Have you ever seen a BOOK as a TB?

MsMotorcycle

I found the perfect book today! At a thrift store even! And there were 2 copies! And only 89 cents! Can you tell I am SOOOO excited?!

I purchased 4 travel bugs last year, sent one out right away called "Traveling Soldier" and the other 3 have been sitting on my desk ever since. I wanted to think up some original, really cool items to send out into the geocaching world, yet at the same time realizing that they could just disappear suddenly and I shouldn't put too much thought or money into them. I've obviously procrastinated too long.

I'm headed for a Mega Event next weekend, my first Mega ever, and want to take them with me. (No, I will not drop them in the event itself, I will either hand them to cachers I know will move them or put them in the local TB HOTEL cache while there.)

Anyway, the book is called "Life's Little Instruction Book" and has "511 suggestions, observations, and reminders on how to live a happy and rewarding life." I will request finders to pen their trail name behind one or several of their favorite quotes in the book and also to log the number of that quote when they log the TB. I've started by putting my name behind 6 or 7 of my favorites. The goal is to eventually have all 511 quotes with at least one name behind them.

Why the second copy? When folks log online the numbers of their favorite quotes, I can look in my second copy to see what they are. I'm such a people-watcher and this is one way, a fun way I think, to people-watch without being seen.

Thanks for all the great opinions, I will post the link to the new TB soon.

I'm thinking of using a small book as a Traveler, I would put it in a baggie, of course. Have you ever seen one? What do you think?

Sounds like a neat idea. What book are you considering?

I was considering a book called "The Secret" but haven't finished reading it yet. I found an alternative book today, read my post before this one...

Edited by MsMotorcycle

This new Travel Bug, along 3 others of mine, will be released this weekend at the Mega Event in West Bend, WI. My intent is to hand it to someone I know to be assured it will get logged, but if not, I will be dropping it in a TB CLUB CACHE in town while I'm there.

I'm so excited to see how this one goes over.

I also have a Dear Diary TB where people add an entry if they wish.

I just love reading what other people have written!!

I've seen more than one. It wasn't actually a TB. And it wasn't actually a "book" book. It was one of the first items I ever saw that was sent out to travel, but it was sent out before Travel Bugs were ever made. CT Trampers sent out a log book, hoping it would come back to them someday, and it did! Someone brought it to one of our local Wings and Beer events and handed it to them. It was pretty darn cool, I tell ya! It came back without a tracking number or being logged in and out of caches. I don't have a link, because it wasn't a trackable Travel Bug.

The other one was also a log book, sent out to be signed by "The Usual Suspects" which included a group of local cachers. Back then local meant anyone in 100 mile radius, because there weren't a lot of cachers around any one area. We all had to drive to meet, sometimes to other states. It also included some forum regulars from back in the day, and some of the geocaching chat regulars. The owner wanted it signed by them. StayFloopy emailed me, told me where it was, I went and got it, and took it to an event in NYC, met Mayor Bloomberg, had him sign it, then handed it to a cacher who it out to Seattle and had Jeremy sign it, and it's now sitting in a box in that cacher's house until they unpack, after they move, and that could be who knows when! I keep asking for it, but finding it is so hard to do right now. The goal of that one was to end up in Seattle, but after the Mayor signed it, the owner changed the goal to have it come back to me.

There's a photo of the mayor signing it, as he gives me a peck on the cheek. :rolleyes:

No, I was not grabbing his lapel! Security and his female friend were right behind him! LOL.

You might want to check out Bookcrossing too. I don't participate, but I found out about it from a cache.

I have one I just released

Check it out TB21HE4

It's up in Northern Canada right now.

Very Cool! Looks like signatures are adding up quickly! I can't wait to get mine out, I'm curious how fast I can get 511 names....

I'm dropping it in a TB CLUB CACHE this weekend while at a MEGA EVENT in West Bend, WI. We leave in 2 hours!

I had thought about doing just that, sending my favorite book as a travel bug. The Giver, I love that book, I loved it as a child and when I read it as an adult I could believe how different it was from when I read it as a child, there are just some things you don't get when you are a naive child, but it's still awesome.

I've got three book TBs, which I collectively call "Jackalgirl's S-F Book Club":

Lightning, by Dean Koontz

Other Times Than Peace, by David Drake

The Trouble With Aliens, by Christopher Anvil

I put them together for an event held by the MAGC in Baghdad, since I remembered how much I cherished books during my own deployment to the Persian Gulf.

I'll probably end up making some more TBs out of books and adding them to the club. Just finished Monster Hunters International, which was throughly enjoyable and would make a good addition, I think. : )

Next step: Jackalgirl's Sword & Sorcery Book Club. I'll TB up the "A Song of Fire and Ice" trilogy and get people addicted to George R. R. Martin. Muh hah hah hah hah!

Edited to add: I used my dremel to drill a hole in the upper left-hand corner of the book and left the TB chain long so that the TB could serve as a book mark. And I did stow each book in its own polybag to keep it relatively dry...

Edited by Jackalgirl

We've seen three notebooks with TB's

1) a blank notebook - write a page adding to a story that was growing as the book travelled

2) a furry backed blank notebook - write a joke before moving on

3) a tiny, Penguin themed notebook - add your caching handle and move on

for everything book related (or with an ISBN number) I use BookCrossing for the tracking and regularly release vac-sealed paperbacked fiction into caches

Edited by SaltercreaseRangers

THINKER

This one lasted a year and a half, and travelled 148 miles...

Would you believe it...its just been found again...check the logs!

It was idle for just under three years...and then 4 days after you made that post it reappeared...!

Ooh... now that's neat! :lol:

I wonder how he did that... super powers? :ph34r: