New CO cache/hide opinions?

While I am an "old fart" in the world, and have been around GPS devices since the late 80's and even been in a proffesion related to geocaching. (I was in Search & Rescue). I am still new at this sport.

Therefore... I am asking for opinions. Trying to learn new things. Especially how people decide about which cache/hides they choose to hunt for and those they don't.

Currently I have found about 34 caches... & have hidden 6.

All have been found. Half have had several DNF's. From MY point of view. A DNF isn't a bad thing. Just means it isn't too easy, too many though isn't good either, as it can discourage others from attempting the search. Feel free to take a look at my cache/hides and read the logs as well.

I find it interesting looking over my logs of my cache/hides at those who have attempted &/or found some of my hides but not others, & vice versa.

I also realize that everyone has different needs and desires from geocaching. Some love lampost hides, some do not. Others love caches that are park-n-grabs. Others even love caches that show them something new & different. Some love a challenge.

Because of this, I have tried to have caches that are different. I have three Park-n-Grabs that are in nice locations that will show someone something new & different. Both of those can be found in under 5 min. I have another that is easy to find, although will take some time and isn't a park-n-grab as it's on a nature trail. I have one puzzle-Multicache that I know isn't to hard, but involves math & some people dont' like math. I have done it as a memorial to my father, who was a math teacher. The last one... is rather easy, but does require some thinking but all waypoints on it are "park-n-grab" as well.

I am just curious to get peoples opinions of various aspects of my hides. (Based on what you read on the cache page & who has logged the finds/dnf's for them) One example is someone with over 10,000 finds logging a dnf for my cache where someone as new to geocaching as I am didn't have any issues finding my cache.

I will openly listen to any true constructive critisim, as long as your not rude or mean about it. Yes, I can take a little poking fun at & a joke as well. Don't have a problem with that as long as you can offer some honest advice.

Thanks

TGC

While I am an "old fart" in the world, and have been around GPS devices since the late 80's and even been in a proffesion related to geocaching. (I was in Search & Rescue). I am still new at this sport.

Therefore... I am asking for opinions. Trying to learn new things. Especially how people decide about which cache/hides they choose to hunt for and those they don't.

Currently I have found about 34 caches... & have hidden 6.

All have been found. Half have had several DNF's. From MY point of view. A DNF isn't a bad thing. Just means it isn't too easy, too many though isn't good either, as it can discourage others from attempting the search. Feel free to take a look at my cache/hides and read the logs as well.

I find it interesting looking over my logs of my cache/hides at those who have attempted &/or found some of my hides but not others, & vice versa.

I also realize that everyone has different needs and desires from geocaching. Some love lampost hides, some do not. Others love caches that are park-n-grabs. Others even love caches that show them something new & different. Some love a challenge.

Because of this, I have tried to have caches that are different. I have three Park-n-Grabs that are in nice locations that will show someone something new & different. Both of those can be found in under 5 min. I have another that is easy to find, although will take some time and isn't a park-n-grab as it's on a nature trail. I have one puzzle-Multicache that I know isn't to hard, but involves math & some people dont' like math. I have done it as a memorial to my father, who was a math teacher. The last one... is rather easy, but does require some thinking but all waypoints on it are "park-n-grab" as well.

I am just curious to get peoples opinions of various aspects of my hides. (Based on what you read on the cache page & who has logged the finds/dnf's for them) One example is someone with over 10,000 finds logging a dnf for my cache where someone as new to geocaching as I am didn't have any issues finding my cache.

I will openly listen to any true constructive critisim, as long as your not rude or mean about it. Yes, I can take a little poking fun at & a joke as well. Don't have a problem with that as long as you can offer some honest advice.

Thanks

TGC

As for choosing which caches I will look for, I pick an area and go. I will look for any cache, minimizing certain criteria. The criteria is a variable though. Sometimes I will go along a route and other times pick a radius, and even other times pick a certain cache but in all instances I am minimizing something. Either drive time, time in general, difficulty, or other factors. I never minimize my experience.

As for hiding. If you get a lot of DNFs, increase the difficulty rating of the cache. If you list it as a 2, people will expect it to be a 2 and DNF after they have searched a certain amount. If you have it as a higher rating, it will also be filtered out in some peoples searches for listings. I tend to ignore caches with a rating over 3.5 right now. I am not experienced, in my opinion, to reach that level. I will still download them, and have found a few higher than that, but under many circumstances, I ignore them.

I looked at one and left an appropriate log on it.

Leave your personal business issues off the Groundspeak pages.........

Just another nice park

I tend to agree with your comment. Geocaching is not a political soap box project.

I agree with you both and I also noticed he had it on all his caches accept his newest one

Edited by jasondulac

Just another nice park

Wow! Yeah. At the very least, needs editing. I seriously doubt that text was there when the reviewer published the cache. Talk about agenda!!

Just another nice park

I tend to agree with your comment. Geocaching is not a political soap box project.

Ditto to Bittsen. Geocaching is not a place to air your dirty laundry. :D

No offense, but your husband was the one that found your newest "tough" cache and had the benefit of hints that the other cachers did not have. The FTF found your final without the first two stages. Makes me think that you're overthinking the hiding part of caching and should find more caches before trying to become too crafty. You should consider the logs from your new cache and learn from them. Email the loggers and ask *their* opinions, not come to the forums for help unless it's really necessary. Our local North Texas group is very freindly and they will help you get started. :(

Just another nice park

Wow! Yeah. At the very least, needs editing. I seriously doubt that text was there when the reviewer published the cache. Talk about agenda!!

yep, the agenda needs to go away pretty soon or the caches likely will.

Yes the agenda must go!

Email to reviewer sent.

WOW, why not just let the CO have a chance to remove it before the reviewer was notified? A little MYOB goes a long way sometimes.

Mind your own business? The OP asked for people to critique their caches. What did you / they expect? This is an open forum with thousands of readers all over the world. :D

Yes the agenda must go!

Email to reviewer sent.

WOW, why not just let the CO have a chance to remove it before the reviewer was notified? A little MYOB goes a long way sometimes.

Mind your own business? The OP asked for people to critique their caches. What did you / they expect? This is an open forum with thousands of readers all over the world. :D

Yeah, but to contact the reviewers before the CO has a chance to edit the comments from his cache pages is a little intrusive.

It's like calling the cops on your neighbors for their loud party without asking the neighbor to keep it down.

I'm just saying the CO should have had a little time before the cops were called on him/her. I'm sure the cops have better things to do.

When the OP asked how to get rid of caches that might cause legislation to ban or limit geocaching because of these "bad apples", he was told that the current system works. That cachers who find caches in violation of the guidelines can post a Needs Archive and that the reviewers would take appropriate action. While the OP probably would consider the guidelines that Groundspeak uses to limit your speech on the cache page to be different from guidelines to get permission to place on private property, to not deface public or private property to hide a cache, or not hide caches where they are more likely to result in reports of suspicious activity or a suspicious package; these are not considered all that different by Groundspeak. The no agenda guideline is meant so that Groundspeak can present geocaching as a fun light activity. Politicians are generally more receptive to allowing fun recreational activities than ones that attract people with a chip on their shoulder. It wouldn't be funny if some lobbyist from the institution the OP has a problem with decided to push for legislation to ban geocaching because some geocacher was pushing an agenda against his client on the cache page and Groundspeak were to nothing to stop it.

As the OP asked, this is an actual critique of what I've looked at with his caches.

A few points:

Don't read too much into the fact that come caches have bothered to hunt for your hides and others haven't, or haven't looked for all for your hides. There could be numerous reasons for this, anything from they have other things to do, to they don't like what they think that cache is like, to they don't wish to hunt for a cache from someone so new to the game.

If you are getting DNFs on your hides, several in a row, other cachers will pretty much not bother to look figuring it's been muggled. In these cases, go out and find it, and log a note that you have checked and that it's there, or have performed maintenance on it and replaced it if it was in fact missing.

Newer caches have a harder time finding hides than those with experience. If someone with a lot of experience can't find your hide, it simple might be missing or you've had "cache drift" (where someone moves it outside the usual area someone might look).

Really, I am sorry you had a bad experience with your previous bank. My wife has been in banking for decades and I have heard the other side of these situations. They are often caused by someone not being fully informed about all that is involved in the banking process, sometimes their own fault, sometimes not.

But it is not appropriate to have such a vent session on your cache's pages.

I usually cache because I'm doing something else in the area and pick up a few while there. I also often cache based on picking out a location that has enough caches I haven't found and making a sweep of the area. I don't care what size the container is, or what style, or difficulty, I just give them all a try. I usually skip the multi caches and puzzle hides for another time. However, I'm just getting into puzzle caches, so I'll solve one, find out where I need to go to sign the log and pickup some traditional caches while in the area.

Edited by BBI Dragon

IMO, you haven't found enough caches to have 6 hides...but that's just my opinion. :D

I'm still a noob. I know it takes experience to be a good cache-finder, but who's to say who can and can't hide something? I think as long as it's out of the way of too many muggles and doesn't damage the environment a noob should be able to enjoy hiding too.

IMO, you haven't found enough caches to have 6 hides...but that's just my opinion. :D

I'm still a noob. I know it takes experience to be a good cache-finder, but who's to say who can and can't hide something? I think as long as it's out of the way of too many muggles and doesn't damage the environment a noob should be able to enjoy hiding too.

I never said he couldn't...I said, in my opinion, I didn't feel he had found enough to have hidden that many.

I realize there are people who never find a single cache, yet they like to hide caches.

We have (or should I say had) a local cacher who signed up, hid a cache, and then never logged in again. That piece of junk was the first cache I ever found, just a few blocks from my house. It is a horrible container, is damp/wet, and the only access is via a hole in a fence on a dead end street with 'No Parking Anytime' signs. And every time I look at my stats I wish it hadn't been my first. :(

My point being...a brand new geocacher often doesn't understand proper containers, log books/sheets, difficulty/terrain ratings, etc.

Especially how people decide about which cache/hides they choose to hunt for

If you learn some startling revelation, are you going to change your style? I ask this not to be a smart aleck, but in all seriousness. You are who you are, and that should be enough. You like what you like, (judging by comparing your finds to your hides), and that too should be enough. Why complicate the matter?

As for why a cacher might hunt one of your hides and not the others, the possibilities are legion. When I am guilty of this, it's usually because I discovered that the hider is utterly clueless regarding what is, and what is not, a quality container. If I find a black & grey film can out in the wild, I will most likely not hunt any more of that cacher's hides. The same goes for Altoids tins, M&M tubes, hide-a-keys, Ziplock baggies, Gladware or anything else completely incapable of protecting its contents in their environment. A cache hider who doesn't grasp the simple concept of waterproof vs. mildly moisture resistant is probably not going to hide the kind of caches I find appealing. (Note: There are always exceptions :D )

So, what does the dumber half of the Riffster Clan like to find?

It's kinda hard to describe in a defensible manner, but those who understand, get it right away. Those who don't, usually never will.

In a nutshell, I like caches that routinely generate longer than average logs. (Yup, there are exceptions to this, as well)

I never said he couldn't...I said, in my opinion, I didn't feel he had found enough to have hidden that many.

I realize there are people who never find a single cache, yet they like to hide caches.

We have (or should I say had) a local cacher who signed up, hid a cache, and then never logged in again. That piece of junk was the first cache I ever found, just a few blocks from my house. It is a horrible container, is damp/wet, and the only access is via a hole in a fence on a dead end street with 'No Parking Anytime' signs. And every time I look at my stats I wish it hadn't been my first. :D

My point being...a brand new geocacher often doesn't understand proper containers, log books/sheets, difficulty/terrain ratings, etc.

While I tend to agree with your opinion, I have to say that I have seen some pretty bad caches hidden by "seasoned" geocachers as well. Sopping wet logs, inappropriate containers, etc. It's not exclusive to newcomers.

As a side note, you could delete your log for your first cache. Pretend it never happened. I won't tell anyone, I promise. :(

Edited by bittsen

Yes the agenda must go!

Email to reviewer sent.

Agreed. The reviewer already was notified by Starbrand's Needs Archived log. Email was redundant.

Yes the agenda must go!

Email to reviewer sent.

Agreed. The reviewer already was notified by Starbrand's Needs Archived log. Email was redundant.

The SBA log was too much as well. The cache is viable, can be found, and the problem with it is no crisis demanding an immediate archival. The reviewer will email the owner about as fast as the owner will read this thread.

We have (or should I say had) a local cacher who signed up, hid a cache, and then never logged in again. That piece of junk was the first cache I ever found, just a few blocks from my house. It is a horrible container, is damp/wet, and the only access is via a hole in a fence on a dead end street with 'No Parking Anytime' signs. And every time I look at my stats I wish it hadn't been my first. :(

Thanks for clearing that up.

Like I said, I'm a noob and haven't found that many caches. I am, however, looking forward to hiding caches as I see a lot of room for creativity. I've already hidden one that is awaiting review but DO plan on getting more finds under my belt before I hide anymore. I appreciate your insight....for the record I used a water-tight container and put a Rite-in-the-Rain log inside a ziplock baggie :)

I always thought of it as a Mendoza line type of thing with quality of container/swag on one axis and quality of location on the other. An ammo box in a crappy location falls below the line as does a blinkie on a cool hiking trail.

As for choosing which caches I will look for, I pick an area and go. I will look for any cache, minimizing certain criteria. The criteria is a variable though. Sometimes I will go along a route and other times pick a radius, and even other times pick a certain cache but in all instances I am minimizing something. Either drive time, time in general, difficulty, or other factors. I never minimize my experience.

As for hiding. If you get a lot of DNFs, increase the difficulty rating of the cache. If you list it as a 2, people will expect it to be a 2 and DNF after they have searched a certain amount. If you have it as a higher rating, it will also be filtered out in some peoples searches for listings. I tend to ignore caches with a rating over 3.5 right now. I am not experienced, in my opinion, to reach that level. I will still download them, and have found a few higher than that, but under many circumstances, I ignore them.

That all makes perfect sense to me. Since the difficulty and terrain rating are 100% objective with NO types of guidelines to follow. (At least none that I have been able to find on geocaching.com) It is hard to determine what is the appropriate difficulty and terrain rating to put.

I say that.. because what seems easy for me, is difficult for others, as well as some being easy for others that I find difficult! Same thing goes for terrain. I have climbed many a mountains. So what is easy for me is obviously more difficult for others.

I think you should hide the types of caches that you enjoy reading the details of the search attempt. The DNF stuff is just a small part of caching. It happens and unless it gives you details about a real problem with your cache it's all just one person's try.

Forget about trying to cover every cache type because not everyone likes every cache. (Say that fast)

Bottom line, do what you enjoy.

That all makes perfect sense to me. Since the difficulty and terrain rating are 100% objective with NO types of guidelines to follow. (At least none that I have been able to find on geocaching.com) It is hard to determine what is the appropriate difficulty and terrain rating to put.

I say that.. because what seems easy for me, is difficult for others, as well as some being easy for others that I find difficult! Same thing goes for terrain. I have climbed many a mountains. So what is easy for me is obviously more difficult for others.

So now you're going to add your rant about the bank that you don't like to every cache that you find? That's a good alternative. Good grief. :D:(

No offense, but your husband was the one that found your newest "tough" cache and had the benefit of hints that the other cachers did not have. The FTF found your final without the first two stages. Makes me think that you're overthinking the hiding part of caching and should find more caches before trying to become too crafty. You should consider the logs from your new cache and learn from them. Email the loggers and ask *their* opinions, not come to the forums for help unless it's really necessary. Our local North Texas group is very freindly and they will help you get started. :D

Ummmm you were looking at my wifes cache/hide I think. Not mine? It was/is her first cache.

She isn't on the forums. She doesn't do any forums of any kind that I know of. I am a member of a good dozen or so forums. At least on those forums you come there to ask for opinions and advice.

Personally... While I enjoy helping others. I personaly would find it very aggravating for CO's to email me and ask for my opinion on their cache hide. Some cache/hides that I have found I wouldn't have a problem with offering my opinion, others I would rather not be asked. So I am very hesitant about "Bugging" any of those who have made a find/DNF on any of my current cache/hides to ask their opinion.

Now while I don't really like the thought of someone emailing me & asking what my opinion was of their cache/hide. I do NOT have a problem with people emailing me for HINTS.

Now about the statement... [ORIGINAL COMMENT EDITED & DELETED] Statement in my cache/hide postings has now been removed. I do not wish to discuss the appropriateness of the statement in my cache/hides nor do I wish to argue the issue on this. That is why I have edited this paragraph.

Edited by texasgrillchef

Not exactly subjective (which is what I guess you meant). On the cache placement form, by the D & T ratings, there is a link: Try this system to rate your cache.) Use it. It really does go a LONG ways towards standardizing D&T ratings.

It is a statement/opinion no different than many peoples tag lines. If that is considered an agenda. Then so are MOST peoples taglines.

Yes, there is a difference. "Tag lines" or Signature lines are in the forums and not on cache pages. You may not recognize the difference, but there is one.

No offense, but your husband was the one that found your newest "tough" cache and had the benefit of hints that the other cachers did not have. The FTF found your final without the first two stages. Makes me think that you're overthinking the hiding part of caching and should find more caches before trying to become too crafty. You should consider the logs from your new cache and learn from them. Email the loggers and ask *their* opinions, not come to the forums for help unless it's really necessary. Our local North Texas group is very freindly and they will help you get started. :D

Ummmm you were looking at my wifes cache/hide I think. Not mine? It was/is her first cache.

She isn't on the forums. She doesn't do any forums of any kind that I know of. I am a member of a good dozen or so forums. At least on those forums you come there to ask for opinions and advice.

Personally... While I enjoy helping others. I personaly would find it very aggravating for CO's to email me and ask for my opinion on their cache hide. Some cache/hides that I have found I wouldn't have a problem with offering my opinion, others I would rather not be asked. So I am very hesitant about "Bugging" any of those who have made a find/DNF on any of my current cache/hides to ask their opinion.

Now while I don't really like the thought of someone emailing me & asking what my opinion was of their cache/hide. I do NOT have a problem with people emailing me for HINTS.

Now about the statement... legally speaking... my statement isn't an agenda, nor does it violate the geocaching.com guidelines as they are currently written.

"Caches that Solicit

Solicitations are off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda"

My cache/posting isn't soliciting.

"Commercial Caches

Commercial caches will not be published on geocaching.com without prior approval from Groundspeak. A commercial cache is a geocache listing or geocache which is perceived by Groundspeak, Groundspeak's employees, or the Volunteer Geocache Reviewers as having been submitted to geocaching.com with the principal or substantial intent of soliciting customers or generating commercial gain. The geocache is presumed to be commercial if the finder is required to go inside a business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, or if the cache listing has overtones of advertising, marketing, or promotion.

Additionally, links to businesses, commercial advertisers, charities, political or social agendas, or the inclusion of their associated logos are not permitted on cache descriptions without prior permission from Groundspeak."

My cache/posting isn't commercial in nature as I am not advocating or requiring or not requiring you to do business with them.

It is a statement/opinion no different than many peoples tag lines. If that is considered an agenda. Then so are MOST peoples taglines.

I am somewhat confident that your statements on your cache pages will be considered to be promoting an agenda and you will be asked to remove them. Of course I could very well be wrong. Just my opinion.

First off, I want to thank you for taking the time to offer some actual usefull contructive critisism, opinions and observations. I found them very helpfull....

As the OP asked, this is an actual critique of what I've looked at with his caches.

A few points:

Don't read too much into the fact that come caches have bothered to hunt for your hides and others haven't, or haven't looked for all for your hides. There could be numerous reasons for this, anything from they have other things to do, to they don't like what they think that cache is like, to they don't wish to hunt for a cache from someone so new to the game.

I tend to be a very very curious type of person. I have thought of the obvious reasons that some caches weren't hunted for while others were. Time, availability and even the type of cache hide. I thought I mentioned this in my original post but it is possible I wasn't clear. I realize after reading some other threads that some people don't like lampost hides, or even park-n-grabs. Others don't want to take the time to Hikeing/Bikeing to a cache/hide. Two of my hides require hiking/biking to get too. I only asked part of this question as to see if there were OTHER reasons that I hadn't thought of.

If you are getting DNFs on your hides, several in a row, other cachers will pretty much not bother to look figuring it's been muggled. In these cases, go out and find it, and log a note that you have checked and that it's there, or have performed maintenance on it and replaced it if it was in fact missing.

Newer caches have a harder time finding hides than those with experience. If someone with a lot of experience can't find your hide, it simple might be missing or you've had "cache drift" (where someone moves it outside the usual area someone might look).

Most of the DNF's that were posted the geocacher in question admitted an error on their part & went back and found it later. Both after I had given them some insightfull help. I then tweaked my encrypted hint/description some to clarify the issues they had. I did this in hopes that future cache hunters would not have the same issues they did. However.... Yes.... if in the future I get a few DNF's that seem like might not be there. I will absolutely go check on it's status.

Really, I am sorry you had a bad experience with your previous bank. My wife has been in banking for decades and I have heard the other side of these situations. They are often caused by someone not being fully informed about all that is involved in the banking process, sometimes their own fault, sometimes not.

But it is not appropriate to have such a vent session on your cache's pages.

I wont' argue this point as to if I agree or not about the geocaching/Groundspeak rules on this. I also won't argue about the bank situation and the banking industry. Other than we all know the banking industry has had it's issues lately! Including the bank in question. However... the statement in question has been removed from all my cache/hide postings. The postings in this thread that I made prior to this post... will be deleted/edited.

I usually cache because I'm doing something else in the area and pick up a few while there. I also often cache based on picking out a location that has enough caches I haven't found and making a sweep of the area. I don't care what size the container is, or what style, or difficulty, I just give them all a try. I usually skip the multi caches and puzzle hides for another time. However, I'm just getting into puzzle caches, so I'll solve one, find out where I need to go to sign the log and pickup some traditional caches while in the area.

That sounds logical. Almost how I hunt for cache/hides. Depends on what I am doing, where I am going and how much time I have &/or want to spend.

One question I have for you. How do you find difficulty ratings? What I mean by that is how accurate are they based on your experiances? Overrated? Underated? That is the CO rated it more difficult or less difficult than it actually was?

Thanks

TGC

I wasn't going to comment on your original post about lack of experiance and hiding caches... but now you have clarified your point of view I feel like I should now.

Normally I would agree with you. A noob doesn't normally have an understandin of proper containers, log books/sheets etc...

However.... like everything in life... there are ALWAYS exceptions to every rule! Even this rule has exceptions! :D

The thing is being that I have been in Search & Rescue and have been a very "outdoors" type of person for many years, proper containers is something I know very well about. Waterproofing is something I wish even MORE experianced CO's would think about but actually DON'T! I actually tested all of my containers by placing underwater for 15 min and checking for leaks. All of my waypoints are printed on laminated cards.

As far as log books/sheets. Geocaching makes it very very easy. You can buy log books directly from Groundspeak.com &/or print out useable log sheets directly from geocaching.com. As far as containers go. You can even buy geocaching containers directly from Groundspeak.com as well.

Now where a noob even myself might have issues is HOW, WHERE a cache/hide is made & all the considerations that should be made. This is EXACTLY WHY I started this thread.

In placing my cache/hides my FIRST desire is to make the hunt fun, challenging without being to easy or too difficult for the average person. Although as a memorial to my father, I did create a puzzle/multi-cache to honor his being a math teacher. That one probably won't be any fun unless you like doing math!

So am I to assume... that you don't hunt for cache/hides from noobs?

TGC

One example is someone with over 10,000 finds logging a dnf for my cache where someone as new to geocaching as I am didn't have any issues finding my cache.
One advantage a new geocacher can have is freedom from preconceived notions of where the cache "must" be hidden. I recently found a cache that was a relatively easy find (hidden in plain sight, using a type of camouflage that I've seen many times before), but it was hidden in an area that suggested a completely different type of hide. Several logs by experienced geocachers mentioned spending a lot of time looking for the obvious type of hide, before shifting gears and finding the cache the owner had actually hid.

Yes the agenda must go!

Email to reviewer sent.

Mind your own business? The OP asked for people to critique their caches. What did you / they expect? This is an open forum with thousands of readers all over the world. :P

Yeah, but to contact the reviewers before the CO has a chance to edit the comments from his cache pages is a little intrusive.

It's like calling the cops on your neighbors for their loud party without asking the neighbor to keep it down.

I'm just saying the CO should have had a little time before the cops were called on him/her. I'm sure the cops have better things to do.

The cache owner had ample opportunity to edit his cache pages. He was, after all, the one who wrote them up when he submitted his caches. This was a choice the CO made. Those comments (and the subsequent notes he's left in the logs) were not an oversight. He chose to push his agenda on his cache page.

Yes the agenda must go!

Email to reviewer sent.

The SBA log was too much as well. The cache is viable, can be found, and the problem with it is no crisis demanding an immediate archival. The reviewer will email the owner about as fast as the owner will read this thread.

The SBA was an appropriate log. It brings the issue to the reviewers attention immediately and it seems to have prompted the CO to edit his listing, so it served its purpose. The cache will live on as long as the CO stays within the guidelines.

Bruce

Ample opportunity? The CO came here and asked for advice and constructive criticism. Part of that criticism was to remove the offending verbiage. Almost immediately people started hitting the panic button. The reviewer was notified at least twice within an hour of the original posting of this thread. That doesn't sound like much of an opportunity.

I will say - thanks for removing the comments about your business issues. HOWEVER - you then LOGGED A NOTE WITH THE SAME COMMENTS. Did you not get the hint? And on a personal note - I have been doing business with them for a long time now and have never had issues. Take a hint.

Kojones

The geocaching.com site points to the following rating suggestions http://www.clayjar.com/gcrs/

When you create the entries for your caches, on the "Report/Edit a Cache Listing" page, right next to where you select the difficulty and terrain ratings, you'll find that link.

Yeah, changing to a note really isn't changing much. The point is to leave the outside stuff outside of geocaching.

Playing Devils Advocate for a moment.

The disparaging remarks about the certain bank isn't really all that different than anyone who adds a bible verse on a page, cache log, or signature. IMHO

Playing Devils Advocate for a moment.

The disparaging remarks about the certain bank isn't really all that different than anyone who adds a bible verse on a page, cache log, or signature. IMHO

I would say it depends on the content of the biblical quote. Exodus 9:9, for example, might be inappropriate.

I would say it depends on the content of the biblical quote. Exodus 9:9, for example, might be inappropriate.

I respectfully disagree. Biblical quotes are just as much of an agenda as someone who, for instance, makes personal belief comments about a bank or racially motivated comments, or the like.

Either the rule applies to everybody or nobody.

I agree that the comment needed to go, even though an overwhelming majority probably agree with it. Too bad some chose to handle that inappropriately by posting an SBA and sending messages to the reviewer rather than an email direct to you. Luckily the reviewers tend to be not as knee jerk in their reactions.

Sometime experience goes out the window when hunting caches. I have seen people with 6000 finds not find a 1/1 that new cachers walk right up to. They either over think it or just plain miss it. As to using clayjar, it's probably adequete when you are new but very inaccurate once you get a handle on rating your caches.

As to the lack of experience, I too am one who believes that you should get a number of hides under your belt before hiding so you can see a good mix of different types and styles. In another thread a newer cacher hid a LPS and got upset when it got muggled and decided to rip the last finder. Didn't know what LPS or LPC meant and could have saved a lot of angst if they knew the sometimes temporary nature of that type of hide.

Having given my justification for that view, on paper your caches look fine. Other than that, I will have to wait till my next trip down there to comment otherwise.

Edited by baloo&bd

IMO, you haven't found enough caches to have 6 hides...but that's just my opinion. :P

I don't fully agree with that. I had hidden one when I only had 3 finds. Its still going strong. I am sure there are some cachers out there that have more fun hiding the caches then finding them.

I wouldn't see anything wrong with some one hiding one with out 1 find.

But I do agree he should not have put that on his cache pages, but I do see that it has been changed, but has left a note in the log about it. He should probably delete that as well.