A TUNNEL CACHE

So i planted a geo in a short train tunnel along a desolate mountain side. There is plenty of room on the side if a train came by. But, i was wondering if any one would attempt to search for it? would you?

(the cache already got rejected by geocaching.com but i could always place coordinates somewhere else and have it as a mystery cache, leading to the tunnel)

thoughts? too dangerous for you?

(the cache already got rejected by geocaching.com but i could always place coordinates somewhere else and have it as a mystery cache, leading to the tunnel )

No, you could not. Your reviewer is going to ask for the coordinates for the final stage, and if that's in the tunnel, you are going to have some serious trust issues to work out with him.

I haven't checked yet to see what country you are in, but at least in the U.S., the railroad rule is based on some extremely strict and severe trespassing laws. Danger has nothing to do with it.

So i planted a geo in a short train tunnel along a desolate mountain side. There is plenty of room on the side if a train came by. But, i was wondering if any one would attempt to search for it? would you?

(the cache already got rejected by geocaching.com but i could always place coordinates somewhere else and have it as a mystery cache, leading to the tunnel)

Um A disused train line/tunnel I would go look, but an active line/tunnel I don't even think it meets the guidlines. -Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In the United States we generally use a distance of 150 ft (46 m) but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply.

By making it a Mystery the reviewer will still get to see the final co-ords as a waypoint which are hiden on the cache page.

By "somewhere else" I assumed he meant on a private website or something. So while it's probably still illegal, there's no one really stopping him from posting coords.

Would I search for it? Depends. I'd have to see it. I've been in an old tunnel on a seldom used line before. While there was very little chance a train would come, and there was probably room to get out of the way if it did, I was still pretty nervous the whole time I was in there. Counting the rock walls on either end of the tunnel, there was probably close to a quarter mile where clearance would be iffy. It was longer than it looked from the end. I wasn't caching, just exploring local history.

All in all, this sounds like a bad idea.

Edited by Wallydraigle

As above, the tresspass laws of railroad operations are pretty strict and there's no wiggle-room. IMO, this would be an irresponsible hide. Just because you think the train tracks are unused doesn't mean that they actually are.

I would not attempt this type of hide and I would vote it down over at Terracaching.

As JAB showed, this situation is already covered in the cache placing policies of this site.

Nope, I wouldn't look for it on an active train line. Room or not it is an illegal hide and could get me and you in serious trouble.

And if someone got hurt finding it you would feel terrible for the rest of your life not to mention lonely and broke in the jail cell after your trial.

Sounds exciting & would be quite a rush, but nope... it definitely goes against the geocaching rules.

So i planted a geo in a short train tunnel along a desolate mountain side. There is plenty of room on the side if a train came by.

Are you insane?

Aw, come on.. Be nice.

What would be insane is to look for little hidden treasures all over the place just so you can sign a little piece of paper.

:D

But, i was wondering if any one would attempt to search for it? would you?

It looks like the guideline angle has been addressed sufficiently, so I'll answer this bit.

If I could alter reality long enough to make my hunt lawful, I'd jump at the chance. Sounds like a hoot!

I love trains... I love tunnels... I love mountains...

(but I don't love the insides of prisons) :D

But, i was wondering if any one would attempt to search for it? would you?

It looks like the guideline angle has been addressed sufficiently, so I'll answer this bit.

If I could alter reality long enough to make my hunt lawful, I'd jump at the chance. Sounds like a hoot!

I love trains... I love tunnels... I love mountains...

(but I don't love the insides of prisons) :D

If it were legal, I would hunt it too.

I used to roam the RR tracks a lot when I was MUCH younger. Was even mugged in a RR tunnel.

I also don't like the inside of prisons but if I have a choice, I want to be stuck in a womens prison.

So i planted a geo in a short train tunnel along a desolate mountain side. There is plenty of room on the side if a train came by.

Are you insane?

Aw, come on.. Be nice.

What would be insane is to look for little hidden treasures all over the place just so you can sign a little piece of paper.

Pot, meet kettle. Fill in the rest of the blanks yourself.

Are you insane?

Aw, come on.. Be nice.

;):ph34r::cool::)

I wouldn't recommend this sort of thing because Volunteer Reviewers read the Forums too :D

Besides, it would take about one Find/DNF on the cache to get reported and quickly Archived.

There's tons of beautiful places down in SLO. I'm sure you can find something better.

Edited by Nomex

Are you insane?

No kidding. I don't think the cache hider has ever seen what a train can do to a person. I would never set foot in an active tunnel.

So let me get this straight. You are deliberatly trying to circumvent the rules listed by Groundspeak, that you agreed to when you signed up?

I suggest Groundspeak delete your membership immediately.

Coming from someone who just got a thread locked for endless arguing with other members, thinnly veiled insults towards them, & insinuating that you were going to make marks/writing/graffiti on a piece of property which didn't belong to you, because you KNEW a geocacher is the one who unscrewed the lid....although you have absolutely no proof of that.

Hummm....don't think I'd be trying to get others banned for behaviour which you yourself are also guilty of.

JMO & 2 cents.

As the reviewer who looked at your cache, I found this very interesting.

It was all a test on the highest security and safety of geocaching.com. Well done Sir you have passed.