may have been slightly less IRRITATING!

I am sure this will prompt a reaction, if it does so be it, it isn't meant to, however before I get abused again may I suggest that I may not be able to respond quickly due to being away on a regular basis.

:anicute:

Whilst there is never an excuse for sending emails that are abusive/outrageous there is also the point that if , for any reason whatsoever, a cacher cannot move a TB or Geocoin on within a reasonable time it is a very simple task to simply send an em/PM to the TB/Coin owner to explain and not just leave him/her in the dark.

Whilst there is never an excuse for sending emails that are abusive/outrageous there is also the point that if , for any reason whatsoever, a cacher cannot move a TB or Geocoin on within a reasonable time it is a very simple task to simply send an em/PM to the TB/Coin owner to explain and not just leave him/her in the dark.

I would agree with this normally but in this case Sladonians could not contact the owner as, unfortunately, he had died.

Had I been his son and some of the tactics suggested in this thread been tried I would not have been very happy. I know it can be annoying if a coin or TB goes missing but if a polite email or two goes unanswered just forget about it. Most turn up eventually and if it doesn't, just remember this thread and think how lucky you are to have only lost a TB!

My condolences to the Sladonian family and if the son and daughter do carry on with their fathers account I hope they do not find this thread.

My comment was not actually aimed at the Sladonians but more at people who simply say "I just can't find/have the time to get out caching" thats all.

I normally send 2 emails to try and prompt an action and then give up but saying that, if I can't get out or find a suitable cache I will normally send an email or PM withing 3 weeks of pick up.